97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Winnie the Pooh Reviews

thmtsang
thmtsang

June 1, 2013
Eeyore has lost his tail. There's a competition to find him a new tail.
Spencer S

July 14, 2011
A strong revamp from Walt Disney, Winnie the Pooh is as sweet and nostalgic as the original was back in the seventies. Using newer voice actors, most of whom are spot on, this version has some of the same basic plot points as the original. Pooh is still as sumptuous and gluttonous as ever, masked by his neverending quest for some honey, to be with his good friend Christopher Robin, and spend his summers with his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood. The original looks more on the storytelling aspect of A.A. Milne's books, while this version is more intent on focusing on the characters and their eccentricities. While it loses some of its saccharine innocence by presuming the audience knows everything about the books, films, and television series, it still focuses on their blunders and misunderstandings, which is trivial yet enjoyable. The new songs are refreshing and catchy as ever. Tigger is still ignorant yet filled with boundless energy, Kanga and Roo still come off as a motherly presence and her son, and Piglet is still the unassuming little voice. It has been noted that these are the figments and pieces of Christopher Robin's psyche, which is evident, and makes their actions and inactions all the better. There are several shorts put together just like the original, and each is as childlike and true as the airy voice of Winnie the Pooh. A great way to delve back into my childhood and my love for Tigger, who shines yet again as the blustered misanthrope.
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

July 27, 2011
Directed by Stephen J. Anderson & Don Hall, Walt Disney Studios, 2011. Jim Cummings, Craig Ferguson and John Cleese.

Genre: Animation, Family

Question: Do you ever get those days, weeks maybe, when nothing seems to cheer you up much? Life as adult isn't easy sometimes with thoughts of responsibilities and more that can overwhelm you. Do you dream of a simpler time when such worries were like the following: hoping twilight would last longer so you can catch more fireflies; figuring out how to hide most of the lima beans in your napkin or under the mashed potatoes; or begging on bent knee to stay up to see Tatoo yell "Da plane! Da Plane!" Yep, me too.

Well, I am here to tell you I magically transported back to my youth today when I took my kids to see the latest Winnie the Pooh movie.... Okay, I admit I really wanted to see it and I dragged my kids so I didn't seem like a crazy middle-aged lady seeing a kid's movie by herself. I needed a movie like this. No superheros, no people falling in or out of love, and no mystery/thriller would have made me happy. (The fact that my son didn't beg me on bent knee to see Captain America still shocks me though.)

We walked into the theater and my kids were the oldest children, by far, and I may have even been the oldest Winnie the Pooh fan there but I didn't care. I was ready to forget about the outside world for the next hour or so.

Previews came and went and then in traditional Walt Disney fashion there was a short: The Ballad of Nessie. A sweet Scottish tale of how Nessie came to live in the Loch. Billy Connolly narrated the poem and the screen had tartan patterns popping up everywhere. A little cliche but I loved it. Its animation was just like the cartoons I grew up watching. I was content for the first time in weeks.

The short ended and the main attraction started. Again, the animation was a throw back to my youth and I couldn't have been happier. John Cleese started the film with his narration with waking or trying to wake up Pooh and soon the adventure started. All the cast of characters were there: Pooh, Tigger, Roo, Kanga, Owl, Christopher Robin, Rabbit and my favorite, Piglet. Oh, and Eeyore, how can I forget him? Sorry, Eeyore.

Now there was nothing spectacular with the story or the art but it was a pure Winnie the Pooh tale. It was perfect. The lovable bear just wanted to find some honey while he and his friends got into some misunderstanding/adventure in the 100 acre wood. I was grinning ear-to-ear from beginning to end.

The band of friends showed that no one had to do something wrong to another to tell an interesting story. They worked together to help a friend and in the most sincere way. All anyone wanted to do was be a friend. So simple but so powerful. This is a tale I want my children to witness time and time again.

This was a musical - of sorts with some quirky but toe-tapping tunes only Disney can compose. But what got me grinning was that I felt like a kid again. You could see the hand-drawn animation with no one trying to convince me to wear 3D glasses or sit in the larger IMAX screen just so the studios could make a few extra.

To me, this may have been someone's idea that simple is good and nostalgia is what sells because nothing beats harking back to the days when you skinned your knee and a mother's kiss fixes it all. There is nothing wrong with that. Not one thing.

Grab your kids, grand-kids or even a date. This is a sweet movie that delivers and will shake those blues that hover over you.

My favorite thing: Piglet. Oh, and Tigger, too.

My least favorite thing: That is wasn't longer but I am not sure my cheeks could have handled smiling for more.

Rating: G
Length: 69 minutes

Review: 9 out of 10
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 18, 2011
WTP?

Good movie! Overall, delightful, charming and a lovely nostalgic trip down memory lane, if only it wasn't so short. Recommended for all kids!

During an ordinary day in Hundred Acre Wood, Winnie the Pooh sets out to find some honey. Misinterpreting a note from Christopher Robin, Owl convinces Tigger, Rabbit, Piglet,Pooh, Kanga, Roo, and Eeyore that their young friend has been captured by a creature named "Backsoon" and they set out to save him.
Adriel L

March 3, 2012
I couldn't stop giggling. I'm so sorry, but this is too good for those who don't understand the value of sincerity, a wonderful, silly hodge-podge narrative, and just plain ticklish fun. As ticklish as Pooh can get and his ravenous tummy wiggles.
Everett J

January 18, 2012
Ah, Winnie the Pooh, what is not the love about a yellow bear that loves nothing more than the sweet taste of honey? "Winnie the Pooh" is just a new adventure featuring all the classic characters. Winnie, Tigger, Owl, Eeyore, Piglet, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit, and Christopher Robin are all here, and as good as ever. Eeyore has lost his tail, and the gang then begins to find him a new tail, while Pooh is on the search for honey because his tummy won't stop growling for it. Featuring new songs by the fantastic Zooey Deschanel, this is a great trip down memory lane, and a good way to introduce a new generation to Pooh. Runs at only an hour long, it feels short, but perfectly timed at the same time. I really hope they continue to release more Pooh movies like this. Animated movies have felt like they were missing something lately, and I think Pooh fills that void nicely. Harmless, family fun that everyone should, and will enjoy.
Luke B

January 14, 2012
It's a strange and sad little world we live in when trash like The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Cars 2 are so popular. Especially when there are wonderful alternatives such as this latest offering of Pooh. I would like to congratulate Disney on giving us such a funny and heartwarming family film. Not once do they devolve into pop-culture gags, thank god. Those types of jokes aren't funny and they actually make me angry. This film was hilarious. From Eeyore's assurance that Owl did sneeze, to Roo suggesting Piglet go down the pit "Send the pig!". Cleese narrates this series of adventures loosely strung together by Pooh's search for honey, and a replacement tail for Eeyore. There is also a monster known as the Bakson. The gang join together in their special ways and give us a series of songs that highlight the beauty of Pooh. Pooh is obviously struggling with a pretty serious addiction, whilst Eeyore faces the challenge of depression. The film is set out as a book. We see the characters breaking the fourth wall, and leaping over letters. Even using them as tools at times. The animation is traditional 2D and looks amazing. I loved the voice work, even with some of the classic voices being replaced. Fergusen makes a very know-it-all Owl, and Luckey has the perfect Eeyore voice. I was also surprised that they managed to capture the sweet essence of childhood, all the way to the final credits, where we see the truth to all the imagination. The only problem was at 60 mins, it didn't feel entirely complete. I hope this will be the film that parents show to their kids, rather than all the other crap that is out there.
Red L

December 28, 2011
Not a very good film. The story and artwork was too simple -- no where as good as Ice Age (for instance). I suppose the fact that it teaches a moral (look after your neighbours before yourself) is a plus.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
Cast: Jim Cummings, John Cleese, Craig Ferguson, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Jack Boulter, Wyatt Dean Hall, Tom Kenny, Bud Luckey, Travis Oates, Huell Howser

Director: Stephen J. Anderson, Don Hall

Summary: Winnie the Pooh and his loyal friends return to the big screen with an updated, hand-drawn adventure in the Hundred Acre Wood: helping an incomplete Eeyore find a new tail that won't be too much of a bother.

My Thoughts: "The film is simply sweet, cute, funny, and charming. My niece's and nephew's loved the movie. I loved it as well. I have been such a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh ever since I was very young. I had many Winnie the Pooh toys growing up. I love all the films and the cartoon. It's a classic that never grows old. It's a film for all who love the Hundred Acre Woods."
Lewis C

February 13, 2011
"Ever have one of those days where you just can't win, Eeyore?"

It's a charmingly animated and amusing new Winnie the Pooh tale with a soundtrack by Zooey Deschanel. That's literally all the information you need. If you loved Pooh as a little kid (or a not so little kid) or you have kids of your own, you simply can't go wrong with this warm story of friendship, honey, missing tails, a villainous "Backson", and a very hungry stuffed bear named Pooh.

Some of the new voices take some time to get used to, but this is such a beautifully drawn feast for the eyes and I found it far funnier than someone my age probably should have. It was a genuinely clever movie, with a surprising amount of jokes (if you love puns, you'll be in stitches) that will fly directly over the heads of young ones but score direct hits for those who are older. Winnie the Pooh is truly something that people of all ages can enjoy. It's short, too, so even the little ones of the family with their frequently tiny attention spans can probably make it all the way through.

