You Are Not I - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You Are Not I Reviews

½ August 4, 2015
Contemporary audiences will be curious about "You Are Not I" because of its credits for the young Jim Jarmusch as cinematographer and co-screenwriter, but this haunting little film has plenty to offer beyond that novelty. Anyway, the director is not Jarmusch but his girlfriend Sara Driver, who's adapting a Paul Bowles short story. "You Are Not I" follows Ethel (Suzanne Fletcher), a morose, ghoulish, near-catatonic woman who finds herself inadvertently freed from an asylum after a transport bus crashes. Amidst the chaos of multiple casualties, Ethel manages to get mistakenly driven to her unloving sister's house. There, an uneasy battle of wills develops. The story is told from Ethel's point of view (she steadily narrates in a detached drone, despite never speaking out loud), but her sense of reality can't be trusted. Deliberately paced and beautifully photographed in gritty black and white, this is a film that your mind will gnaw on for days afterwards.
½ August 4, 2015