Womb - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Womb Reviews

½ July 27, 2011
womb is a futuristic mythical tale about first love going awry into the realm of obsessional fixation. what is the ultimate form of love a woman could possibly show for the man? have him within you, inside your womb!

in the future, technology allows you to clone another human being as long as it's granted by the closest relatives and also it requires some woman who is willing to conceive the fetus of the dead. this film provides us with a revolutionary idea: eternal love through techno-utopia, a challenge toward the finitude of humanity. the film also birngs up some hypothetical political agenda: the human rights of the clone, rendered in a more realistic way than any of those sci-fi movies concerning cloning human life, such as "the island." should they be considered secondary human? (also quite a cliched discussion in the course of posthumanism, but still, no one could bring out an answer.) in this case, womb is a sci-fi romance without the blatant usage of those technical gadgets, on the contrary, the setting is around the primitive beach-area.

it's about a woman who meets her first love at the age of nine, over some desolate seashore, but when she returns to rekindle that romance, as she begins to resurrect that romance, the man dies all of a sudden in a car accident. so she makes a fatal decision to continue this love by cloning the man she loves. it appears kind of incomprehensible that how could your infatuation with the first love go this far without being physically consummated? which means, how could you grow so attached to a man without being made love to in the first place? (i try to be subtle here.)

so this affectionately obsessional woman raises the man she loves from infant to child, breast-feeding him, nurturing him just as anything a mother could possibly have done until he grows into adult and makes a girlfriend who he bring back home while the woman has to tolerate his son/lover making love to another woman every night. eventually, he has to leave her in the moment he acquires the truth, just as a man gotta get out of the womb to be a man standing on his own ground. but the moment he sheds off his bond with her, this relationship is finally CONSUMMATED. another way to view it, it would be, everything this woman has ever done is to consummate this relationship, like some un-fulfilled wish she manuevers to realize. it's like she cannot get off without making this wish come true. creepily romantic. eva green does push the envelope of her gothic woman persona, and the movie features non-nudity, no sex scene, as the course of desire is rendered through subdued, withheld gazes and smothering, seemingly innocent physical touches. what lies beneath is the most obscene passion which would transcend it all: the possessively devouring love of a woman, accompanied by the all-encompassing sea, a metaphoric representation of omnipresent/omipotent womb.

(ps) what i like about this film is how it treats radical material as this, without grotesque uglification of the woman. my minor complaint is, the leading man could have been a bit more attractive to make this love story a bit more convincing. but such set-up does have an odd effect: it makes this romance more like a solipsistic spiral within the woman's head. even the child-actor has more chemistry with eva green than matt smith.
April 1, 2012
In "Womb," Rebecca(Eva Green) returns to the island where she spent a summer with her grandfather(Istvan Lenart). While reclaiming the family home, stuffed moose and all, she looks up Tommy(Matt Smith), a childhood friend, who she now finds also grown up, along with his friend for the night, Rose(Natalia Tena). Rebecca and Tommy get reacquainted and she accompanies him to an environmental protest prank involving cockroaches. And that's when tragedy strikes. So Rebecca takes the occasion of meeting with his grieving parents(Lesley Manville & Peter Wight) to ask them to sign a form from the Genetic Replication Department.

"Womb" is a well-photographed and intriguing movie that is also occasionally creepy as hell. However, none of that sense of unease comes from the idea of cloning which I will leave to those religious thinkers who might object while ironically also preaching rebirth.(I wish we had seen more of this future which mostly seems centered around innovations in genetic engineering. So, sorry, no flying cars.) No, what worries me is Rebecca's behavior. Since the pacing of the movie is so slow, it is hard to tell how quickly time is passing on screen and therefore how much time she spends with Tommy as adults. If it is as brief as I think it is, then there is something definitely off about her wish for a third chance with him.
December 12, 2010
Interesting visuals by Fliegauf, but unfortunately, a very weak script. We have all seen much more interesting and heartfelt takes on Oedipal syndromes, from Chan-woo Park's "Old Boy" to Panos Koutras's "Strella". Eva Green seems to try her best, but the story disappoints and leaves us wonder if "the life goes on" ending could actually mean something more. If anyone has some interesting second thoughts about it, though, I am ready to listen.
May 2, 2015
Something about this movie had me really grotesquely fascinated. The whole premise is actually REALLY incredibly uncomfortable and kind of gross, but I couldn't bring myself to stop watching. The ending is one of those horrible, "Why did I bother?" non-endings where the movie just stops, but overall it's actually pretty well made... in a really creepy, inappropriate kind of way.
½ April 23, 2013
I didn't had the faintest idea on how this movie was going to portray and yet I did knew some of its background story. It was a slow movie but it was a good kind of slow and you really need a great patience when you watch this but then again there are quiet tension scenes that would make you want to know what really happens in the end. It's a good movie but not blu-ray worthy. It's one of those movies that you would see it once and then make it a memory for yourself.
November 9, 2015
Let's not mix words this is an uncomfortable movie to watch and therefore not commercial (spoiler alert for the rest of this review). However this is no reason to write it off. Yes, it is slow paced. BUT for me this an important part of this brilliant film. The subtlety is in the palate....the moments of change are few, sudden, and profound. The acting is top notch. The moral dilemmas are extended to further conclusion in this tale, not spoon fed to you either which is nice. I think it is a worthy addition to the archives.

This isn't a straight forward moral dilemma but layered. I think it is exquisite and delicate. Anyone who sees only one plot line is missing a number of points (or maybe I am reading too much into it but I don't think so).

