Working Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Working Girl Reviews

June 1, 2014
I finally saw (most of) this on TV, a mere 26 years after its release. It goes without saying that I'm viewing it with different eyes/perspective than a late 80s audience would have, but I do think the commentary on class and opportunity actually does go beyond the obvious/surface. This helped me overlook the dubious 80s workplace romance plotline. Good enough.
May 30, 2014
A very eighties film. Melanie Griffith's character manages to work her way up and win Harrison Ford's heart...all the while being annoying as heck.
April 28, 2014
Every thing is good - Amusement at it's best.
April 23, 2011
A very cute movie that seemed like the 1980's version of The Devil Wears Prada. All the performances were wonderful from Harrison to Joan to Sigourney
½ March 20, 2014
Fine performances, but only a marginally above average '80s romantic comedy. Weaver is the best overall, Ford turns in the best scene (with an unconscious, drunk Tess in his apartment), and Griffith creates a charming and capable Tess. (Honorable mention to Olympia Dukakis!)
March 12, 2014
Smart dramedy of "how to rise from secretary to executive without die in trying".Charming Griffiith,Ford and Weaver
February 20, 2014
A product of its time, but the career-best performance by Melanie Griffith is still enjoyable. The underdog-makes-good story always works, too.
January 27, 2014
Rég láttam ilyen gyenge filmet.
March 18, 2009
I just couldn't get past the hair...
September 17, 2013
Would have been better if the film ended about 15 minutes earlier.
So apart from the (unrealistic) ending, a somewhat enjoyable rags-to-riches tale. Entertaining, though won't be on any lists of great films...
March 2, 2012
Working girl is a great piece of film on the corporate world and the female struggle within it. Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford do a wonderful job playing together and hit a square performance with the help of an all-round supporting cast. Although the movie has its little plot holes and certain aspects are glorified for the sake of entertainment, it has a good balance of humor in the story to keep it light, enjoyable but relevant. Working Girl is a somewhat classic that does age, but has its own unique flavor.
July 2, 2011
Predictable plot, and has unrealistic ending (A woman becoming boss!). I'm sure I would have liked it more if I was a girl.
½ May 14, 2013
Working Girl
Written by: Kevin Wade
Dir: Mike Nichols (The Graduate)
Starring: Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Alec Baldwin and Kevin Spacey in cameo

Film received multiple Academy Awards nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress (Melanie), Best Supporting Actress (Sigourney Weaver - Joan Cusack) and a win for Best Song 'Let the River Run' by Carly Simon. Film grossed $103 million worldwide.

Tess (Melanie) is aspiring and ambitious secretary with arrogant head like Sigourney Weaver - Melanie dreams about becoming executive broker, while romancing with Ford who has been dating her boss.

Frankly speaking, I did not find Weaver too villainous her actions that at the end of the film she is purposelessly humiliated and insulted without any actual basis except that she does not possess the original idea. And Melanie who done unacceptable things like impersonating as Sigourney the boss of the merger could get away with the idea and being the favorite of all. I kinda went crazy laughing when I heard Melanie calling Weaver 'liar' at the near-end (although she kept lying herself to Ford for much of the film to be head of Merger).

I did like the film but the ending made it all spoil the fun the way Weaver was treated by the director - believe me she done nothing sinister that she deserved that kind of humiliation.
May 28, 2013
This is Melanie Griffith's Oscar movie, even though she did not win the Oscar, but she definitely deserved the nomination.

This inspiring and amazing movie is about Tess (Griffith), a New Jersey girl who wants to make it big in the Big Apple with her well-deserved degree from five years of night school. She has been an assistant for sometime and she gets a new job assisting Katherine (Sigourney Weaver) in a major company. When Katherine, who is quite the bitch, gets into a skiing accident, Tess gets the chance to be the girl on top when she takes over Katherine's position and she gets to propose all her amazing ideas she wouldn't normally be able to propose as a secretary.

She meets Jack (a yummy Harrison Ford) and they become partners in a major merger deal Tess comes up with. Tess then finds out Jack is Katherine's boyfriend but he plans on breaking it off with her to be with Tess. Then Katherine comes home on crutches and the truth is revealed about Tess.

This film is such a great 80s business film for women. The ending is so happy. I really enjoyed this movie. I should see more Melanie Griffith movies. I never really knew her as an actress.

She gave an amazing performance in this and so did Sigourney Weaver. I am totally surprised by Joan Cusack's nomination. I love her but I don't think she deserved an Oscar nomination. She was just the cookie cutter best friend in this and nothing special. She also looked totally ratchet in all that 80s style hair and makeup. I wonder what she thinks when she see's herself like that.

Working Girl, I give you an 80%.
May 25, 2013
l only found Harrison Ford to be the good thing in this film hence the two star rating.
½ May 16, 2013
Horribly dated today by the fashions and hairstyles, but there is still a lot of pleasure to be gained from watching this film. A great performance from Griffith, with wonderful support, even though they're billed higher than Griffith(!), from Weaver, pulling off her best super-bitch, and Ford who proved he could pull off comedy away from Wookies and whips.
April 17, 2013
Very entertaining movie.
The only thing dragging it down is that Melanie Griffith's acting is pretty stale.
½ March 3, 2011
Interesting comedy-drama. Ending is a bit Hollywoodish but the setup and plot development are good. Also has a bit of female-corporate-empowerment message, though not a very powerful one.

Solid performance from Melanie Griffith in the lead role. Signourney Weaver, especially, and Harrison Ford outperform Griffith though. Decent support performances from Joan Cusack and Alec Baldwin. Interesting to note that the cast includes Kevin Spacey, Olympia Dukakis and Oliver Platt in minor roles and David Duchovny in a very minor, fleeting, role.
½ April 5, 2013
melanie griffith is so bad that i pity harrisson ford for havin to play as her love interest. 3 stars for sigourney and ford, but not for melanie griffith
March 23, 2007
I never knew, Harrison Ford played in a rom com before, it sounded very strange, but I had to give the movie a watch. Was this a good movie? Sort of, I guess! This film, Working Girl does have potential in it and I do enjoy how they made this movie about a girl's life in the workforce and not just a cheesy romance movie, but of course when the movie starts getting towards the middle, its starts becoming a cheesy romance movie. Director, Mike Nichols has directed much better films in his past like, The Graduate and The Birdcage, but I still think he did a pretty good job with this movie. I think what bothered me the most about this movie was how cliched it was, almost every scene in this movie has either cliched lines or cliched characters. Another thing that I had a problem with was the comedy, I didn't find much things funny in this film, which is a problem because it's still a comedy. But the good things in this movie are really good, like the direction was pretty good and the performances by, Harrison Ford, Melanie Griffith and Sigourney Weaver were top notch. So, if you want to see a movie with great acting and pretty decent direction, then check this one out, but if you want to watch a movie that will make you laugh from start to finish, then I would skip this movie.