Yogi Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Yogi Bear Reviews

February 25, 2011
Yogi Bear ruined the show for me, it was horrible and a complete mess of a film.
½ September 15, 2010
Cast: Dan Aykroyd, Justin Timberlake, Anna Faris, Tom Cavanagh, T.J. Miller, Nathan Corddry, Andrew Daly, Josh Robert Thompson, David Stott

Director: Eric Brevig

Summary: When the greedy mayor (Andrew Daly) decides to close Jellystone Park to cash in by selling the land, Yogi Bear (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) and his sidekick Boo-Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) must team with their adversary, Ranger Smith (Tom Cavanagh), to save their home. Meanwhile, filmmaker Rachel (Anna Faris) follows Yogi and captures his antics.

My Thoughts: "Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake deserve props for the voices. They did a great job. But the film itself was a little on the boring side bringing very few laughs. My niece's and nephew completely disagree with me, as they should considering they are the audience for which this film was intended to be made for. But us grown ups who loved this cartoon as a child will in the end, prefer the cartoon over the film."
April 30, 2011
This is about as good as a live action yogi bear movie that's gonna be made. Lot like the chipmunk movies, but no as funny. I'm sure kids will love it,i'm gonna stick with the original cartoons.
April 29, 2011
It's a different can of worms when the reviewer in question is decidedly not in the target demographic for a film. Nobody wants to come with you to watch the movie (even when you offer to pay them to come), so you trudge alone to a matinee screening and reluctantly hand the ticket seller your hard-earned $5. When you enter the theater, you are greeted by the overpowering smell of buttered popcorn and Fruit Roll-Ups. Everybody is either twice your age or a quarter of it. On the plus side, the boys are cuter ... but they don't know how to read.

With that being said, even my sticky-fingered theater brethren didn't laugh once during this live action version of Yogi Bear. And why is live action again? Why does Anna Faris continue on doing this to herself?
February 1, 2011
I was never a huge fan of it's original television show, but I can easily say that this film is far worse. I honestly think the the screenwriters were fired before the film was written and they just gave the worst possible script to the cast to read. The plot was extremely predictable and as soon as the first conflict happened, I already guessed the ending. Although albeit cheesy, Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake actually gave it their best shot at nailing the voices of Yogi and Booboo, and I must say, I enjoyed at least that much of the film. It has the harmless kids atmosphere that I thoroughly enjoy in films, but here, this film almost hits rock bottom. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with this, but I do have to say that there are worse films out there. For huge Yogi Bear fans, you may find some enjoyment out of this 80 minute undeveloped feature, but I can barely say the same for me. It is too short to even have a hint of character development, and it has one of the most basic stories told in recent years. Yogi Bear is a big disappointment, but it could have been worse!
December 19, 2010
Yogi Bear is a fun film for all the family, a mixed human with CGI characters in an amusing adventure that is a watchable treat.
January 15, 2011
It was fun to watch and funny at times. The story is a little common and simple and easy to figure out the end but with nice happy ending.

The movie opens with a panoramic view of Jellystone park. There are mountains, water, families picknicing. Then we see Yogi Bear (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) and Boo Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) as Yogi is preparing to use a contraption to steal a family's picnic basket. The contraption involves a pulley to which Boo Boo attaches Yogi, who then soars down hill and snatches the picnic basket, but it breaks and there's food everywhere, although he manages to eat a chip which he dips in dip in midair.

Ranger Jones (T.J. MIller) then reports to Ranger Smith (Tom Cavanagh), who is the head ranger, that a bear distrubance had been reported. Ranger Smith blows off his subordinate, tells him to go stack some maps. In his office, a documentary producer named Rachel (Anna Faris), requests permission to make a documentary about Yogi bear. Smith pretends not to know whom she is talking about, but Yogi then tries to steal Smith's lunchbox.

Meanwhile, the city in which the park is located is bankrupt. The Mayor (Andrew Daly) speaks with his servile toady, his chief of staff (Nathan Corddry) regarding his idea to sell the park. The go tell Ranger Smith that if the park doesn't get profitable by the end of the week, it will be rezoned agricultural and sold to loggers.

Rachel puts a camera in Boo Boo's bow tie.

Smith and Rachel develop a little romantic thing and come up with an idea to have a fireworks thing to celebrate the park's 100th anniversary. The mayor tells Ranger Jones that if he messes up the celebration, he'll get promoted to head ranger. When he finds out that it took Ranger Smith 12 years to make head ranger, he tells yogi to show off for the park goers.

Suddenly, the park is flooded with visitors on the day of the celebration. And Boo Boo pulls Yogi on water skis from a row boat with a small horsepower engine. Yogi, showing off, loses control and crashes into the fireworks stand in the water which causes all the fireworks to go off, some headed towards the viewers.

Having failed to sell enough season passes from the celebration, the park is sold and the Mayor plans to hold a press conference in the park to celebrate saving the city's budget. Yogi and boo boo have to resort to acting like actual average bears and forage for food, which does not go well.

Rachel and Ranger Smith realize that Yogi's pet turtle was an endangered "frog mouth turtle."

Ranger Jones has a change of heart and helps Ranger Smith, Yogi, Boo Boo, and Rachel as they try to save the day by calling the media's attention to the turtle. After a chase scene, they catch the Mayor on Boo Boo's camera saying damaging things and shove the clip into the mayor's video that he is showing at the press conference.

The park is saved and it lives on happily ever after.
½ March 5, 2011
I'm not going to claim that this destroyed my childhood. Mostly because I've always hated Yogi Bear. He's a terrible character. He's stupid, arrogant, and very selfish. He has, and never will have, any redeeming features. All he does is infuriate those around him. The film in general is also an abomination. Kids films don't have to be smart or emotional, just entertaining. This film is stuck in a comedic blackhole. Jokes about farts and poo! HAHA! Bears dancing to Sir-Mix-A-Lot? Really? That song is still funny? Wasn't it overused in Friends and Shrek years ago? Did Yogi Bear EVER dance? The plot is typical, but also adds pointless 3D effects. This is also probably why the film is unbearably bright. Watching it in 2D is even more painful. Yogi and BooBoo just don't fit in with their surroundings. They didn't have to look real. But their interactions with the real world did, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?! The actors don't even look like they know how to hug thin air. A big problem in such a movie. This is a miss on so many levels.
½ December 28, 2010
This movie may not look like a perfect "pic-a-nic" but I wouldn't "pic-a-notha-flick" just yet....

The Kick-Off

For months we've been bashing on every article and every update on the newest take on our favorite picnic-basket-napper. Why, though? The trailer for "Yogi Bear" is one of the worst trailers of the year, for sure, and it does a terrific job on keeping audiences away. Adults who used to watch "Yogi Bear" won't even return for the good ol' memories of watching Yogi and Boo-Boo. Well, as the movie-buff I am, I just couldn't sit back wondering how bad this movie would turn-out. I am proud to say that I am happy with my choice of seeing "Yogi Bear". The movie isn't close to be perfect at all, I had plenty of issues with it, but, in the end I was just glad to have another adventure with my forest friends from Jellystone Park.

Raise your hand if you thought Dan Aykroyd was the worst pick for the voice of Yogi Bear. Okay, now put your hands down. I was one to be against the choice of Aykroyd being the the head of our bear, but, as the movie went on I started getting used to Aykroyd being Yogi. Lets just he wasn't terrible, though I still wish someone else did it. There are plenty of actors who could've done better than Dan Aykroyd. As for Justin Timberlake, who I was one-hundred percent against as Boo-Boo, shocked me completely. After seeing the movie I can't imagine a better fit for Boo-Boo for this movie. Timberlake and Aykroyd even recorded next to each other, which helps the chemistry and puts more "acting" into the jobs of Yogi and Boo-Boo.

With Jellystone Park loosing more money each year, the evil, corny-cartoonish Mayor (running for Governor) Brown decides to sell the land and destroy it. With one week to raise the money, Ranger Smith and new friend Rachel, a doc*mentary film-maker, throw an event for Jellystone's 100th Anniversary (funny how that worked out) and hopefully raise cash. But, can Yogi ruin it for Jellystone? Can he help save the park?

We've seen stories of animals trying to save their homeland hundreds of times. "Yogi Bear" is far from being original and its not supposed to be. In fact, I wasn't even expecting the plot I got walking in. Just sit back and enjoy the adventure because it certainly doesn't last too long.

Tom Cavanagh, who you may have seen in "Scrubs", stars as Ranger Smith. Cavanagh gives a pretty decent, goofy performance but I feel as if he didn't try hard enough to act as if Yogi and Boo-Boo were actually there with him during his scenes. He seemed to look off in the distance when he was looking at Yogi in conversations. It was a bit awkward, but, with this movie, the performance was alright. Anna Faris, who has seemed to of shifted to children humor, plays Ranger Smith's quirky love interest Rachel, who I already mentioned was a doc*mentary film-maker for wild-life. Faris' performance was only alright, too. I think she did much better than Cavanagh did but you seriously can't expect good acting from this anyways. As for Andrew Daly, playing the dimwitted Mayor Brown gave me that Steve Martin vibe from "Looney Toons: Back in Action". He was very energetic, and actually pretty funny in somes scenes. I'd definitely give him the Best Performance Award on this one, though, thats really not giving much.

God, was the 3D for "Yogi Bear" an absolute train-wreak. If only there was a 2D showing playing somewhere. "Yogi Bear" just wasn't a movie mean't for 3D. The setting of the film has green and brown all over and daylight scenes will just distract the hell out of your eyes whenever another color appears. It was quite bothering. "Real D 3D" isn't a favorite of mine to begin with, anyways. If you can find this in 2D, save yourself from going blind because its hard to see sometimes in 3D. The CGI on Yogi and Boo-Boo was laughable to me when I saw the first trailer a month or two ago. I mean, the animation is terrible, people. The worm coming out of Yogi's nose is god awful and watching the people stand with Yogi in this just looks so off. For some reason, with "Scooby Doo" and "Alvin and the Chimpmucks" the animation seemed much better, though it was the same.

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" director, Eric Brevig stands behind the camera on this. Its not a surprise the visual effects on "Yogi Bear" are so bad because the CGI used in "Journey..." is horrific. Anyways, the direction on the movie isn't so bad. The shots on the lake and the look of the forest was a wonder to look at so I'll give Eric Brevig some props.

"Wild Hogs" writer Brad Copeland teams up with "Tooth Fairy" tag-teamers Jeffrey Ventimilia, and Joshua Sternin are the ones behind the words and actions on "Yogi Bear". It took three men to come up with the script for this movie and the story and dialog was this weak? Its a shame, really. Kind of like "How many blondes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" Three writers could have came up with something a little bit better than what they did.

My Last Words:

Though "Yogi Bear" is much better than I was expecting it to be, and it was a fun ride in the end, the movie is still very flawed. The animation is pretty bad, but, you get used to it. Going into "Yogi Bear" I wasn't expecting a story at all but was glad that I got something. The kids will enjoy Yogi's stupidity and silly schemes on getting pic-a-nic baskets. I say give the film a shot, but, wait on the DVD first...

Thanks for the read!
December 2, 2011
½ January 29, 2011
This is a mediocre movie adapted from Hannah Barbera´s ALREADY MEDIOCRE cartoon.

Just by the commercials, trailer, & the fact that it´s based on one of the worst classic cartoons of the 80s[?] is all you need to know & I need to say that it´s gonna be a complete waste of money, & time of a movie. ¨I´m so smart it hurts!¨ No Yogi! This movie is so painfully stupid it hurts! ¨I´m smarter than the average bear!¨ Well, this movie isn´t smarter than the average pre-schooler.

This movie has terrible acting, unfunny jokes, & a crappy set of actors (despite Dan & Justin). I love Anna Faris, but she made herself look like a complete fool by accepting to be in this horrible movie.

I would have given this film a 0%, but I gave it 5% for having done a pretty good job with the CGI, & another 5% for Dan & Justin doing an excellent job capturing Yogi´s & Boo-boo´s voices.
October 1, 2011
Cute kids film. Not the best though. The film kind of reminded me of movies like The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Alvin and the Chipmunks films, Dr. Doolittle films, and Furry Vengeance. The film is predictable. The film needed a major rewrite.

Acting wise, both Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake do a great job as Yogi and Boo-Boo. Tom Cavanagh and Anna Faris were ok. Andrew Daly and TJ Miller were miscast.
Ryan M
½ April 28, 2011

There's a fine difference between a child's mind and a child's imagination, although the people who pieced together this ugly trash-fest of a movie seem to only have the first one. Here's a film that, alas, does not destroy my childhood; because I don't want to be a clichéd fanboy by saying so. But even so, there's something endearing about watching a cartoon, starring a cocky bear and his little side-kick trying to steal "pick-a-nick baskets" from campers and park visitors. I enjoyed watching the little cartoon. And it's been made into a movie, and to the surprise of no-one, I detested every moment of the ride.

Did the filmmaker who "crafted" this movie even GO to film school? I mean, that's not required: Werner Herzog himself believes that aspiring young filmmakers should see the world rather than attend a film class. This may be true for some, and I'm sure that even the filmmakers working here couldn't acknowledge it, because this is not the work of a professional filmmaker, and it sure as hell isn't the work of someone who is intellectually capable of absorbing the world.

The story goes like this: Yogi Bear and Boo Boo Bear are two, you guessed it, bears. They live in Jelly Stone Park, where they annoy the park ranger and his bumbling side-kick (who wants to be just like the head ranger). Yogi is "smarter than the average bear", so we see, when he steals picnic baskets, food, and the like. Yogi treats theft like a business.

So the park faces a threat: a completely cocky and annoying mayor who wants to shut the place down. This means that the head ranger will attempt to save money, whilst also trying to find a reason why they should NOT shut down Jelly Stone. This is kind of how the show went along when it came to story-telling; but there was charm and REAL humor embedded into those cartoon frames. Here, there ain't shit.

This film was made for kids, and it knows that. That's great. That's wonderful. It will make money, and guess what, it already has made PLENTY. However, I have a strong distaste towards films which exist merely for profit, and an even stronger distaste for films that insult my intelligence as well as the word "filmmaker" itself. Who makes films like these anymore? Are they "hip"? Are they "cool"? Are they fun to watch? Because guess what people: "Yogi Bear" is not fun to watch. It's boring and ugly; and I stress the word "ugly". I try to use it only when describing something completely messy, yet here we are.

There is not one laugh in this film; not one moment where it felt pleasurable, fun, or pleasant. It's a boring, excessively stupid film that will only appeal to stupid people. I like films that are made for kids, but can also appeal to adults. This one cannot. No sane adult will laugh at it, because it is the very definition of "money grabbing crap". I try not to rate a lot of films so lowly, but this film deserves whatever it has coming for it. This film deserves the very rare "anti-recommendation" that I am giving it, because there are many bad and horrible films that come out each year, but only a couple are as horrid as this one. It's unwatchable; just really, really pathetic. "Yogi Bear", the T.V. series, had good voice acting and charming humor. "Yogi Bear", the 2010 film, has Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake as its bears, and boy, do their voices feel forced and pathetic. This film should not have been made, and there are better ways to waste time. And that's coming from a guy who wastes a lot of his time; but seldom on stuff like this.
½ December 20, 2010
After living through the live-action re-dos of their classic TV 'toons The Flintstones and Scooby Doo, the spirits of legendary animators William Hanna and Jospeh Barbara are probably calloused enough so as not to roll over in their graves...that is until the live action Yogi Bear entered the ether. Oh, it shows as loving a respect for the source material as Fred Flintstone and the Scooby Gang's big-screen foray, but - like contemporaries Underdog and Alvin and the Chipmunks - it's Simpleton Simon script incorporates more low humor and disposable references than a spoof movie. And sometimes, it feels like a parody-not a tribute.

In this PG-rated live action update (only the bears are CG-animated), greedy mayor Brown (Andrew Daly) threatens to close down Jellystone Park, forcing Ranger Smith (Cavanagh) and his documentary filmmaker girlfriend Rachel (Faris) to form an uneasy alliance with those picnic basket-thieving bears, Yogi (voice of Dan Aykroyd) and Boo Boo (voice of Justin Timberlake).

Perhaps, our Accelerated Culture has advanced to the point that they can't enjoy simple pratfalls and zingers courtesy of a talking con-bear and his protégé, who's often the voice of reason. It's not s if the talent didn't hit their marks and remember their lines. Surprisingly, Aykroyd and Timberlake do fantastic lip service as their iconic counterparts (audio software may deserve some of the credit, but why split bear hairs?). Cavanagh (who still hasn't gotten his well deserved follow-up to NBC's Ed) also captures a lightning bug in a bottle as Ranger Smith. Still, it's no Pic-A-Nik basket.

Bottom line: Yes, a bear does shit in the woods-here is proof.
November 30, 2011
Yogi (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) starts the movie with what he is known for - stealing picnic baskets from visitors of Jellystone Park. In Aykroyd's best Ed Norton impersonation (for the younger viewers that is a character from the 1950s television series "The Honeymooners") he self narrates his strategies so not to lose the audience along the way. Yogi and his accomplice in petty thievery, Boo Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) are continually devising new methods to steal food from the tourists to Jellystone Park. Yogi is the da Vinci mastermind while Boo Boo is the rational voice of conscientiousness. They opt for stealing because the alternative is to resort to foraging for food like the "average bear." Word about Yogi's pilfering gets back to Ranger Smith (played by Tom Cavanagh) who has a long history of battling with Yogi. Instead of just shooting Yogi full of tranquilizer darts and dragging his body to another park (that's my idea, it's not in the movie), Ranger Smith uses his sternness to reprimand Yogi therefore upholding law and order within Jellystone. Yogi soon goes back to his cave and Ranger Smith goes back to his cabin and the cycle of picnic basket pilfering continues.

Meanwhile, back in Franklin City, Mayor Brown (played by Andrew Daly) is making plans to sell off Jellystone. He needs the money to bring his city out of debt and with a coy evilness, he rationalizes that each resident of Franklin City will make money off the deal. Daly was a fresh enjoyment to watch as the nemesis; delivering his role so both children and adults could pick up on the humor of a fun yet despicable character.

A three-way conflict soon begins with Ranger Smith stuck in the middle. Yogi is disrupting the tourists and the mayor is trying to close Jellystone Park. Then, in steps Rachel (played by Anna Farris) who is filming a nature documentary. On top of that Ranger Jones (played by TJ Miller) is gunning for the job of top ranger (it's funny because there are only two rangers for the entire park). It seems like a multi-level story line but the director, Eric Brevig, presents the smaller stories in a clear-cut linear format where even the youngest viewer can pick up on what is happening.

While tension is building between Mayor Brown and Ranger Smith, the 100th anniversary of Jellystone is upon them. At the celebration, Yogi (who was only trying to help) ruins everything and the park closes. At Ranger Smith's lowest point, he loses not only the park and his job, but also a chance with Rachel too. Knowing that his intelligence is also a hindrance, Yogi tries a life of being an "average bear" but that doesn't suit him. He and Boo Boo soon devise a scheme to rescue the park and to stop Mayor Brown from becoming Governor Brown.

Should you see this movie? Yes, it's simple yet charming. There were a lot of jokes for an older and younger audience. You didn't have to grow up with the cartoon to enjoy this newer version of an old classic, just be a fan of clean humor.
April 17, 2011
yogi bear's smarter and funnier than all the talking animal movies! this movie is funny, heartwarming and clever i've seen all year. the actors are funny and clever. this is the best animal talking movie ever. a perfect film adaption of the cartoon show. families will love this, and smart people will laugh and enjoy this comedy! A+
Anthony L.
December 12, 2010
Some pretty big plot holes in the movie but it wasn`t too bad. The 3D effects I have to say, were actually very decent. The voices of Yogi Bear (Dan Akroyd) and BooBoo (Justin Timberlake) do a good job of staying in character and good expressions in their voices. There was one thing that i absoutely hated though. That was, Anna Faris. I mean she says her lines like they`re from a script and not with any expression. The plot aqs very predictable but i wouldnt`call it unoriginal. The jokes were not bad and they did a good job of representing the bad bond between The Park Sheriff and Yogi Bear. I big Plot Hole is at the end when they are trying to save the ``frog mouth trutle`` because it is endangered. If they wre trying to get an endangered animal, why didn`t they juts use the two bears. This is only one of the many plot holes. But i have to say overall that this movie wasn`t too bad, but i wouldn`t call it the best movie ever.
½ December 13, 2010
God help me! I watched this piece of crap and I don't know why?!!!!
November 7, 2010
Yogi Bear is harmless even if it is predictable. Still, despite being predictable it's not as bad as critics said. There's no laugh out loud moments but the movie is at least true to the cartoon and CGI is actually not that bad. While the voice acting by Dan Ackroyd and Justin Timberlake is well done as well. Yogi Bear isn't a great movie, but it's at least a good family film.
December 31, 2010