With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story Reviews

flixsterman
½ October 5, 2012
Very interesting introspective on one of the icons of the comic book industry.
July 14, 2012
Stan Lee is a legend in every sense of the word. He is the man behind the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and hundreds of other comic book characters. This is a documentary made for the channel Epix, and it is fantastic. Covers his life, his career, his marriage, and you really learn a lot about the man behind the superheroes. It's a great story, and not just a "oh lets kiss Stan Lee's butt" movie, but a real look at the man. There is a scene where his wife reads a card he wrote for her, that is so sweet it make you wanna cry. At 80 minutes long the movie maintains a great pace, and never over stays it's welcome. A must see for all comic book fans, or fans of superheroes. If you have a kid who is a fan of any of the Marvel characters, then you should have them check this out.
April 4, 2013
I'd take Peter Parker over Superman any day! This movie is the genius behind all those comic books that are still loved decades later. The best parts were the tender moments with his wife.
May 9, 2014
While we see him making cameo appearances in shows of his Marvel-ous creations, we now see him in his own movie that circulates on his life and his creative mind behind his creations. "The Stan Lee Story" is full of optimism with a little of awesomeness, including the cast and crews of the Marvel films showing their appreciation of Stan Lee's mind being similar to Walt Disney in comics and on-screen entertainment. Even though it's a documentary, it's one of the best Marvel films of all time at an A-rating. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
½ April 5, 2014
Well done but cursory look at the achievements of a legend.
July 4, 2013
If you are a big Marvel fan like me, you will love this documentary for one of the greatest men who ever lived :)
June 10, 2013
The best documentary about a real life superhero!!!
March 5, 2013
I might be biased but this was amazing, spectacular, and uncanny.
December 14, 2012
It's wonderful to see the life story of one of the greatest creators of all time, but I feel like the film was a tad bit too short, and in all due respect to Mr. Lee, it was FAR too biased, painting Stan Lee in a golden light of perfection.
November 20, 2012
Stan Lee will leave you slightly breathless with admiration, you'll soon recognize that his modesty is as entertaining as his comics...a 'marvel'ous account of a true-life super hero, nuff said.
August 25, 2012
This is a well rounded documentary, detailing both personal and professional details of Marvel mogul Stan Lee's life. It's admirable for covering all bases, eras to some degree, and interesting in it's detail to Marvel's ascent from mediocre TV adaptations into it's current critical and box office pinnacle. A startling array of vintage footage [old 60's/70's TV, college/convention appearances], talking head luminaries, and state of the art motion graphics make both Stan and his creations come to life.
½ August 24, 2012
Stan Lee has such a wonderful personality, and it blends perfectly with this kind of lighthearted documentary.
August 2, 2012
Well made doc about Stan "The Man" Lee. Funny and informative. Wish the would have mentioned Blade, Daredevil, Ghostrider, or Punisher in the documentary.
July 25, 2012
A great documentary about the most famous man in the comic industry, Stan Lee. The documentary shows you his life, such as his childhood, how he got into the comic book industry, and how he became one of the most recognized and respected men in the Entertainment industry. A great movie for comic book fans, and just superhero fans in general alike!
July 14, 2012
May 3, 2012
Saw this at iPic theater in Scottsdale, AZ last night with my family. I was embarrassed for having invited them. The resolution of the film alone was enough to give this movie a poor rating - my PHONE takes better resolution video - but that was, perhaps, the theater's fault.

However, what really clinched the poor rating for me was the film itself was basically just a series of irritatingly HUGE pans across headlines from websites and newspapers with music playing in the background. There were also several zooms on text bubbles (like you'd see in comic books, so that made some sense), but the zoom in was so tight and huge that I couldn't read them before they popped off the screen again. Imagine this sentence appearing in a text bubble that is ten feet high and fifteen feet wide and then imagine trying to swing your head back and forth quickly enough to read all of this in about five seconds.

After that, the "film" is basically a conglomeration of tight, close-up interviews of Mr. Lee, his wife, and a few of his previous coworkers. And, many clips of television interviews and news reports.

Interestingly, the stream of material and even the script appeared to follow almost to the letter the "Stan Lee" entry in Wikipedia. (Or, perhaps, the Wikipedia entry follows the film. Chicken or egg...?) So, having read the Wikipedia entry just hours before seeing the film, I felt like I was watching the result of someone's web search for "Stan Lee"-related stuff. As a matter of fact, because of the ridiculous zoom ins and piss-poor resolution, I kept saying to myself that I could've gotten the same info and had a better time if I'd simply stayed at home and done the web search myself.

If the topic of the film was not "Stan Lee", I would've given this half a star instead of one star.

Totally disappointing. Absolutely NOT worth the $11/ticket I paid.