"X-Men 3" Is Biggest Memorial Weekend Opener Ever

"X-Men: The Last Stand" grossed an estimated $107M over the Friday-Sunday weekend, becoming the biggest Memorial Weekend Opener of all time. It grossed $45.5M on Friday (one million more than what was previously reported), $32.5M on Saturday, and an estimated $29M on Sunday. Debuting in 3,690 sites, it has a three-day per theater average of $28,997.

X-Men's staggering debut handily beats the $72M by previous Memorial Weekend record-holder "The Lost World: Jurassic Park." Of all Friday-Sunday debuts, "X-Men: The Last Stand" ranks fourth best, behind "Spider-Man" ($114.8M), "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" ($108.4M), and Shrek 2 ($108M). Its $45.5M gross on Friday is also the second biggest single day gross ever, behind "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" ($50M).

With Monday a national holiday, "X-Men: The Last Stand" will likely finish the four-day weekend with $130-135M. It's easily the biggest opener of the year, thus far.

Comments

ozoz

Chris O'Bryant

[b]WOW![/b]
That is very good for a movie that people thought it will only make 40-50 million in the first weekend. Take that ratner haters. This is ratner 6 film that made over 100 million. Rush Hour 3 might be his 7 film later this year.

May 28 - 02:46 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

Yeah, never underestimate the power of easily entertained morons with too much money. Hope you people like your watered down, fake "X-Men". This opening should guarantee that you'll get more crap. Enjoy.

May 28 - 03:15 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

If it's more entertaining crap, then I'm game.

May 28 - 03:18 PM

ozoz

Chris O'Bryant

If this was crap, than bring more on. Crap is fun

May 28 - 03:36 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

Darn fecalpheliacs.

May 28 - 03:42 PM

Ssillississ

Steve Mast

I haven't seen it yet but I plan on doing so soon, but if you are going to call this "fake crap" then you better back it up with some reasons why you think so or else you may get dubbed a troll. What, exactly, do you not like?

Did you even see it? Doubtful.

May 28 - 06:36 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Dont talk about fake X-Men unless you talk about "SInger the hack's" X-Men.

May 29 - 11:21 AM

my nine inches

christian torres

[b]your wrong[/b]
ratner has only made 7 films that anyone would have heard of......money talks only made 40,922,619. red dragon made 93,149,898. and the family man only made 75,793,305. and after the sunset only made 28,331,233. so right there u see that ur wrong this would only be ratners 3rd movie surpassing 100millon rushour 3 would be his 4th

May 28 - 10:02 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

May 28 - 03:15 PM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

If it's more entertaining crap, then I'm game.

May 28 - 03:18 PM

ozoz

Chris O'Bryant

If this was crap, than bring more on. Crap is fun

May 28 - 03:36 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

Darn fecalpheliacs.

May 28 - 03:42 PM

Ssillississ

Steve Mast

Did you even see it? Doubtful.

May 28 - 06:36 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Dont talk about fake X-Men unless you talk about "SInger the hack's" X-Men.

May 29 - 11:21 AM

darcko

Derick Qwerty

If it's more entertaining crap, then I'm game.

May 28 - 03:18 PM

Silver Snake

Leon Soma

Darn fecalpheliacs.

May 28 - 03:42 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

I am so happy that this film has biggest opening ever. I bet those brett ratner haters are mad. They thought this film would only make 40 million. Look at it now. For the fanboys who thought this film was crap. If this is crap, we need more of it. Crap rocks.

May 28 - 03:42 PM

Elixir

Birdy Man

crap is fun, isn't? you like it on your face? usually crap stinks after a while.

hey dont take my word for it. give this a week and this pile of crap will smell even worse.

morons.

May 28 - 04:05 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

People said the same thing about the Da vinci code. It is still doing good. Peopel are just made because this film is doing better than singer did. Get the pole out off your ass. This was a fun film. This is what a summer blockbuster is. This film is not doing good because of X2. If he was the case than why did LOTR or Harry potter get numbers like this on a single day. Answer that FANBOYS.

May 28 - 04:43 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Of course you have to take the inflation of ticket price into thought, tickets prices weren't so expensive when Jurassic Park III came out, so sure if you keep raising the ticket prices films are going to beat old records, doesn't really mean much to me, or mean a lot more people are seeing this film.

May 28 - 04:10 PM

Zen Bullet

J D

I thought X-Men 1 was a bit hokey, but still fun and well-made.

X2 was great.

X3's opening weekend only serves to compliment the greatness that was X2.

But the visual effects were good though.

Funny, I used to ENJOY Ratner's films!

May 28 - 04:24 PM

mpower88

Miklos Power

Zen Bullet: "Personally I thought X3 sucked and will become a permanent fixture in the land where sequels don't exist . . . along with Alien 3, 4, and AVP . . . and most of what constitutes the Star Wars prequels.

X3 had illogical character turns, bad dialogue, ho-hum action, an embarassing over-use of it's bombastic score overlaying scenes that didn't need it, bad B-style melodrama, and some of the worst camera shot compositions I've ever seen in a big-budget film(here's an intense scene . . . so let's shoot it side-view, standing height!)."

: AMEN TO THAT

May 29 - 05:29 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

May 28 - 04:43 PM

ShasOfficial

Shas R

[b]It has nothing to do with Ratner[/b]
People don't care who directed this film. Its the last in the much loved franchise and people want to see their favourite comic books heroes on the big screen. And also i agree with Zen Bullet, X2 was a big part in making X3 is the success it is. I would've loved for it to take the opening weekend record, but $107 mil is enof to satisfy me.

May 28 - 04:45 PM

AgeOfApathy

Carlos Garcia

[b]Whatever[/b]
I liked this movie for what it was, a COMIC-BOOK movie. Anyone who is complaining about the cheesy dialogue (except for the ouch line 'cacoon' that Stewart just HAD to say) remember that the dialogue in comics can be easily worse (don't go bitch at me about comic-dialogue please). It was fun, the action was top-notch, the direction was a bit shaky and the acting could have been better, but seriously, it was more fun than not. The Phoenix basically made the movie for me, so be happy that now it has made enough to constitute the Wolverine origin movie. I hope they use the Origin comic story-line *fingers crossed*

May 28 - 04:54 PM

freekwithstile

Josh Snyder

the problem with saying that it's OK for it to be cheesy because it's a "comic book movie" is that fans of comics have been, for years and years, trying to get people to see comics as a legitimate art form that is to be taken seriously. to say "oh it's OK that the dialouge sucked because it's based off a comic" pretty much says that you think comics are crap that only kids read. which we all know isn't true.

face it, the movie was horrible. i loved the first two but this one was just baaaaad.

May 29 - 02:02 AM

supermanofsteel

Fgear hrsert

I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!

May 29 - 03:32 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Again you nerds are thinking your OPINION IS FACT, GROW UP.

May 29 - 11:30 AM

supermanofsteel

Fgear hrsert

How in the hell does that mean we think our opinion is fact?!

May 29 - 02:04 PM

Flim Springfield

Robb P

What will they do for the next movie's posters? Add Wolverine's other hand for the fourth claw??

May 28 - 05:22 PM

AgeOfApathy

Carlos Garcia

[b]I can see it now[/b]
Wolvie will be sticking it to the man and using the first hand to show all three claws, and only the middle claw from the other hand as a "f**k you we made four of 'em"

May 28 - 07:10 PM

Wordsmyth

Richard Villiers

You totally stole my words. :-P

May 29 - 06:11 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

im a living proof, I saw X3 so eagerly because X2 blowed my mind. I wasnt a big fan of x men or of comic book hero movies, but thanks to X2, i was eager to see this even if i knew it had an inferior director. The movie s just watchable but lame, way better than fantastic four, four example, but a horrible piece in the x men trilogy...

May 28 - 05:47 PM

Ssillississ

Steve Mast

Did you even see it? Doubtful.

May 28 - 06:36 PM

South_park300

First Last

i swear, reading some people's complaints about this film, it's as if they haven't even SEEN it.

i'm happy it's making a lot of money, and i hope it continues to do so...and yeah, of COURSE it won't make as much next weekend. movies rarely gain in the second week, no matter what it is.

whiners need to shut up and move on to movies that DESERVE whining. Fast and the Furious 3?

May 28 - 06:37 PM

ozoz

Chris O'Bryant

Well said

May 28 - 06:38 PM

ozoz

Chris O'Bryant

Well said

May 28 - 06:38 PM

suzakucarl

Jason Cue

[b]X-Men 3 ROCKS!!! The BEST!!!! The BOMB!!! The GOD![/b]
Great Job X-men 3!!!! Yay!! I knew you could do it!! You really deserve it!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Keep up the good work!! =)

May 28 - 06:42 PM

AgeOfApathy

Carlos Garcia

[b]I can see it now[/b]

May 28 - 07:10 PM

Wordsmyth

Richard Villiers

You totally stole my words. :-P

May 29 - 06:11 AM

CavA

First Last

You gotta admit that the dialogue in the movie was on par with medicore videogame dialogue. I really wonder if they added the music in the background using shuffle on their music player because it never seemed to mesh with what was happening visually.

Though I liked the movie... It seems that a lot of all these movie critics watch movies to get some sort of life changing message. People will convince themselves that a movie was bad just because it doesnt meet the pretentious guidlines that "make a good movie" -- people just need to sit down, let go and watch the f%cking movie

May 28 - 08:20 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank