Weekly Ketchup: X-Men: First Class Sequel Details Revealed

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes two movies with Stephen King connections (The Dark Tower, and a prequel to The Shining), sequels for Prometheus, Thor, and X-Men: First Class, and a new movie for He-Man and The Masters of the Universe. Back to Article

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Hobbit yes, X-men ok, everything else pfft.

Aug 3 - 06:20 PM

Nelline Barrow

Nelline Barrow

I agree with Val.

Aug 3 - 07:00 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

I would have to say good for the Russell Crowe news and the Terrence Malick news though.

Aug 4 - 03:32 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

THE DARK TOWER . . . just as long as the series doesn't begin to become stupid with Jake's little furry animal named Oy . . . as soon as Oy came on the picture, my suspension of disbelief totally broke and I was finished with The Dark Tower Books. Also, there was a SIX YEAR GAP between the publication of The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass--I aged rather rapidly between '91 and '97 and The Dark Tower Books are not too thrilling at all anymore. I still enjoy thinking about The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three but other than that-- I hope the movie series is much more captivating and sustains my enthusiasm and excitement through-out its 25-hour running time (figure there are 7 [now 8] Dark Tower books . . . it will be at least 2 and a half hours per book with some books being longer than others). Also, The Drawing of the Three is soooooo different from The Gunslinger, I was initially turned-off by it and put it aside until The Waste-Lands was published when I was 20.// Russell Crowe is obviously a favorite of Ron Howard's . . . it looks like Warner Bros. is throwing a lot of weight behind The Dark Tower. IF The Dark Tower does manage to span 7 movies, both Ron Howard and Russell Crowe make lose interest by series-end. And then there will be an inevitable regime change at Warner Bros. in mid-series and The Dark Tower films will suffer because the new Studio Head will not be a Dark Tower fan and will be unable to grasp the Dark Tower's greatness and slash the budget by three quarters causing The Dark Tower film series to become a nightmare for fans.

Aug 4 - 07:20 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Wow, Wizard and Glass is by far my favorite of the series. I actually don't care that much for The Drawing of the Three. It's my least favorite of the pre-accident works. I think if King would have taken his time and let the books just come to him instead of panicing and rushing to the finish we might have had one of the all time classic series in literary history. I would site The Little Sisters of Eluria and The Wind Through the Keyhole as proof that when unhurried by thoughts of his own mortality that King is still more than capable of nailing what was so special about the early works in this series (Gunslinger, Drawing, Wastelands and W&G). Sadly, we'll probably never know now. Damn Maine drivers.

Aug 4 - 08:06 AM

Paul Martinez

Paul Martinez

Dude -- Billy Bumblers Rock -- and Oy is their King!

Aug 5 - 12:40 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

PFFT!

Aug 4 - 06:55 AM

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

Hobbit pfft, X-men maybe, Prometheus definitely.

Aug 8 - 02:13 PM

Nelline Barrow

Nelline Barrow

I agree with Val.

Aug 3 - 07:00 PM

Matthew J.

Matthew James

Not 'The Shining'. I'd rather see 'Jesus Christ - The Musical: Baby Years' than a prequel to 'The Shining' that's like giving a prequel to 'Psycho' or 'Dr. Strangelove' or 'North by Northwest'. It shouldn't happen. Never. Ever. EVER.

Aug 3 - 07:18 PM

Jacob

Jacob Grimm

Except, sadly, Psycho IV did happen.

Aug 3 - 08:53 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

THE SHINING 2: THE BEGINNING . . . there are A LOT of things that can be done in a SHINING prequel, in addition to the Delbert Grady Tragedy and the Mafia assassinations in the hotel and the Hotel-Being-Built-On-an-Indian-Burial Ground, you also have THAT OLD DRUG-ADDICT LADY and her pusher boyfriend story where the old lady dies in the bathtub. /// YET AGAIN . . . THE PROBLEM. . . nobody in Hollywood treats horror movies with any respect whatsoever and the studio heads hire "young directors" and "young actors" and "young screenwriters" to make the movies and we end-up with utter "cut-and-paste" "claptrap" "shit" and it SUCKS because there is so much that can be EXPLORED with the universe Stephen King is operating in in THE SHINING///I'm thinking of Kenneth Branaugh's DEAD AGAIN and how great and illustrious that (horror/thriller) film was in capturing the Roaring Twenties where much of The Overlooks more exciting past seems to take place . . . ///also Warner Bros. can incorporate aspects of DR. SLEEP Stephen King's sequel to THE SHINING where there's a convoy of Psychic Vampire-types trolling the nation's highways in campers and RVs that somehow relates to Danny Torrence's gift . . . maybe The Psychic-Vampire-types are actually spirits from the Indian Burial Ground over-which The Overlook Hotel was constructed.

Aug 4 - 07:34 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I hate that too. Very seldom are cult favorites (be it books, video games, etc) given very good treatment by Hollywood, instead they hire these hacks who have only previous experience making commercials and music videos. Then they get random cast that nobodies ever heard of and can barely act, and surprise - crap movie. It's all about the fast buck.

Aug 4 - 10:33 PM

Todd Foster

Todd Foster

A prequel to "The Shining" NO!

Aug 3 - 07:37 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The Shining prequel YESSSS . . . c'mon we have to see The Mafia Guy's brains splattering against the wall of hotel ballroom . . . (Danny Torrence sees the aftermath of the Mafia-Guy's head being blown-off in one of The Overlook's ballrooms).//but WE ALL KNOW that despite being handed some of the RICHEST, MOST IMAGINATIVE literary material out there, Hollywood will still SCREW IT UP! and give us TOTAL CRAP with "bad acting" "bad writing" "bad directing" and "poor cinematography" . . . THE OVERLOOK HOTEL (in Kubrick's movie) is more beautiful and opulent than THE TITANIC even more beautiful than The Stanley Hotel where Stephen King based his hotel; so, THE OVERLOOK HOTEL is The Most Beautiful Hotel . . . YET, on the other hand, THE OVERLOOK HOTEL has the DARKEST, MOST BRUTAL, UGLIEST HISTORY occurring within its walls; essentially THE OVERLOOK HOTEL is a character unto itself that has spanned many lifetimes.//ALSO, THE SHINING is a total RIP-OFF of Brian Marasco's 1974 novel BURNT OFFERINGS . . . the wife in Burnt Offerings becomes as seduced by The Manor as Jack Torrence is seduced by The Overlook in The Shining.///The last ten minutes of BURNT OFFERINGS has got to amount to one of the BEST ENDINGS ever to happen to film.

Aug 4 - 07:48 AM

Namclay

Zach M.

Uh, there's no Kubrick involved, that is all.

Aug 16 - 03:46 AM

Thomas Skuzinski

Thomas Skuzinski

Exactly. Kubrick's direction elevated that story to one of the all time psychological horror classics. The gore was there as part of the story, not as some stylistic bauble. I can't think of a director who could pull it off (maybe Aronofsky?)

Sep 3 - 08:05 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Stories I give two shits about:

Top story- Gah, I know it must be nice to make beaucoup money for very little actual work, but pretty please get Singer back in the director's chair. I will not be swindled/deceived by the tomatometer this time, First Class had more godawful dialogue than both Matrix sequels combined, laughably bad SFX (Weta should lend their services to every non-Nolan superhero franchise), and a painfully jerky plot. Kevin Bacon's finest work since Tremors my ass.

2- Three to four additional hours to bask in the warmth of PJ's Hobbit, no complaints from me.

3- Cool. I took the fact that Prometheus is an Alien-related film with a grain of salt and thus was able to enjoy it on many levels, unlike many of my fellow posters who had less tempered expectations or are more anal with regard to movie quality than myself (no small feat). Maybe something to do with the fact that I always saw Alien as inferior to Cameron's sequel, not that I don't love the original. It's like comparing Magic Johnson to Jordan, and Prometheus is Lebron. You can pick holes in Lebron's game: he's bigger, flashier, and dumber than the older guys, and most people who've seen them all don't like him as much as his predecessors. But there's still much to be appreciated. For the record, I'm much cooler with more Alien movies than Blade Runner II, etc..

6- God damnit. You've gone and found the one way to leave me disinterested in a title featuring Green Blades and Diane Kruger. Her naked behind in Troy was one of the more paused movie moments in my adolescent career.

Last- It's the Shinning, do ya wanta get sued?!?

Aug 3 - 08:28 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

PROMETHEUS totally SUCKS . . . yet I got the impression they can do better . . . and. . . the original premise of Prometheus: Ridley Scott wanted to take us back to the origin of humankind itself, pre-dating the SPACE JOCKEY (i.e. race of bio-engineers). There was really no way us fans would or could allow Mr. Scott to do an Alien-prequel without him speculating upon the origin of The Space Jockey found on the planet in the first movie.// so, you can tell Ridley Scott to let his imagination run wild for a PROMETHEUS SEQUEL . . . just as long as it has "better acting" "better writing" "better directing" and "BETTER DIALOG" than Prometheus: The Alien. That crap of Character #1: This is not good//Character # 2: you mean its bad?/Character #3: its not bad for them but its bad for us . . . has got to GO!// The Dialog in THE DARK KNIGHT rises script should serve as a template of what equals GOOD DIALOG. the writing in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is AWESOME!!!! THE DARK KNIGHT deserves SIX OR SEVEN OSCAR NOMINATIONS including Best Actress ANNE HATHAWAY Best Screenplay JOHNATHAN NOLAN and Best Cinematography WALLY PFISTER and Best Production Design NATHAN CRAWLEY. If you want to see an example of a GOOD PRODUCTION see THE DARK KNIGHT RISES . . . truly an excellent film (in terms of production value) all the way around.

Aug 4 - 08:04 AM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Wow... better punctuation and lack of random caps would make your post much easier to read.... Personally, I thought Prometheus was fantastic, even with some of the stilted dialog. TDKR has plenty of that, as well. In fact, both films have massive gaps in logic which were (seemingly) discarded for aesthetic reasons or genre restrictions... Both could have been better but neither "sucked"... I think the Alien vs Aliens debate has more to do with whether one prefers an all-out action/war movie or a thriller/horror film as they are two drastically different genres possessing different requirements

Aug 4 - 09:00 AM

Matt Sreboth

Matt Sreboth

yes dude! nice Simpsons reference

Aug 4 - 01:10 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The history of the Overlook isn't particularly interesting without the characters themselves. Obvious reasons, as GDS so acutely notes.

It should also be more obvious than it apparently is to point out why a dance-movie vet shouldn't be the first choice to helm a He-Man movie, unless the producers are strictly focused on baby-oil on man-breast camp rather than an exciting action/fantasy. Hell, why not give Schumacher a call?

In news I care about, it pleases me to no end to see Terrence malick working so hard, and I hope his Lincoln movie (another unfortunate coincidence with a Spielberg project) manages to counter, say, the Larry Kramer book that he still doesn't have the balls to release. (No, I don't like Chick-fil-a, so don't bother...)

Similar stirrings are making me more forgiving of the Drew Barrymore thing, although it looks as awful as the Carell-Knightly film. But I liked "Whip It", so I'm willing to let the cute slide through. (Sorry, Russell)

I have no idea how "The Hobbit", a 300 page book (compared to the over 1500 page combined Ring Trilogy) can be stretched into 3 movies, but, why not, I'm game to see what PJ has up his sleeve. I'm also eager to see Ridley Scott's follow-up to the hippest hate ticket of the year. Prove 'em wrong, prove 'em all wrong Ridley! The more I hear about "Lost" (a show I never watched), the more I consider Lindelof's absence from the sequel a blessing. Still, I loved "Prometheus", and shall see it reign supreme on all the fanboy's childrens' top sci/fi lists eventually. (Well, right behind "Alien" and "Blade Runner"...)

Aug 3 - 08:35 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

THE SHINING 2: THE BEGINNING The Overlook will sport new characters . . . I would like to see Delbert Grady especially cut-up his family with an axe and stack them neatly in "one of the rooms upstairs" (in the book Delbert Grady shot-gunned his family to death). And, in the book you have the Mafia family assassination AND you also have the Indian Burial Ground aspect . . . also you can explore the very nature of The Shining itself (the psychic phenomenon where people actually can perceive "echoes" of past events secured in the walls of a structure itself. THE TROUBLE: as we see in the new Total Recall movie and Prometheus and Sherlock Holmes and The Raven, actors can no longer act, writers can no longer write, directors can no longer direct in this age of 2012 so to speak. Everything today has to be "cut-and-paste" action with a "cut-and-paste" screenplay . . . with "cut-and-paste" dialog.///I was playing the 1938 War of the Worlds radio program for my 27 year old cousin and she couldn't really understand it she said the people were speaking so fast it was like listening to another language.// There's an Acute Generational-Gap and THE SHINING 2: THE BEGINNING will be just another hyper-cut-and-paste movie that is not thoughtful or insightful or frightening by any means.

Aug 4 - 06:53 AM

This comment has been removed.

Daniel Morris

Daniel Morris

It's not a "dead horse" -- it's the king grandfather of all horses. Tolkien's works are like the Shadowfax of all fantasy. If New Line Cinema wants to give us 10 movies, heck, bring 'em on... they haven't failed us yet!

Aug 4 - 04:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

3 films of Hobbits means things are going to have be change drastically and also made up and thrown in. I love the Lord of the Rings films, but if you ask me to point out what bothered me about them I would start listing off all the creative changes and made up moments Jackson threw in to the series. Particularly the Witch King Kicking Gandalf's Ass at Minis Tirith. Wow that was crap and a completely made up scene for dramatic effect (extended series only). Now, with the Hobbit being stretched out into 3 films my cynic side is thinking will have more made up crap thrown at the screen for Cinematic effect. Hey I know! Maybe Bilbo can fall in love with an elf chick at Mirkwood..HOW CINEMATIC and it would pad at least a half hour to the film!

Aug 4 - 10:24 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I don't remember Gandalf getting his ass kicked...

Aug 4 - 10:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

At no time in any way did The Witch King have the upper hand over Gandalf. The Whitch king with his legion of Army's Break the Gate of Minis Tirith only to find Gandalf alone standing in there way essentially telling the Witch King to go Back to Hell. The Witch King having his morale destroyed by Gandalf flies off into the battled to Kill Theoden in order to get his moral Back. He didn't KICK Gandalf's Ass in anyone. Gandalf exposed him as a coward!

Aug 6 - 08:08 AM

This comment has been removed.

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

You hit the nail on the head. If your goal is to pretend that you actually live in Middle Earth, then I guess 3 movies is up your alley. If you just want to watch a great story, well-told, then this seems like overkill. A 3 1/2-hour King Kong sounded like my dream come true beforehand, but the actual result was a movie I hardly ever sit through.

Aug 4 - 03:05 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

You don't want to pretend to live in Middle Earth?

Aug 5 - 04:22 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

@John Noto
A little bit I guess, although I'd REALLY rather live on Skull Island.

Aug 5 - 06:00 PM

Davneet Sandhu

Davneet Sandhu

There is so much between the hobbit and LOTR which is what they will likely focus on for the 3rd movie. Tolkien's notes are enough to make a movie on. Don't forget there is 12 books on the history of middle earth based on his notes alone. The 3rd movie will do the bridge the gap between the hobbit storyline and LOTR. Based on tolkien's works you could potentially do 10 movies and they all could be great.

Aug 5 - 09:26 AM

This comment has been removed.

Not L.

Not Likely

So changing the title will make you stop whining like a little girl and actually watch the 3rd movie??

Holy crap you people are clueless, the 3 movies isn't based off just 1 book, it's based off everything they can use in Tolkien's notes and maybe the Silmarillion if they can get the rights

I think it will be fantastic, the story of the Hobbit will be just one portion of the trilogy with everything else Tolkien wrote about the time period wrapped around it and finally bridging gap to LOTR

Really, what's to complain about??

Aug 7 - 10:47 AM

Brad Hickey

Brad Hickey

I completely agree. There is such a thing as respecting the original intent of the original author. If someone has the balls to try and improve on what Tolkien did, be my guest. But leave "The Hobbit" title out of it.

Aug 9 - 09:34 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

There's no doubt that Tolkien wrote enough material for many more movies. Just sayin' that documenting everything that ever happened in Middle Earth is not the same thing as making an enjoyable movie. (In the opinion of us non-LARPers, that is) There's such a thing as self-editing, PJ my man! (and I'm a LotR fan, btw)

Aug 5 - 05:57 PM

Jacob

Jacob Grimm

Except, sadly, Psycho IV did happen.

Aug 3 - 08:53 PM

Santiago Varese

Santiago Varese

How is stretching The Hobbit story even further a fresh story? It wasn't concieved as three separate films and they've already filmed most of it. It's insane.

And the problem with Prometheus wasn't the plot holes (which I never care about), it was the poorly developed and stupid characters, most of whom were useless (why did Charlise Theron even want to play that boring character who serves no purpose to the story?). Great cast, great cinematography, poor script, poor direction.

Aug 3 - 09:02 PM

King  S.

King Simba

It happened during editing, where they found that they would either have two really long films or three films with more reasonable runtimes.

Aug 5 - 12:38 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I'm in for X-Men: Days of Future Past! Since Wolverine is a big part of that story arc, I'd like to see them put it in this film but I don't that'll happen. I don't know how The Hobbit can be stretched into three movies but I'll still see it. I have yet to see Prometheus and no other story this week interests me. I saw a bit of The Shining on TV last week but it was around the same time as the Olympic opening ceremony which I ended up watching. I don't think a prequel is necessary.

Aug 3 - 09:16 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I think the caption for this week is good news that could have been better. Not sure how you work Days of Future Past into the X-Men: First Class stream since Wolverine was so central to it and he only really had a cameo in First Class. I'd much rather they went with The Morlock Massacre, I think that storyline lends itself much better to a late 60's timestream and as for Russell Crowe, I'd generally watch the man paint his house, but when I initially read the article I was really hoping they'd cast him as The Dark Man/Flagg/Marten/etc. I think he'd bring an interesting presence to that character.

Aug 3 - 09:17 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Also, didn't DOFP feature very little Magneto and a dead Professor X. First class was a good movie, but those guys carried it. Without Fassbender's Magneto there's very little movie for me.

Aug 4 - 04:05 AM

Nicholas Arend

Nicholas Arend

Plus Singer needs to declare if Wolverine is set in another universe than First Class(ie Emma Frost) unless Days of Future's past puts a young Frost with Kayla Silverfox. To fill that plot hole. Plus didn't Magneto say something in X2 that Wolverine (I'm taking this along the lines) like a force to be reckoned with so Xavier and Magneto have to engage him at some point. That's just my opinion.

Aug 4 - 11:06 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

The Hobbit trilogy is just Peter Jackson doing a big effort to rid us of our money

Aug 3 - 11:42 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

and it's going to work! Probably multiple times!

Aug 4 - 10:36 PM

Luke J.C.

Luke J.C.

I like this trend where comicbook movies are getting the title of comicbook story arcs. I usually don't mind a number in the title, but a title that feels like it actually refers to the story is a good thing.
A third movie for the Hobbit is a bit odd. When I first heard about reshoots, I thought they meant (what peter jackson calls) pick-ups. After listening to the commentary track of lord of the rings (extended), I had the impression Peter Jackson had no problem to shoot a movie, and AFTER that, to just shoot it again. Apparently he's now trying to top that. I think they can do it though, I'm only a bit worried of the mention of what might be another big war battle. I think lotr showed everything of that.
It's good if Damon Lindelof doesn't return for Prometheus 2. The plot of the complete movie was great, but character development and even the build up of the plot (some lame alien suspense build up early on, without the classic alien to have suspense about) were lacking. And the lead woman was too little of an action woman, the character of Charlize Theron would have been a better lead. But I wouldn't have wanted to miss that movie, and I'll be glad for a second one.

Aug 4 - 03:06 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Aug 4 - 03:32 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 4 - 07:20 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 4 - 08:06 AM

Paul Martinez

Paul Martinez

Dude -- Billy Bumblers Rock -- and Oy is their King!

Aug 5 - 12:40 PM

Aug 4 - 04:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Aug 4 - 10:24 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I don't remember Gandalf getting his ass kicked...

Aug 4 - 10:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Aug 6 - 08:08 AM

This comment has been removed.

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Aug 4 - 03:05 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

You don't want to pretend to live in Middle Earth?

Aug 5 - 04:22 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

@John Noto
A little bit I guess, although I'd REALLY rather live on Skull Island.

Aug 5 - 06:00 PM

Kris McClellan

Kris McClellan

why whould there be a perquel to the shininng

Aug 4 - 05:14 AM