And where else are you going to find a song that existentially proves that everything is made of honey?
Kyle F.
Kyle F.

August 13, 2011
It's fun and simple, and it captures the spirit of Pooh that I've been hungry for more of for a while, but it also ditches some traditional pooh-isms that I was looking forward to seeing back on the big screen. Overall a clever, funny, charming film, just a few lazy songs away from an 80%.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 7, 2011
Disney hand drawn animation has done it again. The story consists of many story segments, but the main one is Pooh trying to find honey, but other stories are everyone trying to find Eeyore a new tail and everyone thinking Christopher Robin was taken by a monster called the Backson when they read a sign Christopher left that says Back Soon. Winnie the Pooh is the first hand drawn animated film by Disney since Princess and the Frog, and although its not as good as that, it brought me back to my younger days when my mom would put in the Winiw the Pooh original film, in other words it reminded me of when I was very young, and thats true magic. The voice actors do a great job at voicing these legendary characters, and although I didn't enjoys the voice acting of Tom Kenny as Rabbit because he was using his SpongeBob voice too much, I have to admit I started to like it after a while. The songs were good in my opinion, but after Princess and the Frog I was expecting some more groundbreaking songs, but Zooey Deshanel made a great new version of the opening song. The plot is many different stories put into one, Pooh wanting honey, Eyyore missing a tail, the friends believing Christophger Robin has been taken by a monster, and Tigger trying to make Eeyore his sidekick, and overall, it was quite cute little story for younger kids, which adults need to realize thats who this movie is aimed at, and for those who were raiosed on Winnie the Pooh. My only problem was the movie is only about an hour long, and shouldve been made straight to video in my opinion. This was a great animated movie, and Disney should keep up the good work.
Screeny
Screeny

August 1, 2011
The last time we were given an on-screen Winnie the Pooh adventure was back in 2005 with "Pooh's Heffalump Movie", and that wasn't really the greatest tale from our loveable storybook characters. A good six years later, its about time the gang is back for some good ol' classic fun! Pooh has had a couple of short adventures here and there, but it's a great feeling to see him back up on the big-screen once again, especially for families to go out and see together. Out of all the animations this year, Winnie the Pooh is the best when it comes to being a light-hearted, enjoyable tale that doesn't contain plots that'll be over children's heads (For example: Rango). Then again, Winnie the Pooh doesn't contain much of a plot at all, or a valuable one at least. It's definitely not the best Pooh adventure yet, but it is the cutest, and that's what really makes this one worth while.

Using classic hand-drawn animation is one of the biggest pluses this film has to offer. Can you imagine a computer-animated Pooh movie? Neither could I, and I wouldn't want to either. Seeing Pooh on the big screen brought me back to when I was a kid, and I'd watch the 1990's cartoon series. The animation here is definitely much better than the past few Pooh flicks, "The Tigger Movie", "Piglits Big Movie", and "Pooh's Heffalump Movie", which looked like much more modern animation for its time. The animation here is absolutely beautiful and you can't help but walk out happy. Your not just walking out of something that hasn't been done for animated films in so long, but your walking out of a theater that literally just brought you in a swarm of different memories of you as a child, watching Pooh, the classic Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh just wouldn't be Winnie the Pooh without the great Jim C*mmings. Though Pooh has been around for decades, once Jim C*mmings came into the character he was really brought to life in my opinion. C*mmings brought Pooh and even Tigger to a new level in 1988 with a 4-season running series that broke off into many different shorts, films, and even modernized series over the past twenty-some odd years. Lets just put it this way, Winnie the Pooh has never actually been gone these past six years. This is the movie that'll just help us find the character once again. John Cleese taking a whack at being the Narrator in the film was perfect in my opinion. I loved the Narrator in this film, he was simple, funny, and very helpful in different ways. Going along for the adventure with Pooh and his friends the entire film, without the Narrator a character would be missing. This is technically a storybook, ya know? Ken Sansom doesn't return as Rabbit, but is replaced here by Tom Kerry (voice of Spongebob Squarepants), who does a pretty good job voicing the character. Whether it's a new actor voicing the character, or a returning one, every character sounds as they should.

Everyone from Hundred Acre Wood is back, folks! All of your favorite characters are here to play, and beyond all, entertain. There's Eeyore, Owl, Piglet, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit, and of course, Christopher Robin. Growing up my favorite character was always Tigger. He was fun, energetic, and always putting a huge smile on my face. Seeing Tigger once again was great and I had a huge smile on my face whenever he'd hop on scene. There is a scene he has with Eeyore that I loved in particular, and I think that all audiences will get a kick out of. Seeing all of these characters back together once again was a perfect theater experience. If you're an adult with a younger child, this movie is mostly aimed at you, because now you can bring your kid out and introduce him to a forest full of characters hard not to love. It's always a fun time with Winnie the Pooh and his friends, lets just hope we can visit Hundred Acre Wood much more often now.

