Young Adult Reviews

April 11, 2015
Unexpectedly serious study of a lost soul. If Michael Fassbender gave the best male performance of 2011 in Shame -- Charlize Theron gave us the finest turn by a female actor in this highly intelligent cinematic work. Paramount really failed the movie in the way it was promoted. I think many expect it to a be comedy. It isn't. This is a tragic story with a few realistic comedic turns. Sad societal commentary.
March 12, 2015
a cringe-worthy comedy that labours to wring pathos out of a damaging situation filled with damaged people, theron's anchor role makes use of her talents, unfortunately the plot sours by turning away from her vapidity, mostly hit-and-miss
January 30, 2015
Polarising for sure but a great performance from Theron and a barbed script from Cody put this firmly in my thumbs up column. Full review later.
½ March 28, 2012
Subtly hilarious, very enjoyable. Theron owns her role
August 20, 2011
Funny movie. Great performances
½ January 27, 2013
Patton Oswalt gives an excellent performance and Charlize Theron plays such a good bitch.
½ December 1, 2014
It's portrayal of someone who didn't know how to "grow up" is pretty accurate, and it tells it in a humorous way, which pulls off as a great movie.
½ June 1, 2012
Charlize Theron was awesome but meh.
December 26, 2011
Reminds me of someone I know lol.
October 30, 2014
The authoress of the titular genre is also the female protagonists she writes about - pretty, spoilt and mean. Theron is terrific as the mildly psychotic homecoming prom queen who comes pursuing her happiness and her already married high school sweetheart and has a rude awakening to an actual adulthood.
August 29, 2013
Harsh, dark, and hilarious, "Young Adult" is owed a great debt to Theron, who turns in an unbelievably layered performance as a young adult author living a prolonged adolescence.
September 16, 2014
Related to it. Didn't like the ending.
October 12, 2014
Charlize Theron as Mavis sold this show for me- she was such a bitch but I just loved her.
October 9, 2014
I officially don't like Diablo Cody. ┬ Juno was nice and quirky, made even more appealing by Ellen Page. ┬ However, after that abysmal show, The United States of Tara and now this poorly written movie, I'm convicted that, while performances, like the superb ones by Patton Oswalt and Charlize Theron in Young Adult, can enhance bad writing, it can't mask it. ┬ This movie is full of holes, the inability to stay focused on a solid story and, at the beginning, painfully dull. ┬ By the end, I'm affected by Charlize's near-perfect portrayal of a self-righteous, arrogant, narcissistic depressive, so she played the part well. ┬ In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that Diablo's screenplay could have had a hand I how this messed up character is displayed, but the overall story is choppy, poorly plotted and void of basic comprehension in certain areas that I feel as though I could have written it
October 2, 2014
It probably should not be dubbed a comedy as it is more tragic & somber than funny, but it still has a well delevered if clichÚ message.
September 29, 2014
Charlize Theron is being a messy, dark and being so crazy. A woman chasing this ex bf on her old town which made her depression cause shes crazy in love with this guy Buddy Slade. Charlize is amazing in it. She is so awesome on her comeback performance, she is just being natural and wild at the same time on this very complicated role of a woman. Though the film is not being funny, but it tells a story of the dark side of a martyr woman that somebody could relate off. Amazing screenplay, amazing performances, and another "must see" Reitman film for young adults like us.
September 29, 2014
The story is fairly clunky, but this dark comedy does feature razor-sharp wit, wisdom, and a fantastic performance by Charlize Theron.
September 23, 2014
Theron was awesome but don't forget Patton Oswalt in his most funniest yet saddest performance to date.
September 21, 2014
Diablo y Reitman que buena combinaciˇn, una historia sobre seguir a delante.