Wolf Creek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wolf Creek Reviews

½ July 22, 2012
With a promising start which builds up slowly 'Wolf Creek' had some potential, unfortunately it completely wimps out.

Three friends go on vacation and shortly run into trouble while in the Australian outback when their car randomly breaks down along with their watches, with nothing to do but wait the team eventually stumbles upon a stranger in the desert and turn to him for help fixing their car. What they don't know is that said stranger isn't as nice as he first comes across.

The best part of 'Wolf Creek' is undoubtedly the development, it sets up characters nicely and even introduces a romantic sub-plot. Sadly, however, all the hard work put into the first half amounts to nothing, as the film quickly desends into an average slasher movie and the first half is completely forgotten. The characters become just a tool for the violence and the romanticism is never mentioned again.

If you enjoy playing 'Where's Wally' with film cliches check this out, it has every one in the slasher book, such a shame after the beginining. The soundtrack was alright though.
½ May 16, 2012
This movie was so incredibly slow. It's not even like they were developing the characters more in the first hour they were just camping and talking and chilling and walking around. I literally fell asleep. I woke up and it was the next day. I had to go back and finish it.

It was really slow and pointless the first hour. Yeah it was 1 motherfucking hour of bullshit where nothing interesting happened at all. Then when things started getting interesting, it was just cliche after cliche of predictable bullshit. So yeah the bullshit continued well past the first hour. The characters running around screaming getting tortured. Then the girl doesn't double tap the mad man she just shot, she just runs away and leaves a weapon right beside him. Smart move, very smart move. Then stealing his truck and crashing into the building, nice job, nice job. Then taking one of her friends and leaving the other one behind nailed to a post, that was very sweet of her. It's a seen it before movie. Even if it was loosely based off of a true story, the movie is not believable in the slightest.

I thought this movie was going to be good when I saw it, but OMG it was pretty bad. The acting wasn't too bad, it's just the illogical impulsive decisions made by the characters and the outrageous action of the film that made it suck. The ending didn't make any sense also. Why was Ben even in the mine? Why wasn't he with the girls? What the fuck was that rottweiler doing there? Where did it even come from? It was so weird.
½ March 10, 2012
A vacation to the beautiful Australian outback goes terribly wrong once it is visited by horror's smiling answer to Crocodile Dundee. What possibly could go wrong out in the desolate wastes, miles from nowhere? Well ... people disappear.
Directors Cat
½ January 1, 2012
The plot is absolutely asinine and totally ridiculous but this typical grindhouse movie was quite a thrill ride and unlike most modern horror movies didn't make me laugh. This independently made kidnap horror flick "based" on a true story is an exceptional debut feature for McLean and a very unpredictable one.
½ April 28, 2007
Three young tourists travelling in the vast expanses of the outback accept a lift from a seemingly friendly frontiersman but he soon reveals himself to be a sadistic predator. Horror films for the most part are like theme park rides; they provide a few cheap thrills and shocks, and when they are over, it's back to normality. There are no monsters, zombies or vampires in real life. The most disturbing thing about Wolf Creek is that there ARE people like Mick Taylor in the world; men who see other human beings as animals to be preyed upon and who can cheerfully torture and kill them without conscience. I was gripped by this film as soon as he appeared on the screen, the biggest kick in the gut is the sheer believability of it all; the victims seem like genuine people rather than the usual Hollywood rent-a-bimbos and the violence is all the more gruesome because it is NOT presented in a sensationalist or exploitative way. In fact, Quentin Tarantino himself described it as "the scariest film I've ever seen". The Hitcher for grown ups.
½ March 21, 2009
Crikey, i got a knife through my spinal cord! ugh, Blimee, i got me fingas cut off by your big sharp-like knife! oh, bloody hell, fuck me rusty, mate. i gots me head on a stick.... crikey.
½ March 7, 2011
Does anyone camp out or really travel in Australia anymore, after watching a number of movies from Australia I think my chances of survival are greater in Newark, NJ and this film is no exception to that. A trio of friends are exploring the outback and visiting a crater left by a meteor, during the visit they notice that there watches have all stopped at the same time and also there car will not start. After sitting in the dark for hours help arrives at least they think help has arrive, but what starts is some of the best gore scenes I've seen in a long while, had to take a breath and turn my head more then once. Plenty of on the edge scenes, bloody and breathtaking. 3 1/2 stars
½ June 8, 2010
Wolf Creek is a solid film that truly delivers on the horror. John Jarratt is a terrific villain in this film as he plays the deranged murderer who captures the backpackers. Simply just insane. Wolf Creek is original, and truly terrifying, it's almost like The Blair Witch Project, because it looks almost like a documentary style film. But it's all real. And what makes this film scarier is the fact that it's based on factual events. Australia has turned out a lot of terrific horror films, and Wolf Creek is a prime example of one of them. Greg Mclean is a terrific horror director and he knows how to pace the film with the right amount of tension to build up the terrifying end. A work of raw, unrelenting power, Wolf Creek is an uncompromising film that truly delivers effective scares.
½ May 16, 2010
This wasn't scary. But it's a good movie to watch. I wasn't bored.
½ September 8, 2009
Wolf Creek has a completely standard basic story for this kind of genre movie - travelers in isolated location encounter sadistic nut. Despite this, it's what writer/director Greg McLean does with the details which makes a difference.

