Weekly Ketchup: Familiar Names Return for X-Men: Days of Future Past

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes movie development news stories for such films as Disney's live action Cinderella, a remake of Flight of the Navigator, a Marvin Gaye biopic, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, and the sixth movie based upon Marvel's X-Men comic book characters. There's also new roles for George Clooney, Charlize Theron, and Reese Witherspoon. Back to Article

Comments

Augustine Chin

Augustine Chin

the most exciting news this week is the remakes of the South Korean trilogy - especially oldboy. those films are amazing and charlize theron is actually the perfect actress to cast in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Dec 1 - 04:21 PM

John Gagnon

John Gagnon

So tired of all the crap X-Men movies.

Dec 1 - 07:39 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Unless their animated films are hand-drawn, then I'll gladly focus on them. If not, then I'll look forward more to their live-action ones.

Dec 1 - 07:58 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Computet animated fantasy films by Disney: Tangled, Brave.

Live action fantasies by Disney: Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

To each his own, but I think Disney has had a much better track record with their animated fantasies (whether hand drawn or CGI) than their live action ones.

Dec 2 - 08:37 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Ahem, Brave is PIXAR.

And I hope you're not implying that Alice in Wonderland was bad (it's not Burton's best, but unlike the wonderful 2D one, his had a PLOT).

Dec 2 - 04:02 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Disney owns everything. I came home yesterday and found out Disney owns my house. They plan to install mouse ears on it next week.

Dec 3 - 05:16 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Really? Then do elaborate Lance what the plot for the 2D Alice in Wonderland was, exactly.

Dec 4 - 06:48 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oh no I think as films the Hobbit will be rated and should be rated very high because Peter Jackson is a fantastic film maker, as far as watching the story The Hobbit unfold I think the concern is what we will really be getting. Because a 200 page book being a 9 hour film epic seems so Odd you know?

Dec 1 - 10:47 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Nice, I don't have the TTDS VHS but I do have the original one-sheet hanging in my dining room. (Yes, dining room)

Recently heard Shout Factory is releasing a BluRay in '13!

Dec 2 - 04:43 AM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Hey, if you want the VHS tape you could have it! Still plays great! Unless you really want the Blu-Ray of course.

Shout! Factory needs to get on Fox's ass to release the BATMAN show, that's what I've been waiting for forever. Even with Warner Bros. officially now given merchandising rights, still no sign. Are they gunning for a 50th anniversary release you think?

Dec 2 - 04:38 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

A symphony of yawns. X-men has potential of course, and yet with a few exceptions I find the potential of this series has been squandered so far. None of the films were bad, but I can't remember much about them either.

Dec 2 - 05:37 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Computet animated fantasy films by Disney: Tangled, Brave.

Live action fantasies by Disney: Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Dec 2 - 08:37 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'll give any Mark Romanek project a chance, even a silly "Cinderella" film. I'l far less concerned about the "Vengence" trilogy remakes, and much more eager to see Park Chan-wook's new horror film "Stoker". And I'll also give Andrew Dominik's "Blonde" a chance, but I don't think Watts bears much of a Monroe resemblence.

I don't care for either one of the Marvin gaye projects. Kravitz has built a career off of humping the Rock Gods of old (Hendrix, Lennon, T. Rex and whoever else he's bitten), but he sure ain't no Marvin. However he might be better than Terrence Howard. I'm still amazed how awful he was in "Red Tails", plus he doesn't look too much like Gaye.

I prefer remakes of bad old movies over attempts to remake the classics. Give these young filmmakers something to work with. Somebody think they can make a decent film out of "The Sentinel"?

"Flight of the Navigator" was no "D.A.R.Y.L.".

Dec 2 - 10:26 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Ahem, Brave is PIXAR.

Dec 2 - 04:02 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Dec 2 - 04:38 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Yawn

Dec 2 - 06:12 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I agree, absolutley nothing!

Dec 3 - 12:11 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

My, what a scintillating addition to the conversation :-)

Dec 5 - 05:02 PM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

What a sad, sheltered little boy. Out here in the real world, it's actually one of the most anticipated films of the year. By "someone", I presume.

Dec 3 - 11:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Atta boy! Look at you reading and stuff.

"is supposedly full of flashbacks about the dwarves and other stuff that has nothing to do with Tolkien's first novel"

Supposed by who?

"So that "someone" is being fooled and robbed of his good, hard-earned money to see a movie in a series that is ALREADY IN POST PRODUCTION and therefore has ENDED."

All of the films were shot together, and the three-film format was planned back even when Del Toro was slated to direct.
"just make them all two hours and not three"

The Hobbit looks to be about 2 hours 40 minutes. I doubt this trilogy will be anywhere near the total running time of LOTR.

"He's adding stuff from the appendices you say?"

Did I?

"Two films, yeah way to go, I'll see them, but if it ends abruptly without completing the whole Hobbit book's story, and if I have to wait another 6 months to see the rest of it, I'm just gonna snap."

But you sound like you got it so together already.

Dec 3 - 07:13 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dec 3 - 11:28 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I agree, absolutley nothing!

Dec 3 - 12:11 PM

Sean Kelley

Sean Kelley

I am kind of offended at the story claiming Naomi Watts and Reese Witherspoon are too old for their roles. They don't have to be the exact age of the subject to portray youth. They're acting. In fact, theater companies almost always cast about ten years older than the character (i.e. Romeo is played by 28 year olds). They do this because older and more experienced actors can do the character justice in a way that younger people without distance from their own emotional situation cannot. Also, what are women supposed to do? Wait around to play moms? That situation is unacceptable.

Dec 3 - 12:22 PM

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson

"Town That Dreaded Sundown" scared the crap outta me when I was 12 or so. It's kinda silly now, but I assure you there are a ton of fans out there who are applauding Scream Factory for acquiring the rights to it. Expect a whole new generation of horror fans to discover it.

Dec 3 - 12:38 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Dec 3 - 05:16 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday