X-Men Origins - Wolverine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men Origins - Wolverine Reviews

June 6, 2008
Wolverine, Deadpool, lots of action . .i enjoyed this from start to finish. Lots of more hard core comic people may have not liked it. I on the other hand not being one of them loved it.
½ June 4, 2009
Mkay so after the semi successful X-Men trilogy came this origins tale (prequel) which was originally also gonna carry on with Magneto and Professor X...I believe. We all know how that turned out though, I think the idea of yet more origin tales was perhaps a bit daunting for everyone.

So the movie is about Wolverine's origins but that is a bit of lie really, its mainly about one period in his life. At the start we see Logan as a child and how he befriends Creed, fast forward through the ages we then see the pair fighting in most of the biggest wars such as the American Civil War, WWI, WWII and Vietnam where Creed kills an Officer. The pair are then executed by firing squad? did that happen to US troops in Nam? Anyway its only then that the outside world finally notices these two blokes have been alive for over a century, I still think that would get noticed as time pasted by and we approached the modern era. The funny thing is the movie skips past all this information but it looks way more interesting and fun than what we actually get. I'd love to see Creed and Logan fighting in WWI/WWII and Nam.

Moving on we see Stryker hiring the pair to join his Team X which is easily the coolest part of the film with the most potential yet alas it is lost. The team isn't the same as the comic source material but I guess that is a given, my main issue was the fact that only Agent Zero and Wade Wilson are given anything to do. The other issue being that both of those characters come across as so powerful that I found myself asking why you would need the other guys! hell both Zero and Wilson wiped out everybody single handed without breaking a sweat. Oh and did anyone else notice how the entire team just strides down the middle of a street up to the enemy stockade?! aren't they suppose to be some kind of special ops unit?? stealth anyone???!!!

Eventually the plot takes us to Logan's most iconic bit of backstory surrounding the reinforcement of his skeleton with Adamantium. Now this entire section makes no sense and is the most cliched movie crapola ever...well that and the few times we see characters screaming into the sky with rage as the camera zooms away from their face. Firstly Stryker and his military/scientist buddies all want to create a superhuman/mutant with this experiment. They have spent millions upon millions funding it...and it works! No sooner have they managed to achieve their highly expensive goal Wolverine breaks free and escapes...of course. Because every test subject always manages to break free and run off endangering everyone (if its a monster).

What is hilarious is the fact that Stryker immediately orders Wolverines execution the minute he escapes! you just achieved what you set out to do and now you're trying to destroy it!! Plus you deliberately made Logan invincible so how the fuck do you expect to take him down?! I mean really...if you're gonna make someone (especially a powerful mutant) invincible don't you think that might cause you problems further down the road if you lose control of him...errr hello? [i]'Hunt him down, take his head off'[/i]...errm you just said he was invulnerable, how do you plan on managing this?...why are you shooting at him Zero? (jackass).

From here on it became uncomfortable as we see a nice old couple get needlessly killed (and blown up!) after they help Wolverine and we the audience start to warm up to them in a Pa and Ma Kent type way. It seems that was merely in there so Logan could pick up his natty leather jacket...yet I also find myself wondering how the fuck Zero and co actually found him there anyway. Its also at this time you start to notice the CGI effects are pretty naff truth be told. The now infamous cartoon-esque Adamantium claws which are somehow smooth like blades even though they are covering knobbly bone claws. There is also some pretty horrendous greenscreen effects that stand out badly such as Jackman on the motorbike and the helicopter gun pilot.

Everything naturally leads up to a big climatic battle between Creed Logan and Wade Wilson/Deadpool which for some unknown reason takes place on top of a huge cooling tower. In between all this Gambit pops up for again no real apparent reason other than to please the fanboys. He's clearly a real card shark when we first meet him so I literately have no idea how he would find anyone dumb enough to play cards with him but I digress. At least Gambit is Gambit...Deadpool or Weapon XI is pretty much an abomination frankly, I'm not totally up on this characters lore but they really fucked with it right here, dude looks like a Mortal Kombat character. Also why exactly is Stryker wanting to make Weapon XI? surely Logan and Creed are virtually indestructible as they are, why the need to create this uber mutant who will obviously be too powerful to control. Its so daft and a horribly bad bad guy plot cliche.

When I first saw this movie I quite liked it but now I can see where the many flaws lie. It tries to be a sensible gritty superhero movie but is actually a very cheesy predictable and hokey action movie with all the regular cliches. I think Hood forgot that his superhero flick was a prequel and is suppose to be set in the 70's (I think it is) because the general technology on display is way too good for that era. There are some nice points without a doubt, some good effects and some good visual moments that capture what we all know and love about Marvel. Unfortunately overall it all looks a bit artificial and actually poor in places, it doesn't even feel like a Wolverine origins story but more like another X-Men installment.
sanjurosamurai
May 3, 2009
the entire film worked incredibly well for me until the final act, which fell so flat that it left me feeling that the film as a whole lacked the direction that seemed to build well in the first two thirds of the movie. it wasnt just one or two things, but rather the entirety of the final act that took a wrong turn from the art direction, to the motivation of the characters, to the script itself. Entertaining but overall pretty bad.
½ January 11, 2010
Now they have taken it too far! I have always been a fan of the X-Men films, but this is no X-Men film. The filmmakers took the legendary wolverine character, took comic book events and characters, randomly threw it together and tried to make an entertaining summer blockbuster that was only mildly entertaining. It does not even nudge the franchise films, and barely packs a punch for the action and thrills. The back story to wolverine just is not that interesting, and they throw way too many characters hear and there, and if you have never read the comics, you are not really sure who they are, but it is saved by all the moral enjoyment of the film. The huge flaw that is carries is that is has to live up to the rest, which it sadly does not! I was deeply disappointed and I will never be excited to see another film based on Wolverine, but I am a sucker, so I'll probably end back up in the cinemas! Wow, what a disappointment!
June 11, 2011
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a clutter of bad CGI and underdeveloped plots. Not to mention that Gambit, Deadpool, and pretty much every other supporting superhero are extremely underused. Even the action scenes are lame and predictable. There's nothing remotely entertaining about this movie.
June 19, 2010
Despite the generally good dialogue and exciting action scenes, the script is an irritating mess full of inconsistencies and plot holes, especially regarding Victor Creed's motivations and the stupid plan conceived by one of the most inept villains ever created, Col. Stryker.
½ September 24, 2012
Hugh Jackman gives an outstanding performance to shroud the fact X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a simplistic and safe film that doesn't really execute as much as the X-Men franchise. The script touches on familiar grounds and different landscapes but still doesn't surpass the impact the X-Men trilogy had. 3.5/5
Market Man
August 4, 2012
Suffers from horrible pacing and a clustered plot. Too many twists for my taste. The action scenes are clunky and boring. Whoever wrote the script for this film must have rushed through it. It's disappointing because Wolverine is such a cool character and this film doesn't do him justice.
Nikhil N.
June 11, 2011
Fun action, great fast paced thrill ride with some story. Character development is at its optimum for the X-men films. Much more climactic than the X-3. Although it may seem a little sloppy and at times just poorly shot; the movie delivers a solid popcorn film that will be more fun than all its predecessors.
April 13, 2009
A really good cast and interesting story made it worth watching and I definitely feel like I know the characters more (coming from a non comic reader or X-men fan) so for me it was good and kept my attentions but I don't know how a hard core fan would feel. It did get a bit obvious and draining to watch towards then end but overall it was an ok movie.
thmtsang
June 15, 2008
Movie focuses on Logan and how he becomes Wolverine.
October 25, 2011
I just didn't seem to click onto the film, all-be-it there is some darn good action and some good choices in the line of casting but, I didn't seem to warm to it. Although I didn't fully follow the film, there is some credit where it's due, just struggling to put the credit in most places.
michael e.
September 27, 2010
A Film about my favorite X-men members past and origin? How do you screw that up? Somehow they did it. I liked this film the first 2 times I saw it, but I decided to read some origins of the X-men characters in some recent comics online, and this film screwed up so many different chronological moments in the characters past. They kept with the story of how Wolverine had obtained the Adamantium inside his body, but the characters are flat the action is less than perfect, and the plot has quite a few holes in it. But the biggest thing that ticked me off about this movie is that in the comics Sabertooth was never Wolverine's brother, and Sabertooth was in the first X-men film but the two don't even acknowledge each other or the fact that they are brothers, and the character of Deadpool being in this movie was just to satisfy fans to see him in something recently since how he was introduced recently and has gotten a much bigger cult following now, but they screw up his chronology as well, because in this film they make Deadpool basically invincible and made him a mute, while in the comics he isn't, and he never appeared in any X-men comics, mainly Spiderman comics. I also didn't like the cameo with Gambit because there was really no purpose to him other than him telling Wolverine where the island base was. Surprisingly the only character I kind of liked was the character that Will. I. Am played, but as usual they kill off the only cool character in the film. If I could sum up this whole movie in one simple sentence it would be "dull action and Everyone screams every 5 seconds."
July 31, 2011
Could've done better.
½ June 13, 2011
This could be considered a disappointment, but it's probably not as bad as you may have heard it is. It's very uneven, and the number of mutants tossed in the mix makes it feel bloated. That said, the conflict between Wolverine and Sabretooth is very well done, with top notch performances turned in by both actors. Add Deadpool/Weapon XI, and you have a pretty decent movie.
June 11, 2011
X-men 3 may not have been a masterpiece but at least it had decent action and good visuals. The action in this film is boring, cliche, and poorly filmed. A lot of the CGI in the film looks like it was placed at the last minute, especially Wolverines claws. The story in this film makes one wonder whether the writers even watched the three previous X-men movies. There are many moments that are just plain insulting to Wolverines character, especially one scene were the film gives a really lame explanation as to how Wolverine got his name. The film is overstuffed with useless characters. Not even Hugh Jackmans flawless portrayal of Wolverine can save the film from horrendous dialogue and poorly thought out character development. This film feels like an attempt by Hollywood to use Wolverines popularity in order make a cheap cash-in.
jamers2011
August 5, 2010
This film really did not need to be made. An X-Men prequel? Really? With that being said, when I saw this film in theaters in 2009, I left the theater very pleased. It's not the best superhero/action film I've seen, but it very enjoyable. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action, fighting, and effects are great, and even the story is okay. This film barely fits into the stories of the other films, but overall it succeeds as a member of the X-Men saga.
DreamExtractor
April 16, 2011
I didnt hate this movie, it was a million times better than The Last Stand. The action and effects were good, and fun to know Wolverines past. But I tell ya, the plot and characters are so boring I was almost a sleep. Its other characters are such bad actors it hurts. Go see it for the action and nothing else.