Five Favorite Films with Ellen Fox

Summary

Earlier this year, Rotten Tomatoes and Current TV took a chance and launched a movie review television show unlike any other: one based on the myriad viewpoints and opinions of the moviegoers themselves. The Rotten Tomatoes Show, now 25 weeks old, has proven to be a success, featuring webcam reviews submitted by viewers, Current TV and RT community members, film critics, and filmmakers. However, another big reason for its success is the chemistry and wit of its hosts, Ellen Fox and Brett Erlich. Some may recognize Fox from her few small film roles, or from her days as a film critic herself for The Chicago Tribune, but in The Rotten Tomatoes Show she has found a new home, and she's one of the big reasons the show works. Ellen took some time out of her schedule to share her Five Favorite Films with us, so have a look, and say hello to one of RT's newest friends. Back to Article

Comments

JohnnyJonJon

Jonathan Groen

Odd choices, but I love your descriptions!

Sep 1 - 04:53 PM

Auguman

Auguman .

Xanadu? r u Serious? Well, I'm not fan of musicals, but even so, only GWTW is a good movie from her selection in my opinion, 'cause haven't seen singing in the rain.

Sep 1 - 04:56 PM

snickerskicker

Richard Crismore

Why don't you like The Wizard of Oz? No normal American childhood is complete without it!

Sep 1 - 05:21 PM

Auguman

Auguman .

Good Point. Guess I forgot to see it from a child's perspective!

Sep 1 - 05:41 PM

Johnny A

Johnny A

I think you picked a common thread that runs through all these movies. What that thread exactly is, I won't try to guess. The choices were a surprise, but amusing. My best friend even forced me to watch Bring It On for the very reason you put it on your list. While I'm no bigger of a fan of cheerleaders, I did appreciate the half-nakedness of Dunst and Eliza Dushku.
Wolverines!

Sep 1 - 05:12 PM

snickerskicker

Richard Crismore

Sep 1 - 05:21 PM

Auguman

Auguman .

Good Point. Guess I forgot to see it from a child's perspective!

Sep 1 - 05:41 PM

Auguman

Auguman .

Good Point. Guess I forgot to see it from a child's perspective!

Sep 1 - 05:41 PM

AntonChigurh

Chris Scharlau

The RT show is just awful.

Sep 1 - 05:55 PM

Matthew

Matthew Watts

Sep 1 - 07:26 PM

AntonChigurh

Chris Scharlau

Sep 1 - 07:52 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

I love the intellectual exchange. I detect some tongue in cheek; she's obviously playing off our expectations of what a woman who looks like her would like. Or, conversely, I haven't seen the rotten tomatoes show yet, having Canadian satellite, so she might actually just be a ditz.

@Gordon: you seem to be making more sense by the day. I too have a movie I would place in my fave five that I couldn't defend from an aesthetic standpoint. Dave Chapelle's magnum opus: Half-Baked. I've seen that movie hundreds of time and I still can't stop laughing.

So many quotes: "So do you guys believe in Angels?" (said while breaking the ice at a table full of massive black convicts) "Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Sep 1 - 08:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Now I HAVE to see Half Baked!

Sep 2 - 12:03 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

screw everyone......no? yeah?

Sep 2 - 05:20 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Sep 2 - 05:21 AM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

I wouldn't say the show is terrible, but the hosts I do have a problem with. Unless they straight up say whether they liked a movie or not I can never tell if they liked it or they didn't. They make so many lame jokes to the point where I can't take them seriously when they try to talk about the movie their reviewing. I think they need better hosts.

Sep 2 - 09:44 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Who?

Sep 1 - 06:31 PM

WALT

walter calderon

bring it on was a horrible movie

Sep 1 - 06:49 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

very mainstream; honest.
XANADU. Everyone has "one;" a movie they love that "most people" hate.

someone said, SISTER ACT 2 was the best movie they'd ever saw. and they were dead-serious;

Figure their brain is wired to like Sister Act 2,

my brain is wired to like Zombie Flesh Eaters

and Ellen Fox's brain is wired to like Xanadau

if interchanged, all three movies "suck" royally to all three people.

Sep 1 - 06:56 PM

Matthew

Matthew Watts

Sep 1 - 07:26 PM

AntonChigurh

Chris Scharlau

Sep 1 - 07:52 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

Sep 1 - 08:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Now I HAVE to see Half Baked!

Sep 2 - 12:03 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

screw everyone......no? yeah?

Sep 2 - 05:20 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Sep 2 - 05:21 AM

Keith Fierro

Keith Fierro

Great to see a movie with 300 sequels up there.

Sep 1 - 07:29 PM

AntonChigurh

Chris Scharlau

Sep 1 - 07:52 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

Sep 1 - 08:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Now I HAVE to see Half Baked!

Sep 2 - 12:03 AM

Sleazy E

Elisha Lansdale

Wow, what a great list. Not to say I agree with it, but its nice to see a top movies list based on how they made you feel when you saw them and still do when you pop them in the dvd player(or blue ray, or whatever the kids have nowadays). I am glad that Ellen had the bravery to admit to Bring It On and Xanadu in public. I don't think most of us could take the scorn

I agree with Ellen on the Rotten Tomatoes show 95% of the time(Basically, her review of the Hannah Montana movie was the only time I took Bretts side over her). You guys rock!

Sep 1 - 07:53 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

Sep 1 - 08:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Now I HAVE to see Half Baked!

Sep 2 - 12:03 AM

steve s.

steve smith

she made up a stupid list to get keyboards lit up. no way could these
really be her 5 favorites. just no way

Sep 1 - 08:44 PM

Leslie F.

Leslie Fox

I think this is an honest list. It's part of what's 'unknowable' to understand WHY certain films have a particular effect on us - and I think we never lose that special affection for certain films or stories of our 'awakening'. To this day, my favorite film is "Since You Went Away" (Selznick). Have I seen wonderful (and likely even BETTER films) since seeing that one at 13? of course..but, if I had to pick JUST ONE, SYWA would hold the Top Spot on MY favorites list. Remember, it's a list of FAVORITES not necessarily 'BEST' films!

Sep 2 - 07:19 PM

King Kubrick

Travis Earl

This is dead on. They're not asking her to name the five best films of all time, just the ones she most prefers.

Sep 2 - 07:25 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Sep 1 - 10:14 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Marijuana's not a drug I used to suck dick for coke"

Now I HAVE to see Half Baked!

Sep 2 - 12:03 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

screw everyone......no? yeah?

Sep 2 - 05:20 AM

BigEarn

Jeff Earnhart

Sep 2 - 05:21 AM

thereign

lance berry

The fact that Ellen placed Xanadu as her first pick automatically negates the importance of every other film on her list. I don't care if she listed the Godfather, Dark Knight, Se7en and the original Star Wars as her faves...I simply can't respect her now.

I really, really, really miss Jen Yamato and the Review Revue.

Sep 2 - 05:50 AM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress