Take Me Home Tonight Reviews

April 20, 2012
Ok, the only reason I started watching this was for Anna Faris, but she didn't even have any comedy scenes!! My favorite parts of the film were the ones between Topher Grace (who, for some reason, I feel like is...getting older and weirder?) and the blonde girl, but calling something "favorite" is kinda stretching it, more like, the "only tolerable parts."
skactopus
½ April 20, 2012
Part comedy, part drama, and part romance, Michael Dowse's Take Me Home Tonight is just that and nothing more.What hurts this picture the most is the predictability and lack of depth with the plot. It isn't atrocious by any means, as the 90 minute story basically spans a single night, which tends to draw some interest. Other than that, there isn't much else that stands out.As usual the laughs are hit or miss, with a good portion of it driven with sexuality, drugs, and drinking. On the other hand, the soundtrack is quite amusing, as it goes with the late '80s setting.Topher Grace only does so much, but for what it's worth he is able to front this film. Dan Fogler frequently pops in and out as the comic relief, which mentioned earlier is hit or miss. The lovely Teresa Palmer is a pleasure to view on screen. It's a good thing she has a bunch of air time. Anna Faris ends up a bit underused.Take Me Home Tonight seemingly gets by when all is said and done. Chance it and move on.
Japes
½ November 19, 2011
This film sucked. I mean I didn't expect much, so I guess I'm not too disappointed.

The overall film was really unoriginal, predictable and cheesy. The writing was absolutely terrible. No one talks like that in real life. The awkward scenes were indeed awkward, but it was like unnecessarily awkward. If the characters in the movie acted like normal people then there wouldn't have been any stupid awkward scenes. The awkward scenes weren't even funny they were just dumb. There were a few funny parts that made me laugh, but that was it.

The end was really predictable. After it was over, I couldn't believe I actually sat through the entire thing. It was really stupid.
blkbomb
November 16, 2011
Matt Franklin: We're all trying to be something that were not. But tonight all of that changes. Tonight, I'm not afraid. Tonight, I got one thing to say to all that bullshit. Fuck it.

"Best. Night. Ever."

For the most part, Take Me Home Tonight is an unfunny and awkward comedy that tries to live solely off of 80's nostalgia. Sure the movie has moments where the comedy works and moments where the audience is cheering for Matt to get the incredibly hot, out of his league Tori. But for most of the movie I was just sitting there thinking that this had nothing new to offer viewers and even the reused plot and jokes weren't pulled off as well as they have been.

The plot is of a young and pretty brilliant guy. He has just graduated from M.I.T. Instead of going and getting a career, he is afraid to move on with his life and instead decides to work at a local video store. Then he runs into his high school crush and decides to go to a party in order to pursue her. From there the plot is extremely typical and does absolutely nothing new.

The movie features a good 80's soundtrack, booze, cocaine and a little sex. It isn't an outrageously raunchy comedy and instead tries to create laughs with its loser protagonist. I can appreciate that, but it would have been nice if any of the situations that Matt was put in were funny. Some moments had the feeling like they were going to be hilarious, but as the scenes progressed, they never made it to that point.

Still this movie is slightly better than I thought it was going to be. The only reason I watched it in the first place was Teresa Palmer.
3niR
October 5, 2011
It's got some funny scenes. Pretty decent movie IMO.
January 14, 2009
I think I need to rewatch this one. I was really highly disappointed with it, as I generally love 80's movies, or movies just set there as this was. I was expecting something similar to The Wedding Singer, I guess, and this wasn't it.
It was set in the 80's and though it looks like it would be more fun than it is, it is not so much a poke at the 80's as a film that happens to be set there. It isn't all that funny as you would expect either.
Has a decent cast, so I will give this one another go at some point. I did like all the outfits and the look of the film. Maybe I will enjoy it more next time when I am not expecting it to be different, and if it alters how I feel about this one, I will rewrite the review.
½ January 27, 2009
It was watchable, but I couldn't really enjoy it as much as I wanted to.
jjnxn
April 17, 2010
Starts well and seems like it will be a cute throwback to a John Hughes type flick but loses ground and it's focus along the way. Ends up not being terrible just dumb.
LWOODS04
December 15, 2010
Cast: Topher Grace, Anna Faris, Dan Fogler, Teresa Palmer, Chris Pratt, Michael Biehn, Lucy Punch, Michelle Trachtenberg, Michael Ian Black, Robert Hoffman

Director: Michael Dowse

Summary: From the writers of "That '70s Show" comes this retro dramatic comedy set a decade later, in the financial boom of the late 1980s, about a recent college grad trying to figure out what to do with his life. Amid the goings-on at a raucous Labor Day party, brilliant but underemployed Matt Franklin (Topher Grace) learns a slew of lessons about life and love in this ensemble-cast film starring Anna Faris, Dan Fogler and Teresa Palmer.

My Thoughts: "I am probably one of the few who loved the movie. I thought it was funny, relatable in some ways (after college fears), and fun. The movie is made to be in the 80's era which makes me love it more. The music, the outfits, the hair, all of it was great. Some are confused that this is suppose to be some type of reference to the films of the magnificent John Hughes. In no way shape or form is that true nor does this film resemble any of his great films. It is it's own film that just happens to be sit in the 80's. The character's are all great fun. The three main character's Barry, Wendy, and Matt are very funny and the actor's are great on screen together. Dan Fogler was very funny in the movie. His best scene for me was the dance off scene. Pure hilarity. The film has one of the most greatest break-up cries I have ever seen in a film. I couldn't stop laughing. It was nice to see Anna Faris play a funny but real character, if that makes sense? She always plays these off the wall character's that have no real depth to them. So it was a nice change. I loved Topher Grace in the lead. I loved him on 'That 70's Show', and I think needs to be in more films. This is a great kick back feel good kind of comedy. So shut the brain off and enjoy."
½ March 8, 2011
Fun movie. Good music. Lots of '80's movies caricatures and references: break-dancing, wind-surfing, and the cocaine blizzard at every party...complete with the funny fat guy sidekick. Kind of silly at times, but enjoyable.
YodaMasterJedi
July 28, 2011
three stars
DreamExtractor
March 1, 2011
What can I say, it was actually prettty enjoyable. Take Me Home Tonight is a comedy that is sweet, heartwarming, good cast, nice plot, and funny moments. Topher Grace was great and I really am a huge fan of him after That 70's Show. Anna Faris gets a little screen time, but shes not funny or really interesting. Dan Folger started to annoy the crap out of me in this, either it was him personally or his character. Teresa Palmer was amazing, her and Topher easily stole the show. The chemistry between the two characters was great and the highlight of the film, and he is living every guys dream, getting a second chance with your high school crush. The plot was good, except for Dan Folgers plot, because he didn't really have one. They truly emphasize the theme of moving on with your life and learning what to do with it. The classic 80's music was great, but the problem is the movie has no real point in making it in the 80's other than money from people who were teens in the 80's and fans of John Hughe. The comedy was just okay, it wasn't nerely hilarious but it had a few good moments, but I really smiled at the sweeter moments. This movie was fun, but could've been much better.
January 14, 2009
Another comedy with a promising premise and a likable cast that doesn't quite live up to its potential. Topher Grace stars as a bright but aimless young man who is clueless about where he wants to go in life, and lies about his job in an effort to get closer to the girl he mooned over throughout high school. A crazy night of partying with the girl (Teresa Palmer), his best friend (Dan Fogler), and his twin sister (Anna Faris) will change all their lives.

I was digging the 80's setting and I can never get enough Teresa Palmer, but the story is really just a hybrid of the coming-of-age and guy gets the girl of his dreams stuff that we see over and over. That doesn't make it bad, but it doesn't help when the movie just isn't as funny as I hoped it would be. There are humorous moments, but nothing to really warrant seeing Take Me Home Tonight more than once.
½ October 2, 2010
Headed by a cast of usual supporting actors in the leads, Take Me Home Tonight is a film that is centered on the eighties but besides the obvious soundtrack and unforgettable references, I could have sworn this was just another lame brand of comedy. (The name of the movie makes no sense with the plot, and the song is never played by the way.) Moving past the generalness of the storyline and extenuating circumstances, this is a surprisingly good film. The three main characters are actually really fleshed out, and the fact that the story deals with fearfulness once graduation is over and you have to start life is very relatable. Grace is especially well cast as yet another gawky, socially awkward, and smart assed genius with a penchant for crushes on hot women who mysteriously fall for him. Fogler, from such forgettable films as Good Luck Chuck and Love Happens, is yet another raunchy sidekick to Grace, drug addled and expletive ridden, having some genuinely funny moments but mostly being an awkward mess. Faris plays outside of her usual role as bimbo bleach blonde and takes on a performance that I'm proud to say is in no way shallow or unbelievable. It was surprising to see great comedians such as Michael Ian Black, Demetri Martin, and Chris Pratt in pretty mediocre roles as well. Altogether this film is neither good nor bad, neither geeky nor raunchy, and lays in the medium strip of lackluster comedy we all hope will get better but are let down on time and again.
July 12, 2011
Best. Night. Ever.

Nice

Movies that happen all in one night normally are funny but a little over rated, Take Me Home tonight is not one of those. It is a simple movie with a simple story line that is rather funny.

Story is about Matt (Grace) who is at a neutral point in his life where he doesn't know what path to take. He is than invited to a high school reunion where he meets his high school crush, and can prove to his friends his family and himself that he is not afraid to take a shot.

Overall a fun movie worth watching, the acting is rather good, but Fogler is horrible. The movie is not unique but will make you laugh at some points. Nothing great but worth watching with some friends in a regular movie night.

Barry :"Why can't you give yourself one night of enjoyment? Just one night? Put a little relish on your hot dog!"
½ June 20, 2011
'Take Me Home Tonight' is the type of movie everyone wants to love, and even has a few moments that generate genuine laughs. However, the writing is pretty lazy, and the plot has been beaten to death by other (much better executed) films. Teresa Palmer is gorgeous, and Chris Pratt is hilarious as Anna Faris' idiot boyfriend. Don't waste money seeing this, but if you really want to watch it, wait until it's on HBO. Grade: C-
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ June 18, 2011
"Best. Night. Ever."

Follow an aimless college grad who pursues his dream girl at a wild Labor Day weekend party. He, his twin sister and their best friend struggle with their burgeoning adulthood over the course of the night.

REVIEW
If you didn't know any better, you'd actually think you were watching an 80s movie with Take Me Home Tonight. While not delivering the strong emotional depth of a John Hughes film, it still possesses the same qualities in its zany humor, incredible retro soundtrack and at its heart as Matt Franklin (Topher Grace) leaves his position at a lab and much to his father's disapproval begins working at a video store where Matt's young life crisis takes a bigger turn when his twin sister (Anna Faris) gets engaged, his best friend (Dan Fogler) gets fired from his job and Matt's high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), comes back into his life. In true, hilarious 80s fashion, the ensemble is thrust into a crazy night of partying, mischief and self-discovery. It is a simple, unoriginal story that seems almost contained, but yet is this great adventure with characters you feel a connection to. With what seems like the perfect cast, it is only a movie of this styling (a homage to the great films of the 80s) that can have absolutely no point and still be enjoyable. From the awkward moments to those that are more sentimental, this film is just a fun time that is more or less forgettable but you have a great time with it!
March 21, 2011
An average rom com where an unlikely guy hooks up with a girl out of his league by natural charm and embarrassing honesty. To be truthful sometimes I completely forgot it was set in an 80s time period.
MANUGINO
March 15, 2010
Best. Night. Ever.

This is a funny movie which I really liked even though is not a great movie. The story is quite simple and dark humored at times. The film has been showed in a different way as others similar movies before thus I really enjoyed it and felt entertained all throughout it.

As the summer of 1988 winds down, three friends on the verge of adulthood attend an out-of-control party in celebration of their last night of unbridled youth. Starring Topher Grace, Anna Faris, Dan Fogler and Teresa Palmer, Take Me Home Tonight is a raunchy, romantic and ultimately touching blast from the past set to an awesome soundtrack of timeless rock and hip-hop hits. Recent MIT grad Matt Franklin (Topher Grace) should be working for a Fortune 500 company and starting his upward climb to full-fledged yuppie-hood. Instead, the directionless 23-year-old confounds family and friends by taking a part-time job behind the counter of a video store at the Sherman Oaks Galleria. But Matts silent protest against maturity comes to a screeching halt once his unrequited high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer), walks into the store. When she invites him to an epic, end-of-summer party, Matt thinks he finally might have a chance with the girl of his dreams. With his cynical twin sister Wendy (Anna Faris) and best friend Barry (Dan Fogler), Matt embarks on a once-in-a-lifetime evening. From stealing a car to a marriage proposal to an indescribable, no-holds-barred dance-off, these friends share experiences that will change the course of their lives on one unforgettable night in the Go-Go 80s.
June 11, 2011
Take Me Home Tonight isn't really an 80s nostalgia movie, nor is it a declaration of love to John Hughes movies. It actually is an 80s movie that just happened to be made in 2011. Everything from the characters to the outfits is undeniably dead on and flawless. Now I think most people's question is why do this? My answer would be that it's due to the fact that the time period holds some of the best coming of age movies and teen comedies that you can find. However, this is almost completely original in its 80s backdrop. There aren't too many direct homages to other movies at the time, which is the main reason you can take it as an actual wacky 80s adventure. It's views on drugs, marriage and careers are hilariously naive, but also know's where to say that this is all intentional and not just irresponsible. Topher Grace does a great job of capturing the epitome of an insecure yet secretly cool character. Teresa Palmer also completely nails the blonde bombshell in a way that's familiar, but somehow fresh. In fact, all of these characters are so well written because none of them come off as fake or goofy stereotypes, they just represent the time perfectly. It's hard to nail an 80s look without going too far, but this knows how to do it perfectly. The clothes, set design, music and props are all so consciously nonchalant and it works perfectly. While Take Me Home Tonight's plot is undoubtedly familiar to classics like Better off Dead and Say Anything, it separates itself by having all these people being graduates and actually in the process of starting their real lives. It avoids too many high school moments and has all of the characters facing really genuine problems and fears. Now some people are either not going to get this at all or not see the point of it, but for those who do and for those who love 80s comedies, you're basically in for a great time. No movie like this has ever done such a ridiculously good job of masking an entire decade. In this case, it feels like they weren't even trying it's so good. This gives you really fun characters, endless subplots and mixed life messages, but that's kind've perfect for the mood it was trying to create.