18% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Winter Guest Reviews

John B

July 5, 2013
Rickman's directorial debut is technically sound but the plot drags despite the best efforts of Emma Thompson and Phyllida Law.
JennabGreat
June 3, 2011
I really liked the film, I just don't know how to describe how much I liked it. Well, put it this way ... it's Emma Thompson & Phyllida Law in a film directed by Alan Rickman ... I mean, what's not to like? It was a little long for me, & I could really only get interested in the Mother-Daughter and 2 schoolboys stories. The teenagers in love & old ladies who go to funerals .... just felt ... I don't know .. too much? Anyways, the scenery, Thompson, Law & Rickman are brilliant. Watch it.
October 22, 2012
If you are the type of person that is so tired of movies being so FORMULAIC, this will be a good one for you. It is not your usual movie - It is a drama, but has a few funny bits thrown in just at the right time. It takes place during a Winter in Scotland that is so cold... I have no idea how, but the cold feeling was captured in the entire film. Explaining this is far more than difficult, so you will just have to experience it for yourself. As you can see it was written and directed by Alan Rickman. Funny that "Die Hard" was on last night; thinking of his "Hans Gruber" character vs. this film - complete polar opposites. Emma Thompson is perfect in this ... I think her best acting. She was working with her real life Mother (played her Mother) here... As a daughter and a Mother and the whole little girl feeling though now a grown Woman. She mentions want of moving to Australia. The accents in the movie vary from person to person (the characters are from different spots). The teenage boy did a great job w/ the varied bits he was to run in-to. Great to see he had red hair yet he was not cast as the loser, the nerd, the bully, the psycho or the gay. (Not a Hollywood, USA movie).
April 6, 2011
Weird movie, difficult to describe. Very slow and contemplative, this mother / daughter movie is really beautiful, sensible and touchful. I wish I will one day found a french version of this movie to watch it with my mum...
lauramac
March 12, 2006
Mmmkay...I think that about covers all the new movies I've seen since I updated last. I would like to add that [i]American History X[/i] is phenomenal. It pissed me off so badly at the beginning...I seriously wanted to break something. I can't remember ever getting that angry about any form of fiction before. But the resolution tore me apart, of course. Damn...what a movie.

Good Night and Good Luck comes out Tuesday! I'll be renting it very soon.
casts_a_shadow
May 26, 2004
I am a huge fan of the off-the-wall British comedies (perfect example: Monty Python) but on the other side of their coin are the low-key styled movies.
I am not the bigest fan of these for they can be the ultimate in tedium. The mundane and the wacky are two British trademarks and this film is definitaly mundane.

It is not without it's hear though. It has an extremely low pace but being based off a play you can imagine how the dialogue is what to watch this for.
This movie revolves around four groups of Brits from the same neighbourhood in one day of revelations and adventure (non-exciting still of course).
Each story has very depressing points and none are very heartwarming, but the emotions are still fair enough and the acting delivers.

This film plays off the cold white of winter so much that my television began buzzing. Everything in this film is bright white. The people, the houses, the snow, and so on.

This film has minor conflicts and an endiong that really isn't an ending. Nothing is concluded whatsoever. There is no period. This is clearly an artistic move for the audiences imagination and the loose mystique of winter.

So, it's something to watch if you're a fan of monologues and soliloquays but not for intensity of any emotion (even the love scene stops part way...and it didn't even get very far).
prettyh
February 28, 2004
I think it's pretty cool that I can actually separate my regular journal and my incessant babbling about movies. This is very handy, indeed. I will have to begin compiling lists of movies worth reviewing; for the moment, though, I'm simply adding the ones I've seen most recently (within the past couple of months, say). Eventually I'll be motivated enough to do more than that. I hope.

[b][u][color=white]THE WINTER GUEST[/color][/u][/b]

I have to admit, I didn't even get through this one. I am a huge Emma Thompson fan, and to see her acting opposite her real mother was really quite something - plus they were being directed by Alan Rickman! - but... I need to give it another shot. It was dragging in ways I can hardly explain. And Phyllida Law's character was so grating that I couldn't tolerate her for much of a stretch. For now, this only gets a 5. I will give it another chance.

[color=white][b][u]SWIMMING POOL[/u][/b][/color]

I hated this. But I think it's because I must've missed something. It's a tale of a woman who escapes to her editor's summer house in order to overcome her writer's block. Whilst there, she meets up with the editor's daughter and an array of odd people. There's sex and murder. And then it's over. I don't see how this got rave reviews, myself. Charlotte Rampling nearly put me to sleep.

[color=white][b][u]TWISTED[/u][/b][/color]
[b][/b]
Ashley Judd is just going to keep making the same movie over and over again, isn't she? In this one, she's a seriously flawed cop who gets promoted for who-knows-what-reason, and then every guy she's slept with in the past month (and there are loads of them) start turning up dead. Still, they let her stay on the case. It's ridiculous from start to finish, and, as one reviewer said, "The only mystery at any point of this movie is why you spent ten bucks to see it."