71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Working Girl Reviews

July 4, 2012
Harrison Ford is very charming here but Griffith doesn't quite measure up
June 19, 2014
I don't usually comment on score, but my God this film has one of the absolute worst film scores I have ever heard. So this is the epitome of the Hollywood film. It follows the formula perfectly, nothing really stands out. Its easy to like the Tess, and Jack and really easy to hate Katherine. An atypical Hollywood film.
Dann M

June 9, 2014
"It's asking for the taking..." From director Mike Nichols comes the satirical office comedy Working Girl. When a skiing accident hospitalizes her boss, ambitious secretary Tess McGill takes her shot at the big time by posing as a broker in order to put together a business deal that her boss had tried to steal from her. Unfortunately the script is rather weak and unfocused, unsure of what kind of comedy it wants to be; romantic, fish-out-of water, etc. Yet enough of it works to make the film entertaining, and the performance by Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, and Sigourney Weaver are especially good. Additionally, Carly Simon provides an excellent soundtrack that's quite soulful, and includes the pop hit "Let the River Run" (which is a perfect anthem for the lead character). It's a bit uneven, but Working Girl is fun and has a positive message about following one's dreams.
June 1, 2014
I finally saw (most of) this on TV, a mere 26 years after its release. It goes without saying that I'm viewing it with different eyes/perspective than a late 80s audience would have, but I do think the commentary on class and opportunity actually does go beyond the obvious/surface. This helped me overlook the dubious 80s workplace romance plotline. Good enough.
John B

May 30, 2014
A very eighties film. Melanie Griffith's character manages to work her way up and win Harrison Ford's heart...all the while being annoying as heck.
judebd
April 28, 2014
Every thing is good - Amusement at it's best.
April 23, 2011
A very cute movie that seemed like the 1980's version of The Devil Wears Prada. All the performances were wonderful from Harrison to Joan to Sigourney
March 20, 2014
Fine performances, but only a marginally above average '80s romantic comedy. Weaver is the best overall, Ford turns in the best scene (with an unconscious, drunk Tess in his apartment), and Griffith creates a charming and capable Tess. (Honorable mention to Olympia Dukakis!)
March 12, 2014
Smart dramedy of "how to rise from secretary to executive without die in trying".Charming Griffiith,Ford and Weaver
February 20, 2014
A product of its time, but the career-best performance by Melanie Griffith is still enjoyable. The underdog-makes-good story always works, too.
January 27, 2014
Rég láttam ilyen gyenge filmet.
jjb3332003
March 18, 2009
I just couldn't get past the hair...
Adrian B.
September 17, 2013
Would have been better if the film ended about 15 minutes earlier.
So apart from the (unrealistic) ending, a somewhat enjoyable rags-to-riches tale. Entertaining, though won't be on any lists of great films...
March 2, 2012
Working girl is a great piece of film on the corporate world and the female struggle within it. Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford do a wonderful job playing together and hit a square performance with the help of an all-round supporting cast. Although the movie has its little plot holes and certain aspects are glorified for the sake of entertainment, it has a good balance of humor in the story to keep it light, enjoyable but relevant. Working Girl is a somewhat classic that does age, but has its own unique flavor.
July 2, 2011
Predictable plot, and has unrealistic ending (A woman becoming boss!). I'm sure I would have liked it more if I was a girl.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
May 14, 2013
Working Girl
Written by: Kevin Wade
Dir: Mike Nichols (The Graduate)
Starring: Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Alec Baldwin and Kevin Spacey in cameo

Film received multiple Academy Awards nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Melanie), Best Supporting Actress (Sigourney Weaver - Joan Cusack) and a win for Best Song 'Let the River Run' by Carly Simon. Film grossed $103 million worldwide.

Tess (Melanie) is aspiring and ambitious secretary with arrogant head like Sigourney Weaver - Melanie dreams about becoming executive broker, while romancing with Ford who has been dating her boss.

Frankly speaking, I did not find Weaver too villainous her actions that at the end of the film she is purposelessly humiliated and insulted without any actual basis except that she does not possess the original idea. And Melanie who done unacceptable things like impersonating as Sigourney the boss of the merger could get away with the idea and being the favorite of all. I kinda went crazy laughing when I heard Melanie calling Weaver 'liar' at the near-end (although she kept lying herself to Ford for much of the film to be head of Merger).

I did like the film but the ending made it all spoil the fun the way Weaver was treated by the director - believe me she done nothing sinister that she deserved that kind of humiliation.
Dominic S.
May 28, 2013
This is Melanie Griffith's Oscar movie, even though she did not win the Oscar, but she definitely deserved the nomination.

This inspiring and amazing movie is about Tess (Griffith), a New Jersey girl who wants to make it big in the Big Apple with her well-deserved degree from five years of night school. She has been an assistant for sometime and she gets a new job assisting Katherine (Sigourney Weaver) in a major company. When Katherine, who is quite the bitch, gets into a skiing accident, Tess gets the chance to be the girl on top when she takes over Katherine's position and she gets to propose all her amazing ideas she wouldn't normally be able to propose as a secretary.

She meets Jack (a yummy Harrison Ford) and they become partners in a major merger deal Tess comes up with. Tess then finds out Jack is Katherine's boyfriend but he plans on breaking it off with her to be with Tess. Then Katherine comes home on crutches and the truth is revealed about Tess.

This film is such a great 80s business film for women. The ending is so happy. I really enjoyed this movie. I should see more Melanie Griffith movies. I never really knew her as an actress.

She gave an amazing performance in this and so did Sigourney Weaver. I am totally surprised by Joan Cusack's nomination. I love her but I don't think she deserved an Oscar nomination. She was just the cookie cutter best friend in this and nothing special. She also looked totally ratchet in all that 80s style hair and makeup. I wonder what she thinks when she see's herself like that.

Working Girl, I give you an 80%.
May 25, 2013
l only found Harrison Ford to be the good thing in this film hence the two star rating.
May 16, 2013
Horribly dated today by the fashions and hairstyles, but there is still a lot of pleasure to be gained from watching this film. A great performance from Griffith, with wonderful support, even though they're billed higher than Griffith(!), from Weaver, pulling off her best super-bitch, and Ford who proved he could pull off comedy away from Wookies and whips.
April 17, 2013
Very entertaining movie.
The only thing dragging it down is that Melanie Griffith's acting is pretty stale.