• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

Without A Paddle Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

June 8, 2011
Jerry Conlaine: I dont have to out-run the bear, I just have to out-run you.

"The Call of the Wild. The Thrill of Adventure. The Mistake of a Lifetime."

I'll always have a sort of soft spot in my heart for Without a Paddle. I've seen it many times and as a young 11 or 12 year old, I cane even admit I liked it. Now, I see it for what it is; just another bad, buddy adventure movie. Still there's a certain amount of enjoyment that I get from the film. Mostly because I love the nostalgia aspect of the movie, and how it orchestrates its plot around Deliverance. Matthew Lilliard, Seth Green, and a really cool soundtrack make the whole thing go down a lot easier as well.

Three lifelong friends who are entering their thirties are called away to a funeral of one of their best friends. While there, they learn that Billy had gone back and completed a trip that the four of them had always wanted to go on. The trip is one that would take them on a treasure hunt through the backwoods of Oregon, looking for a criminal named D.B. Cooper's, loot. When they go on the trip, things quickly turn from fun and nostalgic to dangerous and life threatening. There's always a slapstick and lite feel to the film no matter where the plot developments take the characters.

Overall, this movie takes a lot of shit that I'm just not willing to throw at it. Sure it's a bad movie, and that's worth noting, but it isn't so bad that it needs to be completely crucified. There's elements I like that make up for a lot of the really terrible stuff going on.

It's worth a watch if you have absolutely nothing else going on at the time. Just don't expect anything good. It's a weird movie in that I like it more than I should, while simultaneously still disliking it.
Luke B

July 24, 2012
Comedic version of Deliverance where three childhood friends set out into the woodlands of America to search for a lost briefcase filled with money. The film is actually light on humour and high on sentiment. The themes are hammered into us, and are actually just spoken out loud. "Life, that IS the treasure". Despite this, when it is funny it gets some big laughs. All the scenes are episodic, with the trio meeting a threatening bear, some hillbillies, a mountain man, and some hippies in a tree. The film relies too much on the men being uncomfortable with homosexuality. Burt Reynolds shows up to pay homage to Deliverance, but doesn't completely embarrass himself or shame the film. Perhaps the wig and make-up helped. I'm always going to laugh at stoned animals so it had that going for it. The locations were often stunning, which helped in the long pauses between jokes. Quick and enjoyable, it never really angered me and it kept me interested.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
Avoid this blarney ... unless some alien invasion or nuclear cataclysm leaves you helplessly trapped and stranded in a well stocked coffeeshop in Amsterdam. That's about the only way that it won't feel like a complete waste of time.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 31, 2011
This is one of those comedies that though not perfect, are still very entertaining and fun. Though it isn't a perfect film, Without a Paddle is a fun, comedy that has plenty of things to offer. This is overall a mindless comedy that anyone can enjoy. Not excellent by any means, but really fun, Without a Paddle is one of those films that you can watch with friends for a good, entertaining evening. If you're looking for a mindless amusing film, look no further than Without a Paddle. I find that this film is underrated, and though not perfect; it's a good buddy adventure comedy that does deliver good laughs and a fun viewing experience. Sure the film could have been better, but for the most part, Without a Paddle succeeds at being a decent comedy to watch, and it's not as bad as what you'd expect it would be. I laughed many times while watching this, and the cast are pretty good considering. Seth Green is always fun to watch, and he makes me laugh every time. I wouldn't recommend Without a Paddle to everyone, but those looking for a simple, mindless fun comedy; this is the perfect film to watch. The film is pure fun, and has plenty of gags to enjoy. I very much enjoyed the simplistic story, and the film overall has a good heart, and I think viewers can forgive its imperfections because in the end, Without a Paddle is a harmless whimsical comedy that can make you smile.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 24, 2011
I guess it's The Hangover in a completely different setting. You have Seth Green playing a doctor "the smart guy", a chilled and relaxed, rebellious guy and a not so smart, unusual guy. They are all man child characters in this very uniquely made comedy and I think it had more than enough laughs to keep one entertained. Especially with the very enthusiastic actors, I saw a lot of dedication and passion in their hilarious performances.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
average movie, average humour.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
A watchable comedy, perhaps one that the children will like more than adults, although a little adult humour in it too.

An adventure for three united friends with disastrous consequences.

Watchable if you catch it on tv, but no need to rent or buy.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Loved it! I completely disagree with the critics on this one! I highly recommend it!
TheGame90
TheGame90

March 20, 2008
Go back to scream you fuckhead
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Not as bad as I thought it would be. It?s a cross between the Goonies and Deliverance. It?s alright. A few absolute gems in the script upped my rating for this film though!
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A pretty decent comedy with 3 strong actors in the main parts. Quite funny as 3 city boys look to embark on one of their childhood adventure ideas, setting off on a river trip that goes from bad to worse.
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
Amusing.
Edward B

February 7, 2007
Painfully awful and unfunny.
Lanning :

February 11, 2008
I stumbled across this on cable, and I'm actually glad I did. Never would have gone to see this in a theater, but, despite some lengthy dead spaces, there actually are some very clever lines and intelligent gags. Seth Green has been admirably held back, and this is a wake up call for me as far as Dax Shepard goes. A very smart guy who can deliver lines. I'd be curious if he can do dramatic roles as well. A talented guy. And to give Matthew Lillard his due, which I'm definitely less wont to do than Green, he's pretty good in this movie. This is definitely a find for me and worth a watch.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
Ehh...
Rachel F

May 21, 2007
freakin' hilarious, i loved it
puffchunk
puffchunk

May 6, 2007
Pretty funny. I like how they made fun of Creed.
Megan S

March 1, 2007
This movie is hilarious. I love Matthew Lillard. "Abort the fetal position!"
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
This was a bit freaky but funny!
Michael G

October 6, 2006
Anyone who had anything to do with the making of this movie should be burned alive. Burt Reynolds included.