The Work and the Glory Reviews

April 24, 2008
A fair amount of drama and it may not appeal to those who aren't already members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
CloudIsAMonkey
½ August 21, 2007
Hello Mormon blockbuster!!

Been forever since I seen this though.

And the guy on the cover, who I'm only assuming is Jo Smith, looks just like George!! o.O !!
April 30, 2007
This stirs within me the deepest and most profound feelings of eternal love and faith. I'm LDS and so it is near and dear to my heart.
February 5, 2007
Beautifully done, historical accurate and great acting. Sam Hennings is believable and charismatic. A story that needs to be told.
½ November 9, 2006
These movies are so sad, but really good. Part of what makes them sad is the fact that they are based on what really happened.
September 11, 2006
I really like Gerald N. Lund's book series of this, so I was skeptical about this film, but it met my expectations pretty well, actually. Everyday life in the 1830's is portrayed nicelyl (besides the fact that they would all be dirtier, but who wants to watch a movie with a bunch of filthy people in it?). The actors do a really good job, especially Brenda Strong and the actor who plays Joshua Steed, although I was surprised that someone from Desperate Housewives would act in an LDS film. All told, I am really happy with the way it turned out.
April 17, 2006
Filmed by Oscar winning cinematographer TC Christensen, this is a timeless story of religious belief and persecution. It chronicles the founding of the LDS church and their search for a place to call home in a dark period of religious persecution in America. Based on the award winning series of novels.
½ May 16, 2006
Not very good. I don't think Joseph Smith would have really whacked people over the head with the gold plates, but then again...?
November 20, 2010
I am not lDs but studied thier history enjoyed all 3 of these movies they held my interest all the wat to the end
November 3, 2010
I fell asleep so fast in this one...
½ March 6, 2009
As a Latter-Day Saint, I can tell you this movie is historically inaccurate. We all know that Joseph was a schizophrenic liar and a womanizer. The film was bland. It failed to portray Joseph Smith in a good light. Everyone knows he was crazy.
½ February 21, 2009
Propaganda pure and simple. The Smith clan and their supporters are even more smarmy and sickly sweet than the Little House on the Prairie folks. I admire many of the Mormons I know, but this movie is a recruiting tool that just doesn't work. Maybe it says more about me than anything, but the evil people were far more appealing and real.
October 4, 2005
[font=Comic Sans MS]I love this movie!!! It is so great! It depicts the Mormon history very well and does not stray far from the book itself, making it even more wonderful for those who have read the entire series.[/font]
May 21, 2005
In the Mormon Movie Genre, a recent wave a movies made by members from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, (of which I am a Member of), has started.

In fact it started a while ago, with a movie called "God's Army", made by Richard Dutcher...Who is presumed to be the "Steven Spielberg" of LDS films. The next film to follow is, again, a movie by Richard Dutcher called "Brigham City", a murder mystery set in a small Mormon town in Utah. Both were good LDS films. Brigham City, ranking the best...(In the Drama/non-comedy selection...The comedies are an entirely different thing that I'll get into once Halestorm or Excel can make a 10/10 comedy...)

A while ago, a movie called "Saints And Soldiers" pretty much smashed all other LDS films down, winning over about 15 film festival awards and winning audiences around the U.S.

"The Work And The Glory" falls behind all of the films I named, but is above most of the rest.

It is a story surronding historical events of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, shown through a ficticious family, the Steed's.

Overall the movie is good, with above par acting, a good cast, and a good written flow. It's based off the Novel by Gerald Lund.

Other than that there isn't much to say...It does capture the time period excellently, it shows some of the struggle's the Mormons had, and some of the things Joseph Smith and his Wife had to deal with...though, mind you, the movie isn't focused on Joseph Smith...Rather, the Steed family.

So yea it was good...I await the sequel(s)...and I hope that they can do better than this one...
February 1, 2005
Seven and a half million dollars goes a long way in this latest entry in Mormon cinema. The sets and costumes look good, the acting is solid (for the most part), and the writing isn't half-bad. It's pretty conventional from a filmmaking standpoint, with nothing really unique or ambitious about it. The best thing it has going for it is it's story which is adapted from the popular LDS books. Nothing fantastic here, it's just pretty solid all around.
January 12, 2005
After viewing this movie I felt the need to offer my opinion about it. Myself not being a member of LDS, This movie truely inspired me to ask "What If?".
I hope that others will ask themselves the same question that this movie so eliquently puts. The production quality of this movie is indeed above par for most other non-hollywood works, and offers a refreshing story free from the flair and dramatics that have become the norm with movies today. This is truely a movie that the entire family will enjoy. I personally give this movie a 10/10 simply because of the emotion factor that the aformentioned sector of movies is seriously lacking.

-Brent Rucker