Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters

Summary

This week's Ketchup covers a slow movie development news week as Hollywood collectively prepared for the long Memorial Day weekend to come. Included in the mix are new roles for two of the stars of Game of Thrones, sequel news for Red 3, and a new role for one of the stars of that franchise, Morgan Freeman. All that and a remake of Timecop. Back to Article

Comments

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Quicksilver is Magneto's son so I guess he works better in an X-Men movie. Either way, this was a dick move by Fox. They shoehorned the character in the movie just right after Joss Whedon confirmed him for The Avengers 2. Hell, they added the character while the film is still in principal photography. I bet Quicksilver wasn't even in the original script! I would have liked to see a Mutant in The Avengers 2. If we don't get to see him in Avengers 2, I wouldn't mind. Man, Fox can be such jerks when it comes to Marvel properties. I wish Marvel can just get the rights back. I hope Fox and Disney/Marvel can work something out. Despite this, I'm looking forward to X-Men: Days of Future Past. I'm a little worried about the amount of characters in this movie.

May 24 - 03:02 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I would be in favour of using two different Quicksilvers... if that is possible. (I don't know much about the character)

May 24 - 03:32 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Well, Marvel has been talking about doing "The Inhumans" as a movie at some point (actually the slot that went to Guardians of the Galaxy almost went to The Inhumans). And Quicksilver eventually marries Crystal of the Inhumans. So, it's possible that he was being introduced in The Avengers 2 to set up a future Inhumans movie. Other than that... it's his sister Scarlet Witch that is the more important Avengers member. But as to whether Quicksilver is more of a mutant, or more of an Avenger... despite who his father was, he was definitely more of an Avenger. He, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye (who all joined at the same time) were Avengers #7, #8, and #9 (after Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Captain America).

May 24 - 05:50 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Quicksilver in the Avengers 2? Why are they even making Avengers 2? Iron Man 3 practically killed off Iron Man.

May 25 - 06:48 PM

Obvious troll is obvious

May 25 - 10:50 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Not trolling dumbass. Iron Man is what made The Avengers and since RDJ is gonna quit in 1-2 years, he's not gonna be in an Iron Man suit.

May 26 - 08:31 AM

Bigbrother .

Obvious troll is obviously defensive.

May 26 - 05:01 PM

Bigbrother .

Yes, why would they make two movie's whose predecessor's made 3 Billion dollars between them and were all positively critically reviewed. Obvious troll is obviously stupid except he's obviously just trolling like always

May 26 - 05:04 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Why make a movie without Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man? He's the mula-maker. What will they do? Kill Iron Man? Make it a dark film? RDJ confirmed he is done with Iron Man when he turns 50. How old is he? 49. Plus, many people hated Avengers, just ask a non fanboy.

May 26 - 11:53 PM

Bigbrother .

Obvious troll is now trying to justify his obvious trollishness. Downey has not said he is quitting Iron Man or Avengers. He's said he's in negotiations for further deals which means he's not in or out, but if you'd like to place bets on whether an actor is going to turn down a surefire 50 million dollar payday I'll be more than happy to cover that action every time. Plus only 8% of critics disliked Avengers, it was the 3rd highest grossing film of all time and a whopping 4% of it's audience said they disliked it. Those numbers just scream wildly unpopular and not worth a sequel, just ask a non-trollboy.

May 27 - 01:59 AM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

I'm talking about people. Not everyone knows what RT is, you know.

May 27 - 12:52 PM

Bigbrother .

What exactly do you think those numbers represent Troll-meister? Critics are people, people who visit RT are people or do you think an army of ATM's just walked up to their local AMC theater and donated 1.5 billion dollars to The Avengers. Because I don't think anyone is that stupid, I call you obvious troll.

May 27 - 05:28 PM

Brian Tipton

Brian Tipton

Could you be any stupider?

May 26 - 01:14 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

No Iron Suit, No RDJ. We don't watch these movies to see them talk. I predict a 65% RT for Avengers 2 due to the fact of how shitty sequels, except for Spiderman and Batman, are.

May 26 - 01:42 PM

Bao Nguyen

Bao Nguyen

You do realize RDJ is doing Avengers 2 and Avengers 2 is filiming in several months right? They'll be done filming a year before release.

May 26 - 01:26 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

What about Avengers 3?

May 26 - 01:40 PM

Bigbrother .

What about Avengers 36 when all the current actors are dead from old age, what will we do then? OMG!!!!

May 26 - 05:11 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

They're probably working on Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy right now, so Avengers 2 is gonna come a little later.

May 26 - 05:21 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Come on now man, why make "Avengers 2", that's the stupidest thing I've heard. You really don't think 'Stark' has more suits at his disposal, plus he's a genius who can make more suits at will. And what about "Avengers 3", I would think it would be released in May 2018 if I we're to guess.

May 27 - 12:12 AM

Rafael Furtado

Rafael Furtado

They could use Speed and Wiccan.

May 27 - 12:51 AM

Julia Turner

Julia Turner

just as Edward responded I am alarmed that some one can get paid $9048 in 1 month on the internet. did you see this site link... www.Rush60.c?m

May 29 - 02:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Hop Frog" is one of my very favorite Poe stories, and Dinklage is perfect for it, but I was wholly unimpressed with "Penelope". Where's Burton when you need him?

The Coppola news is really, truly the top story of the week. (And, btw, he did top those earlier accomplishments, when he was 40 - do the math). I'm a longtime fan of Don Cop, and I enjoy even his disappointments like "One From the Heart". (Don't bring up "Jack"; that was a contractual obligation) One of our finest filmmakers back at work.

Thank god we're finally cleaning up the drug addicts out of our nation's fraternities and la crosse teams. 'Cause Efron totally doesn't look like a useless douche tool at all. I'm sure he'll opt for some locker room fan service though. I'd pay 15 bucks to see Ray Liotta work him over in 3D. Just saying, Hollywood.

May 24 - 03:28 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

May 24 - 03:32 PM

May 24 - 05:50 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Coppola . . . its a mixed bag; he does Godfather later he does The Conversation and then Apocalypse Now!
he does Outsiders then he does Rumble Fish
He does The Cotton Club then he does Godfather III then he does Dracula

The films range from great to confusing to mediocre
SPECIAL REPORT:
Women Snubbed on Rotten Tomatoes.
Study: Women Movie Critics Fewer Than 20% on Rotten Tomatoes
A study on gender and movie critics finds that female critics account for less than 20 percent of top film reviews on Rotten Tomatoes this spring
Published: May 23, 2013 @ 11:01 pm
The age of the Internet has not been kind to female movie critics.
According to a new study titled "Gender @ the Movies" obtained by TheWrap ahead of its Friday release, film criticism has become even more male-dominated in the age of online news than it was six years ago.
Also read: Rex Reed Ripped for Calling Melissa McCarthy 'Tractor-Sized' and 'Hippo' in Review [4]
The study tracked review activity by top Rotten Tomatoes critics this spring and found that top male critics wrote 82% of film reviews featured on the aggregator site during a two-month period, with top female critics accounting for less than 20%. By comparison, men wrote 70% of reviews for the top 100 U.S. daily newspapers in 2007.
?Film critics appear to have become less, not more gender diverse over the last six years,? Martha Lauzen, executive director of the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film, wrote in a report accompanying the findings.
And that, she added, means that films with male directors and writers get greater exposure to their work.
The ratio improved but only barely when considering the actual number of men and women writing reviews today. The center, based at San Diego State U., found that 78% of the top critics this spring were male and 22% female.
Also read: Academy Defends Seth MacFarlane Despite Charges of Sexism [5]
The center decided to examine the relationship between gender, film critics and movie reviews after veteran critic Rex Reed attacked [6] Melissa McCarthy's appearance in "Identity Thief," and an upstate New York newspaper editor ordered a critic to avoid reviewing films with strong female characters.
There were 145 writers designated as top critics on Rotten Tomatoes during the study period. The site designates writers as top critics based on the size of their outlet and length of time practicing their craft; Reed, who writes for the New York Observer, qualifies as a top critic on Rotten Tomatoes, as does chief Wrap critic Alonso Duralde.
The ratio was even worse at entertainment magazines and websites such as Entertainment Weekly, which tilted 91% to men and 80% men at general interest magazines and sites. The picture was slightly brighter for women reviewing films at newspaper sites (28% female) and radio (30% female).
Also read: Sexist Hollywood?: Women Still Struggle to Find Film Jobs, Study Finds [7]
The center also analyzed the more than 2,000 reviews to determine whether film critics tend to gravitate toward movies written or directed by their sex and if their reviews are biased in favor of those sharing their gender.
It found that there is some truth to the perception that female critics gravitate toward movies written or directed by women and vice versa.
But it did not find evidence of gender bias toward filmmakers in the reviews themselves.
According to the report, ?neither male nor female critics award substantially higher ratings to films directed and/or written by those of their same sex.?
The bottom line? ?Popular film criticism remains a predominantly male activity,? Lauzen writes.
The study was to be released on Friday.

May 24 - 03:35 PM

Matt Ritchey

Matt Ritchey

I would love it if Timecop was retro and had it still take place in the "distant future of 2004."

May 24 - 04:59 PM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

Far cry 3: Blood Dragon?

May 24 - 07:50 PM

Rafael Furtado

Rafael Furtado

I loved the design of BD. It is a cool idea

May 27 - 12:47 AM

Bigbrother .

Sooooo, I'm as big a Peter Dinklage fan as anyone, but I have a tough time figuring out how his inclusion alone trumps Francis Ford Coppola, or a Diane Keaton/Morgan Freeman collaboration.

May 24 - 05:49 PM

Bazooka Jew

I agree. I would think Coppola becoming relevant again would make top headlines.

May 24 - 11:43 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

It's a new Coppola movie. We don't know it will make him relevant again. Note that Paramount is not (yet) backing the movie.

May 25 - 12:47 AM

Bazooka Jew

I must have missed that part at the end.

May 25 - 02:19 PM

May 24 - 05:50 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

While I like where the X Men series is going, I think that including Quicksilver was a mistake. It sounds like Fox was panicked over losing the character to the Marvel Universe and just decided to stick him in Days of Future Past. I'll bet that he only appears in like 2 minutes of the movie.

May 24 - 07:17 PM

Bigbrother .

As I understand it they both have legal claim to him that won't be effected by his inclusion in either movie.

May 24 - 08:51 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Yeah, but the public perception of him would get confused. If he showed up in X Men and then Avengers, with completely different actors and backgrounds, I'm sure it would confuse some of the audience.

May 25 - 08:22 PM

Bigbrother .

Could be beneficial though at least for The Avengers, they wouldn't have to explain his origin story which as a mutant isn't the best anyway. That could be valuable screen time put to better use in a crowded ensemble piece.

May 25 - 09:01 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Here's a link I would have included (if it had happened before Friday afternoon): http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/dear-bryan-singer-quicksilver-avenger-not-x-men-sincerely-joss-whedon-video

May 25 - 11:17 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Can someone please hire more RT staff to search for news that doesn't send me directly to Yawnville? 3 or 4 weeks of crap Ketchup in a row. Must be a new RT record.

May 24 - 07:47 PM

Not a Coppola fan, huh?

May 24 - 11:41 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Nope; regardless of his great films.

May 25 - 12:28 AM

Brian Tipton

Brian Tipton

It's hard to call myself a fan of anyone's work that I detest 90% of. Godfathers notwithstanding.

May 26 - 01:16 PM

Bigbrother .

Apocalypse Now? Dracula? The Rainmaker? The Outsiders? I even have a soft spot for Tucker and Peggy Sue. Point I'm making I guess is Coppola is so much more than just The Godfather movies.

May 28 - 02:02 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

May 25 - 08:22 PM

May 25 - 09:01 PM

are doubleyou

Ken S

T: Considering that comic films are rebooting within a decade, Chris Evans plays both the Human Torch and Captain America and Hollywood seems to like making two of everything these days, I see no reason for Whedon to change his plans unless legal departments butt heads. Unless he pusses out of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's incestuous relationship. I want more Game of Thrones in my blockbusters.

1: Speaking of which... Poe + Dinklage? That should be awfully hard to screw up badly enough that I won't want to see it.

Side note: Weak week? Seriously? Richard Linklater just announced a spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused and you think this week was "weak"? I can't imagine how that fell of your radar. Dazed and Confused is a great movie and that is some of the best news I could imagine.

2: Eerie, I just finished watching The Conversation for the first time. Great film, but he hasn't made a film I love in over 30 years. I'm not optimistic that "returning to his roots" will bring his game back.

3: A great true story, but wikipedia says that the Patricia Riggen directed a Disney Channel original movie called "Lemonade Mouth" and her only feature has 27% here.

4: I haven't seen Red, but am tired of sequels in general. As for UNCLE, I'm not familiar with the source material, but thought of not seeing Tom Cruise's smug mug in yet another spy movie is a happy one.

5: At least it isn't the millionth straight adaptation of R&J. It's also always great to see Game of Thrones actors getting more work.

6: Even Morgan Freeman cannot stop the words "heartwarming comedy" from turning my veins to ice.

3: It sounds like the screenwriters watched Point Break and Top Gun in an afternoon. Ugh...

2: Is Efron attempting to play the most hated college student since Greg Marmalard? Modern college kids live on beer, weed and adderall. Nobody likes a narc in college.

1: They are going to need to call in Tony Jaa for anyone to want this without Jean-Claude.

May 24 - 09:54 PM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Linklater has been talking about that D&C sort-of-sequel for a few years... here's a link from 2010: http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/06/richard-linklater-says-dazed-confused.html

May 24 - 10:50 PM

May 24 - 10:50 PM

Not a Coppola fan, huh?

May 24 - 11:41 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Nope; regardless of his great films.

May 25 - 12:28 AM

Brian Tipton

Brian Tipton

May 26 - 01:16 PM

May 28 - 02:02 AM

May 24 - 11:43 PM

May 25 - 12:47 AM

Bazooka Jew

I must have missed that part at the end.

May 25 - 02:19 PM

Bazooka Jew

I was wondering when the Mexican miner movie would come out. Could be a good movie. I like movies that take place in one location(Rope, Buried, Rear Window), if it does all take place in the mine.

Coppola returning to Hollywood to make a new epic? Count me in! This is the best news I've read in a while. I can only hope it's good. But I'm not expecting a new Godfather or Apocalypse Now.

May 24 - 11:50 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Nope; regardless of his great films.

May 25 - 12:28 AM

May 25 - 12:47 AM

Bazooka Jew

I must have missed that part at the end.

May 25 - 02:19 PM

The Movie King

Jacob Martin

I've never heard of Quicksilver, but I'm still excited for Avengers 2.

May 25 - 05:09 AM

May 25 - 11:17 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel