X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

½ September 10, 2014
Awesome movie! Probably my favourite prequel of all time. I thought that it was a great entry to the x-men series. It also inspired to make the sequel (X-Men Days of Future Past).
½ April 30, 2016
Overall Grade: A (91%)
Notes: X-Men done right, most comic book the X-Men have been so far, a huge step-up and terrific storyline plus soundtrack.
April 30, 2016
Having grown up with X-Men movies that had James Marsden and co, I was initially disappointed with the entire cast being changed (sans Hugh). But this movie turned out to be a complete masterpiece. My only complaint is that it's too long, but it hits all the right points an X-Men movie should have. We need more masterpieces like these!
½ April 27, 2016
Better than advertised
June 20, 2011
I thought that it was a nice touch to make an X-men film with a completely new cast and to set it in the 60's. It's good to see that, although lot's of these superhero films are so similar, they are at least trying to shake things up a little. I quite enjoyed this despite Mcavoy being in it so much.
½ August 14, 2013
Review coming soon...
½ April 21, 2016
I didn't get much out of it first time, but it did have a fairly decent backstory with Xavier and Erik. The other mutants and their younger versions of themselves did give a pretty good kick to this film. It's swell ending stole much of the show. I found one or two of the mutant's powers a bit underrated and cheesy, like Bashee's scream ability. While I may have first thought that the actor choice for each of the main characters were a bit off, their talent and their character personality acts were more well done if anything. Pretty decent installment overall involving how the X-men name came to be.
½ April 21, 2016
X-Men: First Class is well structured, written and features some great performances. This film is an awesome prequel for the X-Men franchise and it is a lot of fun and has a nice old school touch to it as well.

What I loved was the casting (for the most part). James McAvoy as Charles Xavier is perfect, his performance is believable and strong. Michael Fassbender as Erik Lensherr/Magneto is awesome and powerful too. The rest of the cast is also great such as Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique who surprisingly did a good job as well as Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw who is very menacing.

I also love the setting and retro feel to it. This film honestly feels like a different movie rather than this explosion extravaganza. This film has some humorous moments as well as dark ones.

My negatives is that I thought January Jones was very boring as Emma Frost, it looked like she wasn't even trying and she was just an awful choice to play the character. That's about it, the only other negative I can think of is that it was a little bit too long but considering this film is paced excellently it really doesn't matter too much.

X-Men: First Class is an awesome entry into X-Men franchise and I had an amazing time watching this movie. The characters' banter and dialogue is great, the story is well put together and the overall structure of everything was well done. Matthew Vaughn please direct another X-Men film!
½ May 22, 2014
A quasi-reboot that significantly, stylishly advances the ongoing formula of the franchise along with its vast amount of characters and puts forward a mixed but suitably progressive storyline which is in the best sense of words, 'First Class.'
½ April 17, 2016
It's a wanna watch prequel
½ April 28, 2012
Great entertainment and great character work, but very disjointed; the tone bounces from traumatic holocaust experience to goofy teenagers and pacing is unsurprisingly off too, particularly at the end when a decent build up of tension deflates seems to run out of movie and plots points are crammed in. The goofiness can be fun and the retro setting works well with this (apart from the odd treatment of women and ethnic minorities in a film about equality), but this is the closest the series has come to placing style above substance. When at it's best though the two leads as young versions of Xavier and Magneto creating an electric relationship right out of the pages of the comics, and worthy successors to their previous on-screen iterations. Sadly, this is less than the sum of its parts.
August 13, 2012
one of few amazing prequels. Thumbs up for McAvoy and Fassbender
April 14, 2016
After X-Men: The Last Stand being a disappointment for fans, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine making the fans angry, it was probably that time where people lost hope for a good X-Men film to come out. That is until 2 later after X-Men Origins: Wolverine when Matthew Vaughn is the director and co-writer of the next X-Men film, with Bryan Singer involved as a co-story writer and producer, three new writers, and another co-story writer as they created a much better X-Men film that is better than the previous films. The new cast like James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hoult did an amazing job of playing a younger version of the characters that was played as in the previous films. Rose Byrne is good in this, and Kevin Bacon is a very fitting villain that is very intimidating. It actually creates great character development that I actually know a lot and care about the characters, which is something that none of the X-Men films before this either didn't do a great job, or just didn't focus on, even though there are some good character moments in some of the previous films. The effects are really good, and the score by Henry Jackman is great to listen to with some exciting action pieces, and emotional pieces that are effective. The action is a lot of fun to watch, the story by Sheldon Turner and Bryan Singer is well developed, and the writing by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz, Jane Goldman, and Matthew Vaughn. The direction by Matthew Vaughn is fantastic that I'm glad that he actually cared about making a good X-Men film after criticizing Brett Ratner's direction on X-Men: The Last Stand. The chemistry between Xavier and Erik is really good that you can definitely see the friendship that they have until it starts to fall apart a bit when they have different opinions about humans. X-Men: First Class returned to high form for the series and it helped create X-Men: Days of Future Past.
½ June 1, 2011
Superb reboot of the X-franchise, thanks to an excellent cast (Fassbender & McAvoy's chemistry displays the lost friendship of Prof. X & Magneto), able direction from Vaugh & a respect for the source material other comic book adaptations lack. The return to the theme of mutants as outsiders, along with embracing the 1960's style (it play like an early Bond film) gives the film a distinctive look. The rushed production & storytelling does keep it from being perfect but retains more heart than other films, along with being the best comic book movie of 2011 (a pretty good year, in retrospect).
April 11, 2016
This is personally my favourite X-Men film out as it shows most of the origin stories of our favourite X-Men characters. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender put in some excellent performances and they really portray the character of Charles Xavier, as he is really connected to his fellow mutants and wants them to become the best they can be, and Erik Lensherr who has a dark side to him has he semi-betrays Charles due to his personal affairs with Sebastian Shaw. This film has an engaging story line as well as showing how the team becomes a family and that friendship can really help when working together. Overall, I definitely recommend to watch the film as the origins are very clear of who what is happening so people of all ages can understand.
April 7, 2016
Yes!! X-Men is back!! Thank you, Matthew Vaughn! Thank you!! This is probably the second best X-Men film, after "X2." This movie finally returns to the great direction that the two first X-Men movies had. Matthew Vaughn takes this franchise and gives us a prequel that is definitely worthy to be a part of this universe, unlike the s**tpieces like "X-Men: The Last Stand" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." The acting in this movie is great and the casting of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as, basically, young versions of Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are great and you totally believe that these characters will grow up to become those two lovable comicbook characters in the future. This is a great way to invest fans - old and new - into the universe of the mutants and a great prequel to one of the best superhero movie franchises ever.
½ April 6, 2016
Actually my favorite x men movie until days of future past came out. The cast and director gave this film a beating soul that really shined throughout the film. Brilliant set up for a new trilogy of young x men.
April 1, 2016
Great re charge to the franchise. The origin story with this cast works very well. Much better than previous film
April 8, 2012
The best X-Men Movie.
March 13, 2011
Guess what I'm going to see on my birthday!!!!