45% The Other Woman Apr 25

48% Turn: Season 1
100% Veep: Season 3

Written on the Wind Reviews

February 23, 2014
Wow! As in wow. The plot of course is pure soapy melodrama: A love "rectangle" of sorts between two spoiled children of a very rich oil baron, their childhood friend and a woman caught in the middle. He loves her, she marries another, etc. You know the drill. But like with other Douglas Sirk melodramas, he elevates the material into pure cinematic artistry. Absolutely super performances from Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack and especially Dorothy Malone who was deliciously wicked althroughout but blew me away with that courtroom scene. Add to that the very expressive Technicolor cinematography by Russell Metty. It is truly an essential masterpiece. I can tell it very heavily influenced a lot of the '80s American primetime soaps.
lucy w.
January 27, 2014
Nobody does melodramas like Douglas Sirk. The vivid colors, the larger-than-life emotions and resolutions, the tormented characters... Dorothy Malone, in particular, is mesmerizing. A definitive 50's classic.
August 19, 2013
Another great film by Douglas Sirk. It is a tale about lost and how every single character has some experience of loss. Just when you think things will turn around for the better, the characters end up sabotaging themselves and causing further loss. All of the actor's do an amazing job of displaying a range of emotions.
rthornhill
April 28, 2010
my fourth sirk film and now i know what to look for that pleases me. the bold colors, the long shots, the images in the mirrors. malone definitely stands out with her wondeful performance............
June 4, 2013
Melodrama de 1956 dirigido por Douglas Sirk. Un magnate petrolero, Kile (Robert Stack) y su mejor amigo, Mitch (Rock Hudson), se enamoran de la misma mujer (Lauren Bacall). El primero, alcohólico irresponsable, parace que el matrimonio lo he hecho un hombre nuevo, pero al enterarse que no puede tener hijos vuelve a la bebida. La hermana de Kile (que es interpretada por Dorothy Malone) está enamorada de Mitch, quien siempre la ha visto como una hermana. Y en esta trama amorosa la fatalidad llega cuando Kile se entera de que Mitch siempre ha amado a su esposa. Dorothy Malone ganó un Óscar por mejor actriz secundaria.
June 1, 2013
Topping The Magnificent Ambersons as the best family drama that I ever gonna watch
John B

April 23, 2013
Another masterpiece by Sirk who always seems hide some subversive themes within all of his work. All of the actors rise to the occasion for the master director.
April 18, 2013
A true soap opera, but so good and much more adult than I expected. Hints of sexual perversion and incest, overt alcoholism and a fantastic color scheme (check out that pink hotel). Everybody in it is just soooooo attractive.
January 25, 2013
Awesome Douglas Sirk. Probably my favorite after All That Heaven Allows. Fairly simple story but told as beautifully and brilliantly as possible.
June 24, 2012
"Written in the Wind" might be a timeless classic to some, but I found it to be a dated melodrama. Robert Stack's over-the-top millionaire playboy was almost painful to watch, but not as painful as Lauren Bacall's eye rolling performance. The two are meant to be a contrast with Rock Hudson's Mitch Wayne and Dorothy Molone's Marylee, two people of more modest means who are targets of the rich sibling's troubled affections. A predicable, boring and morose tale, its not one I would watch again anytime soon.
November 21, 2012
If you thought Dallas with over the top thenDouglas Sirks 1956 melodrama really does have it all but like that other great studio director Nicholas Ray its what Sirks smuggles into the film that makes it interesting.

The film deals with the dysfunctional Hadleys oil barrons who wreak destruction and havoc and affect everyone around them.
Robert Stack plays Kyle Hadley a huge boozer who cant fulfill his wifes desires to have children and has a very homoerotic realtionship with his best friend Mitch played by Rock Hudson.
His Sister Marleee Hadley is a nymphomaniac who when spurned by Mitch goes into local sleazy dive bars and picks up undesirable men.

Their father Jasper is a sick man and has more respect for Mitch than the unrelaible and soused Kyle who's wife is played by Lauren Bacall

Sirk throws everything into the mix including Murder ,Blackmail Miscarriages and loads of phallic symbols with the use of Oil wells and pumps making the film a real soapy classic.
But Sirk is also challenging the homespun views of 50s Americana by having all the darkness at the heart of that dream and how the threat of total breakdown is never far away.

Its easy to see why directors ranging from Todd Haynes to Rainer Werner Fassbinder hold Sirks films in such high regard.

The performances stay the right side of camp and Stack plays the drunk Kyle for all he is worth.
Dorothy Malone plays the nympho role with huge relish and the whole film really is a precursor to the Dallas and Dynasty soaps of the 80S.
Top grade melodrama from a master of the art.
PoofyPuff1000
October 18, 2012
Yep, this has Sirk's fingerprints all over it.
October 14, 2012
Embora não tenha a mesma carga drmaática das obras-primas de Sirk, esse filme agrada pelo clima novelão e por todos os comentários nas entrelinhas típicos do diretor.
October 9, 2012
I get why people like Sirk, I do. But I don't. Emoting is not acting, Ms. Malone.
September 19, 2012
high drama as ONLY douglas sirk could do i love this pic
August 11, 2007
Yeah... a tad over-dramatic for my liking at times - that scene where Kyle is meant to be dreaming is one of many examples. Not short of a few corny lines either, "Pardon me if I seem to be brushing you out my hair", says a deadpan Lauren Bacall as she combs her locks *cringe*. And yet, somehow, it's still highly watchable. Go figure!
August 28, 2012
Extolls the virtues of sound stage productions. Strong melodramatic plot and acting with presence.
June 7, 2012
Upon watching "Written on the Wind" (or any of Douglas Sirk's other Hollywood works, such as "All That Heaven Allows" or "Imitation of Life"), it's not at all hard to see how his genre of specialty - boldly colourized melodramas of tycoons and socialites - quickly dissolved into the soup of TV soap operas that persist to this day. Not that Sirk is to blame. On the contrary, it is his elegant visual sensibilities and tactful way with actors that make such "women's weepies" (as they were so called) tolerable viewing. Of particular note in this picture is Dorothy Malone's scintillating performance as the evil temptress with a knack for spreading wicked ideas. Still, with the script as maudlin and bathetic as it is, Sirk's guiding hand can only make the best of a bad situation.