Zathura Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 10, 2014
Zathura has been easily compared to the 1995 fantasy comedy, Jumanji, and it's no secret why. Both films share similar plotlines. However, this film has more of a science fiction edge to the story that makes it a bit different. If you forget the similarities between the films, this is a fun, entertaining picture that is worth seeing because there are several worthwhile moments due to a well crafted script, good cast and good direction from director Jon Favreau. The film has good effects, and plenty of thrills to really make it a highly entertaining picture from start to finish. The film isn't perfect, but for the most part, it's a worthwhile affair that is sure to appeal to genre fans. With a fine mix of comedy and Sci Fi Fantasy, Zathura is a film that accomplishes things that Jumanji did not, even if they thread similar ground, both films are good for what they are. With that being said, Zathura is a fun, entertaining picture that is very well done. The film shouldn't be dismissed so easily, as it possesses enough charm to make this film worth your time. With Favreau's direction, he is able to craft a rousing comedic adventure that uses a familiar idea, but makes it different with a few changes to the story. Zathura's strength lies in the imaginative aspect of the story, even if it's similar to Jumanji, the film uses fresh ideas to tell its own story by introducing different ideas, concepts that work well to keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Both Jumanji and Zathura are fun and entertaining films, and each have their qualities that make them standout. Forget the similarities, go into this one with an open mind, and you're surely going to enjoy it. Like I said, even if threads similar ground, this is nonetheless a film worth seeing due to a fun story, terrific visuals a fun cast and constant thrills.
April 8, 2011
So the pitch meeting for this one was basically, "Hey, how can we just copy Jumanji, but have even less plot?" There's barely a story here. Brothers fight, then a list of stuff happens as they pull cards, then a happy ending. Lack of imagination, an entire cast of unlikeable characters, and some sub-par effects (those creature puppets were horrible) make this a film we won't be watching again anytime soon, if ever.
DreamExtractor
April 4, 2011
I never liked Zathura, and I don't know why others did. The effects were childish, the acting wasn't anything impressive, and the plot was simple enough. I know it was an adaption for the book and for the most part it was a well made adaption, but then it takes a wild turn for the worst. Its not a great movie to me.
michael e.
½ January 31, 2011
The effects were great, the robot was very interesting, The lizards were great, the only problem i have with the movie is how it doesnt follow the book that well, now i understand that you cant make a long movie with a 36 page book, so they had to make up a lot of stuff.
Movie Monster
August 8, 2010
One of the worst family films I've ever seen. It has a heavy depiction of dysfunctional families, bad language used by little kids, and for the record, Jumanji was better.
July 29, 2010
C
3niR
½ January 29, 2010
Kid's movie. Nothing I would like to see. But it was okay.
½ January 13, 2010
I thought that Zathura is a much better movie that Jumanji, and not just that, but the total result was a much better story and more likable characters!
January 8, 2007
Funny as all get out and fun adventure. Not as good as Jumanji, but holds its own.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
February 10, 2009
"A New Adventure From the World of Jumanji"

Two young brothers are drawn into an intergalactic adventure when their house is magically hurtled through space because of the board game they are playing.

REVIEW
What makes Zathura so great, beyond the incredible visual designs, tense challenges, and a great director, is the fact that it was adapted from a Chris Van Allburg book. The Polar Express was a visionary adventure, and Jumanji, family fun. Zathura doesn't get to be as thrilling and masterful as the animated film by Robert Zemeckis, but innovates ingredients from Jumanji, while at the same time creating new ones. It is a movie of great adventure, infinite inventiveness, and a screenplay that will please anyone in the whole family. Jon Favreau has an unlimited supply of audacity and he applies every bit of that to Zathura. Then there's the cast, which features impressive acting from young actors Josh Hutcherson and Jonah Bobo.
flixsterman
January 5, 2009
We've seen this before - 'should have been called Jumanji II
November 24, 2008
A kid's movie where a game two brothers are playing becomes life and death.
½ June 13, 2006
The question whether or not we needed a Jumanji remake in space is justified, but it's by the same writer and he obviously got away with it, so let's leave that behind us and be open minded. Because everything else about this film is actually really good and likable. It is fast, entertaining, the special effects are good, the actors seem to have fun and infect the audience with it. Children should have a blast with this, adults still young at heart as well. At least if you aren't bothered by the fact that the rules of the game are the same as in Junmanji. But we've been through that. Highlight of the movie are Kristen Stewart's panic attacks. She's gonna be a really big star soon.
December 3, 2007
looks great and has a nice boys own feel to it,a good follow up but its just not quite there..its missing something,should be more original and special but kinda falls alittle flat.the kids in it are too rough too...they kinda become annoying,need a slap hehe not bad.
SilentWarProductions2009
April 13, 2007
Directed by: Jon Favreau.
Starring: Tim Robbins, Josh Hutcherson, Kristen Stewart.

First thing I'll mention is that this is from the same author of Jumanji, so it is obvious that this story is the same, just with different characters, setups etc.

Now to the review...I can't really rate the film any higher or lower then a 3, I can't rate it higher because there was nothing new or original in the film that could set it any higher and I can't rate it lower because the film isn't bad. It is an entertaining way to fill 1 hour 30 minutes of your life, it is made for the whole family, with some great special effects and a bit of adult humour here and there for the older crowd. The film is predictable throughout, yet the endings twist was certainly a tad different. Jon Favreau does quite well in his direction, showing that he can work with any actor, no matter what age.

So overall the film is fun, theres nothing overally new here so I can't rate it higher and it isn't a bad film, so I can't rate it lower.
July 6, 2007
An excellent space boardgame adventure! Two fighting brothers learn to get along, as they play a space-themed boardgame and must overcome with real cosmic dangers in order to return their house back to Earth. I was impressed they relied on optical effects over CGI for this thrilling movie.
aliyanto
½ April 16, 2007
Jumanji in a different touch!
deano
April 2, 2007
Good heck of a wild ride with two squabbling brothers' adventure into the deepest and darkest space. It crosses between Jumanji and The Last Starlighter.
skactopus
½ March 15, 2007
Very much the same concept as Jumanji but it takes place in outer space. If you like Jumanji then you'll probably like this movie.
½ May 30, 2006
After remembering how I don't like Jumaji, seeing it in space wasn't the most appealing idea. Learning that it was directed by Jon Favreau put me into the more interested zone. This movie suceeds. The effects are good and mostly practical, despite the obvious necessary parts and the story has more fun with itself than Jumanji. It's for families and predictable, but I had fun watching.