91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

X-Men Origins - Wolverine Reviews

June 17, 2011
I actually liked this movie aside from the stupid ending envolving adamantium bullets this movie was alot of fun and really good
Loki S.
July 9, 2014
Well, it could have been worse. Barely.
March 12, 2009
Loved learning Wolverine's history and more about people who had been in his life. Did you all catch who Liev Schreiber REALLY is? And who Wolverine has to deal with in the FIRST X-Men movie?? Yeah...blew my mind too. I really enjoyed this movie. I am unabashedly a huge fan!
January 20, 2013
Not as bad as I expected.
July 5, 2014
This movie has the superpower of boring you to death.
dylanmoberly991
July 5, 2014
It may not be as inventive, as smart, and special effects are not as great as in the original three X-men, but with Hugh Jackman's performance, A decent overall story, a few funny sequences, and still plenty of action X-men origins - Wolverine is an entertaining entry in the X-men series.
July 3, 2014
Disastrously boring and weighed down by an abundance of violence. Also, what a sausagefest.
Willem DaPerson
June 23, 2014
And now we plumb the depths.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the anxiously-awaited follow-up to 2006's enormous disappointment, X-Men The Last Stand. Considering the totality with which The Last Stand closed (it doesn't get much more final than Wolverine gutting Jean Grey), it was decided that a much easier method of vacuuming money out of peoples' pockets was to release a prequel, detailing the origins (heh) of the most famous X-Man of them all. Surely the ambiguous tale of Wolverine, complete with a number of familiar faces and darker themes, would be a great time, and make up for the dull ending of the trilogy?

How you go about messing up a film where Hugh Jackman kills things for 107 minutes is beyond me, but that's what we have. Instead of the ferocious, angry thrill-ride that Wolverine should be synonymous with, we are treated to a little too much family drama, way too much monotonous talking, and plot that manages to subscribe to all the formulaic clichés and innovate just enough to get on my nerves.

As it turns out, Wolverine's life has been intertwined with war and conflict for his 100+ year life. Having served in both World Wars and Vietnam among others, James Howlett (pre-Logan) left combat behind for the love of a good woman. However, the mutant-populated unit with which Wolverine served in Vietnam comes back to haunt him, as does his former best friend Victor (Liev Screiber, one of the film's few positive traits). Twists and turns ensue, as we are treated to the story of how Wolverine became the weapon we all know today.

The first problem with this film is that it exists. I mean, sure it's natural to want a film detailing the ambiguous backstory of Marvel's most popular mutant, but the minds behind this garbage fail to realise that Wolverine's character is as interesting and beloved as he is, precisely because of his ambiguous history and nature. Pulling the curtain back on why he has a relationship with William Stryker, why he has a relationship with Sabretooth, why he has so much anger, and just how he ended up in Alaska at the start of X-Men is a move that ruins much of what keeps fans so invested in the character.

Of course, despite everything wrong from a narrative and scripting perspective, any Wolverine-centric film has at least one redeemable quality, and that's Wolverine himself. Hugh Jackman, at the time of the film's release, had been playing the character for nine years, and his confidence within the role is considerable. He has an able sparring partner in Liev Schreiber, who appears to know the total kitsch in which he is appearing. Schreiber and Jackman's chemistry is very much appreciated in what is already a tired mess. And speaking of Kitsch, Taylor Kitsch is a surprise as the beloved Gambit. I never would have expected the former male model to hit the ground running with Gambit's casual swagger and laid back nature. The one other semi-bright spot in the cast is Ryan Reynolds (I know), who gets to be a promising Deadpool for mere minutes in the film, before plot contrivances ruin the character entirely.

As a CGI-fest, you could do a lot better than Origins. There are a few action set-pieces that impressed (a helicopter crash and smoke stack confrontation in particular), but even they are smothered by the excess of melodrama that permeates the film. For every standard action sequence (the series has seen better), there comes an abundance of wretched attempts at comedy, or pointless drama. There comes a scene where Wolverine must confront Blob. Now, Blob has never been a great character, but his portrayal here is baffling, and Jackman's over-use of "bub" is cringe-inducing. Undoubtedly, this is the worst-written X-Men film of them all.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the kind of film that I would give a 0/10 to, if I were so inclined. As a reviewer, I tend to reserve the very low scores for films that truly have nothing to offer - lousy performances, poor writing, tepid narrative, and terrible action. This film doesn't conform to all the criteria, but it's the kind of bottom line-driven, lazy excuse of a film that gets under my skin in just a way that a 0/10 would feel necessary.

However, the optimist in me can see that the cast is surprisingly strong here, and some of the (mostly-poor) special effects-driven action is entertaining. Even then, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the kind of poorly thought-out, rigorously unenjoyable film that someone with no interest in X-Men thought fans want of a Wolverine film. For everything it gets right, it gets ten more wrong, and the hurried, breakneck pace of it all makes it one of the harder X-Men films to swallow, even at a mere 107 minutes.

Save your time, save your money, and skip this film. The team behind the following X-Men films certainly did.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine gets a 3/10.
June 5, 2014
Great action & surprises, but not as good as the "perfect' 2013 Wolverine movie set in Japan. This one was always one to go back to for me because it has mystery/action/Reynolds/Gambit/Schrieber + Hood (the director of Ender's Game) to make a good movie about weird mutants and a guy in 1970's jeans and a beard, who really piles on the weirdness. It doesn't quite get nearly as good as the new Wolverine movie, but that one was an instant classic. This was a darn good movie, just not anywhere near a masterpiece. If I had to assign a number I would mark down a 7 maybe a 7.5 it's not really an 8 since I don't even own the disc, or plan on spending money on it to watch or rent or whatever. It wasn't THAT good but just another epic, forgettable blockbuster movie 7/10.
June 30, 2014
The worst movie in the franchise, the worst interptation of the comic characters, for example Deadpool and Gambit, thank gos Days of Future Past happened.
June 29, 2014
my first-ever x-men movie, in 2014. thoroughly enjoyed it and was actually sort of glad it takes place before the others, even though it was the 4th one released.
muffin0681
November 25, 2012
I own this on Blu-Ray in a six movie pack along with:
* X-Men (2000)
* X2 (2003)
* X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
* X-Men: First Class (2011)
* The Wolverine (2013)
Brandon C.
June 28, 2014
Hugh Jackman's outstanding performance couldn't save this movie. Bad cgi, bland storyline, and underused characters. The one thing that really bothered me about this movie was deadpool. They messed him up so badly.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

May 3, 2009
the entire film worked incredibly well for me until the final act, which fell so flat that it left me feeling that the film as a whole lacked the direction that seemed to build well in the first two thirds of the movie. it wasnt just one or two things, but rather the entirety of the final act that took a wrong turn from the art direction, to the motivation of the characters, to the script itself. Entertaining but overall pretty bad.
Rowan O.
June 26, 2014
terrible film, they butchered lots of loveable characters and fan-favorite and we finally got Gambit after 9 years of waiting and yet he was barely in it. The one thing I give the movie credit for is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.
December 13, 2008
Jackson is as good as ever but the film suffers from too many characters thrown together for not reason, and a script more focused on fighting than plot. The lack of a real powerful villain is also a huge disappointment.
Sarah P.
May 10, 2014
I want more Deadpool! They didn't have enough of Wade WIlson. Hugh Jackman is always great as Wolverine, the movie could never be one of the greats, though I did enjoy it somewhat. But Taylor Kitsch ruined Gambit. Don't let him near that role ever again.
Jacob Parkin
May 23, 2014
When I First Saw This I Thought It Was Pretty Good But Then After Constant Viewings After Viewings It Didn't Seem THAT Good To Me Ok I Know Hugh Jackman Is The Best Part Of The Film I Know But That Doesn't Help The Awful Script And Its Lame Acting But I Find This Movie Still To Be A Guilty Pleasure But Everything Else That's Terrible Still Gets In The Way....
June 18, 2014
While I have come to enjoy the X Men movies, ( First Class and Days of Future Past) this one not so much. This movie was just completely ludicrous, filled with very cliched characters, poor writing, and a story that'll just make you wonder " What the hell is this?" Even though Hugh Jackman was strong as Logan, all he got to do was act circles around his weak co-stars. Overall, this was a disappointing entry into the X-Men franchise. Hope the X-Men movies are much better than this.
4/10
Eric B.
August 12, 2012
This film had potential but was boring and very different than the comics.