Yella - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yella Reviews

½ January 21, 2014
Another film from the Berlin School's Christian Petzold, Yella is an often interesting drama that showcases a performance by Nina Hoss. This film may easily bore American audiences but that does not make it any less impactful.
½ April 11, 2013
I grew up in Germany and always refused to give up on German film although t just keeps disappointing me. Nina Hoss has starred in some interesting productions, so I was very interested to see this critically acclaimed feature film.

The story follows Yella, a young accountant accepting a job in a big city in GDR. She leaves behind her broke husband who is obsessing over her. The film shows Yella working with a businessman as an advisor (it was not perfectly clear what they actaully do) and develop as she is faced with the capitalistic business world. Nina Hoss gives an intense performance and carries the whole movie effortlesly. It's a study of the lead person's character but also the world at that time. "Yella" is a mellow thriller without bombastic effects but emotion-based suspense and anticipation. The ending is unexpected and invites you to think about the what ifs. It's probably not the movie that will find a place in your DVD favorites but it's well worth to fill an evening of entertained watching and deep thinking.
½ April 16, 2012
An interesting and well shot film, but with messy and odd story telling. Better movies with similar plot paths are Swimming Pool (2003), and Stay (2005)among others.
½ April 15, 2012
Intelligent storyline that keeps you guessing only to find your always wrong. Mindblowing frustrating stuff. The end was a bit weird , & why did she not get her ex arrested before the car crash
April 24, 2011
You can tell me it's profound. You can tell me it's filled with social commentary. You can tell me it's hidden genius and artistic value. You can tell me all that stuff. It doesn't make up for the fact that "Yella" is really freaking boring.
½ January 20, 2011
A german film that never really takes off for me. Nina Hoss (the best thing in the film) plays Yella who is trying to make a new life for herself after being estranged from her husband Ben (Hinnerk Schonemann). She is trying to catch her train but Ben meets her and convinces her that he'll take her to the train station. What happens next I won't tell. This film definitely had potential to be better but it just didn't happen for me. Performances were alright all around but to be frank there really wasn't a lot of screen time except for Yella and really one other person. This was Nina Hoss's film all the way as she is basically in every frame of this movie. But I don't blame her for the film, it's the script which let her down. I would see another film with her in it (she has 27 acting credits on IMDB). There's really not a lot of emotional peaks or valleys with her character here so you really don't know her range. It is probably best to try another film to see if another director can bring something out of her. A solid 2 1/2 stars but not recommended.
½ July 11, 2010
Interesting German film which does not outstay its welcome, and which has a twist ending you'll see a mile away... which utterly undermines the seeming empowerment of the title character. Maybe only death can set you free sometimes.
May 26, 2010
Yella is a woman running from an abusive husband to start a new life. Even though you know where the story is going within the first 15 minutes, it is still a film that keeps your interest.
alanjayh
½ March 17, 2010
not to be confused with the 50s classic "Old Yella", this movie purposely feels somewhat like a dream (or nightmare), where everything seems a bit out of balance. The acting is fine but I guessed the ending about 15 minutes into the film---I have seen similar movies recently with the same storyline and 'surprise ending'. Still a decent watch...
½ February 18, 2010
Quietly intriguing film with very calm direction and a lovely performance by Nina Hoss, nicely teases the viewer regarding its ending.
February 18, 2010
Overly downbeat psychological drama. The subject matter is depressingly handled which doesn't bode well for the viewer.
February 13, 2010
Der Film wurde als praezise beschrieben, ist aber nur leer und langweilig. Das Wirtschaftgebabbel ist so unreflektiert wie die Kommandos auf der Bruecke eines Raumschiffs. Das Ende vorhersehbar. Der Titel genauso nichtssagend wie der ganze Film. Ueberfluessig und aergerlich.
Harlequin68
½ February 6, 2010
Even with an obvious conclusion, "Yella" is still a compelling movie, simply told, with a quietly strong performance from Nina Hoss as the title character, a young woman seeking to make a new start for herself in Hannover. First, she returns to her hometown for a night to get a change of clothes and to tell her father(Christian Redl) that she got a job and a place to stay. But the past will not leave her alone in the person of Ben(Hinnerk Schonemann), her very estanged husband and a failed businessman, who follows her around before offering her a ride to the train station the following morning. Seeing no harm, wishing to be polite and get it over with, Yella accepts. That turns out to be a huge mistake as he berates her, does not let her get out of the car and even tries to kill them both by driving over the side of a bridge. She survives to go to Hannover, a journey that will encapsulate all the fears and hopes of her new life.
January 18, 2010
I enjoyed the slow storyline and character development, and I liked that the love story didn't become saccharine. They weren't too quick to trust each other. However, I found the ending unsettling. I couldn't decide whether I thought the cliche was a disappointment, but I'm still thinking about it a week and a half later, so it can't have ruined the story for me that much.
January 14, 2010
Netflix as soon as possible
October 12, 2009
German woman running away from her abusive husband becomes involved with a venture capitalist. Interesting movie that had me wondering what would happen next, although the Donnie Darko ending was kind of disappointing.
½ July 17, 2009
Simply put, and in lieu of a review; this one may not be the most uniquely proposed or sunniest of films but it is an engaging little existential drama, if even an homage to a certain 1962 film (a keyword search will tell you which film I'm referring to). That being said, Simone Bär's screenplay incorporates strong mixture of thinking and intuition to support the plot-line (as it is) and thoroughly convince auds, even upon reflection. A genuine effort.
May 5, 2009
Lovely. Not exactly without transparency toward the ending, but still, as they say, 'compulsively watchable.' great cinematography. I wish it was longer in the beginning and longer at the end. The end is too facile.
½ April 12, 2009
Es bastante rigida. Tiene un final tan inesperado, que rompe totalmente con el hilo narrativo que trae desde el principio.
April 11, 2009
I don't want to give too much away about this movie, but if you liked the Ambrose Bierce short story "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" you'll love this movie. For anyone that has no idea what that story is about, this movie is a little hard to figure out. Most of it makes little sense until the end when you figure out why in the very last scene. I was going to give it a worse rating until that last scene. It kind of makes all the confusion a little more understandable (like why the main character, Yella, wears the same clothes in every scene of the movie).