Xtro

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Xtro Reviews

March 18, 2008
XTRO is XTRaOrdinary! Daddy returns from a 3-year absence to reclaim his son; exhibiting strange behaviour due to his abduction by aliens. Contains some of the most repellent scenes I have ever seen but still draws you in. This can be enjoyed multiple times over.
November 13, 2013
Finally! A movie that combines the fine romanticism of John Carpenter's Starman with the internal bleeding of Humanoids from the Deep. At least that is what I think what this film is like judging by the original movie poster it's about a monster that steals a pouty kid's chocolate milk. So for those of you who were blessed never seeing this giant hunk of elephant crap, Xtro is a 1983 alien horror film meant to capitalize on the good natureness of ET the Extra-Terrestrial. Some aliens want your Reese's Pieces; other aliens think you are just as delicious Reese's Pieces. I for one will stick with real "fuck you" ET movies, thank you very much, like John Carpenter's The Thing. Hell maybe a few years down the road this movie will have its own shitty prequel. So by now you may be asking yourself why I picked this as the next film to my Countdown to 200 and the answer is quite simple. I am a fucking moron! Apart from that, lately I've been expanding my horizons by watching foreign films for the past year. Low and behold; not only was this low-budgeted British movie a sci-fi flick, but it has spawned two more sequels with news of a fourth to come out sometime in the near future making this kind of a cult following. So after hearing about this I decided to run to my local Good Will Store, bought me a VHS copy, and enjoyed some horrendous acting followed by bizarre shit that even Ron Jeremy would get sick to his stomach from. So sit back and relax as I kick things off with my review on Xtro.

So the general plot of Xtro is about the horrific story of a British man who gets kidnapped by aliens, while his son witnesses the whole thing, and is returned three years later carrying infectious spores that have transformed him into a kind of crab thingy that causes all kinds of perverse sexual and violent mayhem.

The movie has a series of awkward moments in here from a boy who stares at his mother having sex in bed to aliens having the ability to use toy soldiers as killing machines. Not to mention the alien in this looks like a baby sized version of the Cloverfield monster that likes to impregnate dumb blondes and becomes reborn into a human. Philip Sayer plays the young boy named Sam and he is so blatantly stereotyped that I'm expecting a scene where Ebenezer Scrooge sends this kid down to the market to pick him up a goose. Bernice Stergers plays Rachel Phillips, the mother in this movie, whose acting is as bland as their cup of tea and has a haircut in every scene where it looks like Dudley Moore's Arthur after a forty-eight hour binge. There are also scenes where the actors talk off screen and you wouldn't even know where they are half the time. One positive thing that I will say about this is that this movie does start establishing things, but just at completely at random. Overall, this movie is a prime example of how much you can fuck up a sci-fi film and not care one bit what the general audience thinks about it. Take my advice and NEVER watch this movie, otherwise your mind will be infected the same way these aliens infect the people in this film. The only real question I'll be asking myself, for years to come, is what the hell is an Xtro?
February 22, 2009
XTRO (Harry Bromley Davenport, 1983)
[originally posted 27Mar2000]

In the world of 1983, everyone was happily proclaiming that alien life would be warm and happy, and would like to eat Reese's Pieces and mashed potatoes. Ridley Scott? Who's he? We remember the little guy with the healing touch and some greys who like to play Simon with a really, really big board.

Harry Bromley Davenport singlehandedly brought the menace back into extraterrestrial life with XTRO, a low-budget British film from 1983. I saw it once, upon release, and it scarred me for life. Of course, I was fourteen at the time, and I have often wondered whether I was exaggerating the brilliance of this little gem in my head when placing it in a position of prominence on my 100-best list. Thanks to the wonders of ebay, a copy came my way last week, and Saturday morning I had a chance to sit down and relive the wonderful world of nasty, disgusting aliens who like to abduct people and do extremely tasteless things to those still on earth.

It hasn't lost a beat. Sam Phillips (Philip Sayer, best known-how depressing-for Shanghai Surprise; his career was cut short when he died in a car crash in 1991) is a family man abducted by aliens when only his son (Simon Nash, who only made two more motion pictures, Breakout and Brazil, before going on to a TV career in the nineties) is around to see. Of course, his wife (British TV mainstay Bernice Stegers) assumes he's gone off and left them... until he shows up again three years later. How he gets from his alien abductors back home is the first twenty minutes of the film, a marvel of proto-splatterpunk low-budget effects making that must be seen to be believed-- assuming your stomach can handle some of the nastier bits.

In a reversal of what Sam Raimi had done two years previous in his classic The Evil Dead, Davenport dispenses with the gore early on, for the most part, and spends the rest of the movie building suspense. It's a tricky way to do things, since if you set the audience up with a gorefest for half an hour and then work on atmosphere, what most of your audience will leave saying is "good beginning, then it gets real slow." Again, this movie isn't for everyone-- along with an appreciation of fuzzy horror [viz. The Ninth Gate review for a definition] (especially in the soundtrack), you have to have the stomach for some of the gorier scenes and an appetite for the surreal (Maryam d'Abo-- in her acting debut, by the way-- in the bathtub. If you've seen the movie, you know exactly what I'm talking about).

This is a movie that truly must be experienced to be believed-- and it's unforgettable, at least for seventeen years. My original ***** still stands.
July 1, 2013
Bizarre bit of Sci-fi....best thing I can say for it is that it has a 22 year old Maryam d'Abo!
May 28, 2013
One of the best alien films out there.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

March 20, 2013
Decent Alien Rip-off, Xtro doesn't cover new ground in terms of alien themed horror films, but is a fun little B movie that boasts some memorable moments. However I have seen far better rip-off of Alien and Xtro though somewhat entertaining, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what it could have been. I enjoyed the film for what it was, but felt it could have been a bit better. The performances were an aspect that could have greatly improved, however the gore effects is where the film excelled and they were quite good considering the budget of the film. Sci Fi horror fans may enjoy the camp value of Xtro, but they will surely feel that in terms of an Alien type horror yarn, it is a weak affair that is really only worth checking out once. Unlike its horrible sequels, this was actually quite entertaining and decent despite the fact that it was weak compared to others in this genre. The best way to view this film is as a guilty pleasure. The effects are the best thing about the film and it overcomes its slightly thin plot. Gore fans may enjoy I, but to those looking for great horror that is memorable and thrilling, you'll sadly be disappointed. This is a decent picture that delivers good effects, but leaves a lot to be desired from its weak plot. Expect something mildly amusing, and you may like it. I enjoyed the film, but I also felt it could have been much better as well, and there was plenty of room for improvement.
January 16, 2013
Really, really weird. Some of the imagery is creepy. Some parts are laughable. It's kind of a downer of a movie, but there aren't too many movies like it.
January 15, 2013
One of a kind 'cult-sci-fi horror'...quite creepy with some surreal moments.....don't expect Alien..but it does have a unique off beat charm to it..and it somehow manages to freak you out just when you least expect it. A classic!
Michael H.
November 29, 2012
Creepy, physically and psychologically grotesque Science Fiction/Gore/Horror film about familial devotion. I liked it quite a lot.
October 27, 2012
Mish-mash of science fiction and psychic thrillers can't decide which one it wants to be.
August 3, 2012
Xtro (1983) -- [4.0] -- As far as I could tell, "Xtro" is about a father who is abducted by aliens, then returned to his family as a strange alien-human hybrid. But I'm not sure. First, there's a weird crabby-looking monster in the woods, then it rapes a woman, then the woman gives birth to a fully-grown man (the single reason to see this movie), the man begins to spore and kill people, but then it appears that he just loves his son and wants to take him back into space with him? "Xtro" is a hot mess. But at least there are a lot of imaginative ideas swirling around in it. The director didn't do the film any favors by scoring it himself.
June 21, 2012
Certainly not of this world. Extra half star for Action Man.
October 5, 2010
XTRO gets points for being imaginative as a horror film, but it's ideas are so inconsistent and I just sit there thinking "what the fuck is that?" or "why did that happen?" It has its moments but it's a very trashy horror film with a lot of weird twisted shit.
May 12, 2012
The final scene of the movie feels like it was from a far better movie and where this film should have either started or got to in the first 30mins. The early effects are bad and off-putting and yet they improve massively through the film and by the end are really simple and effective. All credit to the makers for their successes its a shame that the early flaws are what many will see and dismiss the film for.
May 7, 2012
Like many films from my childhood, I rented or bought based on titles and box artwork alone and what could be cooler than a film that began with a letter "X" and featured a deadly, ugly-ass alien on the cover artwork? Far be it from me I was in store for one of the most schizophrenic, convoluted and all around fucked up films I had ever seen that would seriously screw up my whole outlook on life!
We open with a loving family vacationing in their village home when the father gets abducted by aliens. Years later, out of the blue, the father shows up again to rejoin his family. Two problems: 1) his wife has moved on with a new lover and 2) he is now a bloodsucking ugly fuck of an alien! Now daddy wants to change his son into a skeletal alien and take him to his new home, but not before he kills many people in gruesome ways along the way.

I can't explain how thoroughly fucked up this film is. First of all director Harry Bromley Davenport goes out of his way to make this one of the most gory, grotesque and nauseating films I have ever seen when it comes to bloody special effects effects. Blood is the name of the game and when you think Davenport can't out due himself, he shows a women, recently impregnated by an alien, give birth to our abducted father as a full grown man in mess of blood and guts flowing from between her legs. It's a jaw-dropping and gut-wrenching sequence that the film has become widely known for.

The plot is an absolute mess with crazy ass shit happening all over the place. Our abducted father melts phones, eats pet snakes but the film hits the 'bat shit' crazy button when our young boy brings his toy soldier to life to kill his bitch of a neighbor. Where the fuck did this scene come from? Hell a demonic midget and a black panther even make an appearance to make the audience think they've gone into complete hysteria!

The cast of British actors is surprisingly good for this type of gore flick (including the sexy future Bond girl Maryam d'Abo doing a full frontal nudity scene) and the film does have a really bleak, bizarre atmosphere that I dug, but I do suspect the atmosphere was all by complete accident. Overall "Xtro" is just a schizophrenic mess with everything but the kitchen sink thrown into the plot to shock and awe the audience. This schizo feel and bizarre atmosphere is actually what makes "Xtro" worth watching, if one can get past the awful screaming synthesizer soundtrack provided by none-other than the director himself. For fans of the fucked-up and bizarre, "Xtro" is definitely a must watch. Followed by two completely unrelated sequels.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

April 14, 2012
An actual interesting pice of trash cinema, creating a surprisingly effective horror-drama with the confusing abducted character giving a well thought and well acted role. Add some shocking sittings, horrid alien "rape" scenes and complete and unexplainable nonsense lucid dream sequences and it's already trash legend.

Props for the completly uneffective cheesy soundtrack that is actually pretty good but completly misses the point!
April 14, 2012
This movie was more weird then scary or horror. It was fun though, if you're looking for an old movie to watch with friends and joke about. I'm curious to see the other ones.lol
January 15, 2012
pretty absurd but fun to watch, didn't understand how the midget connected to the story, did he come from a midget planet?
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

October 5, 2011
A bit of low-budget Alien fun from Britain. Not a great film of course but it has enough memorable moments to it, from a bit of Alien rape, cheesy gore effects, a boy able to give life to his toys and Marym d'Abo in the nude! Not as good as Inseminoid, but worth a look if you enjoy cheesy Alien films.