Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? Reviews

jjnxn
January 5, 2014
Frothy, fun comedy with some smart jabs at advertising and fan worship. Tony Randall is a hoot as the suddenly fish out of water main character and Jayne Mansfield, repeating her stage triumph, is a knockout and proves an adapt comedienne. Had she had more roles like this her career at the top might not have been so short. Joan Blondell scores strongly as Jayne's right hand woman.
May 13, 2012
Witty, entertaining comedy starring Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield in the role that made her famous.
May 29, 2009
Tony Randall steals the show here, and camp queen Jayne Mansfield is a bit annoying (she's used to better effect in "The Girl Can't Help It," but this is still a classy, first class comedy.
½ July 10, 2007
"Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" is a witty, entertaining comedy starring Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield in the role that made her famous. Mansfield is simply "divoon" as the quintessential blonde bombshell, Rita Marlowe. This film is a good place to start for new fans of Jayne Mansfield.
½ April 18, 2014
A tad over the top at times, but still a very funny and charming movie to boot.
August 4, 2013
This movie is hilarious and definitely stands the test of time. All most viewers need us a very brief understanding of the 50s
December 28, 2008
Delightful comedy on the advertising business. Tony Randall is terrific, Jayne Mansfield is very memorable, the supporting cast is great. Smartly written and very entertaining throughout.
January 29, 2007
This was a way better movie than I was expecting. Jayne Mansfield's character is a moron, but she's clearly intended to be one. It has nothing to do with the actress--or at least, it doesn't [i]necessarily[/i] have anything to do with the actress. I can't say for sure. (According to one of the bios at IMDB, it didn't; she allegedly had an IQ of 163!) The squeak got annoying, though.

Her once-husband Mickey Hargitay is in this, too, as "Bobo the Jungle Man." Also appearing (all uncredited!) are Groucho Marx, Barbara Eden, and Majel Barrett. Mostly, though, it's Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield playing games.

I like the self-parody of the movie. Tony Randall is delightfully confused, especially given that he plays himself for bits here and there throughout the movie. I like the interlude "for television viewers." I mean, we're talking 1957, here. Half the cast did or ended up doing television, including Tony Randall himself, who'd done fifteen episodes of [i]Mister Peepers[/i]. Still, these were the days where TV was the biggest threat to the motion picture industry imaginable.

Right now, it's DVDs. And frankly, yeah, easily 90% of the movies I've reviewed in here, I've seen at home one way or another. Part of that is that I don't get out much, of course. Also, you'll note, a lot of the movies I watch are at least ten years old. They're ones I haven't gotten around to in one way or another.

The other thing is . . . going to the movies isn't as fun anymore, and only part of that is because I miss going with Graham. (Part of it is also the two bus rides I have to take to [i]get[/i] to the theatre!) I'm tired of the commercials. I'm tired of how [i]bad[/i] a lot of the new movies are. [i]Eragon[/i], as I think I made very clear, sucked, and it was hugely hyped for fantasy buffs.

Yeah, there are movies that I miss in theatres that I'd see had I money and transportation. Heck, I can name three or more that are out right now. (Well, it is just before Oscars.) But I watch movie ads, or [i]Roeper and Whoever's Guest Starring This Week[/i], and I think, "Who in Gods' names would pay money to see that?" Heck, most of the time, I wouldn't bother getting them out of the library.

But I liked this movie. Even though I'm morally certain Mae West did a slow burn over it. It's still better than most of hers.