19% Transcendence Apr 18

Year of the Carnivore Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 20, 2013
A nerdy grocery store detective begins "sexual training" to earn the affections of a musician.
Cristin Milioti, aka the girl with the yellow umbrella, shines in the lead role, but the film is troubled by the fact that very few of the characters are at all likable. Normally, unlikeable characters aren't a problem for me, but when the object of the protagonist's affections is an utter dick, we judge the protagonist; we all put on our "gay best friend" hats and say, "Girl, you're so much better than this."
Some of the situations Sammy finds herself in are chuckle-worthy (the mother teaching Sammy how to use a vibrator and the resulting threesome), but that's about the extent of the film's humor.
Overall, Ted's future wife is quirky and adorable, but her film choice needs improvement.
3niR
3niR

June 16, 2011
It was okay. Kinda reminds me of someone from real life. But not great enough to recommend.
January 20, 2014
Cristin Milioti is the cutest thing on earth.
July 29, 2013
what starts out as a cute quirky comedy about a crippled nerd, slooowly moves to point where we find our heroine trying to find love and deal with her inexperience with sexual matters. She deals with a guy that doesnt know she exsists and typical parents that are clueless and still try to control here and what she does in her life. there are ute scenes and funny bits but over all its drags and after a while you don't really care what happenes to our nerdly girl.
Charlie S.
June 22, 2012
Nice little film, but rather one-dimensional. Would've worked better if we saw some real chemistry between the protagonists. A bit more local color, minor characters and conflict would've filled out the film better.
May 9, 2011
I do not understand why this is a comedy. There is absolutely NOTHING funny in this film. Its' about a basically nice girl, although inexperienced and nerdy who develops a crush on a guy who thinks he's wonderful in bed, but from what is shown, he is as nerdy as she is. He cares about her but tells her to get more experience. On the face of it, this is a legitimate thing to say to her but why oh why does she pick (there is no nice way to put this), anything with male parts, men she does not even know. She is not gaining experience, just having sex and not only is there no comedy, I do not see the purpose of her doing this. It didn't make her any better in bed. At the end of the movie, her nerdy guy finally admits out loud that he cares and she knows she does so they are finally able to kiss properly? The only point this movie makes is that you don't need sexual prowess, you only need to care about someone to make everything flow smoothly. Why do I always pick the weird movies?