Here comes the negativity. While I did have fun throughout the whole sixty-three minute runtime, the movie lacks in a storyline that keeps your interest high. To be completely honest, I'd have to say that The Tigger Movie was a lot better than this because it had an actual storyline that meant something. There are no morals or lessons to be learned when watching Winnie the Pooh, and throughout the entire movie you feel like the storyline is almost as simple as a twenty-minute episode would be from the original series. For an on-screen movie, the story could've been crafted much more perfectly. The trailers make this film look absolutely beautiful and filled with emotion, but the movie doesn't have any of it at all. The closet thing to emotion you'll get out of Pooh is feeling like a kid again, but the inner-story needed a whole lot more than that.

In the end, Winnie the Pooh will make you smile and be a fun time at the movies, especially thanks to the musical numbers filled with catchy lyrics and simple rhythms. The storybook concept was always favored by me, mostly because of how unique the style of film-telling it is, presenting it as a storybook and all. Due yourself a favor and visit your friends at Hundred Acre Wood because you never know when they'll be on the big-screen again. The movie may lack deeply in plot, but thanks to the cute scenes and hilarious interactions between the characters, Winnie the Pooh is a good, fun watch for anyone.
Liam G

July 30, 2011
A nice piece of nostalgia. A good sense of humour, wonderful animation and a winning charm throughout makes this one of the better animated films 2011 has had to offer.
Fernando Rafael Q

May 7, 2011
Winnie the Pooh is overwhelmingly cute, constantly funny and, surprisingly enough for an animated film aimed almost completely at children, inventive. There's clearly a lot of talent going into this terribly short animated flick, particularly in the visual aspects, the music and the nearly celebrity-free voice work, but it's hard to get rid of the feeling that you've seen it all before or could see it any given day on the Disney Channel.
Jennifer X

July 27, 2011
A tiny little speck of a movie, but oh-so-darling. It's surprising how rare you get to see something like this anymore.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

July 27, 2011
Pooh and friends search for Eeyore's missing tail and try to evade the deadly Baksun while the bear desperately searches for a pot of honey. Clever mix of several A.A. Milne stories, with charming animation and certain sequences that are written like Abbot and Costello routines. John Cleese's intrusive narration and even the storybook itself play major roles in the plot. Refreshingly innocent; this feels more like golden age Disney than anything they've done in years.
Kevin C

July 26, 2011
Honestly, this film had me laughing to an obnoxious extent. Every minute, there's either a meta joke or a very clever playing on words. This is genius animated entertainment.
skactopus
skactopus

November 15, 2010
There is nothing like a good helping of 2D animation, and Stephen J. Anderson and Don Hall's Winnie the Pooh is just that.Although drawing from multiple stories from A.A. Milne, the film's plot still seems just a tad light. This probably helps explain a brief run time of just over an hour. Nonetheless, Winnie the Pooh is pure enjoyment from the opening minute, through the closing credits, and then some. Heck, with a film as short as this, it isn't difficult to stick around to the very end.Visually, the picture is soothing and pleasing, which is a nice considering this is a time where many animations look to CG and 3D.The characters bring back pleasant memories. Yes, there are many parts to this production, but these characters, along with their personalities and humor, are what this film is all about. To top everything off, the soundtrack featuring Zooey Deschanel, along with the voice work are of high quality.Winnie the Pooh is charming for both kids and adults. It's as simple as that. "Silly old bear."
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

July 18, 2011
Despite the very weak plot and complete reformat of how the characters acted Winnie the Pooh served as a great family film for the summer with hip songs, a high-level energy and jokes and quips that make this new kind of a Pooh a welcomed one.

In particular, the scene in which the 100 Acre Woods gang get trapped in a ditch, Piglet is being ordered by Rabbit to save help them out. Piglet being very nervous does whatever he can to cooperate where as everything he does isn't very helpful. Pooh is naive as ever and cheers on Piglet through all his shortcomings. This new layer that Rabbit is has is a more annoyed army general type instead of the usual neat-freak he is.

All in all, if you throw out the book of how Disney originally portrayed Pooh and the gang this new, fun, inventive style is charming and exciting to watch.

I disagree that this is just for fans of Winnie the Pooh growing up. It's a different kind of Pooh, and while it manages to keep true to the way these characters have grown on us through their many adventures the personalities of the charcters have been greatly amplified.