The Wizard Reviews

July 2, 2015
It's a runaway's paradise film starring none other than Fred Savage ( The Wonder Years ) in a film dedicated to the Nintendo Entertainment System, mostly known as the NES. His brother Jimmy has the gift of getting high scores in video games, so during a " breakout " they go on a trek to California to enter themselves in the Video Armageddon. Their journey includes meeting people and getting away from people, they're on a mission folks. This was actually Nintendo revealing their newest game Super Mario 3 at the time this movie was in theaters. It's a real good family movie that has good heart in it as well, not just total gamers on cloud nine. It has a great cast like Beau Bridges, Christian Slater, Luke Edwards and Jenny Lewis. Come on folks it's a Nintendo game, no doubt thee first Nintendo movie. It will keep you entertained and a blast from the past..
June 1, 2015
It's a 90's gaming movie that is basically just a promotion for the NES and Nintendo wrapped around a terrible story and really bad acting. But all of this still makes you enjoy it.
May 25, 2015
Best Nintendo propaganda film EVER!!
½ August 21, 2014
In the 1980s, video games were at the height of their popularity, especially in the arcades. This is mainly in part because of Nintendo, and its contribution to the home console market, at the time. Bottom line is: video games were everywhere. So, seeing the opportunity, some executives at Universal Studios to combine video games and movies into one concept. Sure, Disney had done it in 1982 with "Tron", but this idea was going to be a road trip movie about learning all the aspects of video games. The movie was called "The Wizard". And it sucks. Yet, in more recent years, the film has become somewhat of a cult classic. "The Wizard" is a bad movie, but it is something that needs to be seen to be believed, on a subject matter that the film rarely focuses on.

The story involves a little kid named Jimmy, who is determined to go to California, for some odd reason. His brother Corey breaks him out of an institution and the two go on a road trip heading west. They meet a girl named Haley, who also is traveling out west, and she joins them on their journey. Corey and Haley find out that Jimmy is a master at video games (despite him not ever playing some before), and together, the trio make their way to Los Angeles to compete in a video game tournament to win a grand prize. Meanwhile, Corey and Jimmy's father and older brother are out trying to find them, as well as a private eye who finds kids for a living are on their way of trying to rescue the boys. All of this so Jimmy could leave photographs of his dead sister inside one of the dinosaurs at Cabazon. Oh, and there's video games somewhere along the line too.

"The Wizard" is most notably a bad film. The writing and dialogue combined are very poor, that one wonders how this movie was written. It's so predictable; even first time viewers know what's going to happen. The acting and direction noticeably bad, as everyone is either a cliché, or just doesn't have a motivation for their character. Even Jimmy is wasted as he only has a few lines of dialogue , and even then, this character is uninteresting. Nothing in the movie moves at a simple pace, as the editing makes the movie drag its run time out. As for the main production, it's a basic road trip movie that really shows less of the video game aspect, and more on the boring characters. Speaking of which, the whole thing is basically one long commercial for the game Super Mario Bros. 3, which is the only interesting part of the film. It's a bad movie from start to finish.

Yet, despite the bad nature of the film, it's entertaining as hell. This is because the movie is so bad, it's good, mainly in part that it's so laughable, one cannot help but enjoy the corniness of it all. As stated before, the whole production is poorly executed, but watching it brings a smile to the viewer's face. Even promising giving the viewer a look at video games, "The Wizard" is corny from beginning to end. It's one of those rare treats that one needs to watch.

So, in conclusion, "The Wizard" may be bad in terms of its subject matter, but it's enjoyably fun to watch and behold of a different time when video games ruled the world.
February 25, 2010
(First and only viewing - January 2010)
½ August 3, 2014
This was just an advertisement for the power glove.
½ July 12, 2014
Super cute / fun old commercial / film for Nintendo! Jenny Lewis grew up to be an incredible indie music icon so it's a trip to see her as an adorable young actress! Good fun with a few cuss words thrown in for good measure.
June 16, 2014
the only thing is good about it...the friggin' games!
June 15, 2014
A cleverly disguised Nintendo commercial.
June 4, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
April 6, 2014
This is just a commercial movie!
June 1, 2008
FRED SAVAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"i love the power glove, it's so...bad"
½ August 12, 2012
I like this movie despite alot of errors.
February 16, 2014
This movie never fails to make me smile. It's an homage to the 80s in all ways possible. Some of the parts are cheesy and over-acted, but that's okay. I still love watching it for the adventure factor and the adrenaline rush. :)
February 15, 2014
When I first saw this movie, I was unaware that Luke Edwards' character was autistic. I know that he loves video games, but I had no idea he had this condition. Now, I'm thinking about getting my own copy for myself to keep. This was back during the Nintendo craze back in the day. Now that I think about it, it IS almost like a Rain Man for gamers and kids alike.
February 15, 2014
January 14, 2014
1987 : Good year for film, The Wizard is a prime example.
Roger Ebert, you're a knucklehead. No one would expect
you to like it.
½ November 30, 2013
This one will be a short review noting it's been a while since seeing this movie. Amateur film about 3 kids who take part in a NES championship is what I recall happening. The movie itself isn't very funny or adventurous, just dumb and one of the most 80s-esque movies to date. As much as I love video games myself, the Wizard was a bore-fest and not entertaining to the least.
April 2, 2011
Heart warming video game fun.