my thought

it was a pretty nice horror flick, loved the gruesome the film had. Sharni Vinson is one bad ass chick. she's like the only one from the cast that im more familiar with cause she was also in step up 2 & Bait. it was like a horror verison of Home Alone.
Thomas Levesque
08-24-2013 08:13 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Mike Fischer

Mike Fischer

Very predictable in my opinion with very little to actually scare you. I laughed more than anything else. The characters were also badly played and the story hard to believe. I love a good horror movie, but this was not it...

Sep 3 - 07:45 AM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

Did you steal my old avatar or is this all coincidence???

Sep 3 - 09:47 AM

Chase The Lost

Did you steal my avatar??? That was the first avatar I ever had on this site.

Sep 3 - 09:48 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Why don't you cry about it?

Sep 4 - 11:37 AM

Chase The Lost

The last time I heard that was in ninth grade. For someone who has enough creativity to invent a ton of fairly original fake accounts, why can't you come up with a better insult than that?

Sep 5 - 11:12 AM

Jamie Decourley

Jamie Decourley

Wow another scathingly cynical review...super impressed

Oct 7 - 12:38 AM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomolede

You're Next is the best home invasion film since The Indian in the Cupboard.

Sep 2 - 06:53 PM

Chase The Lost

Lol what?

Sep 2 - 08:05 PM

Christian Delgado

Christian Delgado

You're Next was a very enjoyable movie. Yes, the plot was a bit unoriginal in some parts but the black humor, excellent take on scares and Sharni Vinson was what made this movie. Sharni Vinson proves that she is a very good actor and one bad ass chick. The problems with this movie was that even though the movie was credited as smart and fresh, honestly Sharni Vinsons character was the only smart person in this movie and there were tired out horror cliches still inserted in this movie, like for example (SPOILER ALERT) getting killed after sex, running into the woods alone, looking under the bed and not checking everywhere in the house were inserted. Also the plot twist was quite predictable honestly and for a tired out reason, although the final fight scenes with Vinson and the killers is epic. All in all, You're Next is a great spin on the home invasion and horror genre and brought new meaning to the final girl but isn't as smart and fresh as it wants it to be. It still contains tired out cliches, predictable plot twists, and a tired out horror ending. Can't wait to see Sharni Vinson on The All Female Expendables Moviemand future projects.

Aug 30 - 12:11 AM

cj t.

cj thomas

Sorry but the acting was horrible. Not one person acted rationally throughout the movie. The running head start death was perhaps the dumbest thing Ive seen in a while.
Another thing, this movie cant be considered a home invasion movie. I mean the killers never even had to break into the house. Everyone died in a stupid and illogical way. I felt like the director just watched KILL BILL and wanted to make a movie with same character. I should have left half way and got my money back.

Aug 30 - 06:34 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

"final fight scenes with Vinson and the killers is epic" Um, EPIC, wow. I can't believe you even say this. This statement totally discredits you. I wonder if you even saw the same movie. The last 1-2 deaths were boring and dumb. How was it EPIC?

Aug 30 - 06:38 PM

Christian Delgado

Christian Delgado

Dude I hope you do realize that it is an opinion. Everybody is entitled to one. And I agree with you on some points but the part where you state Sharni Vinson wasn't smart in this movie I can state that she probably was the only smart person. I hope you realize that Kill Bill is a revenge movie, right? And so what if he was trying to make a strong female heroine? And yes Sharni Vinson at the end with the two killers was considerably great. And yes I saw the movie, why would think I was reviewing the movie?

Sep 2 - 12:36 PM

Jamie Decourley

Jamie Decourley

This was a star making performance for vinson after a good turn in Bait...Maybe you just didn't get it but the walked the fine line of being what it was and making fun of what it was..The actors used excluding Vinson were fan favorites from other wingard films. Some people are worth listening to and some people are just trying to see who can write the sharpest cynical comment..you're either the latter or have no idea of what fans of the genre crave and why we watch 100+ truly crappy genre flicks in search of one "You're Next"

Oct 7 - 12:21 AM

cj t.

cj thomas

Anyways, I think most of the reviews are studio plants, how can anyone in there right mind say this is "best slasher movie to come out in over 30 years."
Again im sorry for the spoiler, I just started posting on RT today because I thought I had to stop the FRAUD going on. When I saw this review from Thomas, I had to join RT and tell you guys the truth about the movie.
Im sick of going to see a movie based on good reviews like this one and coming out wanting my money back. I just wanted to help you guys save some money.

Aug 29 - 03:03 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

At least i saved you $8.50 anyways. This movie is barely worth a watch on DVD. Sorry for the spoiler, I did put a spoiler note down there, didnt know there was a class on how to post spoiler notes.

Aug 29 - 02:59 PM

Chase The Lost

Lol I'm not trying to be a stickler but if you're going to reveal a twist that important to the story, you should really make the alert larger. Some users just skim posts.

Aug 29 - 03:14 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

Ok I will, sorry. Im new to forum postings

Aug 29 - 03:35 PM

Chase The Lost

No need to apologize. *hands you a beer*

Aug 29 - 04:54 PM

Jamie Decourley

Jamie Decourley

Awesome CJ encourage people not spend money to independent horror...maybe with a few more idiots like you we can kill off the whole horror genre...but then what would assholes like you have to bitch about to people that don't want to hear it.

Oct 7 - 12:44 AM

Chase The Lost

*SPOILER ALERT BELOW*

Jesus Christ, CJ. Put the spoiler warning in all caps.

Aug 29 - 02:32 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

The review above from Thomas Levesque is obviously a studio plant. You're next was a terrible movie. I saw it last night and it had to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

How did this movie get a 75% rating. The plot was stupid, there was nothing smart or clever about this movie. It felt like the type of movie you would watch on sci-fi really.

After each death, I felt really nothing at all. The characters were not developed enough to really care. It supposed to be a horror movie, but I was not once scared.
Halfway through the movie I almost left because of one of the worst plot holes I have ever seen. Warning: spoiler ahead
After the mother is killed upstairs in a room with a window that is locked, nobody cares to search the room for the killer who is hiding under the bed again. I mean, everyone ran upstairs to help her after they heard her scream, but why doesnt anyone check the closet or the bed. What the heck! The killers in this movie are retards anyways, they are the hillbilly house builders. They even talked like retards.

So if you're looking for a clever, scary, dark horror film, this is not it. Rottentomatoes should be rating this at 30-40 %. Even "The Purge" was better than this garbage. Forget this movie and just go rewatch "The Strangers"

Aug 29 - 01:57 PM

Yazmin Hernandez

Yazmin Hernandez

Oh my fuck. You've posted the same shit on every you're next forum. There's some cliches in the movie but it's over all a fun film. Half of the movie was full of hilarious and well executed dark comedy (which a lot of idiots didn't catch) plus if you're a fan of hotline miami you would appreciate the movie much more. And the strangers? Jesus fuck.

Aug 30 - 04:16 PM

Chase The Lost

Who didn't get the dark humor? It's so blatant and obvious.

Aug 31 - 03:13 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW

I didn't laugh once the entire movie, well, okay maybe once. I kept laughing because the booby-trapped front door never got much use. Everyone kept making use of the one and only broken side window despite already running into the nail traps.
The humor was really dry in this movie. I laughed my ass off in Olympus has fallen. Now that is dark humor.

All together:
Direction = C
Script = F
Actiing = D underacted (I really wanted to feel something for the characters, but their emotions and actions never once convinced me. When you lost a brother, wife, or a daughter, I think I would be crying my heart out.

How dont you like "THE STRANGERS"? Everything was better in that movie: the build, the story, and the emotions exerted from the characters. Lets not forget about the cleverly scary killers who actually get away scott clean at the end of the movie only to do god knows what next.

Oh yeah, I forgot, there was an actual soundtrack to "The Strangers"

Sep 1 - 04:23 PM

Chase The Lost

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sep 1 - 09:57 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

Sounded like You're Next had a limited soundtrack budget. Repeat Disc! I wondered if they were trying to mimic 80's synth soundtracks later in the movie.

What others were perceiving as humor, I just saw as unbelievably nasty characters. During the final conversation at the end I thought "Oh, this parts supposed to be funny".

Sep 26 - 09:25 PM

Jamie Decourley

Jamie Decourley

That's right C.J. all the reviews were plants every nine out of ten on this site...all plants. Because that's what studios do ya know..they spend millions paying of top critics so they can trick us into seeing a movie that probably cost less than 2 million to make...The movies actually been finished for over a year and after the studio saw it and loved it they delayed it and decided to actually spend more than the films budget in marketing it...I actually appreciate that a great deal.

Oct 7 - 12:28 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I just got back from the theatre and I can say that You're Next is probably the best slasher movie to come out in over 30 years. I thought that It was definitely a huge step up for both Director Adam Wingard and writer Simon Barret. It's more of a dark comedy than it is a horror movie (much like Scream and Cabin in the Woods), but where for me movie's like Cabin in the Woods failed, You're next succeeded. Mind you it wasn't perfect though, allot of the actors could have been better (although a few of them included Sharni Vinson were great, but allot of the actors who played the family members didn't exactly deliver the best performances) and I thought that they could have gave the film a better ending, but for the most part I still really really liked it. I'd probably have to give it and 8.5/10 It breathed life into to the Slasher genre which really hasn't delivered anything this solid in decades.

Aug 29 - 01:29 AM

Chase The Lost

In 30 years, dude? Come on now. What did You're Next do that amazed you so much?

Aug 29 - 06:08 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I found You're next impressed me as much as it did because since after the 80s, almost every slasher movie was absolutely horrendous and at best decent. Since after the 80s I don't think any of the slasher movies I've seen have gotten any reviews a 7/10 in my book. I think the last slasher movie that I actually really enjoyed as much or more than You're Next was probably Tenebrae. I mean there were one or two half decent one's in the 90s and 2000s (none of which that I've seen I'd give over a 7.5. Although I haven't seen Scream or Behind the Mask yet, which both got pretty solid reviews as well). So essentially for me You're Next had enough black humour and was well executed enough for me to actually have a fun time watching a new slasher movie again, which I haven't done in a very long time.

Aug 29 - 08:40 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I found You're next impressed me as much as it did because since after the 80s, almost every slasher movie was absolutely horrendous and at best decent. Since after the 80s I don't think any of the slasher movies I've seen have gotten any reviews above 7/10 in my book. I think the last slasher movie that I actually really enjoyed as much or more than You're Next was probably Tenebrae. I mean there were still some pretty good one's in the rest of the 80s, but only one or two half decent one's in the 90s and 2000s. so essentially for me You're Next had enough black humour and was well executed enough for me to actually have a fun time watching a new slasher movie again, which I haven't done in a very long time.

Aug 29 - 08:43 AM

Chase The Lost

Inside, Martyrs, Malevolence, Frontier(s), Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, The Strangers (yes.), Reeker, Toolbox Murders remake...all of these are significantly better than You're Next. Especially Inside.

Aug 29 - 09:14 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I didn't like Inside, I thought it kind of sucked and I'd say the same thing about the Strangers. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the other movie's since I haven't seen them, but I still have to completely disagree with you that you thought the Strangers or Inside were even anywhere at close to (or better for that matter) then You're Next.

Aug 29 - 04:33 PM

Chase The Lost

:O lol I mean...I have to respect your opinion but, really? Inside is a beautiful decent into some of the most visceral horror I've ever seen in a film.

Aug 29 - 04:53 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Well it's all opinion anyway. I think we had a similar discussion about the Evil Dead remake. For the most part though, all the French slasher movie's that people have been raving about I wasn't really able to get into. I still haven't seen Martyr's but I'll probably get around to it eventually. I know the French slasher films have a huge cult following, but for me they just seem to be allot of gore without the tension to reinforce it. If I end up thinking Martyrs is good when I get around to it I may revise my opinion, but really for me most of the newer slasher films haven't really spoken to me.

Aug 30 - 02:47 AM

Chase The Lost

Well, Martyrs is a film that you have to watch with an open mind. I've never seen a horror film that makes you think as deeply as this one does. It forces you to be philosophical and if you don't, you're left with the perception of a bland and pretentious film. You're right, we did have a similar discussion about the Evil Dead remake. I also accused you of saying things you never said like I'm an idiot lol. Again, sorry about that, by the way.

Aug 30 - 08:18 AM

Chase The Lost

Well, Martyrs is a film that you have to watch with an open mind. I've never seen a horror film that makes you think as deeply as this one does. It forces you to be philosophical and if you don't, you're left with the perception of a bland and pretentious film. You're right, we did have a similar discussion about the Evil Dead remake. I also accused you of saying things you never said because I'm an idiot lol. Again, sorry about that, by the way.

Aug 30 - 08:19 AM

Jamie Decourley

Jamie Decourley

True all the films chase named were great films "except the toolbox murders remake" but I wouldn't exactly put those films in the same category as 'You're Next" and I'm wondering if you stuck around for the end of "Inside" The end of that film was truly stupid and ruined a decent thriller. Marytrs is the best horror film of the last two decades. Inside was a good Idea gone bad in the hands of bad filmmakers. "The Woman" was better than "Inside"...get a grip man... just seeing foreign horror films doesn't impress true fans.

Oct 7 - 12:36 AM

Chase The Lost

Jamie, I own Inside and I had absolutely no problem with the film's finale. It's just an opinion. Don't imply that I'm not a true fan because I have a different opinion than you do. That's incredibly stupid and childish. I forgot about "The Woman." It really was a great film, I admit.

By the way, the reason I included The Toolbox Murders remake in my list is to voice my disdain for You're Next. I'm aware that The Toolbox Murders remake was awful. You're Next doesn't have a genre. The point is to combine the slasher sub-genres into one film under the guise of a home invasion thriller.

Oct 30 - 02:55 PM

cj t.

cj thomas

Probably another studio plant.

Aug 29 - 03:04 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

I was filled with doubt maybe 30 minutes in. I couldn't be sure if there was any humor being presented until near the end. I just thought it had some slimy characters.

Sep 26 - 09:13 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I just got back from the theatre and I can say that You're Next is probably the best slasher movie to come out in over 30 years. I thought that It was definitely a huge step up for both Director Adam Wingard and writer Simon Barret. It's more of a dark comedy than it is a horror movie (much like Scream and Cabin in the Woods), but where for me movie's like Cabin in the Woods failed, You're next succeeded. Mind you it wasn't perfect though, allot of the actors could have been better (a few or them included Sharni Vinson were great, but allot of the actors who played the family members didn't exactly deliver the best performances) and I thought that they could have gave the film a better ending, but for the most part I still really really liked it. I'd probably have to give it and 8.5/10 It breathed life into to the Slasher genre which really hasn't delivered anything this solid in decades.

Aug 29 - 01:28 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile