—— Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

The Wizard Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 5, 2010
It's more than a game... It's the chance of a lifetime.

Saw it again! Great movie from my childhood which I still love and enjoy every single time I see it! Very nice roles by everyone who acted on this one. Super Mario Bros.3 one of the best video games ever created hands down!

Corey and Jimmy Woods are two brothers who are being separated due to their parents divorcing. Jimmy is a mentally unstable kid that has had problems ever since his sister died at a young age. One day, Corey discovers that Jimmy has a natural talent for playing video games. He is one of the best around, and the two journey to the West Coast to compete in a video game championship, but along the way, they must avoid the adults, who are trying to take Jimmy away.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
having grown up on this film i was excited to show it to my kids, and despite being about dated games, they loved it as much as i did. as long as one goes into this for good family fun, it works despite the unbelievable storyline.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A great kids movie, very modern, I mean, a video game competition? That's so rad. They should have some of those today. This movie is really cool, I highly recommend it.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

June 3, 2010
Fred Savage is not a robot, only good thing about this movie is the cheesy Super Mario Brothers 3 showdown and the Double Dragon face-off. Fred Savage was a strapping young lad, wise beyond his years.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 25, 2007
80's classic.
puffchunk
puffchunk

December 2, 2007
Any movie made by Nintendo simply to sell a new video game gets an OK in my book!
skactopus
skactopus

January 17, 2009
The Wizard is, quite frankly, one of the best films from the 80s. We are talking about a movie that revolves around the original Nintendo system. Wonderful memories.When viewing the first 10 minutes or so, this film doesn't seem like it will be about video games, but once "The Wizard" takes a stab at Double Dragon all bets are off and the quarters become important. David Chisholm is able to come up with a nicely written story and some pretty memorable dialogue. "California."While most of the film revolves around 3 kids making their way to California for a video game tournament, the 100 minute story still finds the time for laughs by using the antics of Will Seltzer and Beau Bridges in between the kids' scenes.The video games shown in here are classic. Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, and Super Mario Bros. 2 are just a few. There is also the introduction of Super Mario Bros. 3. Ingenious on Nintendo's part. I can't forget to mention some airtime of the power glove. My only huge complaint is how "The Wizard" knows the shortcut in Super Mario Bros. 3 when it is the first appearance of the game.The rating for this picture is PG, but that is being generous, considering that the "B" and "S" words appear in here. Multiple times, by the way. Maybe PG-13 is a better rating for this.Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, and Luke Edwards are able to carry this movie to it's end. Beau Bridges and Will Seltzer provide the laughs, while Christian Slater is Christian Slater.The Wizard is a great family film and is a must see for classic Nintendo fans.
Jon L

January 26, 2008
The longest video game advertisement in the world. I still enjoyed it though.
Jason S

November 2, 2007
This was a classic when I was a kid. All the Nintendo stuff had us all hooked. It was basically a big commercial for nintendo, but I didn't care. The story was simple and everyone I knew wanted to compete in the big tournament at the end.
A B

October 23, 2007
Nice under-rated family movie.
Jason Vargo
Jason Vargo

January 19, 2012
Silly, stupid and morally unsound, The Wizard is a commercial for Nintendo. And Universal Studios. And 7-11. And Pepsi. I'm sure I'm missing at least one piece of product placement there, but so be it. Even for the gamers in the audience back in 1989-when the hook of seeing the new Super Mario Brothers 3 game would lure in the box office money-this film can't be anything more than a let down. The story is paper thin, the characters (especially the adults) don't do anything that requires them to be smart and none of the stories are wrapped up in any satisfying way. But who cares. The Wizard is in the same category as the live action Mario Brothers and Street Fighter flicks: terrible filmmaking and uninvolving. The latter may be the worst thing you can say about a movie.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 7, 2007
It's basically Rain Man with kids and Nintendo. It's harmless though and not as bad as critics made it sound.
iLeo
iLeo

December 8, 2007
I've seen this again, not too long ago. Still interesting. Hehhehe
November 30, 2013
This one will be a short review noting it's been a while since seeing this movie. Amateur film about 3 kids who take part in a NES championship is what I recall happening. The movie itself isn't very funny or adventurous, just dumb and one of the most 80s-esque movies to date. As much as I love video games myself, the Wizard was a bore-fest and not entertaining to the least.
rodjeckrich
January 16, 2013
Had I never viewed this again in my mid-20's, I would probably think of this as still cool. It sucks balls. At least you could go play old Nintendo and have fun today. From a stupid premise in trying to get to"California" and play in a Nintendo competition to the "keep your power glove off my girl", this is rough. Fred Savage was such a good kid on the Wonder Years and here with Christian Slater and Beau Bridges as his family, you wouldn't think this is as piss poor as it is. I can't take Jenny Lewis or her bands seriously based on her bad acting career. The little autistic kid is annoying. Yeah there was some arcade hustling going on. Does this kid think he's Billy Mitchell? And lets not forget a mega cheese traveling montage set to one of the lamest songs of all time, "Send me and Angel". I'd rather play Tetris.
kenscheck
December 27, 2011
Two brothers and a young girl travel across the country to get to a video game championship at Universal Studios Hollywood. The movie is a pretty solid family film, notable for its debut of Super Mario Bros. 3. The movie is really good for people of the video game generation, and it is about my favorite era of videos games as well. Watch more the nostalgia of it all.
allefra25
September 20, 2009
Yeah, it's totally implausible and it's basically just a commercial for the NES and Super Mario Bros. 3, but, well, I happen to like both of those things. And Fred Savage! I think if I had seen it when I was younger, I would've liked it a lot, so it's probably the nostalgia for my childhood that makes me give it a ...2...
September 5, 2009
A retard is good video games so his brother takes him half-way across the country to play in a tournament. In pursuit are a bounty hunter and family members. They run into trouble by getting robbed a couple times and nearly beaten. For those of us who grew up playing NES during this time, it is a great look back at all the games.
December 31, 2006
Didn't remember much from childhood. Slater is a champ as always. Savage kinda annoying. "I love the Power Glove. It's so bad." Haley was a fox.
Bancho
April 14, 2009
THREE THINGS I LEARNED BY RE-WATCHING THE WIZARD:

1. Movie product placement (Tom Petty, various Nintendo games, etc.) ran rampant even in the 80's. The whole thing kinda turns into a Super Mario Bros. 3 ad at the end, which was admittedly the point. When the filmmakers have the characters yell Super Mario Bros. 3 tips to Jimmy, even though it was supposedly the first time they'd ever seen the game, just so kids watching the movie could get an advantage when their parents were forced to buy the game... that is just too blatant. Like, Michael Bay blatant.

2. The Close Encounters of the Third Kind tones play when Lucas puts the Power Glove on. Hey, I was a kid when I first saw this-- no way would I have caught on to that, or the fact that...

3. Jenny Lewis was kind of a little slut in this. How does she know so many adults, so many adult mannerisms ("He touched my breast!", "She was a showgirl. Great legs. I got her legs. Whaddya think?")? "I'll never kiss a boy"? Give me a break. That 8-year-old has been around the block a few times, if you know what I mean. (she's sexually active)

Though The Wizard was rated PG, the film is definitely edgier than today's PG flicks; thus, making it more enjoyable! Also, the overwhelming nostalgia factor can let all the inconsistency errors be overlooked. (What do you mean, he hasn't taken a hit yet? I see his depleted power bar right there!)

I have a feeling that if I were an adult at the time this was released, The Wizard would be shit to me. But I wasn't. So it's not.