Weekly Ketchup: Michael Fassbender Joins Assassin's Creed

Summary

There are lots of events that take place in a given year of Hollywood movie news, but few result in quite the news-filled entries of The Weekly Ketchup as does the mid-July gathering at the San Diego Comic-Con. Especially, that is, if your interest lies in the areas of movies based on video games and comic book super heroes. Included in the mix this week are movies based on the video game franchises Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex, God of War, and the Marvel superheroes Daredevil, Fantastic Four, and The Wolverine. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Nice way to sneak "Noah" in there. That's actually one of the projects I was most excited about this week. Aronofsky has developed a graphic novel to show some of his visual ideas, and it looks post-apocalyptic, being compared to Mad Max, with these huge giants flailing multiple arms. Anyone interested can find images, I'm sure.

"Wolverine" is shaping up. But, honestly, I'm not sure if Mangold is a better fit than Gavin Hood. Mangold has made some decent films (esp. Copland, 3:10 to Yuma), but he also seems to be nothing more than competent, delivering what is called for, nothing really extraordinary. Now, if only they'll make it "R", and all will be right.

I'm actually alright with Walter Hill taking a shot at "Baby Jane" depending on who he casts (some real cougs, like Jessica Lange and Barbara Hershey). Plus, how did "Red Heat" make it to the top of his resume? "Warriors", Streets of Fire", "Southern Comfort" y'all?

Channing Tatum makes some rotten news for me. I'd much rather see Greg Schmitz's movie starring McConaughey. Despite his newfound fame, I think he's still a putz. Adapting Twilight fan fiction is not helping my opinion any. Anyone interested in quality femme eroticism should look to Europe and films like "Exterminating Angels" or "Room in Rome".

Another putz: Eli Roth. Pretty much stops my interest in it's tracks. Crowe should have starred in Argento's Dracula movie, so he could battle Rutger Hauer's Van Helsing. I'd pay for that.

Putz galore: Ed Helms. Unfunny. Supposed to be "normal" or something I can relate to, I assume. Makes a great lame newscaster though. I'd prefer Jason Sudekis or even Danny McBride at this point.

The most rotten news has to be Ratner is making a Hercules movie. Except, I admit, it made me laugh a little bit. Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh...

Jul 14 - 07:50 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think people will want to be up and arms about Noah before it's released but afterwards it will be so Weired that people won't quite know what to complain about. Either way Arnofsky films have always frustrated me to know end.

I think just enough, or up to par, and nothing extraordinary sounds much better than the last Wolverine Film.

You know I've never seen Baby Jane. I'll bet if flies onto Netflix now that a remake is in the mix.

Shouldn't Soderbergh be mentioned for the critical success of Magic Mike over Channing Tatum? I mean, he turned J-Lo into a suitable actress in Out of Sight. That was the only time she ever appeared to be an actress. A co-worker I have is going to be real bummed if Tatum is in 50 Shades of Gray. She says Gray is suppose to be Suave and Debonare, not a meat head who works out 24/7.

Eli Roth was Great in Inglorious Basterds. That is all

I don't think I'll ever understand Ed Helmes. He doesn't come across as a putz to me. He comes across as someone rational during a disaster while everyone else comes across as a putz for acting like nothing bad is happening. It's like normal is the new funny. Oh well.

Loved The Muppets. If this new Hercules is a disaster like the Lou Farigno (spelling?) film than I am highly anticipating this. HE THREW A BEAR INTO SPACE!

Jul 14 - 12:22 PM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

You're right. McBride is a better Randy Quaid type.

I'll forgive Ratner if his Hercules throws Eli Roth into outer space.

Jul 15 - 01:40 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Definitely check out "Baby Jane". It works as a very dark comedy (Bettie Davis is INSANE!) and as a psychological thriller (did I mention the intense insanity?). If you have cats, make sure they're out of the room when you watch it.

Ed Helms is normal, TOO normal. Like the guy who should be getting made fun of for how normal he is, more of a Charles Grodin type than a Chevy Chase. I see Will Arnett or Will Ferrell more in the latter role. I would call Helms like a Felix Unger type, but I think he's even below the standards of Jack Lemmon or Tony Randell.

Jul 15 - 01:39 PM

Louis Ghanem

Louis Ghanem

I'm a huge fan of Fassbender, and while I may not have enjoyed the direction Ubisoft took with Brotherhood and Revelations, I did love the first two games, and have enough faith in Fassbender to make up for my worries. Still, could go either way.

Jul 14 - 08:04 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Eli Roth was Great in Inglorious Basterds. That is all

Jul 14 - 12:22 PM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

You're right. McBride is a better Randy Quaid type.

I'll forgive Ratner if his Hercules throws Eli Roth into outer space.

Jul 15 - 01:40 PM

Jul 15 - 01:39 PM

Edshu33

No Name

How is the Assassin's Creed movie fresh? I love Assassin's Creed and Michael Fassbender, but video game adaptations have a history of sucking.

Jul 14 - 01:32 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

It is fresh for two reasons. One, Fassbender is a boss. Two, Ubisoft is actually developing and producing this movie. There has never been a videogame movie where the developer and publisher actually oversaw the thing, so this increases Assassin's Creed's chances of not sucking.

Jul 14 - 04:13 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I guess everyone is hoping that Assasin's Creed will do to video game adaptations what X-men did to comic book adaptations or what The Curse of the Black Pearl did to the pirates genre. Then again, many thought Prince of Persia would be the one to buck the trend and that didn't quite turn out as planned, so who knows?

Jul 14 - 11:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Jul 14 - 04:13 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I guess I have to ask the question on everone's mind...
Does Fassbender have a nude scene in the movie?

Jul 14 - 08:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It's Knights Templar, so...you know. Baphomet ass with a chance of sodomy :)

Jul 15 - 01:41 PM

This comment has been removed.

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

This is correct. Also a statement of what *Hunger Games* fans might be more familiar with. Even today's kids still know Twister.

Jul 15 - 12:22 PM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

You're right. McBride is a better Randy Quaid type.

I'll forgive Ratner if his Hercules throws Eli Roth into outer space.

Jul 15 - 01:40 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 14 - 11:39 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I'm not really sure why any Marvel property that isn't a Marvel Studios movie should be labbeled rotten. I mean Sony has done pretty well with their Spiderman franchise (three really good films out of four, and in all honesty I have to side with critics on not really seeing that much difference quality wise between The Incredible Hulk and Spiderman 3), and while they may have stumbled a couple of times, Fox I thought also did good with their X-men franchise (to be honest, I don't think Marvel would have waited for Bryan Singer to finish Superman Returns either, given their track record with directors). Granted, I wouldn't say the same for their handling of Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four or Daredevil, but to their credit they did get a solid director for Fantastic Four, so I still think there's hope for their non X-men franchises yet (except for Ghost Rider, which is pretty much dead).

Jul 14 - 11:55 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Nobody wants to see a God of War movie, we want a real one. I've played God of War of War: Ghosts of Sparta and Chains of Olympus for PS3.

I hope Assassin's Creed movie will be way better than those good and bad video game movies. Can't wait for Assassin's Creed III this fall. As for Deus Ex, maybe it's time CBS Films should learn a lesson from the Need for Speed movie. Who the hell cares!

I don't know if Dusty is the right choice to star in "Catching Fire."

Thank god Fox still owns the rights to 3 Marvel film fanchises, but why rebooting?

Jul 15 - 01:56 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel