Box Office: "X-Men 3" Grossed $44.5M on Friday

According to Showbizdata.com, the latest installment of the "X-Men" franchise "X-Men: The Last Stand" grossed a staggering $44.5M on Friday. The worst reviewed of series, it's the best opening day performance for the lucrative franchise, easily passing the $32M made by the previous film "X2: X-Men United."

For single day grosses, it ranks third all time, behind the $50M by "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" and the $44.8M by "Shrek 2." Each of those films went on to finish their respective three-day weekend with $108M. With Monday a national holiday, the third and final installment of the "X-Men" series could finish the four-day weekend with $135-150M, a new industry record for the holiday session.

Here's the synopsis from the official site:

"In X-Men: The Last Stand, the final chapter in the "X-Men" motion picture trilogy, a "cure" for mutancy threatens to alter the course of history. For the first time, mutants have a choice: retain their uniqueness, though it isolates and alienates them, or give up their powers and become human. The opposing viewpoints of mutant leaders Charles Xavier, who preaches tolerance, and Magneto, who believes in the survival of the fittest, are put to the ultimate test ? triggering the war to end all wars."

(References: Showbizdata.com, BoxOfficeMojo.com, BoxOfficeGuru.com)

Comments

brs27

Beau Smith

[b]Good Job X-Men!![/b]
I hope Superman achieves the same success!!

May 27 - 10:15 AM

n_cruz69

Nestor Cruz

Wow, that was a lot more than i espected, it easily beat Da Vinci Code's Friday total of 30 million, which i thought was huge.

May 27 - 10:44 AM

gay4god

Bob Cool Guy

I hope X3 takes the title to shut up all the haters! Booyah bitches!

May 27 - 10:57 AM

ShasOfficial

Shas R

[b]WOW[/b]
This movie opened bigger than Harry Potter 4 back in November 2005, that's how huge it is. I think it has a very good chance of breaking the Spiderman opening record. Finally... If anyone had to get that title, I'm glad its Xmen, the movies have been fantastic. But you can bet Spiderman3 is gonna come back for the title if Xmen3 does break it. What a send-off for Xmen!!

May 27 - 11:08 AM

foolofatook

Cory C

... Wow.

May 27 - 12:32 PM

my nine inches

christian torres

[b]damn....[/b]
over 40 in one day thats increadible ......i think superman returns is gonna have the same success...... what a way to send off the franchise

May 27 - 12:36 PM

kishor197

Kishore Reddy

[b]No way Superman's gonna repeat this[/b]
X-men is a well established franchise... Superman is returning from a dead series... I hope it does'nt pull off another King Kong... which merely made back its budget (domestically) after the Hype and all...

X-Men: The Last Stand Rocks... I sure hope makes more than $130M this weekend

May 27 - 12:58 PM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Hell yea, lets see how long before number 4 shows up with this one making that much, and the Wolverine movie will definitely be put on the fast track now. I liked it, I did think that it was the worst of the three, but it was still good, one of the best films of the year so far. So all the Ratner haters can shut up, because he has proven them wrong, he did not ruin X-Men. Sure some of the charicters didn't get enough screen time, and I could have done with alot less of the charicters being killed off, but it was still a fun time at the movies. The most intense scene of the movie was definitely the one at Jean Grey's house. And the end blip after the end credits was interesting.

May 27 - 12:43 PM

kishor197

Kishore Reddy

[b]No way Superman's gonna repeat this[/b]

X-Men: The Last Stand Rocks... I sure hope makes more than $130M this weekend

May 27 - 12:58 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

Superman, at best I think, will have numbers similar to Batman Begins. After two dead entries to the series, and the fact that it's been about two decades since the last one, I just don't see how it can pull off a Spiderman-ish opening weekend number (at least in the N. American market). And I like Superman far more than Spiderman =/

I like X-Men more than Spiderman also so I'm pretty happy with this Friday number. I'm even more happy that theatre-goers/fanboys have been seemingly unfazed by bad critic reviews, which seem to imply that the only reason why the movie's bad is because the first two are good...

May 27 - 02:07 PM

Dr.Zoidberg

victor hristov

OMG i just realized depending on how X3 does at the box office overall ian mckellen could be the highest grossing at the box office
All 3 Lotrs and X3 thats like 1.5 billion possibly
sameul jackson is like 1.4 billion right?

May 27 - 02:07 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

That's true. The guy's a franchise whore :)

May 27 - 02:10 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

That's true. The guy's a franchise whore :)

May 27 - 02:10 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

Don't forget Orlando Bloom with his Pirates =/

May 27 - 02:19 PM

tyler8186

Tyler Peterson

So. Tell me how Ratner has proved us wrong?

I'm sick of idiots claiming that somehow a big boxoffice has proved their movie's worth.

The same thing happened after Da Vinci Code. It sucks, but it made alot opening weekend. So of course someone who liked it would post "TAKE THAT HATERS!"

i'm begining to hate the world.

May 27 - 02:22 PM

gay4god

Bob Cool Guy

The haters I'm talking about are the ones who were screaming about how Ratner needed to be strung up and about how X3 sucked when the movie HADNT EVEN COME OUT YET. It had nothing to do with the boxoffice validation, well I guess it kinda did. So yes "TAKE THAT HATERS!"
Oh and dont worry cause the world hates you too

May 28 - 05:43 PM

tyler8186

Tyler Peterson

by the way, how was the movie "a war to end all wars"?

SPOILER

didn't the last battle only have around 100 mutants vs some marginal army force?
war to end all wars?
i went into the movie with low expectations and was further dissapointed

May 27 - 02:26 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

In my opinion, the final battle scene is just that, a battle and not the war Neto always talked about.

May 27 - 02:42 PM

JoeMovieTack

Joe Russo

[b]I actually thought it was pretty entertaining[/b]
So this is good news to me!
You can read my user review here:

May 27 - 02:46 PM

loudharley

philip napier

I thought the movie was very entertaining and i loved the nonstop action and special effects.This movie is what summer blockbusters are suppose to be and im glad to see that its doing well.

May 27 - 03:17 PM

HoneycombSAFARI

Daniel James

a wolverine movie? he's nowhere near as interesting as some of the other characters. Now, i would pay to see a Mystique movie. She's got a whole lotta back story to her, especially her lesbian love affair and her son nightcrawler

May 27 - 04:40 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

I think it's because the first two X-Men films centered on him too much that a new movie solely about him kinda takes out the mystery, like how it might look like and such.

May 27 - 07:05 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

Nacho Libre will destroy all records and own all!

May 27 - 07:01 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

May 27 - 07:05 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships