Yella Reviews

½ January 21, 2014
Another film from the Berlin School's Christian Petzold, Yella is an often interesting drama that showcases a performance by Nina Hoss. This film may easily bore American audiences but that does not make it any less impactful.
½ April 11, 2013
I grew up in Germany and always refused to give up on German film although t just keeps disappointing me. Nina Hoss has starred in some interesting productions, so I was very interested to see this critically acclaimed feature film.

The story follows Yella, a young accountant accepting a job in a big city in GDR. She leaves behind her broke husband who is obsessing over her. The film shows Yella working with a businessman as an advisor (it was not perfectly clear what they actaully do) and develop as she is faced with the capitalistic business world. Nina Hoss gives an intense performance and carries the whole movie effortlesly. It's a study of the lead person's character but also the world at that time. "Yella" is a mellow thriller without bombastic effects but emotion-based suspense and anticipation. The ending is unexpected and invites you to think about the what ifs. It's probably not the movie that will find a place in your DVD favorites but it's well worth to fill an evening of entertained watching and deep thinking.
½ April 16, 2012
An interesting and well shot film, but with messy and odd story telling. Better movies with similar plot paths are Swimming Pool (2003), and Stay (2005)among others.
½ April 15, 2012
Intelligent storyline that keeps you guessing only to find your always wrong. Mindblowing frustrating stuff. The end was a bit weird , & why did she not get her ex arrested before the car crash
½ January 20, 2011
A german film that never really takes off for me. Nina Hoss (the best thing in the film) plays Yella who is trying to make a new life for herself after being estranged from her husband Ben (Hinnerk Schonemann). She is trying to catch her train but Ben meets her and convinces her that he'll take her to the train station. What happens next I won't tell. This film definitely had potential to be better but it just didn't happen for me. Performances were alright all around but to be frank there really wasn't a lot of screen time except for Yella and really one other person. This was Nina Hoss's film all the way as she is basically in every frame of this movie. But I don't blame her for the film, it's the script which let her down. I would see another film with her in it (she has 27 acting credits on IMDB). There's really not a lot of emotional peaks or valleys with her character here so you really don't know her range. It is probably best to try another film to see if another director can bring something out of her. A solid 2 1/2 stars but not recommended.
alanjayh
½ March 17, 2010
not to be confused with the 50s classic "Old Yella", this movie purposely feels somewhat like a dream (or nightmare), where everything seems a bit out of balance. The acting is fine but I guessed the ending about 15 minutes into the film---I have seen similar movies recently with the same storyline and 'surprise ending'. Still a decent watch...
Harlequin68
½ February 6, 2010
Even with an obvious conclusion, "Yella" is still a compelling movie, simply told, with a quietly strong performance from Nina Hoss as the title character, a young woman seeking to make a new start for herself in Hannover. First, she returns to her hometown for a night to get a change of clothes and to tell her father(Christian Redl) that she got a job and a place to stay. But the past will not leave her alone in the person of Ben(Hinnerk Schonemann), her very estanged husband and a failed businessman, who follows her around before offering her a ride to the train station the following morning. Seeing no harm, wishing to be polite and get it over with, Yella accepts. That turns out to be a huge mistake as he berates her, does not let her get out of the car and even tries to kill them both by driving over the side of a bridge. She survives to go to Hannover, a journey that will encapsulate all the fears and hopes of her new life.
½ April 9, 2009
Maybe the only thing that I will remember about this movie, is me thinking: "Is she wearing again that red shirt?"
March 22, 2009
Plot: Narrowly escaping her volatile ex-husband, Yella flees her small hometown in former East Germany for a new life in the West. She finds a promising job with Philipp, a handsome business executive with ...whom an unlikely romance soon blossoms. But just as Yella seems poised to realize her dreams, she finds herself haunted by buried truths that threaten to destroy her newfound happiness.
March 1, 2008
Berlin Film Festival 07' Best Actress
½ February 27, 2008
[i]Possibly contains vague spoilers for [/i]Yella[i]. Maybe.[/i]

A lot of people seem to hate [i]Yella[/i], at least if you go by the IMDb (but then we all know that's not exactly a wise thing to do). I was more baffled by it than anything- here is a film coming in at a brisk 89 minutes that fills much of its running time up with business meetings in clinical, sparse board rooms, occasionally interrupted by overwhelming, disorientating rushes of sound. Is this what David Lynch films would be like if he'd once been a systems analyst? (Or something, I mean I know nothing about business, which might be why I often zoned out. I mean, "personal capital"? Please. I don't watch movies to be given a business degree.) It seems like it might, especially with its elliptical ending- only here, devoid of Lynch's unique atmospheric aesthetic, said ending seems more a cop-out than anything, if it actually meant what I think it did, which to be honest I'm not sure about. But even if it did, really, I'm not sure that I really think that [i]Yella[/i] is up to much- Nina Hoss won Best Actress at the Berlin International Film Festival, and she's fine, but too often the character just seems like a vessel for looking utterly perplexed when the director goes off on one of his [i]interruptus sonorus[/i]. The strong plot element of Hoss' eponymous heroine being stalked by her husband adds a strangely farcical element that really doesn't fit with the smooth, eerie atmosphere the rest of the film, with its modern fittings and sleek cars as the main spaces, is trying to project. The film does hold some kind of strange compulsion, though, perhaps [i]through[/i] this odd twinning of elliptical theme and straight business, for it's so rare to see a film go off on such a tangent that's so easily described as "dull" and actually manage to make it interesting by threading in into the characters' existances and relationships. The plot elements that form the ending seem to mirror themselves in a way that suggests the kind of justificatory explanation for the whole thing that most people have favoured, and this does indeed make [i]Yella[/i] stronger, more than the rather pallid figure it would otherwise project. The film is oddball yet strangely ordinary, mystifying in its business suit, bizarre in its modern sleekness.
½ October 3, 2007
Quite a surreal film during which I found myself repeatedly asking if it was fantasy or reality being portrayed on-screen. Good acting and quite a clever storyline all made for an enjoyable if somewhat confusing viewing.