Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Power of Women in Hollywood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Power of Women in Hollywood Reviews

April 23, 2009
My local library had a DVD of this doc with the 1917 film The Little Princess as a bonus feature. A worthwhile documentary! I don't know much about the earliest days of the movie industry in Hollywood and was not aware of all of the work that Frances Marion accomplished, though as it turns out I have seen some movies she wrote. As the film states, historians are like archaeologists excavating all this forgotten history about women's roles and power in the infant film industry. Thurman narrates, Bates speaks Marion's words from her book and diary, and several women in the film business today share their respect for Marion's work and their observations about working in Hollywood now seventy years later. And of course with TCM involved there are lots of great stills and clips preserving Hollywood in the teens, twenties, and thirties.
May 22, 2013
Without Lying Down is the perfect sort of Hollywood History Lesson: it's succinct, fascinating and obviously crafted with a lot of admiration for the woman at hand.