I am not surprised it didn't rate well but I don't think that is because it isn't well put together (on the contrary I think it is well put together) - it just isn't commercial, it is also controversial and it is quiet.

Controversial in a traditional Oedipal sense - but it does take the concept a bit further culminating in an ultimate rejection, implying that the first true love can never be recreated and that technology doesn't solve that. I very much think this adds to the tale using the implications our technology is presenting to us.

There are other layers here about Tommy's (the original Tommy) mother who does not necessarily want Tommy to be cloned? How does she feel about seeing him again? The reactions are mixed but the implications are clear enough.

The landscape is so very devoid, friendships are few, and the concepts are left to populate the space in a surrealist's impression of a cloned lost love. I don't think the content appeals to many (including myself) but comments by others about script and pace seem harsh given the point that is being made about the timelessness of love (and clearly the weirdness of love in this case) and loss.

I don't know how else to get across the eternal nature of love without the pace of this film (perhaps some are suggesting it could be dealt with in a 30 minute short film). I don't know how else to point out the completeness of the loss without the desolate environment and the pace. By the end there is so much invested in it, when Tommy leaves for the second and final time due to moral conflict Rebecca is left once again but perhaps this time without hope.

I thought the point was that love and loss were eternal....technology gives us (perhaps) false hope but it really is fleeting.

Again, I think it is a brilliant movie well executed but it is not commercial (not for comfortable viewing by couples, families, pensioners, etc). I think it is definitely worth seeing (I was spellbound like some others - maybe it should be classified horror - if you don't agree with me).... just don't go with your mother or son.
April 11, 2015
There are some very interesting ideas here and one can see the skill and talent right there on the screen. Yet, somehow it never clearly forms and one is left with a dull and odd sort of love story. It just doesn't ever quite work. But, some props are deserved for the efforts.
½ December 16, 2014
It was about the dilemma going on between a mother and a son who is a biological clone of his father. When the son grow up, the situation gets worse, his mother is getting sexually attracted to his son, but it is something that is never acceptable in terms of morality, the mother has to endure that all the way. When he growed up, his girlfriend is posing another dimension to this dilemma. Jealousy started to spread through out. But apart from this dilemma, the identity crisis of his son got vanished, he came to know about the dirty secret of his life. But did it bring what the mother wish it could bring when he decided to take the clone of his lover in his womb?
July 31, 2014
While this film does delve into virgin ethical and emotional territory, most of the drama is caused by the moody and socially isolated nature of the characters, which is well established well before anyone gets cloned.
June 21, 2014
Thought it was fantastic, brooding, and emotionally complex on a level most sci fi movies can't dream of, amazed there are negative reviews of it to be honest, I thought it was something special.
May 18, 2014
the plus side of this movie is its concept. i think, the idea is original and intriguing, touching topics that to some people might find disturbing. The script has potential, but lack realization. the filmmakers didn't do the script justice. i will list the aspects that bothers me. one, acting performance, Eva Green is a good actress, but in this movie there are a lot of close up scenes that hard to pull and sometimes she could do it, sometimes she couldn't. Mark Smith didn't do a very good job portraying his character. the chemistry felt off for me, of course, it's all about preferences, but in a complicated romance movie like this it's crucial. two, the pace, it was so slow, to slow, the are a lot of unnecessary pause, there is a ten seconds shot of a dog, the character's walking in the beach, which was shot from afar (uninteresting, i would be better to have it close up), one person walking away(it take to long), unnecessary paused of one dialog to another(when it should be answered immediately), a lot of emotionless close up scenes (which i think take to long again). three, the sound, there aren't any scores, which was fine if it would feel natural, BUT jumping from one silent scene to loud waves, just no. and without score, it would depends on the actors to deliver emotional or dramatic scenes, and the they failed. so, all in all, it was a very boring movie, it's a good thing i can fast forward it.
May 20, 2014
Beautiful and brutal. I was mesmerized through the whole film, enchanted by its beauty and lost in the emotional horror of Rebecca's longing.
March 29, 2014
That was one awkward story as the name suggests! I knew it would be something else by watching the trailer and it turned out the same. Clones?? Seriously?? That was well tried and acting by Eva Green was good but I find it very boring ! Poorly Depicted !
½ February 20, 2014
DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. sorry to spoil, but the trailer is pretty self explanatory. This film is nothing but a ever building stream of sexual tension between people who really should not be having such feelings. And when this sexual tension comes to its predictable end you, the viewer, are left in your own pit of disgust. not only at the characters but at yourself, because after 1hr and 30 min of sexual tension you want it to happen. and when it does its the most traumatizing thing. because you blame yourself. for wanting it to happen. That my be some very clever film making, but i think all who went into making this film need extensive psycho analysis. All i wanted was a nice matt smith film. now i am scared for life.
December 4, 2013
Great film that raises some interesting questions of "What if" and "Would you" in the same situation.
½ November 19, 2013
Uhh, thanks, but no, thanks...
½ July 12, 2013
Super boring, weird, and uninteresting. :(
June 28, 2013
Womb is a disappointing film. It is about a woman's consuming love that forces her to bear the clone of her dead beloved. Eva Green and Matt Smith give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Benedek Fliegauf did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ June 20, 2013
The concept is fascinating in theory and the film itself is gorgeous, but the terrible pacing, banal dialogue, clunky plotting, and bland characters make it an unlikable descent into tedium.
½ March 30, 2012
Kudos to this years second movie you make you think "wtf" for a full 2 hours, followed by= "nice work creative screenwriters"