The outback locations are rendered with a nice eye and evoke a sense of spooky isolation - anything could happen to you out here and no-one would know, much less be able to help. There is also the much discussed 'dark side of Crocodile Dundee' element - frankly, I can't believe it's taken so long for someone to conjure this one up, and McLean clearly delights in stabbing a knife through the heart of the mythical Aussie archetype. I think he's actually gotten to an uncomfortable, close-to-the-bone truth about the psyche of certain Aussie males, and John Jarret is eerily similar to the kind of individual one would encounter in many a country pub down under.

The fact that this is an Australian film also makes it a rare bird indeed. For some unfathomable reason, the Oz industry rarely does genre, and when it does, usually doesn't do it well. With this in mind, Wolf Creek is something of a breath of fresh air. Yes, it hews pretty closely to the codes and rules of its genre, but for the most part it does it well, and for my money, what works about the film is strong enough to make some of the weaker plot moments forgivable.

Will Gibson's HD camera-work is impressive, maintaining a consistent style from start to finish, aided by solid editing, score and sound design. Now maybe people will stop whining about how 'we can't make genre films here' and we might see some imagination and variety creep into Australian cinema.
August 22, 2006
Grim, nasty and mostly unpleasant. It does some nice things with a tired formula, though it has become apparent that now ALL slasher films must revolve around backpackers. Sure the unfamiliar territory becomes a character in itself which adds to the tension but it also means we get a bunch of hard rinking stoners who are hard to care for. Wolf Creek does a good job with some nice acting. The kiss scene is awkward sweet and very unlike an oversexed teen slasher. Dialogue is real and those uncomfortable moments are almost unbearable. The violence is almost unbearable in a finger nails down blackboard kind of way. Makes you grit your teeth without looking away. The killer is well acted, being a creepy nice guy who has obviously seen enough horror films to avoid the usual traps. The victims however have not, making the same stupid mistakes we've seen again and again. It's an uneasy flick as opposed to a horror as it is never frightening. The downbeat realistic ending is also a high low point.
August 21, 2008
Just when you thought it was safe to go hiking in the bushes again...along comes Mick Taylor. Kristy, Ben and Liz are three pals in their twenties who set out to hike through the scenic Wolf Creek National Park in the Australian Outback. The trouble begins when they get back only to find that their car won't start. The trio think they have a way out when they run into a local bushman named Mick Taylor. Wait until you get a load of what Mick has in store for them. Their troubles have just begun.

This is a stunning piece of film that had me rooted to the seat in disbelief. The film starts of in a cool and fun way, however you just know things are going to go tits-up. I sat not wanting to care for the 3 characters as I thought a gore-fest was just waiting for them, however the depth and friendship that is so well acted, suckers you right into the group's tragedy.

This is a film that left me feeling numb at the end rather than terrified. That night after watching it, the horror crept into my mind and I found the film an utterly compelling one to watch again.

½ June 13, 2006
The Australian contribution to the new wave of slasher horror movies is actually one of the better examples of the genre. The movie takes its time introducing characters that are not cardboard stereotypes ready to be killed off one after the other for once and that are actually pretty believable, which makes the whole feeling of the movie a lot more realistic. The atmosphere of the outback and the isolation there is shown perfectly by the great cinematography. While the villain character does not feel entirely as real as the three well acted protagonists the second half of the movie is still pretty exciting and nerve wracking. The fact that all this is based on real events doesn't make the overall feeling any happier. Fans of the genre should be pleased, unless they prefer blond Hollywood bimbos saving the day with a witty one liner.
September 22, 2007
As stark, realisitc and tragic as it gets, this story about 3 youths getting lost in the outback is a powerful and frightening experience.
½ August 3, 2006
Probably the most tense film I've ever watched. The acting was so believable which made the situation frightening enough, but then wehn you take into account that it is based on true events, you realise what an amazing story it is.

John Jarret plays one of most frightening madman I've seen on screen.

Texas Chainsaw v's A Paradise Lost (Turistos)

VERDICT: An absolute must see
½ June 1, 2007
Ish, I really wanted to enjoy this. The gore was great, and the premise was an ace idea, but I just couldn't get into the film. But then, as I never have or never will backpack through Australia, maybe the main punch of the film passed me by.
½ March 30, 2007
A tough, gritty horror similar to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
½ March 4, 2007
Another case of a filmmaker thinking gore is scary- guess what it isn't.
½ December 24, 2006
Remember what I said about Australians not know what they're doing when it comes to horror movies? This is the exception that proves the rule.
½ June 30, 2006
10 out of 10 for gore and villain appeal, but this movie is still not very good. It's hard to tell what I didn't like about it, but it robably has something to do with the fact that the killer seems to have no motivation. I hate that.