Meet the Characters of X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Learn all you need to know about Marvel mutants

X-Men Origins: Wolverine marks the fourth film appearance for Marvel's most popular mutant. By now, you should be pretty familiar with Wolverine and his super-powered teammates from the previous X-Men movies, but unless you're a comics aficionado, you might not recognize some of Logan's other compatriots, such as Wade Wilson, John Wraith, and Agent Zero. And although Sabertooth, Stryker, and Cyclops have been seen on the big screen already, there are new actors playing those roles this time around. That's why we've put together this rundown of the major players you're going to see in the upcoming installment of the X-Men saga.

WOLVERINE

Real Name: Logan/James Howlett

Played By: Hugh Jackman, the Australian actor/dancer/singer who rose to fame when he was cast as a then-unknown in 2000's first X-Men film. Noting that Wolverine's personality had mellowed in X-Men: The Last Stand, Jackman has been quoted as being excited about playing Wolverine during his most feral days, comparing the performance to that of Robert De Niro's in the Cape Fear remake.

Powers: Super healing, regeneration, super senses, adamantium-infused skeleton, adamantium-infused claws and a berserker battle fury.

In the Comics: For the first 25 years of Wolverine's publication in Marvel Comics (first introduced in The Incredible Hulk #181, November 1974), Wolverine's true origin story was one of comics' greatest mysteries. As in the first three X-Men movies, readers were given bits of the puzzle over the years, but Wolverine's true roots weren't revealed until the 2001-2002 mini-series Origin, which detailed the events of Wolverine's youth and young adulthood. The comics have also now depicted in many different ways Wolverine's time as part of the Weapon X program, in which both he and Sabretooth were used as part of a military program to use mutants as super soldiers.

In the Movie: X-Men Origins: Wolverine borrows heavily from several of the comics that have dealt directly with Wolverine's origin story, but reportedly also has some new or different elements, especially in the Weapon X era. This is, of course, to be expected, since the first three movies very much departed from the comics, de-aging characters like Angel and Iceman, and having Wolverine join the X-Men by himself, rather as a member of a completely new team (with Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc).

SABRETOOTH

Real Name: Victor Creed

Played By: Liev Schreiber, an American stage and screen actor who is not previously known for starring in action movies, preferring instead to focus on characters better known for being cerebral than brawny. Schreiber, however, threw himself into preparing to play Sabretooth, bulking up with an extra 40 pounds of muscle through an intensive diet and exercise regimen. Liev Schreiber has been for a few years now dating British-Australian actress Naomi Watts, with whom he has had two sons, Sasha and Samuel.

Powers: Sabretooth's powers (healing, regeneration, super senses) are nearly identical to those of Wolverine's, except that he lacks Wolverine's adamantium skeleton, and his claws are actually just longer fingernails, rather than claws that pop out of his arms like Wolverine's. Sabretooth is also physically larger and inherently stronger than Wolverine.

In the Comics: Like Wolverine, Sabretooth is a Marvel Comics character known to be much older than he appears, and his encounters with Wolverine go back as far as 1910. As in the movie, Sabretooth served with Wolverine in the Weapon X program, although he did not undergo the same extensive experimentation as Wolverine. After parting ways with Weapon X, Sabretooth spent the next decades working as an assassin, coming into conflict with Wolverine many times, until eventually (and controversially) becoming an X-Man himself.

In the Movie: The most obvious departure for Sabretooth from the comics is the rumor that in the movie he is actually depicted as being Wolverine's half-brother. In the comics, Sabretooth is usually depicted as having blonde hair (as also depicted in the first X-Men movie), whereas Liev Schreiber has dark brown hair.

STRYKER

Real Name: Major William Stryker

Played By: Danny Huston, the son of acclaimed director John Huston (The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen), and the half-brother of Anjelica Huston. Although Danny Huston probably could have parlayed his famous last name into movie star status, he has instead focused on a career as a character actor in mostly supporting roles in movies like The Aviator, 21 Grams and Children of Men.

Powers: None

In the Comics: Before the release of X2: X-Men United, William Stryker was a relatively obscure character who had only appeared in the 1982 graphic novel X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills, as a Christian televangelist who has launched a campaign to destroy all mutants, who he sees as an abomination in the eyes of God.

In the Movie: Few X-Men characters were as changed from their comic book roots as William Stryker, who was used as the leader of Weapon X, the program responsible for giving Wolverine his adamantium skeleton, and the team that is central to much of the story of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Comments

Mister_Prophet

Will Massaro

Just don't screw up Deadpool and Gambit. That's all I'm asking.

Apr 22 - 06:10 PM

Nick P.

Nick Perez

im not going to ruin anything for you but they don't give justice to deadpool (even though i think Ryan Reynolds did a fine job) and for gambit he is really not if the movie a lot so its hard to say they screwed it up but the parts he was in i enjoyed.

Apr 22 - 06:47 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Same here.

Apr 22 - 08:49 PM

Sexy B.

Sexy Biatch

I hear this is going to be amazing, but while you mention things getting screwed, check out the movies at myMILFspace.com , they won't dissapoint, I promise!

Apr 26 - 05:52 AM

Jack le Critic

Jack Blanc

They did

Apr 29 - 01:20 AM

Odd Persona

Odd Persona

Word on the street is that this movie isn't so great, and by street I mean from a couple of my friends who've seen the leaked version of this film.

Not that it comes as any kind of surprise since all the X-Men films have been tedious bores in my opinion.

Apr 22 - 06:14 PM

John H.

John Howard

What your friends saw is that same work print that everyone has been downloading. A work print is a film in it's worse state, it's the meat and bones of a movie, you get down the key shots to see how you may want to change them. After that you go back and you add in effects and do reshots. I work here at fox studios Australia and we had many shots done here in the early stages. I saw the work print because it goes to all workers who have any production backgrounds and we send back what we feel should be fixed or punched up. Trust me, go see it on the big screen, I am not just saying that because my company gets the money. I saw the finished project a few days ago because we were all invited with press and I loved it.

Apr 24 - 02:32 PM

tyler g.

tyler gunderson

John H. I definitely agree about the work print and the movie is farrrr farrrr from done on the leak. I have much bigger issues with changing certain elements in the movie that just SHOULD NOT be changed, and certainly not changed in such a stupid manner. God I wanna spoil how Wolverine loses his memory because its SO GODDAMN STUPID. I mean laughably bad plot point.

I will say that some of the action sequences will be pretty sweet and the way it starts out is awesome. But honestly I can take the work print into account. And they just completely ****ed up the history of Weapon X and the climax of the movie. I hope I end up being wrong and they re-shot some scenes or maybe that those weren't even the real plot points that got released and that the additional 10 minutes adds alot. I really do, because i'm gonna see it again just so I'm not a thief and I'd much rather enjoy it than not. But I seriously doubt it.

I had super high hopes for this film and felt so immensely let down by the plot when I saw the leak. The retconning of Wolverine's memory loss is as drastic as if they were to take Origins: Magneto and in it make Magnus a Nazi instead of a Jew.

Apr 25 - 01:05 AM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

Cyclops.... hmmm. Scared.

Apr 22 - 06:20 PM

Gotham-iz-Ashez

Kevin Styp

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for this movie...I couldn't think of anyone better than Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool's part.

Apr 22 - 06:25 PM

Hank T.

Deadpool 0418

yeah i know, if they had anyone else it would screw up.

Apr 23 - 09:14 PM

Nick P.

Nick Perez

Apr 22 - 06:47 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Gambit is gonna be awesome, i know it.

Apr 22 - 07:03 PM

toats m.

toats ma goats

i swear deadpool can teleport because in ultimate alliance he teleports and has a number of teleporting combos i dont no why

Apr 22 - 07:07 PM

Mark S.

Mark Seeley

toats m,

Deadpool's apparent ability to teleport is a side-effect of being linked to Cable. It's actually called a "Body Slide" but that's just teleporting, really. Anyway, Deadpool only gets the power after getting mixed up with Cable.

Apr 24 - 08:55 AM

toats m.

toats ma goats

odd persona do realize that the leaked version is an unfinished version of the film, meaning visual and special effects arent fully done and you can see the wires in the seens that there used in. and your friends are prolly idiots and worship tdk like every other comic newb. dont get me wrong tdk is a great movie but so so overrated,besides joker obviously

Apr 22 - 07:14 PM

Odd Persona

Odd Persona

Yes indeed, my friends are 'prolly idiots' and every night they slather themselves in paste and role around in Batman comics incanting the Jokers lines from The Dark Knight.

Christ, you don't think I realize the "special effects" aren't finished? Effects don't make a compelling narrative or memorable characters. All the computer generated effects in the world amount to nothing if the script is a dud.

In any event I won%u2019t personally pass judgment on the film until I see it in theaters. (If I even do.)

Apr 22 - 08:59 PM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

Agreed, and that pretty much sums up the problems with this film. Special effects or no this film is a disaster. The monkeys at the typewriters failed big time.

Apr 23 - 03:13 AM

admitted n.

admitted newb

nicely put. I know I am new to the comic book world (and no, i didn't decide to get into them because of tdk) but if people are going to make some pretty bigoted comments about someone they don't know online, they should at least do it with real words so we can actually take them seriously.

Jun 7 - 04:26 PM

Derek P.

Derek Pitts

sorry to burst all your hopeful bubbles... but this movie is no better than any of the other 3 disasters. as i once heard somewhere, "do it right, or dont do it at all"... i wished and hoped and PRAAAAAYED that they would do gambit and deadpool justice. unfortunately, they are actors thrown into a few random scenes, the only thing in common between these actors and their portrayed characters are the names given. calling some actor "gambit" does NOT make him gambit. if you liked any of the other x-men movies, you'll love this random cash grab....otherwise, prepare to be truly disapointed, TRUE X-MEN fans.

Apr 22 - 07:26 PM

WallEField

Matt Welch

Screw Deadpool, would've rather not seen him in the movie at all. Just don't screw up Gambit, that's all that matters to me. *chucks Deadpool in the overrated comic book character along with Batman*

Apr 22 - 07:29 PM

Astacius

Troy Shannon

***** Gambit and Deadpool...neither they are the other muties [minus Sabertooth of course] needed to be added to this film and from what I'm hearing, I'm pleased they get little screen time. Makes my day.

Apr 22 - 08:17 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

omg!

Apr 22 - 08:36 PM

rorylikesgoodmovies

Rory Steen

word on the street, this movie is the best of all the x-men movies, aparently it was leaked and some people talked about it online aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, yeah so deadpool has about 10 minutes of screen play between being wade and deadpool, two seperate entities.... anyway don't wanna spoil it but gambit was pretty bad ***, would have liked to see more from him but over all really good movie.

Apr 22 - 08:37 PM

Apr 23 - 03:13 AM

admitted n.

admitted newb

Jun 7 - 04:26 PM

woundedmakers

Steven Bada

Sorry guys but Deadpool isn't in this movie. There is a b@st@rdized Mortal Kombatish-looking superhuman boss guy that is called Deadpool, though.

Apr 22 - 09:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Oh God...

Apr 22 - 09:50 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL Ryan Reynolds has even said he's not playing Deadpool but Wade Wilson, so yeah, don't get any of your hopes up for Deadpool.

Apr 22 - 09:24 PM

crackr

Bob Waters

yeah it was weird and they phuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked up Gambit

Apr 23 - 03:02 AM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

Yea, and they pretty much fuuuuuuucked up the entire movie. Not really sure how that happened. Brett Ratner was not involved, though after seeing some of this you would think he was the real, uncredited director.

Apr 23 - 03:11 AM

Kevlegs

kevin Carter

Agreed. Was it worth Gambit being in the movie? Not the best of the movies

Apr 23 - 03:30 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Oh God...

Apr 22 - 09:50 PM

Solonik -.

Solonik -

This is...not a good movie.

Apr 22 - 11:23 PM

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>