X2: X-Men United - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X2: X-Men United Reviews

½ July 3, 2007
The best X-Men movie to date, X-2 set the bar for comic book movies when it was released and featured an improved blend of science fiction and political thriller that started with the first. Expanding the roster and featuring big name actors with solid performances, X-2 was bigger and bolder than its predecessor and better in every way.
October 20, 2006
X2: X-Men United not only improves on its predecessor in every way, it creates a stunning universe populated with incredible characters. Everything I loved about the original is here while its missteps have been corrected. This is truly a great film and one of the best sequels in recent memory. It begins with an incredible effects display as Nightcrawler takes out a whole security team. Then it builds on its story, tying in Wolverine's past with a psychotic military general set to eradicate mutants off the planet with an ingenious and diabolical scheme.
The action has been kicked up a few notches, complete with plane chases, sieges, and a Wolvering vs Lady Deathstrike fight that is just outstanding. With so many characters to follow it would have been easy to stumble with development. But every character has his or her own conflict to deal with, and it is resolved by the end. The film juggles its side plots incredibly well, even giving the villain a moment for us to sympathize. Expertly crafted to a fault, X2 is the X-Men franchise at its peak, in hopes that future installments will continue to amaze me the way this one has.
½ August 25, 2007
So Toad and Sabretooth are dead and buried then it seems, guess they weren't that popular huh. Not surprising seeing as they were the worse characters from the last film. So after the unexpected smash of the original film we got this sequel adding more characters, more effects and a bit more much needed action.

Moving on from the first film we discover now that Magneto has been tortured into giving up vital information about Xavier's school for mutants by the nasty new bad guy William Stryker. Stryker and his team capture Xavier and plan to create another Cerebro so they can brainwash Xavier into wiping out all the mutants of the world with his mental powers. Now is the time...the X-Men and Magneto's naughty mutants must join forces to save all mutant kind.

Everything kicks off nicely with the cool introduction of new character Nightcrawler, who is performed with a likeable heartfelt sincere persona by Alan Cumming. Its a good start to the film because not only do we get a slick sexy 'Matrix' style ass-kicking sequence courtesy of the Crawler, but this guy looks good, he's accurate to the source material and simply feels very fresh and original especially with that German accent. The one thing I don't get about this guy is the fact he can only teleport when he can see where's he's teleporting too. Surely when you teleport to anywhere you can't see where your going right? so what difference does it make?

This film clearly tries for the 'Empire' tone by making everything quite dark with lots of pending doom and gloom. As we all know the film also ends on a downer with major character Jean Grey kicking the bucket, new boy Pyro switching to the dark side and Wolverine discovering some of his bleak past plus having to fight another similar mutant. In general the whole team are feeling like shit come the end of the day plus they no longer appear to be safe in their 'Wayne Manor-esque' home.

But not only this we also get a much more violent film than the safe fast cut first flick. When Styker's men storm Xavier's mutant school armed to the teeth with automatic weapons we see Wolverine tear into some real hack n slash action as he rampages through the building slicing n dicing soldiers left right and centre (finally!). We also see a hint of mutant power from some younger students at the same time. Of course there is no blood or guts anywhere in the film but we do see Wolverine piling into bad guys impaling them pretty good with no cuts. This sequence to me shows another possible Nazi angle again as a community of 'different' people are invaded, rounded up and taken away from their home by armed soldiers, not even women and children are left.

I liked how the story develops Pyro Iceman and Rogue together as they come to terms with their powers plus adolescence. The scene where Iceman outs himself to his parents is a cute scene with very real message which some folk will relate to. Some nice little touches of humour admittedly but its all very tame and easy going. The fact Iceman is obviously the good guy and Pyro is obviously the quick tempered bad guy feels a bit too simple, amazed one isn't wearing blue and the other red whilst fighting over Rogue. I didn't really like the inclusion of Lady Deathstrike though, she felt unnecessary and merely there just for a showdown with Wolverine at the end...which she ultimately was as she did nothing else the entire time. She's in and out quick, a sidekick that's killed off neatly, only there for the visuals and adding to the character roster. The fight was also completely lacking in any excitement because we know neither of these characters can be hurt, this being a problem with these films at times, invincible people fighting each other.

Although I must admit I liked the concept of Stryker using his mutant son to control other mutants with a serum from his brain and the fact he induces Xavier into almost killing off everyone. OK sure the fact they managed to built another Cerebro seemed far fetched as I thought that was a special contraption that only Xavier and Magneto could devise but none the less it worked.

I don't deny the film is dark but maybe it tries a little too hard? I'm not trying to nit pick but it does feel a bit forced especially when Grey didn't really have to die as far as I can tell. The jet wouldn't start due to a malfunction, so Grey goes outside and protects the jet from the tidal wave of water whilst using her powers to start up the jet. Why didn't she just start the jet up from inside or am I missing something here? I think I am missing something aren't I...??? Anyway it kinda felt odd that she dies in this way as if to try and create this iconic emotional death which I didn't really feel, it just seemed like a daft waste (and to kick start the Phoenix plot).

Everything does feel a bit clockwork to be honest, there aren't any major surprises really (you can see things a mile off) but none the less it does hold your attention to the end. The visuals are on the whole much smoother and glossier than the first film, the actors are really getting into their respective roles, multiple characters are handled well by Singer and the film is also a highly positive encouraging shout out for gay people, teens, underachievers, outcasts, bullied people and any minorities on the whole. Although I still don't get how that highly advanced metal detector that scanned everything on and in the human body didn't pick up all that iron in the guards bloodstream, oh well.
Nikhil N.
½ June 11, 2011
More super heroes. More action. More ambitious. More fun.
January 11, 2010
This movie triumphs as a great superhero film! Definately the best of this young franchise. There is absolutely no room for improvement. Just keep the pace the same, and you have a great franchise. Even though it will be hard to keep up to this level of excitement and storytelling, I will always love the X-Men films for what they are, because they, after seeing the first two instalments, have definitely learned what makes an amazing superhero action flick. With great acting, loveable characters, a much more enhanced believable plot, and scenes that will have your jaw drop, I find this film to be near-perfect on every level, surpassing the original by a mile, as far as superhero films go that is.
garyX
½ November 5, 2006
Wolverine returns from a failed attempt to discover his origins to find the X-Men under siege from a shadowy organisation bent on the extermination of mutantkind. As a long time fan of the comic books, the original X-Men film was a disappointment. Its superficial realisation of the characters and their relationships and an all but absent plot was wholly unsatisfactory, but what it succeeded in doing was laying the groundwork for a sequel that could take the ideas presented and run with them to glorious effect; and that's exactly what Bryan Singer did with X2. Wolverine, who was always by far the most intriguing character, rightfully takes centre stage and his exploration of his past seen here is far more interesting (and accurate) than his own cinematic vehicle X-Men Origins: Wolverine that came 7 years later. The sophisticated, multi-layered plot beautifully ties together many threads and disparate characters to perfectly capture the best themes of the books, namely prejudice, divided loyalties and moral ambiguities and each character is given just enough room to shine. The action sequences are also a huge improvement; the opening sequence features more thrills than the entire first films combined and every set piece is a perfectly pitched combination of excitement, plot development and characterisation; the assault on the mansion and Magneto's escape being the pick of a brilliant bunch. X2 pre-dates Batman Begins by 2 full years and at the time was easily the most "adult" superhero film around and contains the formula of the intelligent blockbuster that Nolan would go on to perfect. If only Brett Ratner hadn't fumbled the ball so badly for the third instalment, I suspect that this film would be rightfully recognised as the coming of age of Marvel Studios and the beginning of the Renaissance of the superhero genre.
½ May 6, 2013
Bryan Singer's sequel to the mutant-based saga is more in-depth and captivating than its predecessors. The film does well in blending in the excessive star-power in its cast while also developing a well-articulate plot. Its action sequences as well as its emotional sequences delivers to keep the audiences in wonder and awe. 4.5/5
Mark Beckford
½ July 13, 2012
The X-Men series is a goldmine for superhero writers. Just think of an ability and you have a potential mutant. Add the racism analogy and you have cool super-heroes with a message AND a cause to fight for.

X2 brings all of this together in a story so packed with action, in a script so easy to follow, it is a really enjoyable flick.

Unfortunately, at over two hours, it gets a bit tedious as you squirm in your seat for the climax.

And each of the movies seems to need a scene where the parents are unrealistically distant and horrified by their "mutant" kid. How many parents have kids with disabilities, but love and care for them regardless of their condition? If that "disability" is a super-power, wouldn't that make them love that kid even more?

If you are watching X2 again, or even for the first time (after seeing X-Men: First Class), you'll find the Magneto scenes even more enjoyable.
½ July 14, 2012

thmtsang
½ August 4, 2007
X-men have a new enemy. They use their extraordinary powers to defeat their enemy who experiments on mutants.
July 31, 2011
The ball keeps rolling after the first X-Men, with arguably an even better plot.
½ June 12, 2006
The sequel to the huge surprise hit X-Men blew a lot of dust off the original film's surface, decided to remain a character-driven drama but allowed itself to have a lot more fun with mutant powers and action. The result is probably still the best superhero film to date. Fantastic effects, a stellar cast, a smart story that's taking a lot of actual problems and transfers them into the Marvelverse: this is all around enjoyable, exciting, spectacular.
½ June 11, 2011
At 133 min., director Bryan Singer delivers a more epic and memorable X-men film. With a darker and more focused script, X2 surpasses the first film in every imaginable way. The story is not as Wolverine-centered as the first film. This time around, every character gets their fair share of screen time and development. The film has a more interesting plot too which involves the X-men and the Brotherhood of Mutants being forced to team up to combat a greater threat. There are many plot threads that go through this film but they are so flawlessly balanced that the story never feels disjointed or overly-complicated. Everybody in the film gives top notch performances. The action and visuals far exceed the previous film. The action scenes are bigger and more intense. X2 not only manages to be better than the first film, it easily stands on its own as one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
DreamExtractor
April 4, 2011
I truly loved this superhero action packed movie. Hugh Jackman is great again as Wolverine. I loved the plot and everything, but it kind of drags on for a while there and the ending is a real dissapointment, but still an amzing superhero movie.
½ May 17, 2011
Overall, great stuff. An improvement on the original both in themes and action. There was also sufficient character development to keep us from drowning in the adrenaline, the only real grind I had was Lady Deathstrike being a characterless villain-drone
TheDudeLebowski65
April 29, 2011
X2: X-Men United is one of a handful of films that actually surpasses its predecessor. Only a few films in history have had better sequels. But in super hero films, that list is pretty short, in fact I'd say it only contains two films, this one and The Dark Knight. X2 is my favorite X Men film and it surpasses the first one by a long shot. The first entry was small in the sense that the story wasn't quite fully developed and the characters were fairly one dimensional. I'm not saying the the first one was bad, not at all, but I am saying that things were missing from the film. X2 is a more confident film than the first and director Bryan Singer goes all out with all guns blazing and crafts a film that is truly a masterwork of the superhero genre. At the time of its release this was basically what The Dark Knight was to Batman Begins, and it still is. X2 remains a masterpiece of the genre even after the release of The Dark Knight. X2 has one of the best opening scenes for a superhero film, and it sets the tone of the film. The first 10 minutes are absolutely unforgettable and is probably one of the thrilling ever put on film. The story is solid and the acting is terrific. In this second entry everything is bigger and better than the first film. X2 Succeeds in delivering a high octane and thrilling action packed film, and it's one of the best of the superhero genre. X2: X-Men United is one epic ride that fans of the first won't easily forget.
TomBowler
½ July 31, 2009
better than 3
May 14, 2007
The X-men got bigger and better this time around. We got a closer look into Xavier's school and Nightcrawler was the most new exciting addition to the team. It had an epic feel to it and I could never get enough of it. Again, the Wolverine and Jean plot line was kinda skewed for me.
jamers2011
August 3, 2010
A great addition to the X-Men series. I love that this film stays true to the original, but still maintains a unique identity as well. With many new characters, a great story, intensity and emotion, and great action, this film really adds to the series. Not as good as the first, but a great film nonetheless.