Yes Man Reviews

½ June 24, 2014
Jim Carrey is, of course, hilarious in his customary physical humor, but not much that he does here is enough to compensate for gags that are mostly poorly conceived or just ridiculous, not to mention a plot that borders on complete implausibility and is all about artificial conflicts.
December 15, 2008
Not the best... interesting idea for a comedy, but Jim Carrey is just too hammy in it and it lacks substance and feels shorter than it is. A few mild laughs and a few gross scenes too (such as the old lady).
Zooey is worth watching, but she's done better movies.
I've read the book it's based on and it's seriously nothing like it.
YodaMasterJedi
December 6, 2012
three stars
November 2, 2012
An easy and fun watch that isn't stupid which is great considering Carrey's lead role. Both Carrey and Deschanel give great performances and it has some cool funny moments that make you feel great come the end.
½ April 10, 2012
Not a completely terrible pass of time and the message is probably an admirable one ("say YES to life!") but the work suffers from the heavy hand of formula romcom, never altering course, and for that I found myself resisting the too obvious twists and turns, the too obvious characterizations. Blah.
½ February 12, 2012
Really quite adorable. The fruition of Carl's Korean and guitar lessons is jubilant and moving.
½ January 1, 2009
This is a funny Carrey film, most things he makes still turns to gold but its not quite as shiny as it once was. Half n half with this one...on one hand this is a very enjoyable, amusing gentle film that expresses Carrey's comedic skills well. Its not insane like 'The Mask' or 'Liar Liar' with huge rubber faced over the top jesting, its quite down to earth and more sentimental with Carrey going with the more rom com style. The character of 'Norm' is a pretty funny scene stealer for me as the rest of the cast is alttle boring really, Stamp seems to have lost his acting ability.

On the other hand this is really quite an unoriginal film that anyone could have taken the lead in, straight to DVD and never heard of again. You can see the jokes and outcomes coming a mile of and predict the story (similar theme to Liar Liar without kids), but Carrey is a funny guy and this film can lighten yr day, very easy going.
Directors Cat
½ September 20, 2011
What we have here is a predictable film but a funny one. Its a modern Liar Liar as this film has similar plot elements. Carrey keeps the film afloat well however if anyone else was chosen for the role it would be a different story..
December 20, 2008
In many regards this comedy feels like Jim Carrey remaking his own film "Liar liar". This time, instead of not being able to lie, he forces himself to say Yes to any proposal that is presented to him. That makes for a couple of really funny and a few rather pretentious scenes (the jumper), but entertains rather well overall. Deschanel is her usual quirky self as love interest and Carrey is best when he can do his over the top physical thing. The plot itself doesn't exactly raise the bar in originality, but had enough good jokes to make it through the film. Good enough for an entertaining evening, no more, no less.
September 25, 2011
"Yes Man" is well-acted by Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel (who make a great on-screen ensemble), and it has a sweet, touching story at it's heart but it's humour is just too silly to be genuinely funny. So, don't say yes to "Yes Man" just because you have to, do it because you really want to.
blkbomb
February 9, 2011
Terrence Bundley: You can't audit life, my friend.

"The era of yes has begun"

Yes Man is an amusing comedy that never rises above being amusing. It's never hysterical, but often had me smirking. Jim Carey plays Jim Carey as Carl. Carl is a divorced man who has the same job he's had for years. He makes excuses to his friends about we he can't hang out. Let's just say he is always saying no and it's not getting him anywhere. Until he attends a "Yes" seminar and changes his way of thinking. Now he says "Yes" to everything and boring, lonely life is turning around.

I really liked the supporting cast in Yes Man, which includes Bradley Cooper, Danny Masterson and Zooey Deschanel. The movie relies on if you like or don't like Jim Carey though. I like him somewhat, so I guess that's how I view this movie. I like it somewhat. It never becomes more then just an average comedy though. The concept of saying "Yes" to everything leads to some funny situations that are never entirely satisfactory, as in the drunk scene.

Decent enough to merit a watch, but don't expect anything new and exciting. If you don't like Jim Carey, don't watch it. I always hate when someone hates an actor like Carey, yet goes and sees all of his movies; then complains about them. Going in you already know you're going to hate it, so why put yourself through it.
MANUGINO
December 31, 2008
One word can change everything.

Watch it again! Excellent movie, I couldn't help but enjoy it all over again. This movie was very very funny, when i still think of some parts I laugh by myself jaja. Excellent movie to watch and get some laughs out of it with a very nice message we can all go along with.

The banker Carl Allen is a lonely man with low self-esteem after his divorce with Stephanie, for whom he still yearns. He avoids his best friend Peter. He has a boring job, stalled in a bureaucratic position in the loan department of a bank; and he spends his spare time watching DVDs. When he meets by chance his former high school mate Nick, he is convinced to participate of a self-help program called "Yes Man" leaded by the guru Terrence Bundley. The basic principle of the program is to say "yes" to new situations, leaving the negativism aside. Carl misunderstands the concept and says "yes" to every question. While leaving the encounter, he helps a homeless man and in the end of the night he meets the gorgeous Allison that helps him with her scooter. His life completely changes with his new attitude.
August 12, 2011
The story is a bit predictable and silly, but it means well. Jim Carrey does his usual thing, and is amusing, and to an extent endearing. Zooey Deschanel does her usual 'kooky' thing, which is fine by me. Rhys Darby does a clumsily watered down (by the writers, I should say) version of his Flight of the Conchords character but is still extremely funny.
Pretty standard comedy fare overall, but enjoyable nonetheless.
DreamExtractor
August 7, 2011
Yes Man is funny, but is truly not worthy of anything but that. Carl Allen (Jim Carrey) decides his life would be easier if he just said yes to everything he is asked. The plot is easy to tell what happens if you know the title of the film, there is no secrets, no surprise, no nothing, we know he will regret sayng yes to everything in the end, and it was basically very boring. Jim Carrey is funny, he is funny in a lot of his films, and I consider film one of my favorite comedians, right under Will Ferell. Zooey Deshanel is just there as the romantic interest, nothing more, she wasn't funny at all. But i'd be lying if I said I never laughed, so if you wanna laugh see it, but its not as funny as you hope and it is a very forgettable film.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Average. Jim Carrey is undoubtably hilarious but not one of his best films. A few laughs and giggles. That's all really.
michael e.
January 2, 2011
carrey couldve done so much better, but this movie had a far too predictable ending
BEACHBUNNI
April 21, 2009
i have realised that if you are looking for pure entertainment and lots of laughs Jim Carry is a sure bet~!
Lots of us have the problem that we cant say No when we really need to, and keep getting into trouble trying to be civil, polite, and pleasant. Carl Allen (played by Jim Carrey) has the other problem, not being able to say Yes, until a friend convinces him to attend a talk by a motivational speaker Terrence Bundley (played by Terence Stamp) who helps people to discover the possibilities in life by saying Yes more often. Carl gets the message a bit jumbled up and says yes to everything....Allison (Zooey Deschanel) is charming as Carls girlfriend
December 15, 2008
A great time at the movies. It's part buddy comedy and part romantic comedy, but its all fun. A hilarious and absolutely wonderful comedy loaded with energy and alot of heart. It's smart, charming, wild and totally original. A real comic gem. It has a great story and blessed with a gifted and charismatic all-star cast. Jim Carrey is at his best, one of his funniest and best performances in years. Zooey Dechanel is a splendid joy to watch. Terrence Stamp is brilliant. Bradley Cooper, Danny Masterson, Rhys Darby and John Michael Higgins give great and wonderfully funny performances.
Jon J.
March 30, 2011
Jim Carrey is most likely used to holding up his films with his wittiness and overall likability, even though the actual script isn't all that spectacular. For reference, just look at the Ace Ventura movies. However, with all his comic timing and overall exuberance, Yes Man just falls short on both its premise and promises. It lacks a sort of comedic focus prevalent in many of Carrey's former work and ends up as a forgettable, occasionally funny but ultimately disappointing fare.

Carl Allen is a negative person. So negative, in fact, that he'll basically say "no" whenever the opportunity presents itself. One of his only friends manages to convince him to join a self-help class, where the point is to make you a more positive person. This class, however, is far from what he expected. The instructor, played by the here oddly annoying Terrence Stamp, has only one piece of advice: "Just say yes". Carl soon takes that bit of advice very literally and it leads to both positive outcomes and others not so fortunate.

This premise is relatively similar to LiarLiar, where Jim couldn't tell a lie. However, the "yes" mechanic and that he always does it willingly makes it more of a gimmick than anything else. He makes some smart decisions, but in a serious plea for suspension of disbelief, we're also supposed to assume that he'd order mailbrides and partake in an act of fellatio done by an obsessed old woman. This in turn makes Carl not a very understandable character, though Jim does his best to be the charming man that he can be.

The rest of the cast is pretty good all things considered. Zooey Deschanel is radiant and charming as Carl's love interest and Bradley Cooper does a good job as Carl's friend. Rhys Darby is also one of the highlights of the film, playing a pretty hopeless nerd/bank manager who wishes nothing more than to be the number one boss.

Unfortunately, it's just not enough to keep the entire experience afloat. There are some scenes of genuine hilarity but the gimmick gets old relatively fast. And as mentioned before, the fact that he's always in complete control of his fate in contrast to being forced to be embarrassing and unconventional removes much of the pity one could have given to Carl. That is where LiarLiar succeeded, and where Yes Man stumbles. There's enjoyment to be found if you just enjoy seeing Jim Carrey do his thing, but everything else feels simply too formulaic. It most certainly doesn't come close to some of Jim Carrey's finest, at least, which is a shame.
½ October 25, 2009
One of the most unfunny movies I have seen in recent memory, dealing with a bank employee (Jim Carrey) who after attending a self-help seminar, feels empowered to say "yes" to anything that is presented to him. Not only has Carrey never been worse, the material just flat-out does not work. Granny-sex is apparently side-splitting to these writers, and those stupid Brits and their "Harry Potter", what nerds! None of the acting is convincing whatsoever, it feels like everybody involved just did this for a paycheck and that's it. For being such a selective actor, Carrey really needs to get back on target here, seeing that when he chooses the right movie ("The Truman Show", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"), he can really shine. Here, he comes across as fake, and the movie itself just remains an interesting premise wasted on bad direction and obvious and cliched writing.