Box Office Guru Wrapup: Ralph & Flight Make B.O. Soar

Summary

The holiday box office season started with a bang thanks to the one-two punch of two new releases that pulled in sold-out audiences - the animated video game comedy Wreck-It Ralph and the Denzel Washington drama Flight. The pair led the top ten to a healthy 19% jump over the same frame last year. And with tens of millions affected last week by the deadly hurricane Sandy, it was questionable what impact theaters would see but compelling product brought people out of their homes and into the multiplexes putting the film industry in a good position going into the final weeks of the year. Back to Article

Comments

Cai C.

Cai Carney

I absolutely LOVED Wreck-it-Ralph! It is my favorite movie of all time now and I hope the best for it.

Nov 4 - 03:57 PM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Yeah, I hope it beats out Hotel Transylvania. I did not like that movie.

Nov 4 - 04:08 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

what about paranorman? can't forget paranorman.

Nov 5 - 05:10 PM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Yeah, I hope it beats out Hotel Transylvania. I did not like that movie.

Nov 4 - 04:08 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

what about paranorman? can't forget paranorman.

Nov 5 - 05:10 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Wreck it Ralph was great! Many video game references as promised. If the movie can be in this years oscars for best animated feature I surely expect it to win, the years best animated flick hands down, sorry Brave. I'm torn between if I'd welcome a sequel though, if they don't just repeat the same thing and somehow make an original film have a sequel with further originality then it should be a kung fu panda 2 as opposed to a cars 2 if you can follow that thought process.

Overall, nostalgic film, good job by the voice cast (Reilly was a great fit for Ralph), and well worth the price of admission.

Nov 4 - 04:08 PM

Tyler Bass

Tyler Bass

Since I work at a Theater, I know that Wreck-it Ralph will definitely be at the top for a while! That movie is probably my favorite movie of all time as well!!

Nov 4 - 04:10 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

I saw Wreck it Ralph before I saw Hotel Transylvania the same day...It was like eating the delicious half of a rancid sub first, I'll tell ya what.

What was more unpredictable? Bruce Willis' death, Captain America's new time period or Turbo's identity?

Nov 4 - 04:49 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I'm reserving judgment for "Hotel" until I see it, which probably won't be until DVD.

YES, Bruce Willis' death and especially Turbo's identity were both brilliant plot twists, neither of which I saw coming. About the Captain America twist, though, were you talking about the end of "The First Avenger"?

Nov 4 - 10:17 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Rent the DVD, it's not even worth the price of admission. Trust me.

Yeah, The First Avenger ending took me by surprise (Though The Avengers' 2 post credit endings were okay, though not nearly as impressive).

Nov 5 - 06:51 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Turbo's identity wasn't really that surprising. You knew after they gave his back story he would be in the movie somewhere.

Nov 6 - 11:31 AM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Good point (the fact that "King Candy" drove a white racecar makes it seem really obvious in retrospect). I guess "brilliant" may have been a little strong, it's just that in the moment of watching it, it was a big "a-ha!" moment for me.

Nov 7 - 01:04 AM

Tino Pecchia

Can't wait for Wreck-it-Ralph. Not excepting it to as good as Brave & Frankenweenie for me. But if it is I like nice surprises.

Nov 4 - 04:53 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Let's all hope you're 11 and retarded.

Nov 4 - 05:10 PM

17 & don't give a fuck

Nov 4 - 05:32 PM

Dawn Havard

Dawn Havard

So, First/Last - you're 12 and mentally challenged?

Nov 6 - 10:06 AM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

It really is better than Brave in my opinion, Brave was good for what it is, but Wreck it Ralph seemed more Pixar than Brave did.

Nov 4 - 05:21 PM

Tino Pecchia

I actually prefer Disney Animation over Pixar. But I love both Studios.

Nov 4 - 05:34 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Or people might actually just enjoy good animated films? But oh wait, that's just absolutely ridiculous.

Nov 4 - 05:22 PM

Tino Pecchia

I always say "If you make a film I enjoy a lot, I'll say good job my good sir".

Nov 4 - 05:36 PM

17 & don't give a fuck

Nov 4 - 05:32 PM

Tino Pecchia

I actually prefer Disney Animation over Pixar. But I love both Studios.

Nov 4 - 05:34 PM

Tino Pecchia

I always say "If you make a film I enjoy a lot, I'll say good job my good sir".

Nov 4 - 05:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Snotbag children. No foo foos allowed in "Flight", a MAN'S movie. And the top per-screen average.

Nov 4 - 05:55 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Flight WAS very adult oriented. Full frontal female in the first minute. Not bad. You know Ralph would've wrecked that!

Nov 4 - 11:44 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Then complained about it later. HA! No I'm kidding I really enjoyed wreck it Ralph and I look forward to seeing Flight. Does this box-office show people have gott'n over "how offensive" plane crashes are in movies?

Nov 5 - 08:36 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'm more offended by planes crashing in real life. And I don't want to hate on Ralph exactly, as much as the Disney minions.

Nov 5 - 01:39 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Sex and screwdrivers. The kids just don't understand...

Nov 5 - 01:40 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

This has really been driving me crazy. THe descriptions of what FLIGHT is about on reviews and from people I know have seen it have been greatly different then the previews. Are the previews inaccurate or is the film much deeper than what you can show in 90 seconds?

Nov 5 - 06:52 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's a character drama first and foremost, with Denzel giving another amazing and complex performance.

Nov 5 - 07:27 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Its about addiction and taking responsibility. It's also kind of about fate and "God's plan"(IMO). The crash is just a catalyst to Washington's self realization about what he's become. I liked it, however, without Denzel I don't think the movie would have worked as well. He portrays functioning addict to the T.

Nov 5 - 08:49 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

So far, so good. Bring on the Bond next weekend!

Nov 4 - 06:07 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Good to see that "Flight" made #2, I wasn't sure if people were gonna go for it or not (I'm rather interested myself).

I wasn't sure if "Ralph" was going to really attract younger audiences, due to all of the 80s nostalgia-based humor, but I guess I was wrong: that's a darn good opening! I personally thought it was great fun, and want to see it again at some point.

Nice that "Argo" is still holding up well. "The Man with the Iron Fists" sounds like the kind of film I could wait to watch on DVD, but I'm sure lots of people had fun with it, so more power to them.

Dang, I didn't expect "Taken 2" to still be doing so well this late in the game. Well, it's probably good escapism. Really surprised "Cloud Atlas" is doing that poorly, I remember hearing somewhere that it was highly anticipated.

Still have yet to see "Hotel Transylvania", I've heard it's funny, but I'm kind of iffy about seeing it in the theater. "Here Comes the Boom" sounds like it'll be sweet if nothing else, and "Silent Hill" isn't really my thing. Even though I'm not a big Bond fan, "Skyfall" might be a pretty good time next week.

Nov 4 - 07:41 PM

Austin Putnam

Austin Putnam

Wreck It Ralph was absolutely excellent. Flight was very well made. Man with the Iron Fists is a fun homage to classic kung fu movies.

Nov 4 - 08:31 PM