Scully Chimes In On "X-Files" Sequel

It's been about a decade since "The X-Files" jumped from the small to the silver screen, and we've heard little rumblings about a sequel ever since then. After David Duchovny let slip last weekend about another big-screen installment underway, there's more chatter to solidify the rumors.

Apparently the big hurdle was a lawsuit between "X-Files" creator Chris Carter and Fox, but it seems that the litigation is now finished with, and that several involved parties are now hot to get a new movie movin'.

Last weekend we reported Duchovny's own rumblings on the sequel, and now it appears he was dead on about Carter and Co. talking business to get the project rolling. He also mentioned that production may be sped up to avoid a fast approaching 2008 strike.

While discussing a new movie called "Straightheads" with Empire Magazine, "X-Files: Fight the Future" star Gillian Anderson admitted that nothing has been signed just yet, but also that she suspects a sequel might soon become a reality. "They?re starting to talk about doing a feature again ... Every year or two they talk about it again, but it seems like it might be for real this time. Somehow it seems like somebody?s really serious about it. I know that Chris? lawsuit with Fox is over, so maybe now it can be done."

The fanboy-fave redhead also opined that a new Mulder & Scully adventure might forgo the established series mythology in favor of a "stand-alone" horror story -- which would make this semi-fan a lot more excited to see the sequel.

Source: Empire, Rotten Tomatoes

Comments

Gareth

Gareth von Kallenbach

Seems those rumors of Gillian being replaced were an April Fools gag, thank goodness.

Apr 3 - 07:41 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

I know Gillian is a little wacky in real life, but I sure do like her as Scully. One of my all-time favorite TV shows. I thought the first X-files movie was entertaining so I would certainly support a sequel...

Apr 3 - 08:14 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

I would also prefer to see a stand-alone story rather then them delving further into the show's conspiracies. The problem I had with the movie was it answered in two-hours what the show's writers had spent seven years building up. It all seemed very contrived and very laughable to someone who did not follow the series.

It was still a good film overrall though because of the excellent, already established chemistry between Mulder and Scully (and I'm not talking about the stupid "will they-wont they" moments they threw in there), but the strong bond of friendship the two characters had, even if the real-life actors secretly hated eachother

Apr 3 - 08:18 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

They really didn't spend two hours answering all that much. There were big revelations, but I was actually disappointed that they left so much unanswered when I left the movie.

Apr 4 - 06:12 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

But if they had answered everything, you STILL would have been disappointed. Why is it that people want ALL the answeres in shows like this? Use your imagination a little bit.

Apr 4 - 07:39 AM

smjeffries1959

Steve Jeffries

This would add new life into a long dead series and maybe make-up for the shortcomings of the first movie? It would be good to see Gillian again.

Apr 3 - 08:27 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Apr 4 - 06:12 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Apr 4 - 07:39 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

Apr 4 - 07:39 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday