Weekly Ketchup: Familiar Names Return for X-Men: Days of Future Past

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes movie development news stories for such films as Disney's live action Cinderella, a remake of Flight of the Navigator, a Marvin Gaye biopic, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, and the sixth movie based upon Marvel's X-Men comic book characters. There's also new roles for George Clooney, Charlize Theron, and Reese Witherspoon. Back to Article

Comments

Shane Burridge

Shane Burridge

Actually, 'Static' was Mark Romanek's first feature (which I actually saw in a cinema), not 'One Hour Photo'. You might wanna change that.

Nov 30 - 05:16 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

I'll ask RT to insert the word "studio" before debut on Monday. Thanks for knowing about that. :)

Nov 30 - 08:49 PM

Poya Eivazmohammadi

Poya Eivazmohammadi

Age doesn't matter when you don't look your age. I think they will do fine.

Nov 30 - 05:24 PM

Aikana Mauda

Aikana Mauda

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

ARE YOU TIRED OF GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY??? WHY NOT TRY ONLINE JOB....as seen on cnn,foxnews and nbc.
my roomate's mom makes $71 hourly on the internet. She has been out of work for 5 months but last month
her paycheck was $7233 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more...

www.fox81.com

c( )py L I= N K to Your B R( )W SE R

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Dec 5 - 04:04 AM

Brenton M.

Brenton Malnofski

X-Men: Days of Future Past is going to be great! This week confirmed that. X-Men and X2 were great, so having Singer on board is perfect to connect First Class, also great, back to the originals. And the returning actors locked it down. Counting down the days...of future past, lol. 7/18/2014, COME FASTER!

Nov 30 - 06:08 PM

This comment has been removed.

Premo Beat

John Noto

How dare PJ include more source material in an effort to give Tolkien fans a most satisfying Hobbit experience.

Dec 1 - 10:57 AM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

What a sad, sheltered little boy. Out here in the real world, it's actually one of the most anticipated films of the year. By "someone", I presume.

Dec 3 - 11:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Atta boy! Look at you reading and stuff.

"is supposedly full of flashbacks about the dwarves and other stuff that has nothing to do with Tolkien's first novel"

Supposed by who?

"So that "someone" is being fooled and robbed of his good, hard-earned money to see a movie in a series that is ALREADY IN POST PRODUCTION and therefore has ENDED."

All of the films were shot together, and the three-film format was planned back even when Del Toro was slated to direct.
"just make them all two hours and not three"

The Hobbit looks to be about 2 hours 40 minutes. I doubt this trilogy will be anywhere near the total running time of LOTR.

"He's adding stuff from the appendices you say?"

Did I?

"Two films, yeah way to go, I'll see them, but if it ends abruptly without completing the whole Hobbit book's story, and if I have to wait another 6 months to see the rest of it, I'm just gonna snap."

But you sound like you got it so together already.

Dec 3 - 07:13 PM

King  S.

King Simba

X-men would be wise to move its release date. Even if it ends up being the better film X-men has never been nearly as big as Lord of the Rings. Hobbit could end up crushing it.

Also, early reactions for the hobbit have been pretty postive, so it looks like the decision to turn Hobbit into 3 films didn't end up having as much effect on the quality as we thought.

Dec 1 - 10:58 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oh no I think as films the Hobbit will be rated and should be rated very high because Peter Jackson is a fantastic film maker, as far as watching the story The Hobbit unfold I think the concern is what we will really be getting. Because a 200 page book being a 9 hour film epic seems so Odd you know?

Dec 1 - 10:47 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I'm actually holding in my hand a VHS copy of THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, encased in one of those giant old ugly Warner Home Video clamshells (1983, not the 2001 re-release on VHS). It's a relic that's for sure--good little film, don't get me wrong, some good suspense, nice '40s Texas atmosphere. But it's also kinda routine.

Now, as far as the remake of the FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is concerned: as a huge fan of the original, I'm all for it. Why? Oh, man, the original has DATED BADLY. Definitely nostalgic value, with some nifty special effects, but it can't exactly transcend its decade, thus I'm all in for a remake.

Nov 30 - 07:49 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Nice, I don't have the TTDS VHS but I do have the original one-sheet hanging in my dining room. (Yes, dining room)

Recently heard Shout Factory is releasing a BluRay in '13!

Dec 2 - 04:43 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Hey, if you want the VHS tape you could have it! Still plays great! Unless you really want the Blu-Ray of course.

Shout! Factory needs to get on Fox's ass to release the BATMAN show, that's what I've been waiting for forever. Even with Warner Bros. officially now given merchandising rights, still no sign. Are they gunning for a 50th anniversary release you think?

Dec 2 - 04:38 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Nov 30 - 08:49 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Top news & the Cinderella adaption are the only interesting news this week. But Disney, when do you plan in enlightening us with the Mulan adaption?

As for that "The Town that dreaded sundown", never heard of it, don't care about it, & doesn't look interesting, so blah.

Nov 30 - 09:49 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I'd rather Disney focus on their animated fantasy films. Even the computer animated ones, Brave and Tangled, were way better than any live action fantasy based on fairy tales or classic books that we've gotten recently.

Dec 1 - 12:19 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Unless their animated films are hand-drawn, then I'll gladly focus on them. If not, then I'll look forward more to their live-action ones.

Dec 1 - 07:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Computet animated fantasy films by Disney: Tangled, Brave.

Live action fantasies by Disney: Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

To each his own, but I think Disney has had a much better track record with their animated fantasies (whether hand drawn or CGI) than their live action ones.

Dec 2 - 08:37 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Ahem, Brave is PIXAR.

And I hope you're not implying that Alice in Wonderland was bad (it's not Burton's best, but unlike the wonderful 2D one, his had a PLOT).

Dec 2 - 04:02 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Disney owns everything. I came home yesterday and found out Disney owns my house. They plan to install mouse ears on it next week.

Dec 3 - 05:16 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Really? Then do elaborate Lance what the plot for the 2D Alice in Wonderland was, exactly.

Dec 4 - 06:48 PM

George V.

George Voulcan

Flight of the Navigator made a pretty big impression on a lot of kids. I just saw it again after god know how many years and it's actually not that bad a movie at all. I can't believe it didn't do better at the box office. Probably it's structure was the problem. The kid really doesn't get into the ship until more than halfway through the movie. I hope the remake is good.

Nov 30 - 10:48 PM

George V.

George Voulcan

I hope the director keeps the florida setting. Anything by the ocean would be great.

Nov 30 - 10:49 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Can't wait for X-men: Days of Future Past. I loved first class and the storyline for DOFP sounds epic, while it's great to see Bryan Singer returning to the X-men franchise. As for Hugh Jackman joining the cast, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. After all, it could very well be just another cameo appearance (though if it's as great as then one in First Class then I'm not complaining).

Cinderella? Doesn't seem like the kind of fairytale studios would be fond of doing. I mean, it's not like the story offers a whole lot of special effects sequences that Alice or Oz got. Don't really care anyway. The only live action fantasy film I'm looking forward to (other than The Hobbit trilogy of course) is Oz: The Great and Powerful and that's because of Saimi Raimi (though I'll admit the second trailer really made me cringe. "I can't die, I haven't accomplished anything yet"? Another fantasy centered around a prophecy? The only thing that keeps me optimistic is that Raimi has a knack for giving charm to even the most cheesiest things). The animation lineup is looking way more interesting with Frozen, Del Toro's Pinocchio and Selick's The Graveyard Book.

It's seems like when it comes to remaking foreign films, Hollywood takes them really seriously. Getting William Monohan to write the script for Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was a great idea and even though Charlize Theron has a knack for picking a lot of stinkers when the occasion calls for it she can really deliver.

I grew up with Flight of the Navigator, but I'll be the first to admit it hasn't aged well at all. A remake could easily improve upon the original (or it could become even cheesier, as was apprantly the case with Red Dawn).

Not familiar with most of the names in line for the Guardians of the Galaxy film. Then again, so far Marvel studios has been great with picking the right actor for the right role in their films, with not a single actor feeling miscast. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy more than I ever expected to. Although I've liked all of Marvel Studio's films it's nice to see them branching out with something that's more out there.

Your last line in that Reese Witherspoon and Naomi Watts news is probably what's going to happen. Oscars love biopics and both of those films look like perfect oscar baits.

Nov 30 - 11:32 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Dec 1 - 12:19 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Dec 1 - 07:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Computet animated fantasy films by Disney: Tangled, Brave.

Live action fantasies by Disney: Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Dec 2 - 08:37 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Ahem, Brave is PIXAR.

Dec 2 - 04:02 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Dec 3 - 05:16 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Dec 4 - 06:48 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I've always thought Naomi Watts casting has been crazy wild like this. In the Impossible she is portraying a Spanish Woman, and In The Ring the original character was a mid 40's asian Man. This casting isn't that wiered for her it's just business. Films demand diversity be made Pretty little and White.

Dec 1 - 09:01 AM

Ronnie Harvey

Ronnie Harvey

It actually makes me happy that a movie like "The Town That Dreaded Sundown" is being remade. I would rather they remake films that I have never heard about then movies that I love. Films that were not able to find there way the first time around should be remade.

Dec 1 - 09:31 AM

Ronnie Harvey

Ronnie Harvey

Dec 1 - 09:31 AM

Stephen Florentine

Stephen Florentine

"The Town That Dreaded Sundown" most certainly was based on a true story and unlike "Chainsaw" followed the events pretty closley. There were definitely deviations and some unnecessary comics scenes but a lot of the scenes in the film were portrayed exactly as they happened.

Dec 1 - 09:48 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Thanks for that correction - thought the story was fictional because otherwise... why wouldn't MGM just say the movie was based upon the true story? True stories are frequently retold, but usually not called "remakes." Hence the confusion.

Dec 1 - 01:56 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Dec 1 - 10:57 AM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dec 3 - 11:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Atta boy! Look at you reading and stuff.

Supposed by who?

"just make them all two hours and not three"

"He's adding stuff from the appendices you say?"

Did I?

But you sound like you got it so together already.

Dec 3 - 07:13 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Dec 1 - 10:58 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 1 - 10:47 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Dec 1 - 01:56 PM

Jason Sills

Jason Sills

They should make a movie where that robot ship from Flight of the Navigator and Johnny 5 from Short Circuit battle to the death for E.T.'s love.

Dec 1 - 02:05 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel