Critic Review - The Atlantic

Unlike the Pixar films toward which it aspires-which marry sophisticated conceits to straightforward storylines-Wreck-It Ralph consistently gets lost in its own intricate plot mechanics.

November 2, 2012 Full Review Source: The Atlantic | Comments (42)
The Atlantic
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Fourteenyearold

Louie 098

Yeah right.

Nov 2 - 02:13 PM

Jimmy Hinson

Jimmy Hinson

Not a fan of dem vidja games (or good movies) I take it?

Nov 2 - 02:24 PM

Mike G.

Mike G

"Pixar, Pixar, Pixar, Pixar.." Get off it man, Disney has been making legendary cartoons since before you were born. And in case you didn't notice, this is scoring considerably higher than "Brave" and "Cars 2", Pixar's latest offerings.

Nov 2 - 03:22 PM

Ginny Higerd

Ginny Higerd

I couldn't agree more.

Nov 2 - 04:06 PM

yreimm0308n901

Chúc Đinh Quang

totally agree.

Nov 7 - 05:45 AM

PatvD

Pat Village

Amen, it's always Pixar Pixar Pixar.

Pixar hasn't made a great film since 2010. MEANWHILE, Disney has been on a quality streak since Bolt. But no one cares because they're not Pixar. Cars 2 and Brave are mediocrities compared to Tangled and last years Winnie the Pooh.

Can we please stop pretending Disney is still inferior to Pixar? Because they're not.

Nov 2 - 05:09 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

I prefer Brave to Tangled but I agree that Cars 2 wasn't, um, good. At least for their standards. I hope Monsters University turns out well. And their next three movies look pretty inventive. A movie that takes place inside the mind of a human? Sounds good to me. I enjoyed Bolt.

Nov 2 - 08:46 PM

Edwin Ramirez

Edwin Ramirez

yeah not a Pixar film... maybe thats why it was good lol

Nov 2 - 05:13 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

I don't think that's fair considering all of the classic films Pixar has given us. Maybe you're just trolling.

Nov 2 - 08:43 PM

Tim Terrell

Tim Terrell

I agree, Josh.

Nov 2 - 11:14 PM

John Arthur Beaman

john b

Or maybe he was just joking?

Nov 3 - 04:06 AM

Michael Morris

Michael Morris

"consistently gets lost in its own intricate plot mechanics." Spoken like a pretentious douche.

Nov 2 - 07:02 PM

Patrick Fairchild

Patrick Fairchild

Okay. How well has Pixar done in the last two years? Oh that's right, they delivered a crappy sequel and a fairy tail that didn't bother to research how Scottish people really acted. And how does it get lost in its own plot? You should go back to college buddy.

Nov 2 - 07:55 PM

Ethan Sam

Ethan Sam

Because films like "Brave" and "Cars 2" are so complicated...

Nov 2 - 08:20 PM

Steve Mavrelos

Steve Mavrelos

Cars 2 was simply a way to sell more merchandise.

Nov 5 - 01:07 PM

Greg Harriman

Greg Harriman

I would say that this movie had a better storyline, concept, and better character development than Brave, and that's saying a lot. You just might not be a fan of video games.

Nov 2 - 08:35 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

I don't know, the twist in the end of Brave was pretty awesome.

Nov 2 - 08:47 PM

Cai C.

Cai Carney

I salute you Greg Harriman.

Nov 4 - 04:02 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

How come every animated movie that tries to be good is trying to be a "Pixar" movie all the time? Maybe some filmmakers actually just want to make a good movie.

Nov 2 - 08:41 PM

Tanner K.

Tanner Knight

I don't agree with his overall (I thought the movie was great), but I did think the climax was a bit convoluted. Still, it's his opinion, people; don't shit all over it.

Nov 2 - 10:36 PM

Tim Terrell

Tim Terrell

It is totally his right to shit all over this movie, so we can shit all over his horrible review, which was written in a condescending tone. And it was inaccurate.

Nov 2 - 11:27 PM

Tanner K.

Tanner Knight

In your opinion, it was inaccurate. But not in his. You could provide constructive criticism or argue your point without getting upset. It's only a movie.

Nov 7 - 04:57 PM

Tim Terrell

Tim Terrell

"intricate plot mechanics" Bull. This story was simple and to the point, with many cool subplots. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Meanwhile, this "reviewer" crapped on this movie while praising the trite treacle called "Paper Man", a predictable and cloying short (that felt too long.). btw Orr, "Mad Men-y Manhattan" is a lazy and lame description.

Nov 2 - 11:32 PM

Sergio Mauricio Algarín Arzate

Sergio Mauricio Algarín Arzate

Latest two Pixar movies ("Cars 2" and "Brave") have been just plain crap... and the upcoming "Monsters University" looks even worse. This work, with nothing of Pixar in it, is somehow fresh, different and intelligently aimed to both parents and their children. Your comments are pure and senseless garbage.

Nov 3 - 01:34 AM

Alec Ingulsrud

Alec Ingulsrud

It doesn't aspire to Pixar films. It set a standard for good films made about video games, and I couldn't be happier to see them start off with a movie like this.

Nov 3 - 04:42 AM

All-Knowing Panda

The Panda

So Cars 2 and Brave weren't straightforward storylines?

Nov 3 - 06:35 AM

Jai Chirravuri

Jai Chirravuri

This guy clearly hates life and looks for any reason to knock it down... douchebag

Nov 3 - 10:23 AM

Lucas H.

Lucas Hazlett

Why do critics (like this guy) insist on immediately making out outlandish comparisons! Review the film on it's own merit! Imagine every idiot critic compared films to the Godfather or Citizen Kane, they would sound utterly pretentious. How does this guy have the balls to say that the filmmakers of "wreck-it-ralph" sat down in pre-production and said aloud "this film must be Wall-E or better"- I highly doubt it. These guy's wanted to make a fun family film based on the premise of past and present video games, and they achieved exactly that. Furthermore, I don't play video games, and never have, but I absolutely connected with the characters and was thoroughly entertained throughout this film.

Nov 3 - 01:46 PM

Shity Shitterson

Shity Shitterson

you should definatly not be a "Top Critic" if you honestly think this was a bad film in any matter of the word, what a douche

Nov 3 - 09:24 PM

Josh Underwood

Josh Underwood

I didn't have any trouble following the story, and the kids in the theater all seemed to be enjoying it the whole time. Begs the question, why did you (presumably an adult with a mostly-functioning brain) struggle with the "intricate plot" of this kids' movie?

And is it a gag reflex for critics to reference Pixar in the face of every animated feature review? We all know they make great films, but it's honestly a bit lazy and insulting to the crafters of this film that you couldn't judge it on it's own merits. This film wasn't trying to be Up or Wall-E with those types of messages, and I don't see why it should be compared that way. It's like saying Office Space sucks because it isn't like Schindler's List.

Nov 4 - 12:33 AM