Marvel Movie Madness! Part 13: X-Men: First Class

Summary

Matt: After a disappointing descent into mediocrity (X-Men: The Last Stand, and Wolverine), Marvel's mutant heroes make a triumphant return to the big screen with a prequel that tells the story of how the band got together back in the day. Now, if you're like me and grew up reading The Uncanny X-Men, you won't like the liberties taken here with which mutants were actually in this "First Class." But I'm willing to let that pass because this movie is mostly pretty fun. The action is thrilling, the cast is (mostly) great, and the story works pretty well. Back to Article

Comments

algreen99

AL Green

Did we do the Spiderman movies yet?

Jun 6 - 10:51 AM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

Not yet. They're coming up at the end of the month.

Jun 6 - 11:48 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

I can't wait to get into those.

Jun 6 - 06:50 PM

Mike H.

Mike Hetzer

If it is these guy's job to question every aspect of the film, I suspect they never get any real enjoyment out of going to the movies.

Jun 6 - 11:13 AM

David

David Roberts

Seriously. I could not finish reading this half assed critique. Everyone has an opinion that will vary but I find this review to be far too nit picky to give any sort of time to care about.

I think the biggest problem with people reviewing this movie is how soon they are to forget just how bad X3 Last Stand and XMO Wolverine were as franchise installaments. By any account they could have killed it altogether but fortunately their box office totals gave Fox enough of a push.

To me, First Class is the Batman Begins of the X-Men franchise with X3 and Xmen Origins serving as Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Now you can argue that Batman Begins is a superior film but thatā??s not the point. First Class desparately needed to right the ship and to that point I think it in a fantastic sense. The pieces are in play for a superior sequel that can further explore the X Men dynamic. And for further thoughts on First Class, just go to Cory Bā??s post below which I think nails it on every level.

Jun 7 - 03:50 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

"The whole plot being hitched to the Cuban missile crisis, though, deflated the tension a little too much; we know how that turned out, which isn't necessarily fatal to the movie, but the plot builds so heavily upon it that we're invited to sit in suspense for an outcome that is forgone." I'm going to give two completely different ends of the spectrum to why this is a bit of a purist critique. First, I personally didn't like Titanic, but it made like a billion dollars. I don't remember hearing a lot of, "Well, what's point? We know how it ends." But you don't. You know how the Cuban Missle Crisis ends, but you don't know how it's ends for the characters. Second, Inglorious Basterds (among others, but this is my best example) have shown that you can never assume fiction will adhere to history. For all intents and purposes, the X-Men universe is not our universe. And film adaptations go even one universe further away from the source material.

And personally, I loved the 60s camp factor. Technicolor reactors, training montages, almost nothing spy-related in the early Bond films was realistic. Let them get serious in the 70s, that's all it's good for. And you have to figure nicknames are just tossed off on a whim. If you think about it, most of the X-men codenames are a bit silly, so why not have them just tossed off humorously by kids? I highly doubt any of the guys in Top Gun had long, drawn out, meaningful stories about why their called Goose or Iceman.

I felt the movie had its share of flaws as well. Jones was painful to watch; and I would've preferred some of the supporting mutants got more screen time and others less. And I'm not quite sure where the huge glaring continuity issues are other than some characters that popped up for a split second in the original trilogy are out of their timeline here, but I also haven't revisited the originals in quite some time (I know Hank McCoy was human on some news program in one of the original movies, so he couldn't have turned blue in the 60s). But otherwise, I like them having Mystique and Azazel meeting to set up Nightcrawler into the timeline, and most of the Magneto storyline still held up to the brief flashbacks from the first movies.

I liked it though. The average score is 7.4/10. I'd say that's about right. No masterpiece, but still a great way to start fresh.

Jun 6 - 11:17 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

First off, loved Inglourious Basterds . . . . Fassbender and Kruger were amazing in what little they were given to do in that film (wish i could say the same about Eli Roth) . . . . . Also, having kids randomly pick names was sooooo much better than the origins of how Logan became known as "wolverine" . . . . however, if the glaring continuity issues aren't obvious to you yet, i would like you to try to make sense of the following: Last Stand's beginning, Wolverine Origins' ending . . . and First class's ending . . . . see if you can figure out what happened when and who was still friends with whom.

Jun 6 - 06:19 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Yes, but they've openly stated that they're only respecting the continuity of the first two films (since Singer was a producer for First Class). They basically said The Last Stand and Origins can suck it. They weren't even attempting to honor any plot lines from them.

