Weekly Ketchup: "Superman," "X-Men," "Transformers" and More!
Also spicing up the rumor week, Peter Jackson has been mentioned as the director of the Jackie Chan/Jet Li vehicle based on "Journey to the West." A few "Transformers" character pictures were leaked to tease anyone that's looking forward to next summer's blockbuster. What else struck our readers' fancies this week? A purple-haired "Harry Potter" babe, naturally. Read on for more.
Banding together for their next "Last Stand"
This Week's Most Popular News:
Will "Superman Return" Again?
By now it's pretty much a well-accepted fact that Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" didn't do the kind of box office that Warner Bros. was expecting. That's not a knock on the movie, but the thing's still struggling to hit $200 million, and some industry insiders were predicting the flick would tally that much in only a week or two. But, of course, there's always sequel considerations...
"X-Men 4" Still Definitely Not Happening, Maybe
Remember all that talk about "Nope, no fourth X-Men movie, seriously"? Well, it's only been about a month, which means that the new sequel chit-chat from the X-producers is now arriving exactly on schedule.
Peter Jackson to Direct Jet Li/Jackie Chan Pic?
As if the thought of Jet Li and Jackie Chan starring in a film together isn't enough to get us excited, rumor has it that the pic might be helmed by one of the biggest directors around. How big? Peter Jackson big!
"Transformers" Pics: Less Than Meets the Eye?
Hey, here's something fun to do for about nine seconds: Check out a pair of new "Transformers" character pics and then decide for yourself if A) they're real, B) they're fake, C) you really give a wet slap either way.
Harry Potter and the Purple-Haired Honey
The names Natalia Tena and Nymphador Tonks mean absolutely nothing to me, but they were both recently spotted on the set of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." And there's a Potter-crazy fansite that has the pics to prove it.
In Other News:
- Daniel Craig has joined "Casino Royale" co-star Eva Green and Nicole Kidman in "The Golden Compass," the first installment of an intended trilogy based on Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials."
- Jose Canseco's controversial book "Juiced" has been optioned for the big screen by Nine Yards Entertainment. Kipp Marcus, who starred as "Kip" on the 80s comedy "The New Leave It To Beaver," will adapt the screenplay. No word yet whether Mark McGwire will collaborate, or if Canseco will portray himself.
- Billy Zane is set to star in "The Mad" about a doctor and his daughter who are terrorized by flesh-eating zombies at a truck stop (Now why haven't I though of something like that?).
- Josh Brolin has joined cast of "American Gangster" with Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington, about the real-life Vietnam vet who transported narcotics in the coffins of dead soldiers. Ridley Scott will direct.
- As reported several weeks ago, Haley Joel Osment was hospitalized after wrecking his car. It now appears that he was under the influence of some naughty substances, as he was charged with drunken driving and possession of marijuana and could face up to six months in jail.
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the IRS have reached an agreement regarding those swanky gift baskets. This years recipients will also receive tax forms with their gift baskets, while the Academy has opted to discontinue the baskets in future ceremonies.
- Wilmer Valderrama will produce and possibly star in "PartyBuddys" about the real life company that offers the lay person the chance to experience the celebrity lifestyle for a night.
- Darren Aronofsy is set to direct "Black Flies," based on the Shannon Burke novel about an emergency medical technician in Harlem.
- Spike Lee's Hurricane Katrina documentary opened in the New Orleans Arena on Wednesday, with thousands of viewers attending.