Xtro Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 20, 2013
Decent Alien Rip-off, Xtro doesn't cover new ground in terms of alien themed horror films, but is a fun little B movie that boasts some memorable moments. However I have seen far better rip-off of Alien and Xtro though somewhat entertaining, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what it could have been. I enjoyed the film for what it was, but felt it could have been a bit better. The performances were an aspect that could have greatly improved, however the gore effects is where the film excelled and they were quite good considering the budget of the film. Sci Fi horror fans may enjoy the camp value of Xtro, but they will surely feel that in terms of an Alien type horror yarn, it is a weak affair that is really only worth checking out once. Unlike its horrible sequels, this was actually quite entertaining and decent despite the fact that it was weak compared to others in this genre. The best way to view this film is as a guilty pleasure. The effects are the best thing about the film and it overcomes its slightly thin plot. Gore fans may enjoy I, but to those looking for great horror that is memorable and thrilling, you'll sadly be disappointed. This is a decent picture that delivers good effects, but leaves a lot to be desired from its weak plot. Expect something mildly amusing, and you may like it. I enjoyed the film, but I also felt it could have been much better as well, and there was plenty of room for improvement.
½ October 27, 2012
God-Awful!
WrenchLT
October 5, 2011
A bit of low-budget Alien fun from Britain. Not a great film of course but it has enough memorable moments to it, from a bit of Alien rape, cheesy gore effects, a boy able to give life to his toys and Marym d'Abo in the nude! Not as good as Inseminoid, but worth a look if you enjoy cheesy Alien films.
June 19, 2011
A cruel and absurd cinematic gem. Only a British film could be so off-beat and terrifying at the same time. It had the uncomfortable atmosphere of Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man. I was honestly expecting an Alien knock-off, but what I got was creative, if ludicrous filmmaking. Set in Britain, we see a man abducted by aliens. 3 years pass and everyone assumes he just left, though his son is plagued by nightmares. An alien arrives and starts killing and impregnating people. The alien pregnancy scene is horrific. It's so detailed and gruesome, it really does make the chestburster scene in Alien look quaint. Not much makes sense after that, but I enjoyed it all. It was some weird fucked up fantasy with a midget clown, toys coming to life, and dads sucking on their son's shoulders (don't ask). The effects are truly repulsive and fantastic. I pray for a return to films like this. CGI would have been so bland. It will take a morbid person to truly appreciate the humor and bizarre tone, but it's unlike so many films, where scenes of pure fantasy are played straight-faced and for real.
September 6, 2010
I really didn't care for this weird sci-fi alien movie, the story doesn't make much sense for one thing, and none of the actors are very good either. I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie.
366weirdmovies
½ April 1, 2010
A man mysteriously disappears for three years, then returns to the family he left behind changed. A British undercover alien movie that seems pretty standard, despite some exploitation money scenes, until the dwarf clown shows up, conks the nanny on the head with a rubber hammer, wraps her in a cocoon and uses her to incubate alien eggs. Not as interesting or iconic as Don Coscarelli's PHANTASM, but it has a very similar vibe.
Francisco G.
April 14, 2012
An actual interesting pice of trash cinema, creating a surprisingly effective horror-drama with the confusing abducted character giving a well thought and well acted role. Add some shocking sittings, horrid alien "rape" scenes and complete and unexplainable nonsense lucid dream sequences and it's already trash legend.

Props for the completly uneffective cheesy soundtrack that is actually pretty good but completly misses the point!
shitfaced8
September 21, 2011
Now this is a Horror movie. Pretty much has everything I look for in horror, and all at the same time. Gore, suspense, mystery, surrealism, humour, disturbingness etc. Not a dull moment to be found here. The whole thing comes off as the nightmare of the child. Not many other movies fit as much into 80 minutes as this one does. While not relying on gore fore scares, there is enough of it here to satisfy the gorehounds, but really this film works more fore it's imagery than anything else. The whole thing really is bizarre, and unlike anything else, even if it reminds you of a fuckload of your favourite movies at the same time. Good stuff for sure. A must see.
SteveStrange
February 13, 2009
This was a really a more believable alien encounter movie than CONTACT. I realize that's a radical statement. This is one of the best scii-fi/horror movies the Brits have made.
½ January 16, 2013
Really, really weird. Some of the imagery is creepy. Some parts are laughable. It's kind of a downer of a movie, but there aren't too many movies like it.
August 3, 2012
Xtro (1983) -- [4.0] -- As far as I could tell, "Xtro" is about a father who is abducted by aliens, then returned to his family as a strange alien-human hybrid. But I'm not sure. First, there's a weird crabby-looking monster in the woods, then it rapes a woman, then the woman gives birth to a fully-grown man (the single reason to see this movie), the man begins to spore and kill people, but then it appears that he just loves his son and wants to take him back into space with him? "Xtro" is a hot mess. But at least there are a lot of imaginative ideas swirling around in it. The director didn't do the film any favors by scoring it himself.
May 7, 2012
Like many films from my childhood, I rented or bought based on titles and box artwork alone and what could be cooler than a film that began with a letter "X" and featured a deadly, ugly-ass alien on the cover artwork? Far be it from me I was in store for one of the most schizophrenic, convoluted and all around fucked up films I had ever seen that would seriously screw up my whole outlook on life!
We open with a loving family vacationing in their village home when the father gets abducted by aliens. Years later, out of the blue, the father shows up again to rejoin his family. Two problems: 1) his wife has moved on with a new lover and 2) he is now a bloodsucking ugly fuck of an alien! Now daddy wants to change his son into a skeletal alien and take him to his new home, but not before he kills many people in gruesome ways along the way.

I can't explain how thoroughly fucked up this film is. First of all director Harry Bromley Davenport goes out of his way to make this one of the most gory, grotesque and nauseating films I have ever seen when it comes to bloody special effects effects. Blood is the name of the game and when you think Davenport can't out due himself, he shows a women, recently impregnated by an alien, give birth to our abducted father as a full grown man in mess of blood and guts flowing from between her legs. It's a jaw-dropping and gut-wrenching sequence that the film has become widely known for.

The plot is an absolute mess with crazy ass shit happening all over the place. Our abducted father melts phones, eats pet snakes but the film hits the 'bat shit' crazy button when our young boy brings his toy soldier to life to kill his bitch of a neighbor. Where the fuck did this scene come from? Hell a demonic midget and a black panther even make an appearance to make the audience think they've gone into complete hysteria!

The cast of British actors is surprisingly good for this type of gore flick (including the sexy future Bond girl Maryam d'Abo doing a full frontal nudity scene) and the film does have a really bleak, bizarre atmosphere that I dug, but I do suspect the atmosphere was all by complete accident. Overall "Xtro" is just a schizophrenic mess with everything but the kitchen sink thrown into the plot to shock and awe the audience. This schizo feel and bizarre atmosphere is actually what makes "Xtro" worth watching, if one can get past the awful screaming synthesizer soundtrack provided by none-other than the director himself. For fans of the fucked-up and bizarre, "Xtro" is definitely a must watch. Followed by two completely unrelated sequels.
March 13, 2010
Why haven't I "really" watched this movie before? Once upon a midnight dreary I tried to watch it and fell asleep. Then I bought it years and years ago and just never felt motivated to watch it. This movie is creepy, eccentric, original, and brilliantly executed. I read a review on IMDB which talked about how strange it is. Which finally made me just interested enough to find out what I've been missing this whole time.

Basically this kid's dad gets abducted and then returns home after 3 years. He plays like he doesn't know where he's been but all he's really after is the boy. He imbues his strange alien powers into the boy and after that the sky is the limit when it comes to the imagination of the writer. One thing I can't get over is how well done the creature effects were. Everything was unsettling to the eye, the kind of thing that makes your skin crawl. When was the last time a movie did that to you?

If you get the chance to see this movie don't wait 10 years like I did to finish it.
September 26, 2009
Okay Xtro is about an alien who comes to earth to do something I guess reproduce...I'm still not entirely sure. On the plus: it's creepy, the effects are pretty good, and acting is close to par. The negatives: the story drags at times, what Xtro is here for is not clearly explained, and there's one really gory scene involving a woman whose been impregnated. I'm all for gore, but the scene was intense. It was like a bad check, I didn't want to see it but, I couldn't look away. Anyway the movie is still decent and if you see and are into aliens check it out. Who knows you might like it.
½ August 23, 2007
I like B-Movies, always have, and very little shocks me. The alien birth sequence in this film, however, is possibly the most revolting ever put to film, and made me stop watching any further.
½ November 13, 2013
Finally! A movie that combines the fine romanticism of John Carpenter's Starman with the internal bleeding of Humanoids from the Deep. At least that is what I think what this film is like judging by the original movie poster it's about a monster that steals a pouty kid's chocolate milk. So for those of you who were blessed never seeing this giant hunk of elephant crap, Xtro is a 1983 alien horror film meant to capitalize on the good natureness of ET the Extra-Terrestrial. Some aliens want your Reese's Pieces; other aliens think you are just as delicious Reese's Pieces. I for one will stick with real "fuck you" ET movies, thank you very much, like John Carpenter's The Thing. Hell maybe a few years down the road this movie will have its own shitty prequel. So by now you may be asking yourself why I picked this as the next film to my Countdown to 200 and the answer is quite simple. I am a fucking moron! Apart from that, lately I've been expanding my horizons by watching foreign films for the past year. Low and behold; not only was this low-budgeted British movie a sci-fi flick, but it has spawned two more sequels with news of a fourth to come out sometime in the near future making this kind of a cult following. So after hearing about this I decided to run to my local Good Will Store, bought me a VHS copy, and enjoyed some horrendous acting followed by bizarre shit that even Ron Jeremy would get sick to his stomach from. So sit back and relax as I kick things off with my review on Xtro.

So the general plot of Xtro is about the horrific story of a British man who gets kidnapped by aliens, while his son witnesses the whole thing, and is returned three years later carrying infectious spores that have transformed him into a kind of crab thingy that causes all kinds of perverse sexual and violent mayhem.

The movie has a series of awkward moments in here from a boy who stares at his mother having sex in bed to aliens having the ability to use toy soldiers as killing machines. Not to mention the alien in this looks like a baby sized version of the Cloverfield monster that likes to impregnate dumb blondes and becomes reborn into a human. Philip Sayer plays the young boy named Sam and he is so blatantly stereotyped that I'm expecting a scene where Ebenezer Scrooge sends this kid down to the market to pick him up a goose. Bernice Stergers plays Rachel Phillips, the mother in this movie, whose acting is as bland as their cup of tea and has a haircut in every scene where it looks like Dudley Moore's Arthur after a forty-eight hour binge. There are also scenes where the actors talk off screen and you wouldn't even know where they are half the time. One positive thing that I will say about this is that this movie does start establishing things, but just at completely at random. Overall, this movie is a prime example of how much you can fuck up a sci-fi film and not care one bit what the general audience thinks about it. Take my advice and NEVER watch this movie, otherwise your mind will be infected the same way these aliens infect the people in this film. The only real question I'll be asking myself, for years to come, is what the hell is an Xtro?
February 22, 2009
XTRO (Harry Bromley Davenport, 1983)
[originally posted 27Mar2000]

In the world of 1983, everyone was happily proclaiming that alien life would be warm and happy, and would like to eat Reese's Pieces and mashed potatoes. Ridley Scott? Who's he? We remember the little guy with the healing touch and some greys who like to play Simon with a really, really big board.

Harry Bromley Davenport singlehandedly brought the menace back into extraterrestrial life with XTRO, a low-budget British film from 1983. I saw it once, upon release, and it scarred me for life. Of course, I was fourteen at the time, and I have often wondered whether I was exaggerating the brilliance of this little gem in my head when placing it in a position of prominence on my 100-best list. Thanks to the wonders of ebay, a copy came my way last week, and Saturday morning I had a chance to sit down and relive the wonderful world of nasty, disgusting aliens who like to abduct people and do extremely tasteless things to those still on earth.

It hasn't lost a beat. Sam Phillips (Philip Sayer, best known-how depressing-for Shanghai Surprise; his career was cut short when he died in a car crash in 1991) is a family man abducted by aliens when only his son (Simon Nash, who only made two more motion pictures, Breakout and Brazil, before going on to a TV career in the nineties) is around to see. Of course, his wife (British TV mainstay Bernice Stegers) assumes he's gone off and left them... until he shows up again three years later. How he gets from his alien abductors back home is the first twenty minutes of the film, a marvel of proto-splatterpunk low-budget effects making that must be seen to be believed-- assuming your stomach can handle some of the nastier bits.

In a reversal of what Sam Raimi had done two years previous in his classic The Evil Dead, Davenport dispenses with the gore early on, for the most part, and spends the rest of the movie building suspense. It's a tricky way to do things, since if you set the audience up with a gorefest for half an hour and then work on atmosphere, what most of your audience will leave saying is "good beginning, then it gets real slow." Again, this movie isn't for everyone-- along with an appreciation of fuzzy horror [viz. The Ninth Gate review for a definition] (especially in the soundtrack), you have to have the stomach for some of the gorier scenes and an appetite for the surreal (Maryam d'Abo-- in her acting debut, by the way-- in the bathtub. If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what I'm talking about).

This is a movie that truly must be experienced to be believed-- and it's unforgettable, at least for seventeen years. My original ***** still stands.
July 1, 2013
Bizarre bit of Sci-fi....best thing I can say for it is that it has a 22 year old Maryam d'Abo!
½ November 29, 2012
Creepy, physically and psychologically grotesque Science Fiction/Gore/Horror film about familial devotion. I liked it quite a lot.