X-Men

X-Men Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 27, 2007
Everyone these days talks about how great Spider-Man, Batman Begins, or Superman Returns is, but they forget about the one film that made superhero movies popular again. Back when X-Men came out, I was blown away. I'd never seen a comic book movie have so much substance. The action was fantastic and this brand new talent named Hugh Jackman was destined to be a star.
The story revolves around a school for gifted youngsters. The general population refers to them as mutants, but they're really just like everyone else. Some of these "mutants" use the special power they've been given for good. They learn to harness their abilities and let them come out only when it is necessary. These extraordinary people are led by Charles Xavier, played by Patrick Stewart.
Of course, there's another side to all of this. There are those who are using their unique traits for evil. Because of all of the hatred toward the mutants, the villains want to make everyone in the world a mutant. Their leader is Erik Lensherr, played by Ian McKellan, who is the perfect foil to Stewart's good natured character.
Our main characters are that of a wide eyed girl, Anna Paquin, and a battle hardened soldier, Hugh Jackman. Both come to the school for gifted youngsters looking for answers or possibly a new life. Like the audience, they're new to this world of mutants and aren't sure of what to make of their "super" powers.
Through the course of the film, we run into many other mutants, both good and evil. Each one has a purpose and there's a reason for their inclusion in the movie. It's easy to have a favorite character and I'm sure you'll have one by the end of the movie. The fun and adventure is pretty infectious.
One thing I've noticed about X-Men is that it seems to have been overshadowed and tossed aside because of all the other great movies of this genre that have come out since. Many people think that the sequel to this was even better, but true fans know otherwise. Each character, while we may not see much of them, has their own little scene. You'll remember them for something they do, even if they have just a few minutes of screen time.
X-Men is the perfect superhero movie. It has everything you want in that category and more. The fact that it ends up being an allegory for something in today's society only adds to the greatness of this story. You don't have to love these kinds of movies to love X-Men and that's one of the reasons why I loved it so much. I just wish they could make them like this all of the time. Stars 10-2007 (Updated)
KJ P

January 11, 2010
I think they could have doen a little more, but it is a classic superhero flick in my eyes! I love how much they tried and succeeded with this great film. One of the best attempts of bringing a team of superheroes to life on the big screen. I enjoyed every bit of this film and I was left wanting so much more. The action sequences are great, the plot is quite intriguing, it's funny, engaging and just an awesome flick all around. Now this is what you call an entertaining film. Great movie!
Phil H

August 25, 2007
Well this certainly feels a bit dated these days, the very first X-Men film, the backbone of the modern comicbook adaptations craze, the one that started it all. Had this film not done as well as it did then we possibly wouldn't have all the superhero flicks we have today. Heck just looking at the films poster shows how far this genre has come, its positively awful, bland and extremely unimaginative, the two groups just standing there against a city skyline, eh?

I remember this coming out back in the day and I recall pretty much poo pooing it as an obvious looking lazy CGI filled cheese fest. Upon seeing the film I didn't actually like it all that much, mainly I think down to the lack of decent action. Low and behold yet again my personal tastes have changed with age and I find myself actually appreciating this film a lot more now. The plot naturally includes the origins of certain main characters and the introduction of the X-Men lead by 'Charles Xavier' and his school for the gifted (mutants). We are also introduced to the bad mutants lead by 'Magneto' and his dastardly plan to turn all the world leaders into mutants presumably so they know what its like to be a mutant.

'Storm? Sabretooth?...What do they call you? 'Wheels'? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard'

The general plot may be simple but I do like the easy to understand similarities with real time age old issues such as prejudice discrimination and plain racism. Magneto's ('Erik Lehnsherr') family were German Jewish and killed by the Nazi's during WWII, so he had first hand experience of the effects a madman can have in power, himself being a Holocaust survivor. Ironically though Magneto himself turns into the thing he once survived and fought against as here he wants to exterminate the human race to protect the mutant race. Whilst Xavier wants to gain peace between humans and mutants Magneto is constantly trying to start a race war between them, not too subtle but hey it works.

The main thing I notice with this first film in retrospect is how much dialog there is and how little kickass action there is. There is a heck of a lot of exposition to take in as we learn about the various characters and their individual flaws and powers etc...But that's not to say its boring, not at all, its actually delivered very well and you want to know more, meet more mutants and see their powers. The action is sporadic and not exactly top dollar in all honesty, we mainly see 'Wolverine' getting into the odd scrap, mutants going up against the police but not killing any and the finale at the Statue of Liberty gives us some semi decent one on one action but the CGI and wire work is pretty hokey to be fair. Prime example being the scene where Wolverine does a 360 spin around a section of the Statue using his claw...looks real nasty.

Most of the characters are really well visualised and well cast there's no denying that, twas the worry at first, that these guys would all look ridiculous in their silly costumes. But no! almost every character is realistically designed and performed. The main three of course being Stewart, McKellen and Jackman all brilliantly cast adding such a classy authentic epic feel to the comicbook tomfoolery, Jackman being the main surprise as he was completely unknown. At the same time Marsden, Berry and Janssen also come across in a surprisingly believable fashion, none of these actors ever really come across as hammy which is some feat in this. The only characters that let the side down visually has to be 'Toad' and 'Sabretooth' both of whom look totally daft.

I'm not an X-Men fanboy so I don't know the ins and outs of the franchise but some things I do find a bit silly. For a start Toad is just a pointless character, his tongue, jumping and spitting green goo are his mutant super powers?? how is he useful? how does he crush a human by jumping on him? and why include him in this film?! The main main running quibble I have throughout has to be the invincibility thing going on. Wolverine especially is virtually unbeatable, you can't kill the guy so it seems pointless to have him fight at all, we know he can't die or get hurt. Then there's the fact that most mutants seems to be super strong...but why? OK they have unique powers but is a side effect to this automatically having super strength because they all have it apparently. How come Magneto can fly? he can manipulate metal but how does that enable him to fly? and how the hell does 'Rogue' get through even one day without being able to touch another human? Her super mutant power seems utterly pointless and more of a curse than anything surely as she can kill real easy.

In the end the film does start to crack towards the finale as things do get a tad stupid, inconsistencies with mutant power abilities, the fact no one notices all the commotion going on at the Statue of Liberty, all the destruction, 'Mystique' doubling as the Senator but showing her yellow eyes etc...I guess the main thing that made me think was simply...Magneto is kinda right, mutants should be very weary of humans, maybe not wipe them out but you can kinda see his angle, humans are a violent dangerous unpredictable species. On the other hand I dunno why he worries so much because in any war the mutants would win hands down.

The film isn't your standard comicbook flick gotta give it that, its not light-hearted silly kids stuff, there is a good solid serious tone to everything that does combine well with this material. Dealing with mutants as people who are treated differently because of their looks or abilities is a strong concept that many will relate to. Visually everything generally is quite realistic and doesn't look like a comicbook movie. The black leather outfits, big rich 'Wayne Manor-like' X-Men school, fancy super hi-tech gadgets/equipment and big black super jet are all cliched sure but obviously you need some fun fantasy elements. Despite being 14 years old this film still holds up well today and even better it still blends in with the whole X-Men franchise which has since moved on big time.
Edward B

February 2, 2007
The success of X-Men began the comic book movie craze, so it's significance is undeniable. As a movie, it feels more like the obligatory pilot episode. It puts all the pieces into place, sets up the themes, and introduces some great characters. The lame action scenes, wonky dialogue, and vaguely explored social issues keep it from being a great stand alone film, but it sets the stage for a great franchise.
Eugene B

May 6, 2013
A strong cast, keen director and uncanny story. X-Men is entertaining in exposing moviegoers to the world of mutants. Bryan Singer's vision of this Marvel adaptation is crisp and simple, but yet terrific in more ways than one. A great summer blockbuster that's tasteful for all audiences. 4/5
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Mutants and humans can't live together. There's always prejudices.
TheGame90
TheGame90

August 12, 2008
This is exacly what it should be....maybe not rogue...
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
X-MEN was a huge thrill ride of a motion picture. During the first ten minutes, I wasn't too sure about it, and I wasn't sure how I was liking the idea of hatred and near-brutal disrespect toward "mutants" (one of whom is a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, as shown in the beginning, another exploit of hatefulness that angered me), but by the beginning of the second half, I was at the definite conclusion that X-MEN (beyond the discrimination it portrays) is a fantastic feature that has a lot to offer: action, great acting; a well-explained plot full of twists, turns, humorous and clever steaks, and even emotions such as sorrow, love, hatred (see above), revenge, betrayal...you name it, I guarantee you you'll find what you want in X-MEN, especially if you're looking for an action/sci-fi flick that isn't quite the cheesy "superhero" tale.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
This movie is boss. If you don't like it, go get checked.
Jason R

June 30, 2011
Cheesy at times but always entertaining. Overall, a solid start to a now classic series. Without Hugh Jackman though, there wouldn't be much here.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
The movie that started the new wave of Marvel films, long before SpiderMan, actually didn't age all that well. It's biggest assets are still an outstanding cast, with Hugh Jackman turning out to be the perfect Wolverine, and a rather serious, almost dramatic approach to the superhero and especially the mutant theme. Bryan Singer portrayed those powers as more of a curse than a gift and delivered a rather dark film, where character development is more important than action, taking its characters seriously, not delivering a puppet show like Schumacher's Batman films. Still a brave effort 11 years later, but of course overtaken by later films.
Christopher H

June 11, 2011
Director Bryan Singer gives audiences a good introduction to the X-men universe. The film does a good job in presenting the world of X-men in a way that is believable and seemingly realistic. The movie provides plenty of thrilling action while at the same time providing a story that is intriguing but nothing special. The only big flaw with the story is that Wolverine is given too much focus, robbing other characters of screen time. The cast is very well rounded, everybody seems to fit their part well. Hugh Jackman was born to play Wolverine. Despite the flaws, X-men amounts to a very good superhero movie.
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

June 11, 2011
It was very cool when it first came out as the original X-men film. I enjoyed it a lot. Big range of characters, lots of action, best team of super heroes movie marvel has ever made. Well worth watching.
Everett J

June 5, 2011
Growing up an X-Men fan I always wanted to see a movie based on them. I can't remember another movie(maybe "Freddy vs Jason") I was more excited to see. At first I was a little disappointed because they changed so much around and excluded quite a few of my favorite mutants. But time has been kind to this movie, as eleven years later it remains a very solid beginning for the film franchise. Hell, it kicked off the career of Hugh Jackman(who is the perfect Wolverine), and really kick started the whole comic book movie trend. The effects are sometimes a little cheesy, but they hold up quite well. I really love the Professor X/Magneto relationship. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen brought those two characters to life better than I could have ever imagined. While number two is the best of all the X-Men movies(haven't seen "First Class" yet though), this is still a very good and highly entertaining movie.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 2, 2011
An amazing film. You get a lot of action, a simple story, and some great acting. Hugh Jackman was born to play this role. I loved this movie.
Drake T

May 17, 2011
The problem here is that X-men is phenomenal source material, there are many ideas that you can come up with plot-wise to really bring out the authenticity and drama of it's setting.

So what kind of ridiculous machine that only Magneto can use changes people into mutants? He can just control metal, I'm not convinced that these powers can't be replicated in a machine that's suppose to activate the "mutant gene"

Let's assume it's very complicated, then how would Rogue know how to do it just by having his powers?

See? Fucking stupid. Ruined the whole movie for me which is a shame because there were a lot of good things happening with the film as well.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 30, 2011
The first X-Men based on the comics of the same name is a fairly impressive superhero film. However it's not without it's flaws. Compared to the second film, I thought that this film had a fairly thin story line to it that wasn't that great. The story was good, but it wasn't anything special. I thought that the plot could have used a bit more development and maybe a rewrite. But the overall idea is interesting and it leaves a lot for improvement, improvement that was accomplished with the sequel. I've never read the comics so I don't know if they captured all the elements which made the comic popular, but I know a bit of the comic and they kept the ideas fairly intact. But of course the filmmakers will take a few creative liberties to try and make a good film. X-Men certainly delivers, but lacks a bit at times. The film delivers good action and the cast do a good job, this film definitely is a solid first entry, but they built up on the formula of this film and crafted a more confident film with the second. The actors chosen to play the roles are well picked and deliver good performance. X-Men is an interesting film with good action a good story and good acting. But after you've seen it, you realize something is missing, that something could have been done better. But for what it's worth this is still an entertaining actioner despite the flaws, and this one that does thrill despite its somewhat simplistic formula.
Wildaly M

May 12, 2007
After having watched it again, I gotta say this was a great introduction into the world of X-men. The characters were beautifully portrayed and faithful to the original X-men. Although the Wolverine storyline it took never really appealed to me, it's not enough to make me stop loving the whole mutant gang itself.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 3, 2010
For Marvel Studios' first major film, this was a huge hit. A great first film not only for Marvel, but for the X-Men trilogy also. Filled with great action, a good story, a brilliant cast, and awesome special effects, this film delivers on all levels! A great superhero movie.