Bonding with Bond, Day 21: The World Is Not Enough

Summary

Community Manager RT-Ryan has never seen a single James Bond film, except for 2006's Casino Royale. To rectify the situation, he decides to watch every Bond film and write about his reaction as a 007 novice. Today's viewing is The World Is Not Enough, and Ryan finds it to be standard 007 fare. Back to Article

Comments

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

Die Another Day was a good film, in fact the first time i've watched it(i was 11), i loved it... then my love for the film declined as a grow up, i started to realize that old bond films are much better, meaning Connery's...
but still DAD remains a good film for me(because of the gadgets and Pierce's performance)... the thing that hurt the movie was the special effects... it was jus too fake...

now when i saw Casino Royale, i found out that bond can be a arthouse film also, with great script and Dialouge... Casino Royale is just so REVOLUTIONARY

Nov 11 - 03:21 AM

Gunnar H.

Gunnar Hansson

Monty Norman wrote the James Bond Theme, that is correct. Monty Norman also wrote the entire score for Dr. No. Burt Rhodes did the orchestrations, and Eric Rogers was the conductor. There were two recordinng sessions. One recording the Jamaican songs and tunes. The other with full orchestra for the score.

But there's still some debate as to how much John Barry contributed to the James Bond Theme, apart from being the arranger. Some sources claims he did some alterations before recording the final version. However, the rumor that John Barry also was involved with the score, is most probably not true. Barry himself claims he never saw as much as an inch of the film, until it hit the theatres. And the Theme is still credited to Monty Norman.

Nov 11 - 03:28 AM

Mark H.

Mark Henderson

I am 99.9% sure that I have read an interview with Barry in which he says that he wrote the James Bond Theme, but that Monty Norman got credit for it. It was based on a jazz number called Bea's Knees. Norman did bring in the Jamaican music of the score, but the score was performed by the John Barry Orchestra. On the strength of that performance, Barry was invited back for the following movies.

Nov 11 - 08:51 AM

Russell

Ridley Fox

I could tell you where I was when 9/11 occurred. I can tell you where I was when Barack Obama wone the Presidential nomination. I can tell you where I was when I heard that Desmond Llywellyn was killed.

Nov 11 - 06:44 AM

william m.

william milby

Yeah, this movie is just average, and so is the tomorrow never dies. I really love Goldeneye though. I definitely agree with shawndorman though, brace yourself. Die another day is one of the very worst (if not the worst period). Truly abysmal.

Nov 11 - 07:29 AM

ploodie

steve forsyth

While DIE ANOTHER DAY is clearly the weakest Brosnan, it still has its moments. The first hour or so is pretty cool - love the fencing sequence and the car-on-ice chase . . . but there is a clear jump-the-shark sequence that you will know when you get to (involving a collapsing glacier and the worst CGI since Neo fought the 100 Agent Smiths). After that scene, the movie becomes a real cheese-fest of overdone CGI.

You'll understand after watching this one how vital it was that CASINO ROYALE be a more down-to-earth film, which is the trend of the series. Build and Build and Build and then go back to basics

The ridiculousness of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE was followed by the very scaled back OHMSS. The over-the-top space trip of MOONRAKER was followed by EYES ONLY. And DND is followed by CASINO.

Oh yeah - Halle Berry is attractive and a great actress - but a terrible Bond girl. I think she brought too much clout to the role - Bond girls are better when they are relatively unknown.

Nov 11 - 07:33 AM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

I enjoyed The World Is Not Enough back when it came out. Brosnan introduced me to Bond with Goldeneye when I was young so I followed his movies, although I haven't seen Die Another Day. I did see Casino when it came out on DVD and it made me wish I had seen it on the big screen. I have gone back and seen bits from some of the older Bond movies and I enjoyed them a lot. Ryan's reviews have inspired me to add them to my netflix queue and watch them in order. Which one of you guys has From Russia With Love? I'm waiting for it. Return it. Haha.

Nov 11 - 07:38 AM

inactive user

Jared King

CHRISTMAS JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF FUNK!

Nov 11 - 07:39 AM

Mark H.

Mark Henderson

Nov 11 - 08:51 AM

Shahid N.

Shahid Niazi

one of the worst bond movies ever!

Nov 11 - 08:51 AM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

Looks like I may have made another music mistake. I apologize for that; John Barry's name is all over the credits, so it was easy for me to assume he wrote all of the music. In any case, the music is great.

Also, I had no idea his death occurred under tragic circumstances; I just assumed he had retired and died of old age. How sad... I really liked him.

Nov 11 - 11:05 AM

Gunnar H.

Gunnar Hansson

Somewhere in the credits you can always find, albeit in small lettering, "James Bond Theme by Monty Norman". But it's not at all uncommon to belive that John Barry did far more than he really did. Especially when it comes to Dr. No, where the credits on the albums almost never are accurate.

Desmond Llewelyn had, as a matter of fact, retired when he was involved in that unfateful car crash. If that hadn't been planned, he would probably not have had this great exit.

Nov 11 - 02:05 PM

Gunnar H.

Gunnar Hansson

No reason to apologize. Very common mistake.

Nov 11 - 03:10 PM

Gunnar H.

Gunnar Hansson

Nov 11 - 02:05 PM

inactive user

Jared King

This isn't important, but the Silken Floss and Sand Saref images are fantastic! Them alone make "The Spirit" worth seeing.

Nov 11 - 02:44 PM

Gunnar H.

Gunnar Hansson

No reason to apologize. Very common mistake.

Nov 11 - 03:10 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

I think this movie isn't as good as the sum of its parts. I think Brosnan became more comfortable in the role with each movie he made, and certainly had become Bond by this point. Sophie Marceau's character was great; it's not often a Bond girl ends up being the mastermind, and I thought she did a good job of it. The plot had good potential, and wasn't as outlandish as some. Robert Carlyle can make a great villain (check out Ravenous to see him at his creepiest), and I thought the idea of a enemy who felt no pain was great. That feature made him an extremely dangerous opponent, just as much so as some of the other super-powered henchmen in the Bond films, but he was much more realistic and explainable than say Jaws or Oddjob. Still, despite the potential there, he seemed greatly underused. And all those other things this movie had going for it just didnt seem to come together quite right. It's hard to point out any specific flaws (other than the use of Denise Richards), but something is wrong that prevents it from being really good.

Nov 11 - 09:34 PM

SolidChamp

Thomas Bellmore

Heh, ever see 'Die Another Day'? Sorry, that one is much, MUCH worse.

Nov 11 - 11:53 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships