Wrecked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wrecked Reviews

garyX
½ March 6, 2013
Adrien Brody awakens battered and bloody, trapped in a car wreck on an isolated mountainside with no memory of who he is or how he got there. In a similar vein to 127 Hours and Buried, Wrecked is very much a one man show as Brody is essentially alone for the vast majority of the film. Being a fan of his though, I don't have a problem with this idea but the initially intriguing crime thriller premise hinting at a shady past and potential vengeance-based drama never materialises. Instead we have Adrien Brody stuck in a car for half an hour, followed by Adrien Brody crawling through some woods for a further hour, and that's pretty much it. More a wilderness survival drama than crime thriller, Wrecked is well acted and nicely shot in some attractive locations but the pay off at the end when you discover what happened is just not strong enough to make for a satisfying experience. There's not a lot wrong with it; it's just a little too insubstantial.
September 3, 2012
It`s well-crafted and mind-bending at times but dose not really satisfy or intrigue as it should. Theres no real bare bones to the piece and looks to be more man vs. nature than vs. self. Brody does give a good performance with what he has, not one of hise best performances but not his worst either.
April 26, 2012
3 3/4's stars actually...Apparently not for everyone. This film, to me, is a classic example of a good story with outstanding acting that makes for a good viewing experience. No need for expensive special effects when the delivery is so well done. Adrien Brody has become a favorite actor of mine, and this film is a very good example why...he is wonderful. This is a movie with a simple story, and enough ambiguity, to keep you watching all the way to the end. The fact that you don't know how it will end, till it ends, makes it worth while...
LWOODS04
December 19, 2010
Cast: Adrien Brody, Caroline Dhavernas, Ryan Robbins, Adrian Holmes, Adrian Hughes, Lloyd Adams, Mark McConchie, Jacob Blair

Director: Michael Greenspan

Summary: Adrien Brody stars as a man who wakes up trapped in a crashed automobile in a steep wilderness ravine, injured and clueless with no hope of rescue. As the man struggles to survive, he slowly remembers the events that put him there.

My Thoughts: "The opening scene grips you and you want to stay and finish it till the end to see just what really happened. Now usually a movie like this might come off boring and uninteresting. But that is why it takes a genius actor like Adrien Brody to pull this movie and character off. Some scenes are pretty gruesome. Especially the scenes involving the mountain lion. But the movie takes you in and out of mirages and flash backs to his life, or what he thinks was his life. Slowly his memory comes back and the real story unfolds. Not a great film, but not a horrible one either. Worth watching at least once if you get the chance."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
August 16, 2011
"When your mind is a mystery, you can survive the wilderness but can you escape your past?"

A man trapped in a car wreck at the bottom of a ravine must overcome incredible odds to survive.

REVIEW
Wrecked is an interesting little low budget film that has a fairly promising premise that should attract the viewers (because the poster certainly won't). A man wakes up in a car wreck in the woods with no idea of who he is or why he got there, with his only company being that of the dead body in the seat next to him. It soon becomes apparent that help is not coming and he has to get out of the car. But once he's free, his troubles have only just begun, as he finds out that he is not alone in the woods.

There is a lot to like about this little film. Adrien Brody does a great job of displaying how painful and lonely it would be if one was trapped in this particular situation, and of course the film rests on his acting and the great imagery and camera work. The film never becomes too slow, and there is always a new little plot point or clue that leads the viewer on.

Of course one should not go into this film expecting a sordid tale of survival and battles with mountain lions. Instead, what we have is a psychological exploration, where the woods serve as the back drop for all of the character's guilts and desires, and soon we are doubting what is real and what isn't. Think of J.G. Ballard's "Concrete Island" or Stephen King's "Gerald's Game". While it is ultimately weak with a so-so story, "Wrecked" is worth watching at least once just to enjoy the work of Brody and the fluid flow of the film.
MANUGINO
April 16, 2011
Very weak and pointless film. Is this trying to imitate somehow 127 hours or Buried? It has some comparisons but fails. The movie just seems to drag on to nowhere, it's pretty absurd. Adrien Brody I guess is taking any acting job available, that's pretty bad and desperate from his part.

A man awakes amnesic in a wrecked car in the woods with his leg trapped in the front panel. Sooner he finds that he is in a inhospitable area with wild animals surrounding him and that there is a dead man on the back seat and another one on the land. When he listens to the news on the radio, he learns that three armed and dangerous men had heisted a bank and killed the security guard. The man finally releases his leg from the panel and finds the stolen money in the trunk; then he concludes he is the third thief. He unsuccessfully tries to find a way out of the jungle while he has flashes of recollections of his past.
thefog1331
½ August 2, 2011
Cousin to movies like Buried and 127 Hours BUT this one feels much more satisfying.
July 15, 2011
Very, very interesting concept. Man wakes up in car, pin down, that has been totaled out in the middle of the woods. There are two dead bodies in the back seat, and he doesn't remember anything. Well, it may sound interesting, but it's boring as hell. The movie is basically just Adrien Brody, as the man in the car, trying to escape. Kind of like "127 Hours" in that it's about one guys struggle, and the whole movie is pretty much just him. Only "Hours" was interesting, engaging, and had you rooting for the guy to get free. This had me checking the time to see how much more was left, and struggling to stay away. I wanted to stop half way through, but figured I had to find out what happens to this guy. I should have stopped the movie, because honestly the things I think of what they could have done with this concept, seem a lot better than what they did. There are a couple of good moments that are suspenseful, but overall they don't save this movie at all. Skip this and check out "127 Hours" or "Buried" instead.
Julian Left
½ July 14, 2011
"I'm left with nothing..."

Michael Greenspan's debut "Wrecked" it's an ambitious film with a good premise that has significant problems with it's identity. It tries to be both a character study and a situation study while challenging themes like "redemption", "faith", "men's natural instict" or "the fight for survival".

Adrien Brody stars as this guy who wakes up after being involved in a car accident in a forest medium. At the beginning he's confused and tries to acknowledge what happened. He sees the dead bodies of two other males, he sees himself wounded and full of scars and coagulated blood. His state of mind balances from desperation to calm. Sometimes he panics and sometimes he uses reason to think about what happened. He has a short memory loss since he can't figure out who the other guys were. He spends two days trapped in the car with an injured leg without food and water. He's suddenly visited by a young woman who brings him water and food but she disappears the same way she appeared. Now you're questioning the point of this film. Is it trying to connect two worlds? The world of the living and the world of the dead? What it wants to achieve? Well... you don't know that yet because the movie feels just wrongly constructed. You don't get a sense of the purpose of this even if you might get what's with the strange woman visiting him from the beginning because it is an element used before in films like this. Now, the appearance of a gun and the broadcast of some radio news will change things for our protagonist. He finds out that he's in fact, a criminal, a robber and that the other two men were part of his team and that they are responsible for the death of one person. Now the woman who appears constantly is obvious is the woman killed in that bank robbery. She "whispers" him that even if he'll survive and get out of that forest he won't be able to really get away with things. However, the fight for survival interferes and Adrien Brody enters into a journey of liberation accompanied by this weird "warm" and friendly dog. From this point on, if you'll not be bored yet thanks to the terrible pacing and the obviousness of the script, you will get bored because nothing spectacular will happen. This is not even a character study. We don't get to really see what our character feels, we don't get to see what's in his mind, we just see a bland and foggy image of him trying to save his life. This topic provides a multitude of legit approached that the director could have chosen yet he's obsessed with stale shots and obvious development of the situations.

I think Michael Greenspan is a fan of Tarkovskiy. I'm saying this because a lot of those shots, a lot of the mixed fix landscapes and suspenseful music reminded me of Tarkovskiy. The problem is Tarkovskiy's movies have a heart, have a message, have a deep but strong essence, each shot delivers something, the atmosphere in them is stunningly immersive and surreal. This movie needed to be realistic as hell and to feel surreal. Speaking of surrealism, you'll have Brody walking in straight line, along some river with this dog and end up in the same place were the accident happened. Now you're having a Blair Witch Project reminiscence. You're thinking this might lead to something and probably that all the time spent with this character was not for nothing. You get him having confrontations with this woman, you get him showing signs of paranoia, of madness, of rage and anger. That is pretty obvious since he considers her as the reason for this infinite space of time he's trapped in. After a while of continuously moving around this circle, he has a small explosion of consciousness and reminds what really happened. That experience alone feels like a shocker for him but not really for us given the fact that the dialogue between him and this woman give us plenty of reasons to think about it and validate this scenery before we get acknowledged with it. In the end, we get a feeling of "that was it?". I didn't found any metaphorical content, any emotional impact, any reason for me to simply care. It was just a stale and mediocre piece of filmmaking.

Now Brody caries his character with more than just decency. Brody is a good actor that can only offer what the script can offer and since the script was poorly written on Brody's character, we get to see him trying to light a spark of life into our protagonist and make us not close the movie or walk out of theater 10 minutes in. The execution of this movie, like I mentioned earlier, is influences by Tarkovskiy's Stalker. You see the director tries to do something ambitions but falls right short. The cinematography is good, feels natural, the lightning is good but there's no sign of the DP playing with us and playing with his color and his lenses. It's just like he shot each frame in the same manner. If this was on purpose then it didn't actually work on me. The music feels tense but there's no tension in the film so it doesn't progress right. The editing sometimes looks choppy and the blood and wound effects and makeup don't look as real as I thought they should have looked.

On short, I was disappointed because I thought the premise of the movie would be interesting and that this might be a decent start for this filmmaker but I was proven wrong. This film tries to be too serious and too methodic and tries to be realistic while feeling surreal and it just becomes dull and pointless. I'm left with nothing...

Storyline/Dialogue: 5/10.
Acting: 8/10.
Technical Execution: 7,3/10.
Replay Value: 2/10.
============================
Overall: 5.6
Harlequin68
September 19, 2012
"Wrecked" starts with a man(Adrien Brody, who I had more respect for before he started doing commercials) waking up in a crashed automobile in the middle of the woods with a broken leg and absolutely no memory of who he is or how he got there. If you think that's bad, check out the dead guy in the back seat. Soon, he knows there is such a thing as a fate worse than death, when he gets the car radio working, which may soon become a serious regard, considering the lack of food and water. But then help may not be as far away as he once feared...

Minimalist as it is, "Wrecked" aims to be a suspenseful story of survival but instead settles to be little more than an actor's exercise. But if you're going to have one of those, it is best to have an actor like Adrien Brody who is always interesting to watch. Since the movie is so obsessed with playing mind games, it is more than a little tough what to make of the character at times, and therefore how much we should care about him. And the movie's solution is not so much deduced, as it is revealed, with a little lack of logic and a couple of lessons learned in the end.
Cameron W. Johnson
February 9, 2012
Wow, Adrien Brody looks like a "wreck" in that poster alone, and if you think that he looks rough enough in that, just wait until you see him in the film itself. He didn't get beat up; he got beat all kinds of directions and was left bloodied, battered and in tears, but I was still kind of chuckling a bit, because he broke his nose. That thing's crooked enough as it is, and plus, all of this nose-breakery it totally unrealistic on the film's part. If a regular nose is hit hard enough at the right angle, then you can puncture the person's brain, whereas if Adrien Brody broke his at the right angle, his head would probably explode, or at the very least, he would lose his power. I don't know what power that is exactly, but that second head that didn't get a mouth or the eyeballs for the sockets or "nostrils" has to have some kind of a purpose. Hey, just as long as he doesn't lose the power to act, I think we'll all be alright, because a world without an awesome actor like Mr. Brody here is a bleaker one. Still, that doesn't mean that a world that's filled with "just" Brody is perfect either, because although he's just too darn good for this film to wreck, it still hits its fair share of bumps along the road.

It's getting to the point where a complaint like "nothing happens" is way too, but really, that's the perfect way to describe this film, because, really, "nothing happens". Don't get me wrong, tedium is absent, but the editor seems to have left too. Sure, this is a bottle film, so that's the point, but phenomenal bottle films like "Cast Away" and the more recent "127 Hours" are relatively tight in their nothingness, enough so that you really feel the atmosphere of the situation, and then it's on to the next thing. Here, while the film isn't as terribly loose as I'm making it seem, way too many segments go on way too long, and it should go without saying that, after a while, you find yourself rather bored, if engaged in the film at all, and that's a shame, considering that this film does more than just leave Adrien Brody stuck in his beaten up car. There's more uniqueness and versatility in the premise than you'd expect, but its potential isn't explored as thoroughly as it should be, and the unsupplemented product seems to be nothing more than an overlong, suspenseless bore of a bottle thriller. However, that's the "unsupplemented" product, not the final, and that's a huge difference. True, this film doesn't hit as well as it should, what with its loose editing and limited inventiveness in tone, but it most certainly does not go unsupplemented, and it is its excellent supplements that make the film worth experiencing in the long run.

The tone may not be as dynamic as it should be, but the cinematography certainly is, which isn't to say that the production and photography are as lively as they are in some of your more broadley-scoped bottle films, but James Liston's shots in here are well-staged and dynamic enough for you to really observe and absorb the claustrophobia of the situation, and with the bleak darkness in the lighting adding to that sensation, it doesn't take long for you to figure out that this film is far from devoid of intrigue. Of course, Mr. Liston isn't the only person that brings that fact to light, and although director Michael Greenspan isn't terribly consistent in his tone of intrigue and refreshingness - in terms of films of this type -, he hits way more often than he misses. He's overemphatic about the atmosphere, but when Greenspan does make that emphasis, he really livens things up, and when he drops it, he sells quiet meditation, maybe to the point where you eventually fall out of the film, but for every moment where the film loses momentum, it'll kick the gas and get back that tension. Still, even then, the tone is not much more than an eternal routine of getting comfortably numb before slipping out of this world, followed by a hit of tension that still just flows along until steam is lost, and although that routineness really quickens the pacing out, after a while, the steam would just stay lost. However, what keeps this puppy pumping through and through, and makes it such a chilling, yet very enjoyable atmospheric thrill ride is, well, need I really say it? Bottle films have always been ultimate tests, and usually ultimate testament, to see just how powerful the ability to act can be, and sure enough, Adrien Brody continues that tradition, giving a tour de force performance at a man at the edge of both society and humanity. Stranded, broken, stricken with amnesia and on the run; no one knows exactly what we would do in a situation that intense, except maybe Brody, because with skillful authenticity, he executes the raw emotion and panic with powerful skill, as well as the eternal internal battle that is humanity with subtlety and grace, and whether he's kicking and flailing around, or just trying to quietly stay intact long enough to piece the rest of him together, Brody is killing it dead with a powerhouse presence that carries the tension of the film and once again shows us what it truly mean to be, not simply an actor, but a bonafide acting "talent".

Overall, its loose, familiar and sometimes unengaging interpretation of some potentially very unique spins on the bottle film genre keep it from being a highlight among films of its type, but with dynamic cinematography keeping things lively, more-often-than-not effective atmospheric storytelling by Michael Greenspan keeping things flowing and a simply brilliant, authentic and unrelentingly raw performance by Adrien Brody keeping things compelling, "Wrecked" stands as a very enjoyabale, workmanlike number in the bottle film genre, as well as a particularly notable testament to Brody's awesome acting abilities that make it worth the watch.

3/5 - Good
August Seria
½ February 5, 2012
Adrien Brody put up a solid performance. Though some parts are low in thrills, it has a satisfying conclusion. It's another one of those good "What if that happens to me?" films.
March 22, 2011
Adrien Brody has proven time and time again that he can carry a film, even low budget films, but in Wrecked, there is no salvaging the void plot and impossibly slow pacing. Brody does just fine reflecting the appropriate emotions, but with zero dialogue and constant dream sequences, this film lacks anything to keep hold one's attention. Recreating a realistic car crash aftermath may sound impressive, but when you sit and watch it play out on screen, it is like watching grass grow.
John2223
July 16, 2011
PR
July 15, 2011
Has a lot of potential but failed to give it a definite conclusion, Brody's acting was good though, without him the whole film would be a fiasco
½ March 2, 2013
this is a one trick pony thriller that be warned if u don't like adrian brody don't bother but as far as i'm concerned he proves once again that he has enogh screen appeal to carry this pic much like 'the pianist'.
August 25, 2012
If you've been wanting to watch Adrien Brody crawl through the woods for an hour and a half... NOW'S YOUR CHANCE! That's almost the entire film. Brody has enough presence to keep some viewers from turning it off after the first half hour. That's about the best that can be said for this exercise in tedium.
April 2, 2011
This was boring. Brody did a great job, but watching him crawl around in the woods is only so entertaining.
½ June 6, 2012
Not the greatest movie, but not bad! The movie is pretty boring! All you hear is a guy screaming for help as he crawls through the forest!
½ December 4, 2011
Wrecked is a fuck-all B grade version of 127 Hours minus the pee drinking and amputation.
I hope this happens to you Shouri! You should drive straight into a sewage drain where all the shit pots lead and asphyxiate. Covered in shit you should crawl around, struggle for air and finally out victorious and give the audience your shitty smile. Avoid this film. Verdict - Brody can participate in a crawlathon if there's one.