Wonder Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Boys Reviews

November 12, 2015
Great lead performances, directed by Curtis Hanson, Wonder Boys is one of my favorite movies of all time.
April 16, 2011
A great movie with a winning performance from Michael Douglas. I wish he did more movies like this these days. Tobey Maguire was also good and Frances McDormand had some nice scenes. Great screenplay and good soundtrack made by Bob Dylan
July 26, 2015
This is a WONDERFUL film and I am appalled that the box off ice was poor. There is so much crap churned out on a daily basis and this little gem deserves your full attention.
½ May 27, 2015
Funny,quirky dark comedy that's a very well acted little gem.
June 8, 2007
As a writer I love this movie. I don't know how anyone could not like it. Funny, smart, great depictions, and everything ties together. You couldn't ask for better performances.
November 12, 2014
February 23, 2007
Loved this film, all the quirky characters are quite charming rather than being annoying, which can easily happen in an ensemble piece like this one, where every character can come off like the wacky neighbor in a sit-com.

This, however, was simply delightful.

Well worth a look, recommended.
May 20, 2014
Thought this was one of those "must see" movies. Maybe I am thinking another movie?? Its got 81% on Rotten Tomatoes so critics seem to like it. I wasn't really a fan.
April 23, 2014
It's a shame this marvelous comedy bombed at the box office.
May 4, 2014
This was pretty good. How could it not be with the calibre of actors involved. Its foremost a character study and then a comedy, although I didn't find it particularly funny it is a 'fun' story (?) Michael Douglas plays a burnt out professor trying to finish his next "great" novel. He's also having an affair and over one weekend his world implodes. Tobey Maguire is incredible as the ever elusive James, one of his students and I also liked R Downey here. This was made back before he got so full of himself (Ironman) and he's excellent as an editor with questionable taste in (tall) women. The blind dog storyline was shocking and not so nice, I enjoyed the Marilyn Monroe jacket idea. Kate Holmes was completely forgettable. 05.03.14
April 4, 2014
A cracking film with some great actors at the top of their game. Well worth your time.
½ March 29, 2014
absolutely recommend this one!
March 13, 2014
This was my kinda movie, great cast and lots of wit, just great!
November 28, 2013
Pretty good drama that gives something for profs, academics, and the middle-aged to appreciate.
October 21, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ August 5, 2010
As far as being a writer goes, I may personally just be a hack amateur wannabe, and, even though I plan on being a professor, I'm not there yet. Regardless of all that though, this movie really clicked with me, and I found myself really tapping into its frequency.

The inclusion of Bob Dylan makes this already great film even better. If you're not into Dylan, or at least not later Dylan, you probabky won't agree. I think it fits perfectly though, so I'm glad it's in the movie. Even though my intro to this review showed my inability to completely relate, a movie about passionate people struggling to deal with all life puts them through is something that everyone can get, even if the specifics differ from the viewers' own personal experiences.

The weary, stoner, neurotic Grady Tripp is a great character. He's someone you can love and feel for, yet he's still very ragged, and you wonder why you should continue to care, if you ever really did to begin with. Michael Douglas is fantastic as Tripp, giving one of his best performances in years. Tobey Maguire, I feel, is channeling Bud Cort's work from Harold & Maude, and it pays off. He also gives an excellent performances as the troubled and mysterious prodigy. Katie Holmes has a smaller role, but she's also pretty good. Sometimes I forget that she does have talent. Downey Jr. and McDormand also give fine performances as always.

I liked that this was a small movie, and that it has high artistic vlaue, but that it isn't too pretentious or artsy, and that it became a sleeper hit. I haven't read the source material, but it seems like something I could see myself enjoying.

There aren't a whole lot of overtly cinematic moments, with lots of abundant style and flair, but this is definitely a "film" as opposed to a "movie". This ranks, along with L.A. Confidential, as Curtis Hanson's best film, and one you would do well to see. It's charming, touching, and very entertaining.
October 6, 2013
gr8 cast turn in pitch perfect performances and r the fuel that makes pic a gem from the director of "LA Confidential"
September 28, 2013
Michael and Toby make the finest acting pair and are complemented by a high quality team to produce a perfect character movie. The fun is enhanced with the cinematography and a first class script making a film that is well worth watching for the depth of enjoyment. Twists and turns reveal the story enhancing the mystery and quality of the actors. Nibbles: Strawberry Torte.
September 9, 2013
interesting dark comedy/indie movie that has its good moments but can see this being more of an underground hit than anything. michael douglas makes the movie as the quirky profressor haha
July 9, 2013
Wonderfully acted movie with a great cast. Michael Douglas and Tobey McGuire both delivered award worthy performances. The movie itself is heartfelt, entertaining and witty!