Jun 6 - 07:48 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Ahhhhhhh, yes . . . . . i believe that's known as the "Superman Returns defense" for ignoring sequels 3 & 4. . . . well, it still doesn't change the fact that enough of the original cast returned to warrant a legitimate continuation of the original storyline (see also: Schumacher's use of the original Alfred & Commissioner Gordon)

Jun 6 - 09:48 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

But it's a prequel. You're not providing a continuation of the original storyline. You're creating the storyline. Your example is from a sequel. Sequels always try to bring back original actors because moviegoers tend to have a knee-jerk reaction against drastic changes to characters. Thankfully, Rachel Dawes was a throwaway character anyways. Hence why Ratner used the original cast. He's the parallel to Schumacher in your analogy. Vaughn can use the same actors and still ignore The Last Stand because it hasn't happened. And we should all ignore Origins. If we don't believe in it, it can't hurt us in our dreams.

Jun 7 - 05:48 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

See I have no problem with what Vaughn did, this is what they do in comics all the time i.e. take the elements that work X-Men and X2 and don't allow yourself to be bogged down by what doesn't i.e. X3 and Wolverine. That's how comics continue to stay fresh. Imagine a world where future comic book writers were forced to adher to the existence of Howard the Duck or Frankencastle **shudders at the memory of Frankencastle, and not in a good way**

Jun 7 - 06:53 AM

Adam M.

Adam Mata

--nods--

The first thing I thought of while reading the part of Luke's review about the plot being a foregone conclusion was... Well first off this is a prequel, so you better be ready to know that you're going to walk in there knowing quite a bit already. Furthermore, I thought adding the Cuban Missile Crisis to the plot line was brilliant. It helps the audience connect more to the X-Men Universe.

Great job on detailing that if a movie does end up 'accurately' depicting history (Titanic), moviegoers don't go to the movies thinking 'what's the point since we know the end result to the event.' Even more so on the Inglorious Bastards example that should serve as a reminder that these are not documentaries but fiction movies meant to entertain, so don't go into movies thinking the ending is a foregone conclusion.

Jun 6 - 10:28 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

The "slavery" line, and then the next shot...

Anyone else have no idea how to react to that?

Jun 6 - 11:25 AM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

The laughing guy in our theater got a good chuckle out of that.

Jun 6 - 11:44 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

My theater had a guy blowing raspberries at the screen.

Jun 6 - 04:17 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

When they did that quick cut to the only black guy in the room when he mentioned slavery, I couldn't help but say aloud, "Really?" It was funny but I couldn't bring myself to laugh right away.

Jun 6 - 06:52 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Why doesn't this make sense? He was making references to historic events. For those who do not know, the USA once lawfully allowed people to keep slaves, most of which were black. Making that statement and then looking to him was his way of trying to convince him to join his cause because he could relate. Makes sense to me.

Jun 6 - 10:15 PM

hoeech

Thomas H.

It shows that you have a grasp on the obvious. The others do not.

Jun 7 - 02:37 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Oh boy . . . . at the risk of possibly offending some while DEFINITELY offending others, allow me to explain the inherent silliness of that line & cutaway: Slavery, like the holocaust, was real . . . . . Persecution of mutants, however, is fictional. So when you try to add drama to your fictional story by reminding people of how this threat is exactly like that other thing that actually happened . . . . well. . . . . its a bit like exploitation. . . . . . . . . Case in point: for the last 10 years, terrorism has been a very popular theme in international cinema. As such, many foreign directors have addressed the current war on terror as the backdrop for many a revenge/military flicks . . . . and do you know what plot device frustrates/cracks me up the most? When you find out that the main character's mother/daughter/brother/father or possibly all of the above were either a) At the WTC when it got attacked or b)Were in the airplanes that flew into the towers . . . Now i'm not saying foreign nationals didn't lose their lives in the attacks, but for filmmakers to play that card just to make the audience feel the depths of the protagonist's real-world pain, just so they can cheer him on when he finally kills his way to a Bin Laden stand-in and then proceeds to skull fuck his corpse while that country's national anthem plays in the background. . . . You just can't help but ask yourself: Was invoking the attacks of 9/11 really that necessary for the story, or did someone throw that in there just to make the fake character's fake mission seem more "REAL"?

Jun 7 - 07:57 AM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

I'm still sticking with my guns that this wasn't silly or bad. Yes, it is a comic book movie, but we're supposed to believe in what is going on and that they existed in our timeline, not some alternate reality. To make mention of things that happened does not bother me. I'm just wondering if the comment would have been about the oppression of Jews and then the cut scene went to Magneto, if we'd be having this discussion.

Jun 7 - 02:47 PM

TheInfamousToad

Ethan Saugey

Well I'm grateful January Jones only had a few lines to say... I've seen her in a couple of movies now, and she's been rather horrible in both of them.
I didn't mind the connection between Xavier and Mystique, but it still baffled me...
But the worst part of the movie for me? When Magneto cracks Frost's diamond neck with a metal BEDPOST! For crying out loud, did no one involved in this film take chemistry?
These are just minor things though. Excellent movie overall, and my favorite of the series. Highly recommendable.

Jun 6 - 11:37 AM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

@TheInfamousToad
yeah, jones was terrible (TERRIBLE) in unknown

Jun 6 - 04:45 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

I did say to my friend, "When can brass, or some other standard metal shatter diamond?"

Jun 6 - 10:16 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

While Diamond is the hardest substance on Earth, I'm not sure if it's the toughest. I think you can actually chip or break diamond with a hydraulic press or similar.

Jun 7 - 07:01 AM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Or one Magneto and a bedframe, apparently. LOL

Jun 7 - 02:44 PM

Lion O

Larry Oliver

Diamond or not, Jones was terrible. She sounded like a bored sorority girl. Emma Frost is a great character and this movie didn't do her any favors

Jun 28 - 04:26 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

The laughing guy in our theater got a good chuckle out of that.

Jun 6 - 11:44 AM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

My theater had a guy blowing raspberries at the screen.

Jun 6 - 04:17 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

Not yet. They're coming up at the end of the month.

Jun 6 - 11:48 AM

Ryan N.

Ryan Nolan

I though it was great! Best Marvel movie yet; it had the character development of the 1st two X-men and much improved action on X3 and Wolverine.

This write-up is contradicting the website they work which gathered reviews for a recorded score of 87%. They were so lenient on X3, a movie with horrible dialog, a thrown together story and some pretty boring action sequences, yet were "disappointed" by this smart, fast paced and very enjoyable film. I think they were just guys who are a little too caught up in the whole, "not like the comic book" thing. Get over it, it was a very good movie.

Jun 6 - 12:09 PM

David

David Roberts

I agree. I don't know if it has to do with the expectations going into it but they were far too critical for such a smart, quick paced and well directed movie.

Jun 7 - 03:54 PM

Helmkat

Thomas Helmka

After the horrid X3 and Wolverine this felt like a breath of fresh air! Fassbender just ate up the screen, honestly after seeing this movie I'm suprised any mutant would join Xavier, Magneto clearly had 10x charisma and a solid grasp of the reality of mutants. My complaints are total "fanboy" stuff

-Bacon is way to skinny to be Sebastion Shaw and the Nazi revisionst history was way too far from canon...
-Why create a cool character like Darwin to just throw him away?

But on the whole I can forgive this kind of stuff for the cool factor of such things as

-Emma giving the Russian General some "mind"
-Magneto pulling that Sub out of the water
-Beasts transformation

I think I will probably go see this movie one more time before it leaves the threatres...

Jun 6 - 01:48 PM

Pammie B.

Pamela Bryant

I'm with you on the Darwin character. They killed him off too fast. I read somewhere that in the comic, he was killed off before but then returned because he had converted himself to pure energy. So maybe he will return.....speaking of too skinny....January Jones. Why are all comic book women drawn curvaceously, but when they put them on the screen, they choose the thinnest women possible?

Jun 6 - 07:01 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

I've avoided talking specifically about Darwin since it's a bit of a spoiler to give away a character's fate for people that didn't get a chance to see the film opening weekend. But in that situation, if I had to choose between more Darwin...or Banshee...well, give me Darwin. Banshee reminded me of a watered-down Ron Weasley, and I had enough of him after a few minutes.

Jun 7 - 05:54 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I gotta disagree with you on Banshee. I thought he was a great character. He seemed like the character that had the most heart out of the young X-Men, and that scene when he finally was able to fly gave me goosebumps. I thought it was a great scene.

Jun 8 - 06:41 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Really? That was the one aspect of Jones' Frost that I thought was spot on. She definately looked the part with her skinny waste and **cough cough** ample topside. I just thought she completely missed the characters essence. So far outside of Betty on Mad Men she's shown me nothing. It's entirely possible she just has zero range and can only play herself or needs the role to fit her style instead of vice versa.

Jun 7 - 07:06 AM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Haha I thought this too; I was like hmm, I'd really like to see this woman in a not-cold-bitch role. But I've heard she's a cold bitch herself, so...

Jun 10 - 01:54 AM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

I don't really understand why everybody's hating on January Jones. Emma Frost is a very cold character in the comics (not so much recently), and does not show a lot of emotion (that is why one of her powers is having a very hard exterior), so the fact that she doesn't show much emotion falls in line with the character. Emma Frost is really just something to look at.

Jun 6 - 03:43 PM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

I was expecting her to be cold, but I thought she seemed sort of medicated instead.

Jun 6 - 04:17 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

I don't see it as hate directed towards January, just more of a realization that her ability to end up in "pretty girl with no emotion" type roles has less to do with her acting and more to do with a director's need for said caricature. . . . . . kinda like how Keanu Reeves is always playing the "always baked looking dude"

Jun 6 - 06:05 PM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

Good point. The only other thing I've ever seen her in is Anger Management so I'm not the best judge of her acting ability.

Jun 6 - 08:27 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

dude . . . . . .DO NOT watch the episode of SNL that she tried hosting . . . . . wait, what am i saying? . . . . . .you should TOTALLY watch her try and host an episode of SNL!

Jun 6 - 09:25 PM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

Does it fall under the so-bad-its-good category or so-bad-its-terrible-and-scarring-and-makes-me-feel-like-giving-up-on-the-world category?

Jun 6 - 10:39 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

the latter

Jun 6 - 11:24 PM

Larry C.

Larry Cunningham

I agree. I thought she was one of the better characters in the movie. I understand the criticism based off the previous stuff she's done, but that was what the role called for! It's like hating on Ron Perlman in any movie he does. Reinhardt, Hellboy, Clay from Sons of Anarchy, they're all the same character to me! And they are all badass! And let's not forget January Jones is GREAT eye-candy! Another thing needed to play Emma Frost!

Jun 6 - 08:48 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I got the coldness, but I didn't get the underlaying heat and wit that I associate with Emma Frost. She's a seductress, a coniving witch and all around just someone you don't want to mess with. I couldn't see the Emma Frost from the books just taking the abuse from Shaw. In the movie she seemed more like a damaged lovestruck teenager rather than the vindictive bitch goddess she comes across in the comics. It was like Betty Draper playing dominatrix dress up and that's all I've ever seen from her as an actress. The look was dead on, but the substance was lacking

Jun 7 - 07:26 AM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

That requires time to set up, and the movie is already 2 and a half hours long. Put that together with the amount of other characters in the movie, some character development goes by the way side. They had to pick and choose who would get the screen time, and while she appeared on the screen for a respectable amount of time, she was more of a plot mover than important character. Unfortunately, there is only so long an audience will sit and watch a movie.

Jun 7 - 07:47 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

See I don't know, I think with the right actress and the right line you could have done it with one sentence. In the scene where Shaw dismisses her instead of putting on the poot and dutifully going to get his ice if she'd leaned in and said "Speak to me again in that tone and I'll twist your mind into light spreadable jelly and lick it off my fingertips as it drips from your ear." **walk slowly away and maybe turn around at the door and give him a playful smile or giggle**. Of course I'm not a professional screen writer, but I think something like that would have gone a long way toward establishing credibility and keeping more toward the spirit of the character. She was one of the few people in the film Shaw was vulnerable to. They could have used that. Again I don't know if this is a failing of the writers or Jones, but I am leaning toward the latter because I would think in the wrong hands lines like that can come off in what I'll term a Berry-esque fashion..."What happen's to a toad when it's struck by lightening?"

Jun 7 - 09:11 AM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

Good point. Now that I think about it, I remember several characters from different movies who have less screen time and are more developed. But we also don't know what scenes were left on the cutting room floor that may have helped that development along.

Jun 7 - 09:22 AM

Pat G.

Pat Guder

By the way, that may be the single best line I've have ever read or heard in my life!

Jun 7 - 10:16 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

You should have read some of my arguments with Gordon before. I hated him with the fire of a thousand suns once.

Jun 7 - 11:46 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

In defense of Jones casting I can't think of someone who looks more like Emma Frost and casting someone who looked ridiculous in the costume might have been equally distracting. Maybe Basinger in her heyday or Reese Witherspoon could have given the character more gravitas.

Jun 7 - 11:49 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I disagree about the line of dialogue to Shaw over the ice cubes. The story set up Shaw as the biggest Badass in the room, and only the combined forces of Xavier and Magneto would bring him down. Having Frost remind him of how vulnerable he was to her would have undermined that. I do agree that her performance could have been more nuanced and interesting but for the purpose of this movie (not comic adherence) I just saw her as a Bond girl and she ful-Filled the role nicely. ;)

Jun 7 - 12:39 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Easily overcome with a raised glass or a goofy smile after she leaves from Shaw to show that he's not really worried or a little titilated. I think Frost would have been better as his partner rather than his henchman. In the comics he was the Black King and she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club and I never felt that dynamic was weak. As for the Bond girl thing, for me the best Bond girls Pussy Galore, Ursula Andreas, Octopussy were all sexy because they were strong, I hesitate to use the word empowered because it's a PC buzzword, but I can barely remember the floozies. Do you think Pussy Galore would have taken that kind of crap without burying the icepick in his brainstem?

Jun 7 - 05:31 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Also, DJ Mark, she reminds him how vulnerable he is to Xavier which doesn't really make any sense either. I'm fully aware you're vulnerable to a telepath, but I, a telepath am still going to take crap from you because *insert Barbie giggle* I'm just a girl.

Jun 8 - 05:17 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Yeah, I see your point. I think the Black King/White Queen concept you mentioned would have been pretty awesome for these two characters.

Jun 8 - 12:57 PM

TheMovieNerd

Tumelo Drametu

I personally loved First Class. It is my favorite movie of the year so far and my favorite Marvel film. 10/10.

Jun 6 - 03:45 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Oh plz, people! First Class was amazing! Continuity is not a criteria for how good a movie is!

Jun 6 - 04:43 PM

Cory

Cory B

No, it isn't. Not when the choices are remaining true to shit like X3 and Wolverine or ignoring them and creating something better.

Jun 6 - 05:18 PM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

Jun 6 - 04:17 PM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

My theater had a guy blowing raspberries at the screen.

Jun 6 - 04:17 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Jun 6 - 04:43 PM

Cory

Cory B

Jun 6 - 05:18 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

@TheInfamousToad
yeah, jones was terrible (TERRIBLE) in unknown

Jun 6 - 04:45 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

While this still had the feel of a typical popcorn flick like the rest, this was the first time for the X film franchise that I was actually invested in the characters and their plight. I've been saying all along that the concentration camp scene is the only emotionally engaging aspect of the prior films. I think Vaughn realized this which is why he used it as a starting point and then expanding from there. Thus when it's on the mark it hits it out of the park further than any Marvel Studios property yet.

Jun 6 - 05:11 PM

Cory

Cory B

I WISH this was a Marvel Studios property...

Jun 6 - 05:19 PM

This comment has been removed.

Cory

Cory B

It would actually mean a damn, because they would do a pure reboot of the series that would probably be a bit more true to the source material. I see this as essential, because moving on past X3 (i.e. doing anything other than prequels or spin-offs) is basically impossible without making entire previous plotlines redundant. Now, Fox could easily do the same thing, but they won't as long as their continuations keep making money.

Jun 6 - 05:39 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

All the Marvel movies since Blade are "Marvel Studios." What you mean is the independent branch, which is still a part of Marvel Studios.

Jun 6 - 05:52 PM

Cory

Cory B

Why did you delete your previous post and take my pithy reply with it? LOL

Jun 6 - 06:53 PM

j l.

j l

no, it means that marvel studios doesnt own the rights to the x-men movie franchise. the x-men movies are produced by fox.

Jun 7 - 09:18 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

It's still Marvel Studios Sherlock.

Jun 7 - 10:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think what he's saying is Marvel Studio's doesn't have final creative say. Some make the connection that this is important because when Marvel Studio's has final creative say they've never done a bad movie and when Sony/Fox has final creative say you've gotten a mixed bag with highs like this and the first two Spiderman's and X-Men and Lows like Ang Lee's Hulk, Ghost Rider, Both Fantastic Fours and X3.

Jun 8 - 08:00 AM

Square M.

Vince Mcmahon

Agreed. Marvel Studios is quickly becoming the most overrated production company in the film industry. All 3 X films with Singer's name attached to them were superior to the Avenger's prequels.

Sep 23 - 09:22 AM

Cory

Cory B

Jun 6 - 05:18 PM

Cory

Cory B

I WISH this was a Marvel Studios property...

Jun 6 - 05:19 PM

This comment has been removed.

Cory

Jun 6 - 06:53 PM

j l.

j l

Jun 7 - 09:18 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

It's still Marvel Studios Sherlock.

Jun 7 - 10:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 8 - 08:00 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships