Youth in Revolt Reviews

January 10, 2010
A dark satirical comedy. it took me a little bit to warm up to it but once I did I really enjoyed it.
September 6, 2012
Milquetoast Michael Cera as a pencil-mustache-sportin' evil alter ego is entertaining enough, but the rest of the boy-ruins-his-life-for-a-girl story is pretty banal and quite tame surprisingly. Portia Doubleday as Sheeni isn't much of a siren either, but Rooney Mara looks satisfyingly hot and mean. The part with Adhir Kalyan from "Rules of Engagement" in his skivvies is funny.
January 13, 2010
A cracking indy coming of age movie with the ever so funny Michael Cera. Really did not no what i was going to get here but it turns out to been a very funny and surreal comedy.Its when Cera French auter ego takes over that Cera really shines. All surrporting cast are so good with justin long adding a little fun too.
This is a pleasant surprise and worth checking out.There are many laughs to have here.
July 11, 2012
A new level in Michael Cera's carrer, Young in Revolt could be more other sex teen comedy, but the crude and satirical material of Miguel Arteta change this cliche kind of movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 19, 2010
Youth In Revolt is a terrible, virtual laugh free comedy. This film was so bad, I had to stop it 45 minutes in. It didn't get better or funnier. Not even Zach Galifianakis made this film any funnier. The dialogue is so stupid, the acting beyond terrible and you really do feel sorry for how lame Michael Cera is with women.. What a lame actor he is, they basically took his so-so character Evan from Superbad and made him worse by making him wimpier and more depressing. I left in the middle and went to finish Mystic River instead.
blkbomb
½ December 6, 2011
Francois Dillinger: I want to tickle your belly button... From the inside.

"He Wasn't a Rebel Until He Found His Cause."

I put off seeing Youth in Revolt for the longest time. The trailer didn't impress me and I thought the movie looked completely stupid. Granted it is stupid, but not in a bad way. I ended up really liking the film. I loved the independent feel to the movie, with occurrences like weird sexual diagrams coming to life and floating in midair during a mushroom trip. I liked Michael Cera's typecast performance as the lovable geek. I know Cera is starting to run thin with people, but I still find his performances to be hilarious. Maybe this is because I see a lot of myself in him.

A 16 year old falls in love with a beautiful girl, when his mother and her boyfriend move the family away for the summer. When they are forced to leave, the two devise a plan where he will get himself kicked out of the house. This will allow him to move in with his father and be close to his girlfriend. In order to get kicked out, he has to get in touch with his bad side. His bad aide ends up making all his decisions for him the rest of the movie, while trying to help him get the girl and get laid.

Youth in Revolt is a movie that is going to divide people. You will either sit there and be saying to yourself, "This is awesome" or "This is retarded." I was sitting there saying, "This is awesome." It's a different movie and I loved it for that. Sure it has the same main plot as a lot of the other teen comedies, but this one adds a lot of originality to the mix and makes for a special film.

I'm not going to argue with people who don't like the movie because I can definitely see why. It really isn't a movie for anyone out of their 20's. Middle aged to the elderly just won't get this movie. It's truly a movie for the young. I really wish I hadn't waited so long to see it.
½ June 24, 2011
Surprisingly dark and audacious, Youth in Revolt will nonetheless probably be remembered as the movie where Michael Cera first broke out of type. His portrayal of Francois, a typical Truffaut anti-hero with a bone to pick with society, is aware and amusing, though I think a lot of people will misread that half of his performance as attempting to be "badass." He isn't badass, particularly; this is simply him channeling the prototypical mustachioed too-cool-for-you rebels who can't actually put their money where their mouth is. That's why the Nick Twisp persona exists - he's the one following through on Francois's manipulative goading because you get the feeling that someone like Francois would never, ever do the wack shit that Nick gets himself into. Watching him crawl deeper into the rabbit hole is a truly uncomfortable experience, and Youth in Revolt scores most of its laughs through unabashed cringe humor; it isn't entirely effective, sure, and anyone looking for a straight comedy will almost surely be disappointed. This is mostly a movie about kids leading shitty lives and trying desperately to protect the few bright spots that punctuate them.
Mr Awesome
½ June 27, 2011
Michael Cera gets a bad rap for basically playing the same character in every one of his movies. There's something to be said for an actor who finds niche for himself in the movie industry. John Wayne is famous for being a cowboy and Micheal Cera is famous for being a quirky teen. In fact, one can take for granted that Cera will be just fine in whatever quirky teen role he's in and spend their time focusing more on the film surrounding him. Youth in Revolt is actually a pretty entertaining film about quirky teens.

Michael Cera is stuck with his slutty mom and her dirty hobo boyfriend (Zach Galifianakis) who is on the run from sailors after selling them a broken down car. The three go up to a trailer park for a vacation-on-the-lam, and it's there Cera meets Sheeni (Portia Doubleday), an equally quirky teen who fulfills all the requisite "heartbreaker" qualities a quirky male teen might look for in a girl. Cera adopts an alter ego persona named Francois Dillinger to help him overcome his fears and become a sauve ladies man. Well, not necessarily adopts, Francois is sort of a guardian angel-type character that follows him around, advising him on how to handle certain situations. The film, while being a romantic indie comedy, goes to some pretty dark places, what with the drugs and obsessive stalker types. It's all done with full self awareness, for as they point out in the film, being a teenager is about emotional extremes, where things seem black-and-white, life-or-death, and hormonal attraction is so palpable, it might as well be a physical thing standing next to you in the room.
murphmann93
½ June 23, 2011
Quirky yet funny. I weirdly liked it and Michael Cera is a great actor. His potryal of two different people is hilarous. A must see!
½ May 4, 2011
A typical rom-com which doesn't provide enough fun. Michael Cera does well as Nick Twisp but his alter ego was terribly annoying.
DreamExtractor
April 5, 2011
Micheal Cera can't act, he is a woman. They needed a more cooler actor here to fit the role, not Cera. The plot was interesting and fun. The movie itself is surprisingly funny, I was laughing a lot. The minor characters stesl the show as they are much funnier than Cera. This movie was good, but a lot of changes couldve made it great.
January 26, 2011
The tone is a little all over the place, but there are moments of brilliance here and there. Descent movie in need of a few re-writes.
½ January 26, 2011
Between Youth in Revolt and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World I'm beginning to think I might have judged Michael Cera a little harshly. True, he's a one-trick pony that generally wears thin quickly, but as his character's alter-ego, Francois Dillinger, he rocked this movie. The rest of Youth in Revolt was pretty amusing and reasonably funny even if a lot of the supporting cast was misused (mainly Steve Buscemi), the animation was a little tedious and the story was uneven. I'm not going to call Youth in Revolt essential viewing but it was worth the time and thank God for the R-rating. And if a Francois Dillinger sequel ever comes out I'm definitely there.
January 11, 2010
Director Miguel Arteta's adaptation of the novel by C.D. Payne is a smart-alecky escapade about love and teen angst. Nick Twisp is a 14 year old smitten with an attractive neighbor. His goal to lose his virginity is not the noblest of objectives, but it allows for many witty one-liners on the difficulties of dating and romance. It might've helped if his dream girl, Sheeni Saunders, was a bit more tender. She treats him with casual indifference for most of the film. Despite being one of star Michael Cera's lesser efforts, the story still has several moments of genuine humor: his accidental act of arson, those Kama Sutra hallucinations, or his failure at faking his own death are funnier because of his quirky charm. The action is populated with eccentric individuals with which Nick playfully interacts. One such character is Nick's alter ego Francois Dillinger, brazen and confident in the ways of seduction. This writer's device is somewhat reminiscent of Woody Allen's reliance on Humphrey Bogart in Play It Again Sam. Youth in Revolt is not even close to that legendary film's appeal, but in 2009, you could do worse.
deano
½ September 23, 2009
With his striped polo shirt and monotone shrugging, Michael Cera's become such a caricature that any film which recasts him as his evil alter ego is a welcome change of pace. The twee star goes bizarro-world schizoid in Youth in Revolt, acquiring a sleazy moustache, perpetually lit cigarette and bad-boy moniker - Francois Dillinger - to scam his way to the girl of his dreams.
More pasty Jean-Paul Belmondo than Tyler Durden, Francois nonetheless makes an entertaining antihero, whether he's trashing trailers, blowing up cars or talking smut to his wimpy real-life doppelganger.
As directed by Miquel Arteta, this has an easy, unaffected rhythm, and Gustin Nash's script is frequently funny as it strives for a cutesy synthesis of Wes Anderson and Ghost World.
Shame that whenever Francois isn't on screen the movie reverts to a routine Cera-verse. Still, the sight of Cera being arrested in a woman's nightgown is somehow quite special.
January 10, 2011
Underrated and misunderstood it seems. Youth in Revolt made me laugh consistently throughout, thanks mostly to the script and the great performance by Michael Cera. The supporting cast is impressive but are unnecessary, as Michael Cera carrys this film off by himself. A real breath of fresh air amid the usual bile inducing teen films of late but then I think it's fair to say that this film is a little more universal than that, it's just been marketed badly. If you would rather watch American Pie type films then avoid this and watch the million sequels they've made instead. Then please shoot yourself. Youth in Revolt is brilliant.
½ January 8, 2010
What starts out as an excercise in by-the-books hipster douchebaggery quickly becomes a smart, funny and quite "different" coming of age story with sporadic moments of hilarity. Colorful array of supporting players and a charming performance from Portia Doubleday highten the material. Michael Cera is pretty good here too, in what is one of his best starring vehicles to date.
erika250
August 17, 2010
looked fake to me.
½ November 30, 2010
"I want to tickle your belly button... From the inside"

Miguel Arteta directed 'Good Girl' back in 2002, starring Jennifer Aniston. I liked the film (did anyone else?) and was pleased to see that 'Youth In Revolt' had Arteta as the director. Michael Cera has labeled himself as the prototype geek but I've enjoyed his movies without any exceptions, so 'Youth In Revolt' can't miss. But is it a hit?

Nick Twisp, who is ashamed of his last name, is balancing his life between intellectual hobbies and hormonal lust. He lives with his mother and spends his days listening to Frank Sinatra and having the occassional wank. One day, he and his mother along with her boyfriend, go on a vacation. There, Nick meets Sheeni, an intellectual girl with whom he falls in love with. When everything seems to go fine with them, the vacation ends and Nick is forced to leave Sheeni behind. There's only one way how Nick can get back to Sheeni. Be as bad as possible and get his mother to kick him out to live with his father. If it only would be that easy...

'Youth In Revolt' is a nice indie teen film, where a young boy battles authorities for the sake of love. The story doesn't give anything new to the genre. But it does bring a lot of laughs. It's humor is pretty "dry", reminding me of Wes Anderson's films. Cera does a good performance as Nick Twisp and his alter ego Francois Dillinger. His feminine body language is perfect for the role. I'm just afraid that Cera won't get that easily out of these roles anymore. He's been typecast.

There are several supporting characters that I would've wanted to know more of. Erik Knudsen's Lefty was an interesting character and Fred Willard's Mr. Ferguson was also a good one. But the film concentrates solely on Nick and Sheeni. A lot of potential was left behind.

'Youth In Revolt' is a good film that will surely entertain. And it also teaches us men what the purpose of our little finger is... The end result is obvious but I'll guarantee that you'll enjoy this film if you're in to indie film. The animations at the beginning and the end are also worth a look.
January 7, 2010
This was quirky enough to appeal to me. Michael Cera is fast becoming one of my favourite actors - he always seems to take on interesting movies, and though he's always a bit of a dork in them, is always likeable. (Well, to be fair he does take a break from that here - his alter ego Francois is not very likeable at all, and actually a bigger dork than the Nick character, though meant to be cool). I really liked Jean Smart as the trashy mother and Steve Buscemi as the father, perfect choice to play father of Michael Cera!
This is a really cute coming of age film., seemed quite true to life to me and I could relate to most of these characters without being anything like them. Portia Doubleday is great as the manipulative Sheeni also.
My one complaint is that the end felt a bit rushed for me, I think this could have gone for an extra 20 minutes or so without wearing out its welcome.
The other thing that bugged me is that the poster for this does not seem to match the movie. I kept waiting for Portia Doubleday to show up with the very blonde hair she has in the poster and it never happened, she is very mousy in this - maybe that's the other reason this felt incomplete - I was waiting to see the scene that came from. Obviously the poster was done well after the movie was finished. I'm quite sure it is only me who would worry about something like that!