RT on DVD: Wolverine, Next Day Air, And Lots Of Horror

Check out what's dropping this week and beef up your collection.

The new releases in home video this week are definitely a sign that we're approaching the Fall season rather quickly. Most of the notable selections sit squarely within the horror or thriller genre, and the picks we highlight this week reflect that. Aside from the two brand new DVDs dropping this week (X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Next Day Air), we've also got a couple of compilations featuring selections from two horror masters (John Carpenter: Master of Fear Collection and a Wes Craven Collection), a couple of quirky genre-benders (Army of Darkness: Screwhead Edition and King Kong vs. Godzilla), and an anthology dedicated to one legendary movie villain (The Hannibal Lecter Collection). It's apparent everyone is already in preparation mode for Halloween, but we've also thrown in a couple of alternate choices for everyone else, so have a look!

38%
Template Image
Rotten

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Some of you may already "own" the pre-special effects version of Wolverine that made the rounds shortly before the movie opened earlier this year, and based on the film's reception, some of you may have already deleted it from your hard drives. Though this companion piece to the highly successful X-Men franchise was greatly anticipated, expectations dropped when an unfinished version of the film was leaked onto the internet. Unfortunately, the finished product didn't do much to remove any doubts fans may have had, earning a mere 36% on the Tomatometer. Nevertheless, die hard fans and the curious ones who missed it the first time around will want to check it out on DVD and Blu-Ray when it drops this week.

21%
Template Image
Rotten

Next Day Air

A tale of bumbling criminals whose scheming goes very wrong, Next Day Air was hardly deemed a special delivery by critics, who said it was an uneven blend of action and stoner movie tropes. Still, some praised its talented cast (which includes Donald Faison, Mos Def, and Mike Epps) and moments of panache. The DVD features outtakes and audio commentary.

94%
Template Image
Fresh

The Hannibal Lecter Collection - Blu-Ray

Though most moviegoers remember the menacing slurp of Anthony Hopkins' tongue as he reminisced about devouring a victim with "some fava beans and a nice chianti," it was Brian Cox who originated the role of Hannibal Lecter in 1986's Manhunter. This week, the first three installments of the popular thriller franchise become available together in Blu-Ray as the Hannibal Lecter Collection. You'll find 1986's Manhunter, 1991's multiple Academy Award-winning Silence of the Lambs, and 2001's Hannibal in one convenient package; unfortunately, if you're more of a fan of the later installments, Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising, you'll have to wait a bit longer.

70%
Template Image
Fresh

Army of Darkness - Screwhead Edition

Sam Raimi's beloved third installment of the Evil Dead series, wherein Bruce Campbell's Ash is transported back in time to do battle with medieval zombies, releases a brand new DVD this week. The Screwhead Edition features a digitally remastered print of the film, a previously released alternate ending, and a new featurette dedicated to the creation of the special effects used in the movie. This is a great opportunity for fans of the cult classic who missed out on previous special releases, and it's available both on DVD and Blu-Ray.

83%
Template Image
Fresh

John Carpenter: Master of Fear Collection

John Carpenter was one of the masters of genre filmmaking in the 1970s and 1980s. He crafted the template for the slasher movie with Halloween, and then went on to make some of the wittiest, spookiest horror flicks of the Regan era. Included on the John Carpenter: Master of Fear Collection DVD box set are The Thing, Prince of Darkness, They Live, and Village of the Damned, which are by turns spooky, darkly funny, and smarter than your average frightfest.

91%
Template Image
Fresh

Hairspray - Deluxe Edition

Adam Shankman's 2007 reimagining of the 1988 John Waters film of the same name was a rousing success, both with audiences and with critics. The musical was energetic, heartfelt, and fun, and critics rewarded it with a 91% Tomatometer and Certified Fresh status. To the delight of its fans, a new Deluxe Edition drops this week, featuring two commentary tracks and new featurettes like Inside the Recording Booth and Transforming Travolta to Turnblad, among others. With all the studios beefing up their horror catalogues in preparation for the Halloween season, this is a nice alternative for those looking for something a little more upbeat.

91%
Template Image
Fresh

An American Werewolf in London - Full Moon Edition

An American Werewolf in London may not stand as the finest horror flick the 1980s has to offer, but it does have quite a bit going for it. Its special effects and makeup (the later crafted by Rick Baker, who won an Oscar for his efforts) were ahead of their time, and Werewolf injected a fresh strain of dark comedy into the monster-movie subgenre. The Available in DVD and Blu-Ray, the hi-def version features a digital remaster of the movie, as well as a feature-length making-of documentary.

33%
Template Image
Rotten

King Kong vs. Godzilla

Seriously, why do people keep messing with King Kong? Furthermore, why not let Godzilla stay dormant on the bottom of the ocean? In King Kong Vs. Godzilla, the great gorilla goes, ahem, ape after a pharmaceutical company tries to kidnap him for an advertisement, and a submarine crew mistakenly awakens the deadly lizard. Naturally, the result is an epic (albeit cheesy-looking) battle with plenty of property destruction and the fate of the world hanging in the balance.

58%
Template Image
Rotten

Wes Craven Collection

For those unfamiliar with this horror legend, Wes Craven is the mind behind such genre classics as The Hills Have Eyes (1977) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), and here in one set are three of his films from the late 80s-early 90s. Though considered some of his minor works, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Shocker, and The People Under the Stairs mark a recognizable period of Craven's career and will probably appeal most to his built-in fanbase and those who are looking for a few good scares leading up to Halloween.

95%
Template Image
Fresh

Hero - Blu-Ray

After Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon introduced Hollywood to the artful martial arts film in 2000, audiences everywhere hungered for more of the same. Enter Hero, starring Jet Li and Zhang Ziyi , an expansive, epic story set in ancient China about an assassination plot on a governing warlord. With huge, colorful set pieces and intricate fight choreography, director Zhang Yimou utilizes a conflicting flashback method to bring the story to life. Critics praised the film, awarding it Certified Fresh status at 95% on the Tomatometer, and largely pointed to its visual splendor as one of its core strengths. Pick it up in Blu-Ray this week to see the film unfold again in the high definition treatment it deserves.

Comments

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

HERO was truly amazing.

Sep 14 - 05:59 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Hero" is awesome. "Army of Darkness" is awesome. "Wolverine" is unoriginal, goofy, and often ugly, plus half of the cast is good, but I still enjoy it. I probably won't be buying it.

BEYONCE HAS ONE OF THE BEST VIDEOS OF ALL TIME...OF ALL TIME!...sorry.

Sep 14 - 06:05 PM

Nathaniel

Julian DeBerry

Hero must look amazing on Blu-Ray.

Sep 14 - 06:29 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Yeah, the minute I saw HERO and Blu-Ray I thought, this is EXACTLY what Blu-Ray and HDTV is for!

Sep 14 - 06:32 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Sheesh, I love the movie, but how many times do they have to release Army of Darkness?

Sep 14 - 06:43 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

I actually enjoyed Wolverine quite a bit. It wasn't the greatest, especially after last year we got Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Incredible Hulk. But it was a 100 times better than that X-Men: The Crappy Last Stand. Plus it really did the Wolverine-Sabretooth rivalry much better than the first movie.

I will be buying X-Men but not the one described here. I'm getting X-Men Volume Three and Four, the latest releases in the 1990's X-Men series. That series still maintains to be the best X-Men series and up there in quality along with Spider-Man: TAS and Batman: TAS.

I don't know who wrote the descriptions, but American Werewolf in London still is one of the best horror films ever made. If I didn't already have it I would be first in line to get the new edition. Though I still might buy it depending on the special features.

Sep 14 - 06:45 PM

kenny356

Kenneth Roos

Hero is great, but I already own it on DVD. Army of darkness, with the alternate ending, where can I go wrong?

Sep 14 - 06:50 PM

Poor_Frisco

Christian Estabrook

Did Jen Yamato get fired?

Sep 14 - 06:52 PM

jebhdb

John Boggs

I would like to know what happened to Jen as well. I thought she did a great job with her column.

Sep 14 - 07:10 PM

jebhdb

John Boggs

Sep 14 - 07:10 PM

mssk8erboy

First Last

www.cinematical.com/2009/09/14/why-are-all-the-jennifer-movies-scary//

I don't know if Jen is not writing for RT anymore or doing both but she writes for Cinematical now as well/instead of.

-MIKE

Sep 14 - 07:23 PM

Funkmaster Flex

Phillip Martin

Jen mentions in her lastest article about the name "Jennifer" in Hollywood films on Cinematical that she is no longer writing for RT. She will be doing freelance.

Sep 15 - 06:36 AM

inactive user

Jared King

RT isn't as RT-ee without Jen. But you do have one of the best pics (or avatar, whatever) ever.

Sep 15 - 03:35 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Hero is awesome. I was blown away by how cool some of the martial arts and the special effects looked. Excellent choreography. And I've needed a reason to replace that old VHS of Army Of Darkness for some time. Evil Dead 2 next, right?

I might rent Wolverine this weekend. I've heard a lot of bad things (wasted Deadpool, bad special effects, etc.), but I'm in the mood to watch Hugh Jackman stab people to death for ninety minutes. It can't be any worse that The Last Stand, can it?

Sep 14 - 07:37 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well, it's about as good as "Last Stand", slightly better I suppose. I like "Last Stand", keep that in mind. As for Deadpool, he should've been in more, because Reynolds was pretty good.

Sep 14 - 07:52 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Sep 14 - 07:52 PM

thejuggernautlives

Michael Dickson

Not too much this week. I will get Wolverine for sure. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I will at least take a look at the John Carpenter collection, cause he is the master. I don't have Blu-ray, and actually haven't even seen Hero yet(it's on my Netflix queue), so unfortunately I will have to skip that.

Doesn't seem like there will be anything big for awhile, which is okay, cause I have to save my money for next week when Halo: ODST comes out.

Sep 14 - 07:52 PM

mssk8erboy

First Last

I also am excited for Halo:ODST, but i might pass on it because it seems like most of my friends aren't picking it up.

Sep 14 - 08:51 PM

Mehone T.

Mehone Tebedge

I think I'm the only one that thought 'Next Day Air' was really good. It was kinda like a black Guy Richie movie. I firmly believe that Mos Def is the ONLY good rapper/ actor.

*Note i didn't say actress, Queen Latifa is decent

Sep 14 - 09:24 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Personally I love Wolverine. It was very entertaining, and just a great blockbuster entertainment I thought. I loved Hairspray, I don't own it so I may look at the Deluxe edition, I loved that movie. Some good choices to make this week

Sep 14 - 09:50 PM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

i missed wolverine in theaters but will definently b picking it up tomorrow

Sep 14 - 09:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oooh, dont blind buy it Paints. You shouldn't blind buy as is, but definitely dont do that for Wolverine. Regardless of what I thought of the movie, I found it really lackluster, but seriously rent it first.

Haven't seen Hero yet, so I'll rent it. Still don't own An American Werewolf in London and Army of Darkness, but there transfers I hear aren't very good so I'll pick them up on DVD down the road.

Sep 14 - 10:13 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Sep 14 - 10:13 PM

Macondo

Joe Larramendia

Is it bad that I have yet to see Hero?

Sep 14 - 10:16 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Wtf is up with all these people not having seen Hero? Especially you Jokerboy, it seems like you see everything. It's fantastic, go see it immediately.

Sep 14 - 11:19 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies