• R, 1 hr. 49 min.
  • On DVD:    Jun 26, 2001
  • TSG Pictures

You Can Count On Me Reviews

hipsterfilmreviews hipsterfilmreviews October 26, 2011
Sweet, well-acted, emotionally provocative drama.
Mads L July 30, 2014
Even if the movie had a solid story and throughout great acting. I felt it was all drowned out by a terrible soundtrack that draws you away from the movie. I found myself being distracted by the deafening droning of a overly ambicious cello more than once.
That and I didn't care much Mark Ruffaloes acting. People seem to be amazed by it, but apparantly his 'talent' was wasted on me.

Good day
Mike N. Mike N. June 17, 2014
other than the good performances, I found this movie extremely dull.
Hamee Hamee December 15, 2013
I think that I would have really enjoyed this years and years ago, but it just didn't hold my interest at all.
Irene M ½ November 4, 2013
OK, the best scene is the one where the Catholic priest provides direction to Mark Ruffalo's character, in a way that doesn't 'slam' religion does his throat.
Elise P September 20, 2012
This is a rather innocuous "feel good" film that has more potential than realisation. The performances are great with excellent cast including Laura Linney (The Squid and the Whale), Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind), Matthew Broderick (The Stepford Wives) and Rory Culkin (Signs). However the plot is rather thin and while it attempts to delve into "deep" subjectmatter, death of parents, extra-marital affairs, etc it all seems a little thin and superficial. The characters sort of float and lack much motivation or depth, and it is purely the strength of the cast that carries over an real sentiment and realism. Overall the film is a pretty average light affair and is rather predictable, with good performances.
Matt B July 29, 2013
Linney and Ruffalo are great.
Yanti A July 4, 2013
this is definitely one of those movies I love to see. family movie with messy characters in it. the story is so simple, it's every days' life of siblings who fucked up in their own ways, and it's a long road short for them to understand each other and try to believe that they have each other's back. everything is so simple, well acted, of course it's Linney, and Ruffalo, and the little Culkin (having the time of his life since he acted since he was so little and he's really cute and amazing). it's so sensitive, I bet it's something that we all can relate to someway somehow.
closedmouth closedmouth June 10, 2013
Pretty amazing acting. Writing and direction is perfectly competent, but it's mostly in the acting.
Marcos S ½ June 2, 2013
A simple movie about friendship and family, with nice performances from all cast!
Adrian B. Adrian B. March 24, 2013
Siblings Sammy and Terry Prescott (Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney, respectively) are leading completely different lives, yet are scarred due to the untimely death of their parents' years before. Terry works in a financial institution under a newly appointed boss (Matthew Broderick), for which she doesn't seem to like for some reason; and at the same time, she is also raising a young son. One day, her emotionally disturbed brother, Sammy, shows up as a recovering drug addict at her door and makes her seemingly balanced life in content. It gets more complicated when Terry begins to sleep with her boss. Well-praised comedy and drama did very little for me. Starts out pretty good but degenerates into mediocrity, mainly thanks to the story and the acting, especially that of annoying Ruffalo. I'm pretty disappointed with this one, as I expected this to be a good film from 2000 (I am finding that year to not have very many good movies).
Andy P August 13, 2008
A terrific little film. If anyone wants to see a tour de force performance, just sit down in front of the TV and let Mark Ruffalo blow your mind away
Alexander C December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
Seb M Seb M November 11, 2012
a powerfully acted, beautifuly crafted film with a simple yet affecting story.
Mike B September 27, 2012
I love this movie. Mark Ruffalo gives one of my all time favorite performances, which should have won him an academy award.
Larissa N January 31, 2012
in short, such an amazing film, as are the 2 leads!!!
Craig F September 11, 2012
Superb movie. One that I has snuck by me for the last 10 years. Lots of great acting and surprised immersed in a deceptively simple story.
PRYentertainment PRYentertainment ½ August 29, 2012
Never boring, but boy did this make me want to smoke a cigarette.
Alex M ½ August 12, 2012
A simple story, but it's so beautifully acted by its two leads that I quickly forgot that. Loved the message it was trying to convey and really just loved the movie overall.